WOW! Fantasyland Renovation

Jessfrogger88 said:
I mean as much as I'm not a huge princess fan I think the amount of stuff for boys vs. girls is way skewed to the boys side anyway.

Boys.

Pirates
Buzz
Indy Speedway
Frontierland
Adventureland
Star Wars
Lights Motor Action
Indy Stunt Show
Dinoland
Mahlstrom
Mission Space
Test Track

Not to say that both sexes can't enjoy these attractions but I would say in general they are more skewed towards boys.

Where as the girls have...

CIndy's carrosel
Snow White
Small World
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast

As a little girl, I would have much preferred the 'boys' list to the 'girls' list - in fact, I still do! :rotfl:

But honestly, since when are Frontierland, Adventureland and DinoLand USA considered more 'boyish'? And what makes IASW more girly? In fact, there's a bunch of stuff on the boys list that I would consider completely unisex - and I can tell you that as a child, my BF would have loved the Carousel and Voyage of the Little Mermaid :rotfl2:

Actually, does anyone think that Disney could have leaked this image to "build buzz"? It's not unlike a movie production "leaking" pics from their movie. If they just came out and announced it, people would be excited, but instead they get people talking about it for weeks before the official announcement. Now again...this would only be among the on-line DIS community...but still...there is a lot of buzzing.

Skierpete

Not Imagineers style..They don't Leak info. Can you name one that has been leaked?
Heck remember when the "dis-Community" was a buzz with "Are you D23?"
They teased that, yet kept it a secrect as to what it was till they annouced.

The fact it was "leak" and NO mickey, makes me think it's not real.
But till Disney says it's not or annouces real plans...we'll never know.

But till Disney says it's not or annouces real plans...we'll never know.

Well, at least there is ONE thing we agree on!

Actually, the only way we'll ever know it's real is if that's what they do, or something similar...regardless even if they started with that plan, it will change during construction and won't look exactly that way...so you are right we will probably never know.

SkierPete

Not Imagineers style..They don't Leak info. Can you name one that has been leaked?
Heck remember when the "dis-Community" was a buzz with "Are you D23?"
They teased that, yet kept it a secrect as to what it was till they annouced.

D23 was accurately spoiled well before it's March unveiling. Here's just one example:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3307272&postcount=105
(see quoted text)

It doesn't take a WDI leak for something like this to get out. If it has reached any stages of consideration, this plan has been shared with countless Disney executives (and their assistants, and subordinates) on both coasts. Projects of this scale don't go directly from Imagineering to Jay Rasulo's desk for approval.

The leak could have occurred anywhere along that path.

Or, as suggested, it could have been stratgegically "leaked" on purpose just to build buzz. I'm not sure that I buy that one, though. If Disney is going to purposely leak a plan, the finished product had be darn close to the proposal. If the Fantasyland refurb ends up being a shadow of this plan (as speculated on Screamscape), then Disney is more likely to be hurt by the early release. I don't see them having anything to gain by circulating plans for a $300,000 refurb and ultimately doing a $100-150k job.

Well, at least there is ONE thing we agree on!

Actually, the only way we'll ever know it's real is if that's what they do, or something similar...regardless even if they started with that plan, it will change during construction and won't look exactly that way...so you are right we will probably never know.

SkierPete

Ok it's to disagree...we're talking about rumors here.
and as I've said I like the plans (except the No mickey part and waiting in line for each princess one at a time)
But it's like debating the Loch Ness Monster.
Till it's out in the open, you can't prove it's real or not real.

Ignoring my kids (who would probably love these changes), let me give my guys' perspective.

First, as has been mentioned, there is plenty of boy-theming in the Magic Kingdom...so I have no problem with some extra girlosity. Also....the Princesses are a HUGE part of Disney's success (especially in products) so why not give them a really good area to showcase them.
Second, with nothing being lost except some Toontown M&G's basically (which these characters can be found elsewhere in WDW), I am really excited about these changes. I personally will not get excited about meeting/greeting fairies and princesses, but I welcome the possibility of new rides/attractions/restaurants...especially if Disney's newest innovations can be added. Plus, I think I'm most excited at the potential this "rumored change" cold have aesthetically. If done well, this area could really turn into a gorgeous part of Fantasyland to walk through. I would hope that Disney would do its Disney best to make this a spectacular-looking Princess village.

A M&G in TT, around 4 or 5 character dining opportunities, plus the princess party at the GF.. Isn't that enough?? They are cramming the princesses down our throats enough as is. I mean don't get me wrong I have two young girls who adore the princesses, but what about my poor boy? If they DO improve FL I would expect them to balance out the theming. This plan turns FL into pansy land..

M&G isn't the same thing as a section dedicated to such a huge franchise. Also character dining and the princess party are different as well and people have to pay extra to go to those. I think having a section for them is a great idea. As for the boys most of MK is more boyish. Frontierland is about cowboys and the wild west. Adventureland is things like Pirates. And Tomorrowland is things like space mountain and Buzz Lightyear. So I really don't think this will turn it into "pansy land". Disney World has something for everyone. But it is definetely balanced if they add this princess section.

I mean as much as I'm not a huge princess fan I think the amount of stuff for boys vs. girls is way skewed to the boys side anyway.

Boys.

Pirates
Buzz
Indy Speedway
Frontierland
Adventureland
Star Wars
Lights Motor Action
Indy Stunt Show
Dinoland
Mahlstrom
Mission Space
Test Track

Not to say that both sexes can't enjoy these attractions but I would say in general they are more skewed towards boys.

Where as the girls have...

CIndy's carrosel
Snow White
Small World
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast

What you have to remember Girls will go on boys rides. Boys will not go on girl rides. I have 2 of each. If i was to bring by sons to this do you really think they would want to go in? Disney is about bring families together not separating them. While I welcome any additions I do think this is a mistake and will further isolate the tween and boys

First off I would like to say I am getting too far into this already... These blueprints excite me so I am probably setting myself up for disappointment in the long run :sad1:

I am a 25 year old male with no kids and I absolutely love this concept. Disneyworld is an endlessly evolving place and changes like this are welcome. It has been quite some time since they shook things up a bit and this looks to be great.

It may be more geared towards girls, but as others have said there are plenty of boyish rides in the park. If a parent cannot get their kids to compromise and do something that their sister wants to do then you need to work on your family values a little bit. I remember when I was a kid I would have to tough out some of the less desirable attractions for my younger sisters, and went in with the attitude that I would get to see them happy in the end.

I have always said that the Magic Kingdom doesn't have a truly good restaurant that is well themed (haven't been to CRT until this upcoming August!) and usually end up taking the monorail over to Epcot to dine somewhere within the World Showcase on MK days. That being said, the 'Be our guest' restaurant really intrigues me and might be my favorite part of this blueprint.

One thing that always drives me towards Disney over other parks, despite my love for thrill rides, is the extreme care put into theming. The dark rides at Disney beat out even the best rollercoasters that I have been on (and love). I welcome new ones like the Little Mermaid and possible other princess themed ones! Don't forget that puts more people in these lines, which in turn will lower the other lines slightly. This goes for the M & G's as well. Ariel's Grotto currently has long lines, but if all 5-6 princesses + Tink all had M & G's in the same area in separate lines, each of these would be shorter than one superline. I don't know about you, but I would rather spend 15 minutes in line to meet one princess than an hour to meet 4. That way you could see one, maybe take a break from the lines and do something else, then hit up another one later!

Lastly, my wife is a HUGE fairy/princess fan, and seeing her experience this area would be marvelous.

Life is too short to get angry about changes that aren't even confirmed, its much better to spend that time getting excited about them. Get rid of that negativity and life will be more enjoyable :)

Put trust in Disney! No matter what they do with this area you know it will be done with great care and you know it will end up looking GREAT!!!! Keep the speculations going though, as this entire topic has been a fun read popcorn::

First off I would like to say I am getting too far into this already... These blueprints excite me so I am probably setting myself up for disappointment in the long run :sad1:

I am a 25 year old male with no kids and I absolutely love this concept. Disneyworld is an endlessly evolving place and changes like this are welcome. It has been quite some time since they shook things up a bit and this looks to be great.

It may be more geared towards girls, but as others have said there are plenty of boyish rides in the park. If a parent cannot get their kids to compromise and do something that their sister wants to do then you need to work on your family values a little bit. I remember when I was a kid I would have to tough out some of the less desirable attractions for my younger sisters, and went in with the attitude that I would get to see them happy in the end.

I have always said that the Magic Kingdom doesn't have a truly good restaurant that is well themed (haven't been to CRT until this upcoming August!) and usually end up taking the monorail over to Epcot to dine somewhere within the World Showcase on MK days. That being said, the 'Be our guest' restaurant really intrigues me and might be my favorite part of this blueprint.

One thing that always drives me towards Disney over other parks, despite my love for thrill rides, is the extreme care put into theming. The dark rides at Disney beat out even the best rollercoasters that I have been on (and love). I welcome new ones like the Little Mermaid and possible other princess themed ones! Don't forget that puts more people in these lines, which in turn will lower the other lines slightly. This goes for the M & G's as well. Ariel's Grotto currently has long lines, but if all 5-6 princesses + Tink all had M & G's in the same area in separate lines, each of these would be shorter than one superline. I don't know about you, but I would rather spend 15 minutes in line to meet one princess than an hour to meet 4. That way you could see one, maybe take a break from the lines and do something else, then hit up another one later!

Lastly, my wife is a HUGE fairy/princess fan, and seeing her experience this area would be marvelous.

Life is too short to get angry about changes that aren't even confirmed, its much better to spend that time getting excited about them. Get rid of that negativity and life will be more enjoyable :)

Put trust in Disney! No matter what they do with this area you know it will be done with great care and you know it will end up looking GREAT!!!! Keep the speculations going though, as this entire topic has been a fun read popcorn::

with all that i said and all my negative attitudes to this expansion, i do have to agree with you. well written! :thumbsup2

We just had lunch in the castle. As my DMIL wisely noted, ALL the dads perked right up when Jasmine was announced! Between that & the food I don't think they'll complain about eating in the castle again! We only ate in the castle because DMIL has never been before. DSes (5 & 9) had a great time though & food was really good -- better than I remembered. I even got myself a tiara and some glitter -- DH had the "who are you and what have you done with my wife" look again! (it's the anti-migraine happy pills -- they freak him out.)

Very well written. This is exactly my thoughts and what I was trying to say (except you worded it much better lol). I have told DH about this and we are also 25 with no kids and he feels the exact same way as you do.

Wow!! I'd always thought Fantasyland needed an overhaul. During Peak season it is impossible to move in there.

Actually, over the last several years, it's getting impossible to move around there any time of the year, and with the opening of the new DVC Towers right next door, that park is going to get WAY more crowded.

Actually, over the last several years, it's getting impossible to move around there any time of the year, and with the opening of the new DVC Towers right next door, that park is going to get WAY more crowded.

I dunno about that. The North Garden Wing had about 250 rooms vs the 280 villas at BLT. Granted the max occupancy of a two bedroom villa is about double, but you're looking at a net addition less than 1500 guests. Once you factor in the likelihood that many rooms will not be at full occupancy and the fact that people will visit parks other than the MK, the MK impact is pretty negligible.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for the Fantasyland rehab, though! :thumbsup2

I dunno about that. The North Garden Wing had about 250 rooms vs the 280 villas at BLT. Granted the max occupancy of a two bedroom villa is about double, but you're looking at a net addition less than 1500 guests. Once you factor in the likelihood that many rooms will not be at full occupancy and the fact that people will visit parks other than the MK, the MK impact is pretty negligible.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for the Fantasyland rehab, though! :thumbsup2

Gotta tell ya', we go to WDW a lot, living so close, and the place is getting REALLY bad, crowd-wise. Disney is offering so many "deals" these days that fill both the parks, restaurants, and the resorts to almost capacity numbers. And the situation is getting worse.

The designs look really awesome. I certainly hope that they're real. Fantasyland is getting a bit to crowded.

There isn't a lot of space between attractions so the lines go into the walkways. It's not very fun trying to get through that with four other people and a double stroller! XD

I actually would love to see them implement something similar to what the blueprint indicates. Really, not much is lost, and the new attractions will be welcome (even to this 39-year-old male).

The way I see it, the net changes are:

* Add 2 new restaurants, likely a TS (Be Our Guest) and a CS (Gaston's)
* Add new areas/attractions for Cinderella, Aurora, Belle
* Massive upgrade to Ariel area, including new ride
* Add "Pixie Hollow" area
* Toontown playground and Donald's Boat (and pooh's Playful spot?) replaced by Pixie Hollow Playground/Water lay Area
* Massive upgrades to Dumbo
* Lose Mickey's House, Minnie's House, and Judge's Tent.

I've read that this was supposed to be announced at the D23 convention in September...wonder if it was or will be?

I believe this rumor if for no other reason than the princess franchise makes $$$ and will continue to make money long after we're all gone. With that said, I have my doubts about the Tinkerbell's friends franchise being as successful, but maybe that will be one of the changes before this thing actually becomes a reality.

Also, just because it's princess themed doesn't mean it will be all girlie. Those princesses had their prince's that fought witches, dragons and brutes with swords and bare strength. And they also all had their loved-by-all-genders sidekicks helping them along the way.

I also think Toontown is boring after a couple of visits and looking pretty shabby now as well.

Don't underestimate the magic of Disney to pull it all together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter