XMas time crowds.. Please help

Simba0319

Mouseketeer
I have decided along with a friend to take the kiddies to my favorite place Mickey's house after XMas. I will be arriving on the 27th and leaving Jan. 4th

I need to know exactly what I am in store for. Any one been there at that time PLEASE let me know how crowded it will really be.

Thanks for the help!1

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi Simba - We've done Disney at Christmas twice and it really depends on what's important to you. If the parks are your major motivation please know that the crowds are insane.... They permit way too many people into the parks,especially the MK, making it very difficult to even manuever around never mind get on a reasonable # of rides. Epcot is the least crowded but even that park draws huge crowds. I've often overheard people visiting from other countries commenting on how little they get to do for their money. Some people save for years only to be disappointed by the overcrowded conditions. This Christmas may be even worse because of Disneys' financial problems. I don't imagine they will be turning away customers.
If soaking up the fabulous atmosphere is more important to you than the rides, then Disney at Christmas can't be beat. You can do an entire vacation without going into the parks!!! Every resort has something wonderful to do or see and Downtown Disney is dressed up as well. The beauty and magic simply cannot be beat and you will certainly have plenty to do but don't expect to have any leisurely strolls through the parks at this time of the year. We stayed at the Dolphin for 10 nights last year (12/24 - 1/2) and 9 nights in 1998 (4 at Poly & 5 at Beach Club) and really enjoyed our resorts. We had annuals so we did the parks as well and just left when crowds were out of control. If you go have a wonderful time.
:smooth: :smooth:

Thanks for the info. I too have an annual pass so I guess we will take it easy and not stress. We were just there in April and my friend was in July so we don't need to see everything.

Thanks again, Emily

That's the best way!!!! It's so much more enjoyable when you don't have to do the commando routine around the parks.... Two things I would highly recommend are the MVMCP in the MK & the CP at Epcot. They are a must do at least once but they can be costly. If you can get family members to give these as gifts to the kids instead of toys, it would be a lasting memory for all of you. You can see the CP without the package but if you can, the dinner and the preferred seating make it an extra special night.The MVMCP is more fun for the kids so if you can only do one BIG thing make it the MVMCP. You will have a wonderful time either way!!:D

Thanks for the info. MVMCP is not running at the time of our trip and I already booked a Cp package at the garden grill with the characters.

Thanks, EMily

:) If your plans are flexible, the best time and least crowded is from Thanksgiving through the first 2 weeks in December. We have been 4 times in the last 5 years during this time and the crowds are fantastic. No wait rides. The temperatures get a little frigid late afternoon into the evening, but who cares when you are at Disney World!

MVMCP is the best. I wouldn't miss it no matter how old or young you are. The shows and the parade are great! Hot chocolate and snow falling in the Magic Kingdom make you feel right at home.

We are going down 12/6-12/15. Family of 13 ranging from 8 to 68 years old. Mom is treating and we are staying at the Polynesian.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to contain myself until we leave? I've been counting down since December 25, 2001 when Mom sprung it on us that she was "buying."

minnie602220
We are heading down the same time 12/6-12/15!! (we will be at OKW).

We're getting close, so why fight it! :D We have been listening to Disney music in the car on the way to work (we love the music/songs from Illuminations), watching Disney movies (just got the B&tB DVD) and watching our videos from past trips! And you really need to add a countdown to your posts... it's just fun!

How about Dec. 15-22? Do you know about the crowds then? I was thinking about going but do not want to be in the insane crowds described earlier. We've always gone in early May and love it. I just want to see the Christmas stuff.

Thanks,
Jen

The major invasion seems to begin on the Friday before Christmas - which is Dec. 20th this year. It only gets worse from there.

Jen that is the exact time that we will be there. Originally we were sheduled for the 9th till the 15th but had to move it to the 15th till the 22nd. I figured that the weekend of the 20th would be crazy as GEM stated but it was the only week I could change to, everything was sold out for the fist 2 weeks in Dec.

For the past two years, we've gone the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The Christmas decorations are up and the crowds have been relatively small.

We're skipping this year because of a cruise that we're taking, but we are already planning for 2003. An advantage that we have is that we home school, so that we can go when the traditional schools are in session and not wait for breaks.

Is anyone concerned that most of the resorts are sold out for Thanksgiving week? Do you think this year's crowds are going to be at an all time high? I've tried unsuccessfully to get a room at a deluxe for Thanksgiving week. However, there is plenty of availability for 12/29-1/4. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It could be possible that Thanksgiving is booked since it is closer and people are waiting to book Christmas reservations. It does seem like there is plenty of Christimas availability since I have been looking at 12/28-1/4 and have found rooms at every Disney hotel.

I haven't been in ages. We're going during the busiest time, though. So we'll be having the more commando type vacation because we only have a few days (4/5)
We plan on having the "must" list and doing those early in the morning.
Then just soaking up the Disney atmosphere, enjoying the park full of people (It's not Disney-ish unless everybody's there!) and share in the happiness of just being there.

Were going down on christmas day, and leaving on like the 3rd of january..but its allll good, cuz i like a good challenge, and will use any means necessary to push people out of my way lol...nicely..lol

I went down for the Miillennium celebration, 1999 going into 2000..Surprisingly enough it was only crowded new years eve, aside from that the lines were short and it wasnt to crowded

Alex

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter