x ray damage

mbtileguy

Mouseketeer
when do the xray machines at the airport damage film before you take the pics or after the shots are taken? i only use throw away cameras and heard the xray will hurt them? i have been lucky in the past but dont want to take any chances. is it true security will hand inspect if you ask? i was looking for the bags that protect them but cant find them around? i think everyone has gone digital but i am not good with eletronics. thanks

xrays will harm film anytime the film is exposed to it. As far as I know they will hand instpect your bag if you request it.

The screening of CHECKED bags is the biggest issue with film, don't put it in your checked bag exposed or unexposed, too much potential for disaster there. The screening of CARRY ON bags, a little more leeway. The xray equipment has the potential to harm any type of film, but generally anything under 800 speed film will be fine. Also, it's the cumulative amount of passes through that you want to be concerned with. Once down, once back, shouldn't be an issue.

As for hand screening bags and items. They are SUPPOSED to do it by passenger request. However, some are a little nicer about it than others. In my experience, MCO personnel are horrible about it. (I really want to believe it's not everyone, but it has happened to me on multiple occasions, encountering a terribly rude TSA employee when politely requesting a hand screen. One such employee actually grabbed my bag of 35mm film rolls from my hand (which, incidentally, I had taken out of their cannisters and put into a ziploc as recommended to make things easier) and tossed it onto the belt and sent it through before I could even finish my question. Another huffed at me and yanked a camcorder tape from my hand, hand screened it, and then practically slammed it down on the counter when they were finished. (In this instance, I even had handy the email from the company which makes the tapes, they recommended hand screening to avoid potential damage.)

I am so glad I have gone digital for a variety of reasons, but not the least of which is not having to deal with the above. My home airport incidentally (BDL - Hartford, CT) is awesome about things such as this. Not much experience elsewhere, but even post 9/11 I had an easier experience in WASHINGTON D.C. than in Orlando.

1. I have been thinking of going back to those "film protector bags" they sell in camera stores, but still keeping the film in carry on baggage.

2. Anyone have any experiences summoning a TSA supervisor right away when the line employees got rude?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I never had a problem with the film going through the xray machines in my carry on luggage. I used to get the camera bag checked by hand, but they don't seem to even let me speak the words anymore. They just make me put it on the conveyor belt and in it goes. No problems to date anyways. One thing I do is get the film developed while on vacation at a one hour place or by bringing the mailing envelopes for a development company and sending them out from WDW. That way, the film doesn't go through the xray machine twice.

Actually, this is what I used to do as I am now totally digital. I miss the days of color slide film though...

1. I have been thinking of going back to those "film protector bags" they sell in camera stores, but still keeping the film in carry on baggage.

2. Anyone have any experiences summoning a TSA supervisor right away when the line employees got rude?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

The film bags will protect the film, but will also probably prompt a hand screening of your entire bag by TSA, as the machine won't be able to tell what it is, just to let you know. So plan for that extra time if you're going to go that route.

I went to a supervisor in Orlando once about a rude screener (actually, what I did was ask another screener where there was a supervisor, and this person pointed them out to me), he didn't really seem to care. Well, he listened to my complaint, which is what mgmt. is there for in all industries, but he didn't really seem to care to address it. His only answer was to tell me that the film would be fine, and wouldn't come out damaged. Which at that point wasn't really my issue anymore.

I never had a problem with the film going through the xray machines in my carry on luggage. I used to get the camera bag checked by hand, but they don't seem to even let me speak the words anymore. They just make me put it on the conveyor belt and in it goes. No problems to date anyways. One thing I do is get the film developed while on vacation at a one hour place or by bringing the mailing envelopes for a development company and sending them out from WDW. That way, the film doesn't go through the xray machine twice.

Actually, this is what I used to do as I am now totally digital. I miss the days of color slide film though...

I actually never had a problem either, including the trip where I had the encounter with the rude TSA screener, but I just didn't want to risk the chance with precious vacation photos. And add to that that I had a lot of 800 ISO or higher film on me, which I've read is more susceptible to xray damage.

I never thought about the mailing envelopes, that is a good idea, wish I had thought of that in the days I was using film. I do kind of miss my old 35mm SLR once in a while. (I'd still be shooting with it, had it not been for a break-in which robbed me of most of my photography equipment and prompted my swift transition to digital - figured if I was going to invest money in new equipment, I may as well.)

For anyone interested: I have one of those lead film bags that I will give to first person to contact me. All it will cost you is shipping...

I think that as long as you take it out of your carry on and put it through the xray machine seperately, the TSA folks will allow it.

I never thought about the mailing envelopes, that is a good idea, wish I had thought of that in the days I was using film. I do kind of miss my old 35mm SLR once in a while.

The mailing envelopes are cool because you can just send them out and when you get home, usually your pics are there waiting for you. I used to do this all the time, or get the Disney photo processing for a hefty fee. Do they still do this in the digital age?

I've never heard of film being damaged because of x-ray machines. I'll have to keep an eye out on it for my next trip, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. And I can't say that I've packed it in anything special that I'm aware of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter