Would you really?

Peggy Sue

Happy DVC Member
We have had numerous discussions here about our collective desire/dreams to receive better discounts/perks from WDW for DVC members. I've read numerous posts from folks stating they are now spending more time away from WDW because they net better value for the vacation dollar.

If WDW did offer DVC members a better discount, say the current Florida resident discount, and the DDE card, would you really be more inclinded to spend all of your vacation dollars at WDW and not leave the property?

We really enjoy DVC, and WDW, but we also enjoy the ability to explore orlando now that we don't have to be park commandos anymore. Although I would certainly welcome better discounts, I'm not sure it would really send me back to the WDW parks every day. I think I would still head off to Universal, Sea World, shopping etc.

Would you use fewer "resort/pool", Universal, Sea World etc. days and spend more time at the WDW parks if DVC members were offered a better deal on ticket prices? Would you dine out more than you do today at WDW?

I think if they offered a discount on AP's it would keep more people in the parks. After all, if you already have admission many people would not want to pay to go to another park (Universal, Sea World etc). Lately my stays have been 5-7 days once per year, just a little short or about break even point for an AP. So often times we will get a 4 day park hopper and a two day pass to Universal. If there was a discount on AP's that made them a better deal, I don't think we would do Universal. Just my opinion and situation.

We were early DVC members, so we enjoyed the sales incentive that provided free admission to the then-three WDW theme parks through the end of 1999.

I can honestly say, that from the time we joined in 1994 until the end of 1999, we never went to any non-WDW theme parks while in Central Florida. We ate all sorts of dinners at WDW theme park restaurants, WDW resort restaurants, and Downtown Disney restaurants. After all, that was the convenient and fun thing to do when spending the day at WDW theme parks.

In 2000, we went to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Cypress Gardens, and shopped the outlet malls. We ate at those parks and at off-site restaurants. During one of two Central Florida vacations, we even stayed off-site at Marriott's Grande Vista (admittedly to conserve points for an upcoming Disney Cruise).

Someone on this board used the term "Golden Handcuffs" to refer to the old park admission sales incentive. I don't expect any more free passes; I knew the program would terminate at the end of 1999 (and I don't want to reopen that heated discussion). But I think Disney management is missing a bet by not selling us new "Golden Handcuffs" -- a theme park admission plan that gives us a financial incentive to remain on WDW property and visit WDW theme parks. The 10%-off on UMP isn't enough, and the DVC Magic Years Pass is a poorly designed plan.

So, for the time being, I'll rely on non-expiring, multi-day Park Hoppers. These passes give us the freedom to go to WDW pakrs when we feel like it and to go off-site when we fells like it.

If Disney gave me a "golden handcuff" I would spend more time on property.
Perhaps not all, but I am sure it would be more than I currently spend.
I find myself eating more meals at the Swan and Dolphin hotels due to their 20% discount
and their proximity to both parks.

Larry Poppins

My last visit to WDW I spent one day at AK that was my only Disney park day. If I had access to cheaper park passes I'd certainly done one day each at MK and MGM. I would also have eaten in Epcot at least twice probably 3 times as I enjoy walking into the park, take in Illuminations and a couple of shows/rides. Particularly on this visit as I stayed at BW for some of the time..

How much did Disney lose out of that?
I'd estimate for my group of 5 we spent $250 on tickets for that day and we ate one meal at Boma ( $150 ) and had lunch at Beaches and Cream ( $100)
Disney got about $500 from me this trip. I also ate at Juan and Only ( but the Swan and Dolphin are independant), at Wolfgang Pucs ( independant) and Rainforest Cafe at AK ( not sure how that works but I think independant also) .
If I'd been able to get for example a Fl resident discount I'd probably have bought the "off season one" which are what $250? I'd have spent probably $100 each day at MK and MGM. Meals at Epcot another $300 maybe more. I'd think Disney would probably got $1500-1700 from me.
I wouldn't have spent $400 at Sea World, $300 at IOA , $120 at Juan and only or $100 at Pucs.

I'd say Disney is down AT LEAST $1,000 on my trip (and I'm a cheapskate LOL :D) that will be the way it continues if they don't give me a break on passes. Of course I'm only one person/family and I may be an unusual case. But I'd be happy to put a bet on that there are a lot more people like me out there. If just 20% of DVC owners are similar to me ( 10,000 out of 55,000 owners) that's $10,000,000 a year Disney is out. Times that by 42 years ? It's almost enough to build a proper transportation system LOL

Just curious- regarding the attractiveness of deals...suppose the UMPs were offered to DVCers at 20% off? 30%? What would it take? I would think UMPs are a better deal for Disney because they expire and you either spend all days on property or you have already spent $$ for time in the parks even when you choose to be off property for a day...

How much are UMPs anyway?

Paul

If they offered tha Florida Residency Pass to DVC members it would keep us in the parks more. We have been buying 7-day passes and splitting them between two week long trips. Then we spend more time around the pool and cooking on the grill. Occasionally we head over to USF too. This next year we are planning on going to HH or Vero just because we decided that the passes are just too much for this trip. With the amount that we would spend on passes we can do an awful lot of other things at one of these places. If we got a great deal on admission I would think twice though, especially with the 100 year celebration going on.

One thing we are missing here is that DVC can't offer us Florida residents passes if we are not residents of Florida. They can, however make a new pass called DVC passes that is equal in value to a resident's pass.

Our first year as owners we did all the Disney parks only now we only do one. If they offered a better deal on passes we would buy them and spend our money in the parks so yes I am one of the 20% that disney now does not get

Disney makes their own rules, they can offer DVC members whatever they want.
It's Disney's own criteria as to what contstitutes " Florida residency" in how it offer park discounts.. IMHO it would simpler to incude DVC membership, but they coiuld word it in such a way that DVC for X amount of time is considered "honerary Fl residence" , such offers are subject to change and cancellation at any time etc etc

While we have enjoyed our dining experiences at WDW, we usually make only one, or at most, two ressies for the whole time we are at the resort. The rest of the time we "eat in" (What can I say, I LIKE to cook.), or maybe counter service.

If Disney gave us a pretty stiff discount on meals, I feel sure we would head out to the restaurants more often.

I just joined DVC last year, but my plans for the future are definitely affected by this. For instance, I plan on golfing on some of my future trips. If I spend a good portion of my day golfing, I don't want to waste a park admission to go into Epcot for a meal or to bop into a park for a ride or two ar night and a meal there. However, if I felt that it didn't cost me anything to do that, I definitely would feel free to do that. Also, given that I probably won't be going into the parks everyday, I'm much less likely to buy the UMPs, which is what we've usually done in the past. This also makes it less likely that I'll go into the parks just for a meal or a short time. I definitely would go into the parks almost everyday I'm there if I could get a good discount on APs.

No doubt about it, it would get my family in the parks more.

Good example...our next trip we will buy hopper passes. The first day we get there, we will not go into the parks and use up a day on the pass, even though we will be there by noon.

I would think this would not affect the frequency of park visits for anyone who currently buys an annual pass....it would be just making that deal even better.

I think the poll on how the DVCers buy admissions resulting in the majority buying AP's. If the majority are already doing this, then what is Disney's incentive to discount the AP?:(

I must respectfully disagree. The number in the poll (as of right now) is 48% - YES it is the largest % in the poll, but that still leaves a full 52% who *carefully manage* when they are in or not in the parks. It would DEFINITELY behoove Disney financially to get all the rest of us feeling relaxed and unworried about when we are or aren't headed to the parks - we would all wind up spending a lot more time (and money) there.

WE're trying out US/IOA this time for the first time due to having 3 days of a hopper left. I doubt if we would be inclined to go off property if an affordable pass was available. ANd the after 4pm Epcot passes for Fl residents are a great idea to get people dining in Epcot...

We currently use AP media, but do not plan on renewing. We love the flexibility to come and go to each of the parks throughout our stay, but we like it to be relaxed and we like to feel free to "do nothing" on some days. For this reason the UMP's are of little value. AP's may not be the answer this year either. Orlando is offering a growing number of options for our time and $, so rather than pay $$$ for AP's we plan on "getting out" a bit more. IF we had an attractive discount option for AP's, etc. we would be less likely to roam.

I feel DVC'ers are more value minded than the general vacationer (especially Dean, LOL); the reason WDW extends special pricing to FL residents is clear - they are in general not a typical WDW vacationer and have an array of options in their own backyard; DVC owners are not so different. While we would love to "run in" to MGM for lunch (Pot Roast at Prime Time!), it's also nice to drive over to Crossroads or DD.

DVC owners should receive value priced admission media similar to FL residents because from a marketing perspective the two groups are very similar segments. Until that happens, more of our $ will be spent outside WDW.

Yes! Absolutely!
If Disney does track spending then they are going to see that some DVC members like us are not spending as much time in the Disney parks and restaurants as we used to. I loved having the AP because we could just walk over and eat at Epcot or MGM, but I was not willing to pay for AP's for all 7 of us, just to eat in Disney. The kids were not as anxious as they used to be about going to the parks, the AP became more of a convenience than anything else.
If Disney offered a real discount on AP's or PAP's I would buy them.

I don't think that "DVC owners should receive value priced admission media similar to FL residents because from a marketing perspective the two groups are very similar segments"

One group is coming to FL to stay on WDW property, guaranteed for the next 41 years, but for limited times. A week or two for the most part...

The other group is always in FL and can stay and will stay anywhere (including in their own homes/backyards) May never come to WDW, but potentially could come every day of the year easily in some cases.

Not similar at all from a marketing perspective.

Paul

We too bought PAP's this year because we had planned multiple trips this year to Disney - we LOVE being able to come and go as we please, and would definitly purchase PAP's again if they were discounted.

However, since there are no discounts available to us, in future trips we'll go with 7 day hopper passes, and use the days as needed. We won't go into the parks as much, maybe only once or twice a trip, adn since we NEVER cook on vacation, Disney is loosing out on our food, beverage and souveneer business by not providing a discounted admission that can be used by the majority of DVC owners (the newly announced plan of multiple days/years just does not work for us at ALL).

I also anticipate trips in the future where we won't go into the parks at ALL.

We WILL spend more time at UA/IOA, especially since they offer a GREAT Seasonal Annual pass, with blackout dates during high season, which is a REALLY good deal.

Disney, say goodbye to our money, except for our hotel bill (which is neglible since we're DVC members), and hello Universal!

I just went back to the "how do you buy admissions" poll and found the following:

PAP = 5.2%
AP = 47.4%
LOS = 9.25%

To me, people holding those admissions are pretty much free to go in and out of parks at any time during a stay. These numbers add up to about 62%.

Don't get me wrong....I'd love for Disney to give us an AP discount since I am one of the 38% that don't use the above admissions packages. I just think that those execs at Disney would look at these numbers (if they are projectable to all DVC) and think that they would have to really get a huge percentage of the 48% that don't use AP's in order to offset the reduction in revenues from the 52% who would "renew" their AP's and pocket the money (probably to be spent in Disney parks anyway:) ).

Of course, one hole in my logic is that AP buyers don't necessarily buy every year so Disney could certainly increase revenues if they got AP's renewed every year. I'm sure they have their analysts running different models on all sorts of scenarios.

Last note, JonHM....feel free to disagree or correct me at any time. To me, it is important to hear all points of view. I don't think anyone benefits (especially me) if they think that their opinion is the only valid one.

Thanks for the feedback. Great discussion thread!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter