Yo ho: Pirate makeover coming to Magic Kingdom in June: Updated with the prices

Great timing-with all of the activity with Pirate ships off the coast of Somalia.

WOW!! Have some of you forgotten what it's like to be a little kid?
Lighten up! If people want to splurge and make a magical moment for their children...what business is it of yours?
NO, it's not borderline objectification of pre-pubescent girls, NO, it's got nothing to do with the timing of pirates off the coast of Somalia...geez!
What's wrong with some of you people?

WOW!! Have some of you forgotten what it's like to be a little kid?
Lighten up! If people want to splurge and make a magical moment for their children...what business is it of yours?
NO, it's not borderline objectification of pre-pubescent girls, NO, it's got nothing to do with the timing of pirates off the coast of Somalia...geez!
What's wrong with some of you people?

EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion...............including you, so maybe you need to lighten up.

Given the terrible problems with Somali pirates lately, is any pirate make-over really in good taste? Pirates are not just a bunch of mischievious drunks who want to pillage from the rich. They are murderous, thieving rapists.

WOW... everyone - just WOW. :eek:

Well being a mom of 2 boys I have often felt disney is catering to the girls a little too much. I mean they have more than their share of princess dining and the BBB.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think it's be cool if they brought a pirate character meal to liberty tavern. That would be SO easy to do. Why do the girls get to have all the fun?

As for those guessing where it will be - I think I know. Way back when the open air shop was more of a 'garden' than what it is today. Once you get off the ride there is a wall on your right. If you go about 3/4s of the way down you'll see a set of double doors. Now it says "cast members only". But at one time it was a shop. Maybe 20' by 30' in size. I don't remember all the things that were in there as it's been a many good years. But I think they had one of the glass sculptors in there, I remember I used to love watching them as a kid.

Now I'm not saying I'm gonna rush to make a reservation - but I think it's a cute idea for those who are really into it. pirate:

My point about the Somali pairates was that timing is everything, and that this was particularly bad timing for Disney-not that they CHOSE it, just that it happened.

Boy, you DO need to lighten up a bit.

IMO, this is the kind of schlock that has ruined Disney. I can't believe so many people buy into the notion that you can buy your kids precious memories.

First of all the really young ones won't remember this crap past their 10th birthdays anyway and secondly I think as good and loving parents there are much, much better options for special family moments, that are much more genuine than a contrived Disney moment. We, as a family, have a boatload full and aside from being at Disney I'd say none include extra cost events - although I'm not saying some of these events can't be monumentous, per se....I'm just saying a Princess or Pirate makeover seems contrived and...Well, lazy to me.
pirate:

FWIW, I objected to Bibbidy-bobbidy, too, because I think it's excessive, creepy, and bordering objectification of pre-pubescent girls.

Objectification? What's next, they can't be princesses because fairy tales are make believe? Honestly, the only difference between Bibbidy and a normal haircut and style is scale. It makes the kids feel good about themselves, especially before they go see their favorite princess at a resort or restaurant. Besides, you took them to a theme park with a castle. A castle with no princesses? Why, that's just wrong. :)

I had been complaining on another thread that WDW needed something for boys. Now, I am getting something, and I am happier. I would definitely take my son to it.

Ok as a mother of one boy who really ,no REALLY wants a girl to fuss over as far as dressing her all up, I fussed last year wishing they had something for boys since it was our first trip.
This year however since we worry about the economy more,I'm glad my 3 year old isn't in to pirates. He has informed me though he wants a "hair tut" at "Dinney Wald".So Im sure we will make a trip to the barber in MK and get him a lil color too.;)

I think it sounds cute. I know that if I were a tad younger, I would absolutely love this (I am so not princess material; give me a sword over a tiara any day!). If some can unleash their inner princess, why not let the pirates have a litte fun? pirate:

i am planning to watch the boys and men come out of there with all of their new looks. it will be fun.;)

we took my granddaughter to bibbity last christmas and she had a great time.princess: my grandson did not want to go there but would have loved the pirate do. we did, however go by the barber shop at mk and he got a great hair cut and and a little added color! we all loved that and decided that we will do that for both kids this year. yes, they do hair for girls as well and it's a great little shop.

my grandson will probably like to do the pirate gig also. i think it will be lots of fun.

i might even want a bandanna and a scar myself!pirate:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/pirates-league/

Transform yerself from a land lubber into a true buccaneer! Captain Jack Sparrow is looking for pirates of all ages to join the crew of the Black Pearl. Starting June 29, 2009, visit their "secret" recruiting center in the Magic Kingdom Park. Jack's crew has pillaged the East India Trading Company's office in Adventureland, loading it up with plundered booty to create The Pirates League, where you can get yerself a whole new identity complete with name, look and pirate portrait!

It's a Pirate's Life for You!

Ahoy, mateys! Begin your piratical transformation when you receive your Official Pirate Name as recorded from the leather-bound captain's log. Next, stop by the Muster Station and leave your old self behind as the Pirate Masters perform a marauder's makeover. Hear the ways of the scurvy sea dogs as they apply yer buccaneer beard, scars, earrings and eye patches. Or even be ye a boney pirate and wear your skeleton on yer skin!

Once you have fully transformed, enter the Secret Room where your Pirate Portrait is taken for posterity and the Pirate Masters reveal their hidden treasure.

But the fun is just beginning. With your new pirate identity and map case folder, hoist yer colors and embark on a challenge in Adventureland that will shiver yer timbers!

Choose a Package

The Pirates League offers 3 packages—"The First Mate Package," "The Empress Package" and "The Captain's Package". All packages include a sword and sheath, earring and eye patch, tattoo, exclusive pirate coin necklace, map case folder, and a personalized pirate oath!

The First Mate Package at $49.95 plus tax includes:

Bandana (reversible)
Choice of Facial Effect look: Cursed Pirate, Captain Hook or Captain Jack
Fake Teeth
One (1) 5x7 picture

Empress Package at $49.95 plus tax includes:

Bandana (reversible)
Shimmering Makeup Makeover
Face Gem
Nail Polish
One (1) 5x7 picture

Additional pirate costumes for this package are available for purchase at The Pirates League.

The Captains Package at $124.95 plus tax includes:

Choice of pirate costume
Choice of Facial Effect look: Cursed Pirate, Captain Hook or Captain Jack
Fake Teeth
Three (3) 5" x 7" pictures

Make Your Reservations

For ages 3 and up. Starting May 11, 2009, The Pirates League is accepting reservations when you call (407) WDW-CREW (939-2739). Theme park admission required. Open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Join the crew—it's a pirate's life for you!

It sounds like fun. I'm a little surprised at some of the reactions here. Sure you're entitled to your opinions - but my opionion is somewhat opposite :goodvibes. Of course pirates are really very very bad. Its also true that people and elephants can't fly. Its all about the fantasy.

And going to Disney is expensive - its not so crazy to spend more money to give a little boy an extra thrill. Do I need to spend that much money to make a memory - of course not! Will it be a memory - Oh yes! Anyway, I've spent more than that on a mediocre meal at Disney :).

And the argument about not remembering it under 10? Who cares? That's the argument I heard when I took my 3 yr old to Disney. "Why are you taking her now? She won't remember it." They might not remember every detail, but fun experiences do impact them positively. If that's not true, why don't we just lock our kids in the closet until they're 10 ;).

IMO, this is the kind of schlock that has ruined Disney. I can't believe so many people buy into the notion that you can buy your kids precious memories.

First of all the really young ones won't remember this crap past their 10th birthdays anyway and secondly I think as good and loving parents there are much, much better options for special family moments, that are much more genuine than a contrived Disney moment. We, as a family, have a boatload full and aside from being at Disney I'd say none include extra cost events - although I'm not saying some of these events can't be monumentous, per se....I'm just saying a Princess or Pirate makeover seems contrived and...Well, lazy to me.
pirate:

DITTO!

$124.95 <--- that's crazy

Last 3 sets of friends who returned from WDW trips (all 3 families were disney first-timers and traveled independ of each other)......what was said.....

* They sure know how to separate you from your $$$

* Too expensive - not a nice as you had said (dirty)

* No interest in going again...always had to pull out our wallets

Here is another reason

Sad

DITTO!

$124.95 <--- that's crazy

Last 3 sets of friends who returned from WDW trips (all 3 families were disney first-timers and traveled independ of each other)......what was said.....

* They sure know how to separate you from your $$$

* Too expensive - not a nice as you had said (dirty)

* No interest in going again...always had to pull out our wallets

Here is another reason

I see your point about the money. I've felt that way about the parties sometimes. Its frustrating to have MK closed for 3 nights of your vacation. And the cost of the parties is pretty steep. However, the key word is choice. Nobody has to do the pirate thing. (And we may or may not). But its nice to have a choice.

Nevermind Mouseaholic, he/she has been on an anti-Disney crusade..
Which I don't get why they bother to come to DIS if they are so done with WDW.
Anyway I think it's a neat idea. At least there's something for boys now. It's a start.

Nevermind Mouseaholic, he/she has been on an anti-Disney crusade..
Which I don't get why they bother to come to DIS if they are so done with WDW.
Anyway I think it's a neat idea. At least there's something for boys now. It's a start.

Mouseaholic has contributed far more to these boards than I've ever read from you. You fanboy/apologists are just sooo predictable but you're allowed your opinion, even if it's just superficial. But if anyone needs to be forgotten...
pirate:

Mouseaholic has contributed far more to these boards than I've ever read from you. You fanboy/apologists are just sooo predictable but you're allowed your opinion, even if it's just superficial. But if anyone needs to be forgotten...
pirate:

Whoa lay off the prozac Bubbles. The stuff will kill ya! Mouse and I had a few disagreements but I never once laid a personal attack on them, or vice versa. I think they understand the concept of conflicting opinions and harmless banter, which apparently has gone waaay over your head. Am I a fanboy? Well yes! Which would probly explain why I'm on a DISNEY FANSITE.
I'm not about to toot my horn on what I contributed on the site, I know I've made people happy with my disigns, I know I gave knowledge of WDW to the best of my capability, and I know i've made quite a few friends here. I'm not in it for a popularity contest, I'm in it to celebrate what is Disney and spread what little bit of magic I can.
So go ahead go on your tirade, continue your failed attempt to belittle anyone you deem "superficial", and mask it all along with your identity behind the anonimenty of a keyboard and monitor. You're a dime a dozen, your kind plagues every form on bulletin boards available.

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

Whoa lay off the prozac Bubbles. The stuff will kill ya! Mouse and I had a few disagreements but I never once laid a personal attack on them, or vice versa. I think they understand the concept of conflicting opinions and harmless banter, which apparently has gone waaay over your head. Am I a fanboy? Well yes! Which would probly explain why I'm on a DISNEY FANSITE.
I'm not about to toot my horn on what I contributed on the site, I know I've made people happy with my disigns, I know I gave knowledge of WDW to the best of my capability, and I know i've made quite a few friends here. I'm not in it for a popularity contest, I'm in it to celebrate what is Disney and spread what little bit of magic I can.
So go ahead go on your tirade, continue your failed attempt to belittle anyone you deem "superficial", and mask it all along with your identity behind the anonimenty of a keyboard and monitor. You're a dime a dozen, your kind plagues every form on bulletin boards available.

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

Thanks there chief. :thumbsup2 I'm happy I have your approval to rant'n'rave, though truth be known you threw the first condescending jabs at Mouseoholic didn't you? Come on, admit it. ;)

Further it was you, the now admitted fanboy, who threw out the ever so clever and never seen before chide of "why do we even go to..." if we hate it so much gem. That's a good one that only someone who has no understanding of Disney history would dare utter. Maybe some of us LOVE Disney for what we remember, for what it once stood for, for the sheer quality of product. Is it so wrong for us to stick up for that, to rail against schlock like this makeover crap? I agree you have your right to fawn over the plastic, well advertised, all PR Disney if you want to but don't talk down to us for it.

Remember, you started this little disagreement, not me.popcorn::
pirate:

This deserves a response of its own ... well,:lmao:no it doesn't. But boy am I glad I don't live in your self absorbed world of "rationality" and "reality" ... It must be very lonely in your head.:eek:
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter