Yet Another Vacation Home Question

I think I will continue to rent my houses from an agency. Last time I rented a house there were a few initial problems and they immediately moved me into another house in the same development. A private owner can't do that. The time I called to complain about AC trouble, they sent someone to fix it the next day. I also didn't have to worry about getting a deposit back since I didn't leave one.

I remember being told to bring my own washcloths for my first stay at a rental home. There were washcloths available at this home but the management company told me that not all of them provide them. I always bring my own regardless, but I've never had a problem not finding any.

I'm with Bonnie on this... if you are disappointed by a private owner, you usually are just stuck with it. And the deposit issue, I'm sorry, the fact that I don't have to wait for a reimbursement in case I'm disappointed or have to cancel is priceless in my world.

I agree with Angela and Julie about most vacation homes providing washcloths. We come from Iowa, which is very much into hospitality. We have often thought about possibly buying a vacation home to rent and do that sort of thing when we retire. I know we would bend over backwards to make people happy and to give them a nice vacation. I'd suggest you ask about the washcloths. If it's a woman and she says, "No washcloths" Look Out!
And in Julie's and Angela's defense, I'm sure there are wonderful people out there that rent vacation homes and want people to have a nice experience. We just picked the wrong one.:(

We rented a house at Sunset Lakes from floridaleisure.com at Thanksgiving 2 years ago. It was great, there was a dirt back road that took us past the traffic and to Disney's door in approx 10 or so minutes. Especially the Animal Kindgom. The house was GREAT! 2 master bedrooms with baths, 3 other bedrooms. There were 2 tv's, vcrs, a private pool that we heated for 10 a day (I think). They came and checked the house everyday to make sure everything was ok. it was very clean and all bedding,towels were provided. There was also a washer/dryer. Another thing I liked was that you could rent some extras right from the company. We needed a highchair and playpen, but we also rented a kids kitchen and dishes, and some legos. Our only regret was that due to the door locks on our house we had to return the key to the company on our final day, which did take us very far out of our way. I believe if the door will lock behind you, you can leave the key in the house (but I am not positive on this point).

Originally posted by pomcoach
We rented a home in Jan. that was near the Splendid China area. Although the home was nice and allowed us to spread out it, the pool was freezing and we couldn't even stay in the hot tub for more than 3 min., because it was so cold. We had paid an outrageous price for the 3 bedroom home and a top added price for the pool to be heated. This home was owned by a lady from England. When we arrived, we wanted to take showers and go to bed. It was Midnight. There were no washcloths and the towels in the closet were damp when they put them away. I called the lady, but she said they didn't provide washcloths! Try driving miles and miles to find a store open in the night, not knowing which diretion to go. It was no fun! Then of course no pool at all for the whole week, because it was just too freezing like ice. We called 3 different days about the pool temperature. We even went out and got our own pool thermometer. She didn't even give our deposit back for a month, until we called and asked her. Very unethical person. We'll take our chances with a hotel from now on.

I was wondering if you had paid for pool heat? Most every home I see for rent has a special rate for pool heating.

As far as renting a home Vs a hotel, I have read alot of horror stories about hotels as well.

I always say read the fine print and make sure you are thorough in cheking everything out before you sign on the dotted line. It is a buyer beware market everywhere you turn.

kidzmom3,
Just wanted to apologize for the journey you had to make to return the key. We have tried to learn from this experience and if the house you stay in next time doesn't have a door you can lock behind you we will be pleased to provide a portable lockbox so you can drop the key in there.

General- Wash cloths. Very interesting to read some of the comments here. I do agree about a cultural thing. In the UK not many folks use them these days....most folks I know use towels. Further, some homeowners do provide them but it is not generally something that a MC would provide. We always carry loads of them around in our service vans for those folks who want them, so if they aren't in the house you rent...call the MC company and request them. The comment about bringing your own is well founded and a great idea !

Pool Heat - as far as I know it is always an extra charge. It is essential in the Winter months - Sept - April.

When we rented the 4 bedroom, 3 bath home near Splendid China, we paid about $20 a day for pool heat. We even agreed with the woman on the temp. that the pool should be at. We had an e-mail in writing from her about the exact temps, but she didn't keep her word at all. In fact, I'm not sure if she ever actually heated the pool or the hot tub at all. Another weird thing, when we arrived at the home, there was a gadget on the door to the pool that kept beeping loudly like an ear peircing alarm. We called the lady, and she said to just let it beep, or to disconnect it. It was for safety in case a child might go out the door and be near the pool water. We figured out that the battery must be low and that was why it beeped. We had to drive around in the middle of the night to find batteries to put in it so it would quit blasting. No one could even go to sleep. What a nightmare that house was! :eek:

We had guests staying in our villa last Christmas who paid for pool heat. Many of you will know that the weather in Orlando at that time was very cold.

The guests contacted my management company because the pool was cold. My MC immediately visited them to explain that when the air temperature falls below a certain level the pool heater can not work. Our guests were happy with this and I am sure it did not spoil their holiday. They spent their time in Disney not in our pool.

On their return home I did not hesitate to refund their pool heat charge.

It is law that alarms are fitted to doors and windows leading on to the pool area.

Hi Pomcoach

It's such a shame you had a bad experience with your first holiday home. It's the little things that can spoil an otherwise great holiday.

As said by Julie and Angela, most villa owners (including me) will bend over backwards to make sure everything is perfect for your stay. I always ask the guest, before they travel, if there is anything they need. I want them to feel as comfortable as possible with their arrangements. We supply everything - all towels and face cloths and starters of toilet tissue, bin bag and kitchen roll. We had one guest who wanted a juicer so we bought one for them.

Regarding the pool alarms, Julie is right. These are now a requirement of Florida law, to warn parents if the door has been opened as a protection for their children. The alarm should not beep continuously, but only when the door has been opened.

You cannot promise to keep the pool at a set temperature. How can anyone know what the weather will be on any given day. But I would also refund a guests pool money if the pool became unusable. Many of us provide pool blankets to use at night and these are excellent at keeping in the heat that you have paid for.

Please don't let your one bad experience put you off renting a villa. We villa owners want you and your family to have a great holiday:) :)

Regards
Kerry

Hi, interesting discussion as we have just taken the plunge and purchased a home in the new Enclave at Emerald Island..what a beautiful location!...We will absolutely have wash cloths along with 6 towels per the 6 baths, never occured not to!!....I really hope that the more people from the USA who head for Disney start to see the advantage of home rentals that have been so well received by our friends abroad...best to all...Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter