• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Years of a Mmillion Dreams. Same as DL?

Quest4fun

<font color=blue>I'm gonna have fun and you're gon
I've been enduring the Year of a Million Dreams at Disneyland for what feels like a decade now and I was wondering if the Disneyworld has a different flavor to it.
The Disneyland version is pretty evasive and tends to have everybody (or at least me) feeling like they're missing out on a piece of the prize. The chance to win just doesn't do it for me.

I don't know for sure of course, but DW has the same rules and such. Unfortunately you can't give everybody a prize! I don't know if any contest does that! Thankfully Disney is fun enough without prizes but I love the promotion (of course I've won 5 official dreams and numerous smaller things!)

I've been enduring the Year of a Million Dreams at Disneyland for what feels like a decade now and I was wondering if the Disneyworld has a different flavor to it.
The Disneyland version is pretty evasive and tends to have everybody (or at least me) feeling like they're missing out on a piece of the prize. The chance to win just doesn't do it for me.
Read some of the other posts on this board.

The biggest issue I have with the YoaMD promotion is that some guests have unrealistic expectations and when they don't win they wind up feeling "cheated". Personally, I think it's unrealistic to expect to win and that being at WDW (or DLR) is enough of a treat, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, people arrive with "expectations" of winning a prize becasue Disney pretty much advertises it as so. Surely, with a "million" dreams, and shows and parades that go on and on and on and on and on and on about how dreams come true, who wouldn't begin to expect to have a dream fulfilled? And I further bet that less on 1% of the visitors are even aware that there are "rules". Then, most people don't win anything, much less even SEE a dream team member (we were there 4 days last week, and didn't see any evidence of the promtion, but you can sure it was ALL over the TV, the parades, the fireworks, the billboards and the shows, there was no way you could miss it). Then when people are unhappy because they don't win anything, even so much as a smile, they get critized for being "sore" losers. Yet, Disney constantly bombards them with "Dream" messages. That is why I think this promotion sucks. It has thousands more losers than winners and creates an atmosphere of "blessed" winners and tough luck losers, only the chosen few get their "Dreams".
Okay, just call me another sore loser, I guess. But, talking with many others at the parks, there are far more of us than winners.

Finally, if Disney insists on going with this promotion, it should limit any winners to 1 prize, this way the prizes get spread around more.

Dolby1000

Back to the OP... I think that they are the same at both parks. I do believe that one big difference is that people tend to stay longer at DW thank DL. So, if you are for a 2-4 day trip at DW, or a 5-10 day trip at DW, your odds are a bit better to win something and I know for my family, we just plum forgot about winning something ourselves until on our last full day... we won Dream Fastpasses!

Now, that didn't make or break our vacation... but we sure were happy!!! On a side note... it was at MK... on such a slow day... that the fast pass lines weren't even open!!! But the CM's on each ride let us cut to the front anyway, as they said, "It doesn't do any good to win those if you can't use them!". That was the real magic for us... seeing the CM's make the magic come true.

I really love this promotion, it gives people a little bit of extra magic if they get something. Sure not everyone can get something but its at least something you can hope or wish for. I guess thats the idea :confused3 :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter