• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

Thanks so much for the update. Glad to hear that everyone is OK. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out :thumbsup2

Only slightly off-note for my DW and I was that we had a drain pipe leak above our stateroom at around 1:30 a.m., and wound up with about 15 engineering, housekeeping, and carpentry people in our stateroom. Still not back in the room, and getting tired of wearing the clothes on our backs, but hoping it will be fixed today.

So, everyone's safe, the cruise goes on, and people are remarkably cheerful. :thumbsup2

Richard

I'm so sorry to hear that! We love the Wonder crew and I'm sure they'll make it up to you guys for the inconvenience. I hope they were able to fix your cabin :goodvibes

Please feel free to give us more updates even on random stuff!

Yep, it's Captain Gus.

This morning we are enjoying reasonably cranky seas, with some thunder and lightning courtesy of tropical storm Polo. Would still rather be cruising than at home :thumbsup2

PRINCE AND PRINCESS NIGHT – DAY 11, MONDAY, SEPT. 22nd

I've been talking to the cruise staff, and they recommend that we combine the parade for both seatings, and do it before the early seating. (The timing before the 2nd seating can get complicated and fuzzy.)

If we can gather at 5:30 by the deck 4 midship elevators, we will organize and then parade, probably to the starboard side, and down the stairs on that side.

PLEASE PASS THE WORD ALONG as I know that not everyone is checking online! :cheer2:

Thanks! Seeing You All Around the Ship! :thumbsup2
Richard

And the hits just keep on coming!

We are free from the influence of what used to be hurricane Odile, but have now sailed pretty much straight into tropical disturbance Polo. This is slated to gather strength over the next few days, so the captain has diverted our track slightly south to get into the safe quadrant, as we did with Odile.

The ship is rocking once again, and we have grey skies, and bands of showers. This should start to let up late in the afternoon, or into the early evening. I'd guess we have about 8-10' swells, but people seem more comfortable with it now than with Odile. It's not as dramatic as Odile was at its peak, but the views are more dramatic because we're seeing it in the daylight (or through the rain).

The shows and events are full, and everyone seems in good spirits. We are still ontime for our arrival in Panama, and the captain says that they are not having this kind of weather on the Caribbean side of the canal, so we should have some nicer weather then. That would be nice.

More tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Richard

Wow that is a bummer!! I hope it hasn't ruined your appetites. Hope you get some sunny weather soon.

Have there been any special events organized by the crew just for this sailing that's different from the usual? Thanks for the continued updates.

And the hits just keep on coming!

We are free from the influence of what used to be hurricane Odile, but have now sailed pretty much straight into tropical disturbance Polo. This is slated to gather strength over the next few days, so the captain has diverted our track slightly south to get into the safe quadrant, as we did with Odile.

The ship is rocking once again, and we have grey skies, and bands of showers. This should start to let up late in the afternoon, or into the early evening. I'd guess we have about 8-10' swells, but people seem more comfortable with it now than with Odile. It's not as dramatic as Odile was at its peak, but the views are more dramatic because we're seeing it in the daylight (or through the rain).

The shows and events are full, and everyone seems in good spirits. We are still ontime for our arrival in Panama, and the captain says that they are not having this kind of weather on the Caribbean side of the canal, so we should have some nicer weather then. That would be nice.

More tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Richard

There haven't been ant particular special events organized by the crew, but the Captain has been making more announcements about the weather than usual, and today held a Q&A session in WaveBands to talk about what has happened, and what will happen. Polo has turned into a tropical storm (I think), but we are well out of the way now, and moving in opposite directions.

Oh, there was a "We survived Odile" party last night at 10:45 in WaveBands. I didn't go because it was past my bedtime. ;)

Weather today is sunny and warm, with lots of broken cloud around. The seas are quite calm, with a small swell, perhaps 2-3', just enough to remind us we're on the sea, not the shore, but very pleasant in comparison. Winds are light, and mostly trailing, which further lessens the effect. Weather ahead looks much the same, and everyone, including the crew, is happy to welcome the better weather.

Full day today, but wanted to let everyone know we came through it all fine, and in excellent spirits. :thumbsup2

BTW, it's my understanding that we should have had Captain Fabien, but that his father died, so Captain Gus interrupted his vacation to take the ship from Alaska or Vancouver to San Diego. Unfortunately, Captain Fabien was unable to make it to San Diego in time, so Captain Gus stayed with the ship.

He was then supposed to get off at Cabo San Lucas, but of course we were diverted away from Cabo. I suspect (but don't know) that Captain Gus will disembark on the Panama Canal pilot boat, and Captain Fabien will join us then.

Doesn't life just get so complicated?

We're very grateful to Captain Gus for steering us through this difficult voyage. He's done a masterful job (in every sense of the word) of getting us through the incredibly complicated weather systems (two hurricanes and a tropical depression, all right in our path) that could have left us stranded in San Diego for a week or more.

And we're sorry to hear about Captain Fabien's father, and wish all the best for he and his family.

Thank you for your reports.

What day do you enter the canal?

I'm not really sure, but I think they are scheduled for Sept 20.

BTW, it's my understanding that we should have had Captain Fabien, but that his father died, so Captain Gus interrupted his vacation to take the ship from Alaska or Vancouver to San Diego. Unfortunately, Captain Fabien was unable to make it to San Diego in time, so Captain Gus stayed with the ship.

He was then supposed to get off at Cabo San Lucas, but of course we were diverted away from Cabo. I suspect (but don't know) that Captain Gus will disembark on the Panama Canal pilot boat, and Captain Fabien will join us then.

Doesn't life just get so complicated?

We're very grateful to Captain Gus for steering us through this difficult voyage. He's done a masterful job (in every sense of the word) of getting us through the incredibly complicated weather systems (two hurricanes and a tropical depression, all right in our path) that could have left us stranded in San Diego for a week or more.

And we're sorry to hear about Captain Fabien's father, and wish all the best for he and his family.

I'm so so sorry to hear that about Captain Fabien. I believe we've sailed with him before.

About Captain Gus -- I'm so glad you guys are in good hands. We really love all the crew and staff on the Wonder. The Wonder was our first sailing years ago, and it really feels like home.

I can't believe that you've already reached the mid-way point of your cruise!

So the sea is calm, almost flat today, and there is a breeze, but it's light. Warm, humid, tropical –*nice!

We arrive at the canal and anchor outside at about 10 p.m. tomorrow night, then enter the canal the next morning (Saturday) at around 5:30 a.m., completing the transit at around 3:30 p.m.

Showers are always possible at this time of year, so we are hoping for good weather. :rolleyes1

So the sea is calm, almost flat today, and there is a breeze, but it's light. Warm, humid, tropical –*nice!

We arrive at the canal and anchor outside at about 10 p.m. tomorrow night, then enter the canal the next morning (Saturday) at around 5:30 a.m., completing the transit at around 3:30 p.m.

Showers are always possible at this time of year, so we are hoping for good weather. :rolleyes1

Glad you are all getting great weather! How exciting for you to be near the Panama Canal. Have fun!

The canal is the highlight! Safe crossing!:goodvibes. I do look forward to going west to east someday!

Everyone, PLEASE remember to comment on any of the cast & crew who made your cruise special. Get their names, note which crew they work with (housekeeping, entertainment, deck, maintenance, etc.), then attach the comments in a hand (or computer) printed note to your comment card. This is EXCEPTIONALLY important to them – it can make or break their careers! pixiedust:

And thanks to everyone for being so great throughout this cruise! You are a special group of people! :cheer2:

Richard

I hope everyone had as fantastic a cruise as we did. I enjoyed getting to meet some of you.

With all of the travel disruptions today I hope that everyone has gotten to their destinations with a minimum of troubles and frustrations.

any word on refund or credits for missing first two ports of call

We received a refund for any excursions we missed and for port taxes at the. Missed ports, but there is no refund ( nor owed) for the missed ports. The Captain and crew were wonderful and took amazing care of us all. It's also in the cruise contract we all sign that the Captain can and will make changes to itineraries if needed to protect the passengers and crew.

We received a refund for any excursions we missed and for port taxes at the. Missed ports, but there is no refund ( nor owed) for the missed ports. The Captain and crew were wonderful and took amazing care of us all. It's also in the cruise contract we all sign that the Captain can and will make changes to itineraries if needed to protect the passengers and crew.

I got a whooping $8.94 refund for the port taxes of the missed ports. I simply placed the refund onto our next cruise. Whoo Hoo! $9 nearer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter