WWYW - What Would You Wear

Yujailec

Mouseketeer
Hello, everyone!

I am planning for my Disney World trip this coming September. I know it's still early to be planning what to pack but it's what I do, overplan! :)

I know it will be hot and it can be hit or miss with the rain so I've got ponchos in my packing list. But we have reservations at a few signature restaurants - Jiko, Flying Fish, California Grill, Boathouse - 2 out of the 4 are on park days. The other two we will be going from our resort so I can dress up a little more with out worries about hot, sweaty park days.

For parks, Like most people, I like to dress comfortable and sporty but on the days where we have the signature dining reservations, I'd like to take it up a notch. Keep it comfortable but a little more elegant. How casual is too casual?

What would you wear?

Thanks in advance!

To be honest, I really don't care how casual I am at Disney. Most restaurants don't have a dress code, so I wear what I wear to the park. If anyone scoffs or judges me for wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I honestly don't care. I won't ever see any of these people again, and their opinions don't affect me. That being said, I'm not going to openly flaunt the dress code; I wouldn't wear pajama pants and a belly shirt or anything like that. I just don't feel the need to dress to the nines.

If I happen to go to a place that DOES have a dress code, I have simple, comfortable dresses that I can wear with bike shorts underneath. I have worn dark khaki cargo capris and a simple purple hippie blouse before as well. I don't pack much that I can't wear to the parks.

A pair of jeans or capris and a plain t-shirt will also suffice, as per the dress code.

I'd say that what you'd consider wearing for "Casual Friday" at a professional office would be a good indicator of what you would want to wear.

If its a park day I'm wearing my normal park attire to restuarants.
Shorts, T-shirt, sneakers...
If its a non park day I'd consider a sundress and comfortable flat sandals with a strap.

When my housemate and I ate at Napa Rose in Disneyland, we planned ahead that day and brought a backpack with a dress for each of us, plus our nicer sandals and whatever we wanted to wear under the dresses. We rented a locker and changed in a bathroom before we left the park, and it worked out pretty neatly because we were able to go on Splash Mountain right beforehand without worrying about having to walk around in sodden clothing afterward. We didn't have to dress up for the restaurant, but since it was a special meal we wanted to, and it was worth the fuss since it was only one evening out of our trip. I don't know that I'd do it twice in one trip, though. It gets harder, too, if you're park-hopping; if you're only going to one park it's not such a big deal to rent the locker one time for the whole day.

Any chance you can go back to your resort for a late afternoon/early evening break to change? Otherwise I'd probably just dress a little nicer on the park days when you have reservations (so a nice top instead of a t-shirt, etc.) and just live with being a little bit underdressed at dinner.

Sorry cant tell your gender from name. I wear super cute dresses cool dresses the entire time i'm at Disney, with bicycle shorts to prevent chafing. If your a guy maybe try a utility-kilt its cool and dressier than shorts.

I usually carry some type of park bag and if my evening dinner reservation is at a nicer place I pack some flat sandals that dont take up a lot of space and maybe even a nicer shirt / blouse that is a wrinkle free material so I can dress up a little for dinner. I sometimes even pack some bracelets. They key is to pack light weight things that dont wrinkle :) I hate to go for a nice dinner in that park clothes I had on all day long... :)

Other than Victoria and Albert's they really don't care what you wear at the resteraunts. If you are concerned then call the restraunt itself and ask what is required and appropriate.

Jiko, Cali Grill, and Flying Fish are a little fancier than the Boathouse for attire. Dresses,skirts,Capris, and skorts are my favorites. I pick lightweight breathable fabrics. I usually freshen up in the restroom by carrying facial wipes and a little make-up, a travel size deodorant, and a mini perfume. I think most people at The Boathouse dress a little bit more casual.
The dress code states"Dress is informal in all theme-park restaurants, but Disney has a "business casual" dress code for some of its resort restaurants: dress slacks (or dress shorts) with a collared shirt for men and jeans, skirts, or dress shorts with a blouse or sweater (or a dress) for women.

I'm the kind of gal who wears mindi skirts and sun dresses all summer long even while vacationing in WDW. I haven't worn shorts since I was 18. What can I say, I'm a girlie girl! However even with skirts and dresses the ones I wear in the parks are casual and fun. Light colors and light fabrics help to stay cool. On our non park days where we have dining reservations I tend to step it up and do what I've termed vacation chic. I wear summer dresses that tend to be off the shoulder, halter tops, slightly darker in color but still summery. I'll accessorize with different bracelets, strapy sandals, and a fun lip color that takes my day look into a grown up evening look.

Since we'll be there this August for 10 days we've built in 4 non park days into our trip which means 4 dinner looks I get to have fun with.

I agree with some of what was mentioned above.

For Jiko and Flying Fish, I would wear slacks and a polo shirt (business casual). One of guys we were wish (4 couples total) wore shorts and a silky topical shirt to the Flying Fish the last time I ate there. As for the BOATHOUSE, I would wear either nice shorts or slacks and again with a polo shirt or topical shirt. Usually when we have signature dinner reservations, we make them pretty late so we can go back to the room and freshen up some. In all situations, my wife would wear nice short and a blouse, sundress, skirt and nice shirt.

I'd google 'resort wear' and add your gender. That should give you some good ideas. Disney is pretty casual in most cases and for dinner you'll see people in everything from jeans to suits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter