Wondering why the metric system has never been converted to by the US

Just one of those things about America that say..... we are better than you...

But maybe they think that most adults are too dumb to learn it8-)

However usually with most things, it comes down to the money and who is making it....
Peace:-)
Kerri

Not using metric makes you think you’re better? Pretty low standards..

Funnily, in the U.K. we still use the imperial system in some cases, but now largely use the metric system. Weighing newborn babies, roads (distances), photo frames and some recipes are strangely still generally measured using the imperial system. I have to say though that using the metric system for most things is much easier - it’s a given that 10mm = 1cm, 100cm = 1m, 1000m = 1km. I was taught using metric at school so find imperial a lot more difficult, although I can use both. I don’t see why it hasn’t been adopted in the States yet, but then again, you can barely use PIN in the US yet alone contactless credit cards that Europe has now, so it doesn’t surprise me ;)

Of course they have recipes, but they do not have MY recipes that I have refined and collected for the past 50 years. I'm really into food, and there's nothing I like to do better than compare recipes. Interesting how subtle differences can make such a difference.

I was a math major and have nothing against the metric system. I quite often try a new recipe that requires weighing ingredients (metric). Quite easy with a relatively inexpensive scale. But I spent years getting just the right recipe (that I like) for dinner rolls after baking countless versions that were just okay. Of course I could convert it to metric (might take a little bit to hone it as it's not really precisely the same every time I make it non-metric) - but why? I have it memorized as it is now.

Give me something new to try in metric, and I'll use it as is. I'd just turn my measuring cup to the metric side and take out my scale. But those tiny measurements might throw me. I don't have any metric measuring spoons. But if it's spices I'd probably do it to taste anyway.

As a Brit, I can say that this really isn’t a problem. We’ve adopted the metric system for many things but can switch to imperial easily. Weighing scales can weigh using both systems, measuring cups have both measurements, and we tend to use teaspoons/ tablespoons to measure small quantities of liquids (although I think that’s neither metric nor imperial). It’s really not hard to switch between recipes using the imperial system and those that use the metric system. If anything, though, the metric system seems to me to be far more precise than the imperial system.

It's odd in the UK, a real mashup. Speed on motorways is measured in miles per hour. Temperature is measured in celsius. Fuel is measured in litres. Etc.

Exactly, they know the recipe takes 1 lb of beef, not 0.454 kg of beef. That's why it's so hard to switch. It's not like 1lb = 2 kg or something easy to convert.

When I was in first grade (a long, long, long time ago), we were taught metric along with english units because the entire country was going to convert in a few years. Then, by the time I got to middle school like the previous poster said, it was voluntary and we went back to learning the english system.

It's just like any other language, you can learn it at school but the language you use at home and everywhere else is the one you will be most comfortable with.

I was born in 1970 and started first grade in 1976. We studied both throughout elementary school because the whole country was going to convert! Yeah, it seems even by 7th grade that was pretty much over!

Funnily, in the U.K. we still use the imperial system in some cases, but now largely use the metric system. Weighing newborn babies, roads (distances), photo frames and some recipes are strangely still generally measured using the imperial system. I have to say though that using the metric system for most things is much easier - it’s a given that 10mm = 1cm, 100cm = 1m, 1000m = 1km. I was taught using metric at school so find imperial a lot more difficult, although I can use both. I don’t see why it hasn’t been adopted in the States yet, but then again, you can barely use PIN in the US yet alone contactless credit cards that Europe has now, so it doesn’t surprise me ;)

As a Brit, I can say that this really isn’t a problem. We’ve adopted the metric system for many things but can switch to imperial easily. Weighing scales can weigh using both systems, measuring cups have both measurements, and we tend to use teaspoons/ tablespoons to measure small quantities of liquids (although I think that’s neither metric nor imperial). It’s really not hard to switch between recipes using the imperial system and those that use the metric system. If anything, though, the metric system seems to me to be far more precise than the imperial system.
Thanks - I agree it's no big deal for me to use metric weights and measures, but I'd really never thought about what 1/8 of a teaspoon is in metric. I personally think the US should have bit the bullet 40 years ago. But I'd probably still do most of my cooking Imperial as that's how I learned to cook. But the younger generation would have learned to cook metric by now. And people like me would be dieing off.

There are things that I do measure by weight (whether metric or Imperial) like salt. It's okay if one is talking about salt as a seasoning - but for things like pickles or things that I am canning require more precision. Salt by volume totally depends on whether it is fine, coarse, etc.

Slightly OT - but I worked for Visa International and tried to push PINs and chip cards for years before I retired 15 years ago. It was US merchants not the public that freaked out over having to change their terminals. I still remember being a keynote speaker at a conference trying to promote chip cards - I thought the rep from one of the major oil companies was going to have an apoplectic fit over the thought of having to change all their gas pump terminals.

Edit to add: I hate the chip in my card too.
lol totally understand.

I'm still waiting here for all the machines at places to be chip ready.

Just went to Aldi yesterday--nope you swipe. I honestly can't remember if Costco activated their chip yet or not around me despite having been there not too long ago lol.

Simple weights and measures are one thing. They're relatively easy to convert and figure out in your head. The thing I don't understand from my physics was energy/force/torque. I remember trying to convert in physics class and it was a nightmare. I mean - what's a ft-lb? At least in metric, newtons is pretty easy to figure out. I found myself converting to metric first to do the calculations.

I lived in London in 1970 prior to the monetary system being converted to decimal. It sure was easier when I traveled there afterwards.

In the American military we used the metric system, 24 hour time, and the day--month-year system, so... I have no idea what my point was. What year is it again?

I'm pretty good at mentally converting (estimating, not exact) between the 2 systems. Except when you start talking about Celsius to and from Fahrenheit. I definitely need a calculator for that one.

Oh, and that's only metric for distance, not weight. Still used American pounds and ounces :upsidedow

I lived in London in 1970 prior to the monetary system being converted to decimal. It sure was easier when I traveled there afterwards.

That must have been bizarre. Do you remember fractional stock prices? The really weird thing about that was that the brokerages made money on that based on the conversion to decimal.

I think the one odd thing is with how the metric system was half heartedly embraced by the auto industry. My 1974 Ford had the first U.S. built metric engine. But every other nut and bolt on it was SAE.
Same with my wife's 2000 Mercury. German built engine, all metric, everything else, SAE.

Because we didn't want it! Too many changes - thankfully, the powers that be finally gave up!! :rolleyes2
Yup.......
When I was in Grade School in the late 50's and early 60's we were told that the U.S. would be totally Metric by 1970.
We were also taught "New Math" in the 60's, and told to forget it in high School, which was a prime example of, "If it's not broke. Don't fix it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter