WWYD? - AKV Kidani: 2BR Std vs 1BR Sav

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
Looking to make an 11-month reservation soon at my home resort of AKV (likely 5 to 7 nights), with the hopes of switching to a different resort at 7 months. For our last trip we stayed in a 2BR Savanna view, but don't have enough points to do that next year without borrowing (which I don't want to do). We are a family of 4 with a teen boy and tween girl. Would you book a 2BR Standard or 1BR Savanna view at 11 months, and why? For the life of me, I cannot decide which would be a better move for us. I'm trying to prepare myself in case we are unable to switch at 7 months. I just hear so many horror stories about the sofa beds at AKV that I worry the kids would be miserable with no sleep, but on the flip side they loved the animal viewing from our balcony.

Looking to make an 11-month reservation soon at my home resort of AKV (likely 5 to 7 nights), with the hopes of switching to a different resort at 7 months. For our last trip we stayed in a 2BR Savanna view, but don't have enough points to do that next year without borrowing (which I don't want to do). We are a family of 4 with a teen boy and tween girl. Would you book a 2BR Standard or 1BR Savanna view at 11 months, and why? For the life of me, I cannot decide which would be a better move for us. I'm trying to prepare myself in case we are unable to switch at 7 months. I just hear so many horror stories about the sofa beds at AKV that I worry the kids would be miserable with no sleep, but on the flip side they loved the animal viewing from our balcony.

For me it would be an easy decision and I would go with the 2 BR. We stayed in a Standard 2 BR at Kidani in December and had an excellent view of animals (no giraffes). The extra space would outweigh any possible difference in view as there are plenty of places around the resort to sit out and watch animals if you wish to do so.

For me it would be an easy decision and I would go with the 2 BR. We stayed in a Standard 2 BR at Kidani in December and had an excellent view of animals (no giraffes). The extra space would outweigh any possible difference in view as there are plenty of places around the resort to sit out and watch animals if you wish to do so.

I agree, the extra space and extra bathroom are more important to us. Plenty of places to view animals around the resort.

Yes, the two bedroom. Allocate the bathroom off the living area to DS. You'll love not having sleeping bodies in the living area.

Make sure to book a dedicated two bedroom or you'll have a sofa bed in the second bedroom.

We are a family of 4 with a teen boy and tween girl. Would you book a 2BR Standard or 1BR Savanna view at 11 months, and why?
With older kids i would probably go with the 2BR standard. They will likely appreciate having their own real beds vs the couch and the fold out chair. Plus this would give the family the whole living room space for lounging whereas with the 1BR the kids would be in the LR space.

Like the previous poster mentioned make sure it is a dedicated 2BR to ensure you have 2 queen beds in that second BR - so you will have to book at kidani to get a dedicated 2BR.

It is really just comes down to a personal choice. You can easily fit four in the Kidani 1BR with the pull out couch and sleeper chair and a second bathroom, but, like others above, I prefer the 2BR even with just four. You also have the option to book Kidani standard view 2BR with four and request a room near the Pumba elevator; if you get that request you will overlook the Pembe savanna, although you will have a long walk to bus and lobby. You could also reserve a standard 2BR at Jambo and request room on the Kudo Trail side of the building; that 2BR is smaller and has only 2 bathrooms, but about half the standard view rooms at Jambo have savanna view and if you get that Kudo Trail request, you will have savanna view because all standards on that side the building have savanna view.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. I ended up booking a 2BR Standard (dedicated) at Kidani. Figured this type might be harder to secure later on, plus it buys me a little time to decide. I was debating splitting the reservation into two parts to enable easier online modification for a potential split stay but I wasn’t sure so I didn’t do it. Our current thought was to maybe try for a couple days at Vero at the end of our stay (but I may go cash on that if it is a better deal). I’m still a newbie at all of this.

Ask the kids what is more important to them, the extra privacy/space or the Savannah view.

I see you already booked and I think you made the right choice! The extra space seems like a no-brainer and there is a lot to be said for everyone being able to sleep in a bed. I booked (2) 2BR Standard Views at Kidani last April and was pleasantly surprised to still have a view of animals from our rooms so you might end up with the best of both worlds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter