Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

Good Morning and Happy 4th of July!

I just recently returned to the DIS Boards and I am so excited to find this section.

I have only had my Rebel for about 4 or 5 months. I have the kit lens and a 55mm/f 1.8 ii and I love the pictures I am getting. I am still learning so I don't change the settings much past the presets. (I am a teacher and using some time this summer to read and learn more)

Anyway, having said all that, my son plays high school lacrosse and I find that, while the pics are great, I can't seem to get as close a zoom as I would like. Can you recommend a lens? We also *may* be going to Italy for a special vacation next year so I would also like to be able to capture the detail of architecture on the top of buidings or take pictures from a great distance.

I also have discovered from these boards that I probably need tripod and maybe a remote. Where do I get these? How do I know what to buy? I do know that I would want it to be compact for travelling.

I've been using the 55mm for taking close up pictures of my new twin nephews primarily but I have read on this board that it is good for night shots. I thought it was a "portrait lens" and as such for faces. (please don't laugh) I guess I have alot to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Is your son's lacross games always in the bright sun, or do they play night games, that will make a big difference in your needs.

I also suggest getting understanding exposure and reading it, it will help you a lot with your learning curve.

Most of his games are in the daylight bright sun. Parents are generally a good distance away.

I have that book on my list as a result of this board.

Would you recommend a course at the local community college as well?

You certainly came to the right place for information. Most of the regular posters on here know their stuff.

I am certainly no expert. I also have an XTi, and have barely scratched the surface as to what the camera can really do. A combination of reading and actually using the camera to try the things you read usually works well for me.

I recently bought the Canon RC1 remote on Amazon for around $20. It works great, and I am waiting to use it on some fireworks pics this weekend. About two weeks ago, I purchased a Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 lens from Adorama.com for about $120. I love it so far. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get some good results.

A tripod and or monopod are also good investments, and will last for some time.

Good luck, and keep on clicking!

If the games are going to be during the day, then you should easily be able to get away with one of the basic 70-300mm lenses. Canon makes a few 70-300mm lenses with IS, but they are more expensive. Though for outdoor sports it does help to have the IS to help with camera shake. If you go with one of the basic ones then I would also get a monopod. Holding a camera with the lens at the 300mm end (even anything over 200) can get your hands a bit wobbly. A monopod would definatley be a benefit.

I have the 100-400mm--it's a bit of a beast, but seems to be spot on for the application you have in mind. As the PP mentioned, a monopod or tripod would be a very good idea.

Thanks to a lot of help I am going to purchase a XTI as my first DSLR. It's coming with the BG-E3 grip, extra batteries, a couple 2GB Extreme III cards, protective filter, remote, and a EF 50mm 1.8 lens. I need that lens because, to be quite honest, it's all I can afford to take low-light photos at concerts. I will need to pick up another lens that I can use for Disney next month and pix of my kids at sports/school, etc... Can anyone please recommend a decent lens that would be good for those conditions that isn't going to break the bank? I'm talking a couple hundred bucks at the most. As I can save and learn more about lenses I hope to move on to better equipment, but at this time I need what will get me through with the best results I can get.

Does anyone know where I can get a comfortable neck strap for my camera or how I could make the one I have more comfortable? Last year I wrapped a cloth around the strap in the back of my neck. Was a pain everytime I took it off though. I have a Canon Rebel XTi. Wearing the camera all day long in Florida's August heat is murder. Thanks for any ideas.

I'm a girl and I like the girly straps made by vmjess on etsy.com. You can do a search there and easily find them.

I bought mine from tracyjoy on etsy. There is also a tutorial that you can use to make on of your own if you're into sewing. Let me know if you want the link.

I bought mine from tracyjoy on etsy. There is also a tutorial that you can use to make on of your own if you're into sewing. Let me know if you want the link.

I would like to take a look at it if you don't mind .

Thanks everyone for all your help.

op/tech claims they make your camera feel lighter and i think it's true. great strap. it grips good ie if you have it on your shoulder it stays put and is comfortable where ever you wear it.
the straps on esty are very cute but i don't think would be much more comfy than the one that comes with the camera...the wrist strap on the other hand might be something i would consider sometime....wish they made durable gigantic camera bags
and it did give me the idea i could make something to cover my horrendous burgundy strap although it wouldn't be as grippy with a cover

Another vote for the Op/Tech straps. I have the Pro one. Was about $20. WELL worth the money!

The straps the camera companies send with the camera are awful at best.

OPTECH

How many times do we have to say it!!!

I love my Canon, but would love another lens for it. I have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, but for some events it is not a long enough zoom.

I am looking online at 2 different lenses for everyday use.

Canon EF-s 55-250 f/4.5 IS and
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Would you recommend either one of those lenses? A different lens all together? and please tell me why you prefer whatever lens you recommend.

Thanks

i would probably go with the 55-250 for the money...are you happy with the quality of your 18-55? if not i would check out the tamrons f2.8 28-70 or 75, about $100 more than the canon but from photos i have seen the image quality is a little better although the range is less...the photos i have seen with the 250 look a little soft in the 200+ range( one group had some really bad noise so not sure what they did there, it was in daylight, don't know what camera they were using or the exif data) so it depends on how picky you are. the reviews for the 55-250 are pretty good, like around 8.8 on fred miranda so it probably would be a ok lens to use for a walk around. i have a 28-135 i use a lot but it is still close to $400 i think so for the price difference ( and the fact i think the 28-135 can be good or a total dog, i've had one very good and one very bad copy) i'd probably go with the 55 or get the better aperture with the tamron...the only thing i would really dislike about it is the f4-5.6 which makes the tamrons more appealing to me. i find the 28-135 very limiting in lower light situations but fine for outdoor daytime stuff. mine just doesn't want to focus in lower light so the is doesn't help there at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter