Would you shorten your WDW trip for a retirement party?

roliepolieoliefan

DIS Veteran
DH and I have a trip planned to WDW and Key West next month
I just found out yesterday a very good friend of ours (25 plus years) is retiring and the kids are throwing a party

I could rearrange plans and come home a day early so we could go
Hotel is room only and we are more than 5 days out . Airfare is bought on points and can be changed for free.

I hate to miss it because they are great friends , but disney is disney.
Im leaning toward the party
DH said hes good with what I decide

WWYD?

DH and I have a trip planned to WDW and Key West next month
I just found out yesterday a very good friend of ours (25 plus years) is retiring and the kids are throwing a party

I could rearrange plans and come home a day early so we could go
Hotel is room only and we are more than 5 days out . Airfare is bought on points and can be changed for free.

I hate to miss it because they are great friends , but disney is disney.
Im leaning toward the party
DH said hes good with what I decide

WWYD?
I would. We’d want to be part of such a major milestone in the life of a loved one. The fact that it only shortens the trip by one day and the arrangements are so easily altered makes it a no-brainer, IMO - which is what you asked for.

If it was longer than a day, I would say stick with your plans...but since it’s only one day (and you’ve been friends for so long) I think I would go to the party.

If it’s something you feel you should do out of a sense of obligation, I say no. If it’s something you actually want to attend and would be sad to miss, then sure, why not?

ETA: If it was me, I’d probably just shift my vacation dates by a day so I could have my cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
Clearly the trip was planned and booked first so I certainly wouldn't feel bad if I missed the party and instead I'd just take the friend out to dinner or something to make it a special personal celebration.

But reading your post I already feel like you know what you're going to do and since it would only be cutting your vacation by one day it may not be that hard of a choice unless its already a pretty short trip.

I'd definitely shorten the trip and celebrate my friend's retirement. Since the flight is easy to change, maybe you could start the vacation a day earlier.

Heck no, I wouldn't. You already planned the trip, paid for it, etc...this party came along later. I would hope your friend would understand.

I would go and enjoy my vacation and then do something special with your friends when u get back.

Since it sounds like it will be. A huge party, you won’t get to spend a ton of time with them anyway; so it’s might be a few minutes of chatting, but everyone is going to want to chat (think wedding reception)

Take them out for dinner when u get back - u will get more personal time then

I honestly don't think I would change my vacation. The vacation was planned before the retirement invite was received, so it isn't like you scheduled over a known event. I would celebrate or acknowledge the occasion with your friend when you get back. Something tells me they will understand, and that you will not be the only ones with other commitments that prohibit them from attending the party.

I cannot even say I have been to a big retirement bash like that. However, after being on the DIS for so many years (read for more than 12 years before I registered) I know I am an outlier on some of these social events. Retirement means the most to the one doing the retiring. I understand being happy and looking forward to the next part of your life, but a retirement party is definitely NOT on my list of must attend functions like a funeral or wedding of an immediate family member.

This person is a good friend, but did you have anything to do with their career? Did your friend's career mean something to you personally? I would think a retirement party is to celebrate a person's career. I am obviously socially inept about weddings and other things, but the retirement parties I know of are generally thrown at work and involve spouses (and maybe children) and co-workers.

I have a best friend in another state. We have been friends since childhood. I would not feel compelled to go to her retirement party as her job has really nothing to do with our relationship. She would not even be invited to mine (generally one is thrown every year and all retirees attend)

I would not feel guilty about the vacation.

If you just want to attend the party, then go for it. Maybe you can add a day at the beginning of your vacation?

I may be reading the OP wrong but there’s nothing in that post that implies she’s being pressured by anyone - this isn’t a guilt thing. It seems she’s got a genuine conflict with an event she would certainly like to attend and if she’d known in advance probably would have arranged her vacation differently to start with.

Under these circumstances I wonder if she wouldn’t be pretty distracted on that last day at WDW thinking of the party. I doubt there would be any long-term regret for foregoing that single day in favour of attending a once-in-a-lifetime celebration. I don’t think there’s a “wrong” decision here but I know for me, missing the party would be a bigger regret.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter