Yet Another Travel Tripod Question

Me!Thatswho

DIS Veteran
Actually, it's more like two to be more precise.

First off, I have a Pentax K20d, which I love simply because it feels like a tank and works well with my "sausage" fingers. We're going to be traveling to the world in a month for a short trip. Because we're going "light" on the packing, I don't want to lug my larger tripod - not to mention that I have been given explicit instructions that there won't be room for it in the suitcase. And, because I'm going to try (huge emphasis on the try part) to shoot Hallowishes, I can't use my monopod (plus, it's the Manfrotto 560B which doesn't really collapse that small to begin with). I know that there has been several threads in recent months asking the same question, but I was wondering if those of you with heavier DSLRs have any recommendations for a travel tripod?

Also, to the same class of respondents, have you ever tried pairing one of those gorilla-pods with your camera, and, what kind of experience/success did you have?

Thanks in advance.

For travel, I use the Cullmann Magic 2. I use it with my Pentax K10. Its a great travel tripod and converts to a monopod. It weighs about 2 1/2 lbs and folds flat measuring about 13" x 5". It extends to 56". It fits perfectly in a suitcase because it folds flat. It comes with an ok ballhead. I also have the Gorillapod SLR Zoom. I used it to shoot fireworks from on top of a table at the dessert party. It did well. I have attached the link to B & H's website for the description of the Cullmann. Adorama and others also sell it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=cullmann+magic+2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Thanks! Based on the previous threads, I have been eying the Cullmann. I was, however, hesitant because of the weight of the camera. But, seeing how the k10 is also a tank, I doubt I will have any problems.

Also, thanks for the conformation about the gorilla pod. While I probably will wait on it for now, it's nice to know that it too will be an option for future trips.

:thumbsup2

I have the Cullmann as well and it is a good travel tripod. Overall pretty sturdy. I used it last week with my Canon 40d, 28-70 L lens and a 17-40 L lens and it help well.

I too was in search of a good travel tripod for when I take an evening to shoot night photography at Disneyland. I didn't really need a travel one but I didn't want to carry around something heavy even though I was only in the park a few hours.

I chose the Benro Travel Angel (http://www.benrousa.com/products_catalog_CarbonTravelAngelTripodKits.html)

I picked up the 169, but it looks like they are offering a different ballhead with it now. It does take a bit more time to set up than my Manfrotto with the tab release. This one uses a twist release. There is more setup and break down time, but if your shooting fireworks or staged shows it not really a big deal and you get quick at it. I have used it as a monopod while kneeing. I like that it comes with a case.

I have a slik 714 with a manfrotto ball head on it. completely portable and used many times at Disney at this point. It's the only one I use at this point although I now have several others, some that I bought and some that I have inheritied at this point.

I love my dads old metal tripods, they simply can't compare at this time with what the Slick gives me.

Thanks for the additions to consider. Maybe choosing won't be as easy as I once thought. But, it's nice to know that I'll have options!:thumbsup2

Hello guys, can I have a question for a while? what are the things that we must have to consider when we are going to travel? Thanks for the post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter