Yo Ho Yo Ho a Tipsy Life for Me - A November '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 5/27

Happy New Year Kari!!! I hope 2018 is a great year for you and your family!!!!
Sanaa has quickly become a fav for us too!!!! The bread service is phenomenal and its got a good price tag too...
The wine flight looks amaaaaaazing!

Yay for guessing right on your dinner choice and double yay for the delicious bread service. Your reviews are what swayed Andi and I to try Sanaa and we loved it! Our table was so small there that if yours was anything like that I can see why the wine spilled lol!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Casey felt it appropriate to dress for the occasion.
img_4389-jpg.291411

She looks so cute!

Casey was even brave and tried all of the hot ones and enjoyed them so much she called the red sambal a "tasty dream"

:rotfl:

Your review also reminded me we need to get back to Sanaa! We planned to eat there on our last trip as well, and didn't make it because we were so stuffed from Yak and Yeti earlier.

I'm sure that Nap for Jason was needed!

Love that bread service at Sanaa! It is really filling - don't blame you for going with appetizers afterwards.

Too bad the oxtail didn't have a lot of flavor but I agree that the red sambal adds so much to the flavor of dishes. Good thing you still had it!

I'm shocked that they served you a dish with peanuts (even though you are able to avoid it by picking around) as usually Disney is much better about issues!

Glad all the wine made for a great meal!

Sorry about your Hokies. We have had some bad luck with DH's college team (also in the ACC, Go Pack ) on vacation . I went to a College with no real athletics other than the once in a decade or more NCAA basketball tournament. So I live through him & a few other family members that went to Big 10 schools. But glad to hear the wine got replaced. Must keep our priorities in order.

When we last left off we'd spent the afternoon at MGM and headed back to the hotel for a break. After 2 early mornings and a 10K Jason elected to take a nap, while Casey and I chose a much more vacation appropriate activity.

Ahhhh…I love a Disney pool day!

We eventually made it back to the room and found out what Jason really meant when he said "nap"

What the???:rotfl:

Casey felt it appropriate to dress for the occasion.

Beautiful, Casey!

And not wanting to be left out, Casey had some lemonade.
img_4393-jpg.291414

:laughing: Love it!

Soon the whole reason we go to Sanaa, love Sanaa, and crave it eternally arrived: Bread Service!

While munching down on our bread service someone all to eagerly reached for more bread and spilled most of one of my wines.
img_4398-jpg.291417

Oops! Not the wine…anything but the wine!

Wine got all over the table and me, but rest assured the server brought me a new glass so all was right in my tipsy world.

Phew!

Never fear, Casey and I drowned our sorrows in the cake pop and carrot cake cookie we picked up earlier at MGM.
img_4403-jpg.291424

Yummy!

These beds are so cute! I stayed at the Caribbean once and wanted this room, but it wasn't available when I went. I'm glad I finally got to see a picture of the room :)
This bread looks so good! Can you go just for this with the sauces? I feel like this would be a great quick lunch and nice view with the animals.
Despite asking for this with no peanuts (I have an allergy) we got it with peanuts, but I was able to eat around them (they won't kill me just make me miserable for a while). I know the sauce is a bit offputting in color, but it was delicious. It had a deep coconut flavor and a slight heat. The shrimp and scallops were cooked perfectly, but unfortunately Jason got a bad mussel so we elected to leave the rest of those in the bowl.
They wouldn't bring you a new one without peanuts? I feel like that's pretty bad since so many people have a peanut allergy, I'm surprised they didn't care more?

While munching down on our bread service someone all to eagerly reached for more bread and spilled most of one of my wines.
img_4398-jpg.291417
She clearly knows her mistake.

We couldn't decide what we wanted to eat beyond the bread service so we just decided to share some appetizers instead of getting entrees.
img_4399-jpg.291418

First up we have the Oxtail Umngqusho which is Cracked Hominy and Beans with Braised Oxtail. The "beans" in this were really black eyed peas which went well with the hominy. The oxtail was braised perfectly and tender, but it didn't have a ton of flavor. We ended up adding some of the red sambal from the bread service to the dish to kick it up a notch.
That looks delicious, but educate a girl. What is Hominy?

YoHo, Cap'n. I'm late to the NYE party. Keepin' a weather-eye on the crew down here.
Wishing you and your gorgeous family a very Happy New Year. I hope that 2018 is a wonderful year for all your crew!

That wine flight must not have been on the menu in September or I totally would have ordered it. I avoid Chardonnay anymore because they’re too oaky, but I still enjoy them unoaked. That oxtail dish is what I wished I had ordered, but I would have thought the meat would be more flavorful. Hmm...same problem we had with our dishes, just lacking in enough flavor somehow. I hope they turn this around, but nevertheless you’ll still find me there for wine and bread service!

Happy New Year! I really need to try Sanaa. I’ve heard so much about bread service but somehow have never made it over. Must fix. That wine flight needs to be mine as well! Did you hear that Sanaa and Jiko and some other resort spots are now on OpenTable?

I didn't see that you started a new report until I saw your meet on @ariane37 's TR! Then I figured I better go check for a new dining report....

Jason ended up sending her letters every day leading up to the trip in invisible ink and on the day before the trip she received the decoder pen that led her to find a surprise. I didn't get it. Casey called the letters creepy.

:rotfl: Well she certainly was excited!

Good news was upon check in we received a gift card for $600 to compensate us for the construction and for that much money I can take just about anything.

Nice!

It's 10am but this looks so good right now

Now this is a beer! Light, refreshing, and just a little sour from the watermelon

Sounds like a beer I may actually like!

Love this pic

Funny aside I have slight motion sickness so when we ride the teacups I wedge my leg against the wheel so we don't spin too fast. Well after all these years I finally got caught thigh handed by Casey. #TheJigisUP

but to could have been alcoholic Moosepee at this point and I would have drank it.

:rotfl2:

After seeing other people asking for ketchup she couldn't resist asking herself. And you could say her wish was granted, 20 fold!
img_0074-jpg.287863

This may be the best pic ever

After dinner we hit up Roaring Fork for some provisions for later then Uber'd back to Caribbean Beach

OMG this is so freaking genius and I'm kicking myself for not doing the same when we ate there. That cookie bar looks amaaaaaaazing

He was back in the room before we'd even gotten up

:eek:

Those onion rings look amaaaaaaazing. They're actually making my stomach growl.

We eventually made it back to the room and found out what Jason really meant when he said "nap"
img_4375-jpg.291410

Despite asking for this with no peanuts (I have an allergy) we got it with peanuts

:scared1: I'm horrified! Asking for no peanuts seems like the most basic food allergy request. I know your reactions are mild but I'm still appalled that this happened to you!

Happy New Year! I am finally getting caught up on the Dis after letting too much real life stuff interfere with my Dis time. We are getting Jack ready to do all his university applications and I am still wondering where the last 12 years went.
Happy New Year to you Susan!!!! I'm with ya on the real life stuff, though hopefully your school got a good amount of time off. I can't believe you are doing college applications already. We have a ways to go, but like you said its gonna be here before I know it.

While my three don't love the antics anymore (too busy being cool teenagers, lol) I know my niece will LOVE it here when we are at Disney this summer.
If she is anything like Casey she will indeed LOVE it. I have a feeling Whispering Canyon will become a must do for Casey every trip.

I think Bill had that same burger when we were there last. I am definitely planning on Sci-Fi again next summer as I know Clare will love it!
Be sure to get her a milkshake. Yum!!!!

I had the same wine flight on my first solo trip in 2016 and really enjoyed it. My fave was the Sauv Blanc. It's hard to find some of the South African wines here so I really enjoy having a chance to sample them at the AKL restaurants.
I thought I'd like the Sav Blanc best as those tend to be my favorite white, so the chardonay was a big surprise hit for me.

I LOVE Sanaa too! And I will be dining there on Friday (love that I could write that)! You have provided the wine flight and I will be trying-and confirmed that we should order the salad sampler. Of course the bread service is where. it's. at.
WOOHOO!!!!! Friday is like tomorrow!!!!!! Have an amazing trip and enjoy the Bread. I'll be eating it vicariously with you!

Do you recall what time you caught a bus back to AK? I'm always worried about trying to time this too close to park closing. We're expecting to have to Uber back to PoP after our meal at 5:00.
I don't remember exactly but if I recall our reservation was at 5:30 or 5:45 so it would have been well after 7 when we headed to AK and didn't have any trouble.

How was the pool with the construction going on? I loved that pool. It was awesome.
There was nothing going on at the pool so it was all good. They are doing construction on whatever the main house there is, but it didn't impact us at all. Except that the pool bar was closed o_O

Happy New Year Kari!!! I hope 2018 is a great year for you and your family!!!!
Sanaa has quickly become a fav for us too!!!! The bread service is phenomenal and its got a good price tag too...
The wine flight looks amaaaaaazing!
Happy New Year to you Jenny!!!! I know 2018 will be good for you, because hello lots of Disney :yay::yay::yay:

Yay for guessing right on your dinner choice and double yay for the delicious bread service. Your reviews are what swayed Andi and I to try Sanaa and we loved it! Our table was so small there that if yours was anything like that I can see why the wine spilled lol!
You got it first Caroline. You clearly know me too well at this point.

So glad to hear that you and Andi loved it as much as us. Our table was definitely a bit small too. Between the bread and apps, I guess something was bound to give. Just sad it had to be my wine:drinking1

Your review also reminded me we need to get back to Sanaa! We planned to eat there on our last trip as well, and didn't make it because we were so stuffed from Yak and Yeti earlier.
I can see how you'd be too stuffed after a visit to Yak n Yeti, but you should definitely get back sometime soon. So good!

Love that bread service at Sanaa! It is really filling - don't blame you for going with appetizers afterwards.
It is filling. I was contemplating just grabbing a place at the lounge and eating bread only, but it was full in there so I had to sacrifice and eat some apps too :-)

I'm shocked that they served you a dish with peanuts (even though you are able to avoid it by picking around) as usually Disney is much better about issues!
I don't ever tell anyone that I'm allergic to peanuts and just avoid them, so it wasn't a big deal. We had just asked for it without them. And as I've learned for asking for things without mushrooms sometimes they just forget :P

Casey looks so cute dressed up for Sanaa
Thanks!!!

Kari come on over and take a gander at my TR the 999th Haunt stole my bra
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...a-updated-1-1-x2.3652878/page-4#post-58621171
Thanks for the heads up! Headed right over there now!

Sorry about your Hokies. We have had some bad luck with DH's college team (also in the ACC, Go Pack ) on vacation . I went to a College with no real athletics other than the once in a decade or more NCAA basketball tournament. So I live through him & a few other family members that went to Big 10 schools. But glad to hear the wine got replaced. Must keep our priorities in order.
There must be something in the Disney air with all our ACC teams losing. VT was actually really bad when I got there, but they improved during my tenure and now are the team they are. So I didn't know I was going to a football powerhouse but now love that I did :-)

What the???:rotfl:
He's a special guy!

Oops! Not the wine…anything but the wine!
I know right. Spill your drink, spill Jason's drink, spill a sauce, but Not the wine!

These beds are so cute! I stayed at the Caribbean once and wanted this room, but it wasn't available when I went. I'm glad I finally got to see a picture of the room :)
It turned out much better than we expected. Funny we didn't want a pirate room (though we had booked one) and had requested a non-pirate one but the pirate luck was not on our side.

This bread looks so good! Can you go just for this with the sauces? I feel like this would be a great quick lunch and nice view with the animals.
I'm sure you could. They also have a great lounge adjacent to the restaurant you could just grab some bread in

They wouldn't bring you a new one without peanuts? I feel like that's pretty bad since so many people have a peanut allergy, I'm surprised they didn't care more?
I didn't even ask. We had enough trouble trying to flag down our server to get our missing dish that we didn't even mention it. So they may have cared, had I actually told them.

She clearly knows her mistake.
Yep rule number 1 in our house, don't mess with Mama's wine :P

That looks delicious, but educate a girl. What is Hominy?
I'm sure there is a technical term for what it is, but essentially its really puffy white corn that has more of the texture of chick peas and less of a corny taste. Makes perfect sense right o_O

YoHo, Cap'n. I'm late to the NYE party. Keepin' a weather-eye on the crew down here.
Wishing you and your gorgeous family a very Happy New Year. I hope that 2018 is a wonderful year for all your crew!
YoHo to ye Matey!!! Happy New Year!

That wine flight must not have been on the menu in September or I totally would have ordered it. I avoid Chardonnay anymore because they’re too oaky, but I still enjoy them unoaked. That oxtail dish is what I wished I had ordered, but I would have thought the meat would be more flavorful. Hmm...same problem we had with our dishes, just lacking in enough flavor somehow. I hope they turn this around, but nevertheless you’ll still find me there for wine and bread service!
The wine flights seem to pop on and off the menu there. I"ve had them a few times and then others they aren't there at all.

The oxtail was good and tender, just not the knock your socks of flavor I've become used to at Sanaa. Funny you had the trouble too, as we never have before. Hopefully its not a sign of them dialing down the taste for the masses.

Happy New Year! I really need to try Sanaa. I’ve heard so much about bread service but somehow have never made it over. Must fix. That wine flight needs to be mine as well! Did you hear that Sanaa and Jiko and some other resort spots are now on OpenTable?
Yes. Must. Fix. Now!!! I had not heard they were using OpenTable. Very interesting. Love the idea of being able to make a non-binding reservation.

I didn't see that you started a new report until I saw your meet on @ariane37 's TR! Then I figured I better go check for a new dining report....
Hi Heather!!!! Welcome. Its nice of Ariane to be doing some advertising for me :-)

It's 10am but this looks so good right now
Its 7pm here and I'm drinking wine and have very little food in the house so I could totally go for this too!

This may be the best pic ever
I've got a special family :P

OMG this is so freaking genius and I'm kicking myself for not doing the same when we ate there. That cookie bar looks amaaaaaaazing
Yeah, this became a reoccurring theme for us. We don't generally have dessert after a meal in us so we took to getting stuff and taking it back to the room for later. Made for great breakfast too :-)

:scared1: I'm horrified! Asking for no peanuts seems like the most basic food allergy request. I know your reactions are mild but I'm still appalled that this happened to you!
I didn't tell them I had an allergy just asked for it with no peanuts, so probably bad on me. And yes my reactions are mild which is why I don't make a big deal out of it. I usually get hives, but can have some mild breathing problems too. Thankfully benadryl can do the trick for me

All snowed in up here so doing a little work and a little DIS'ing :)

One of the best pictures EVER! Good way to promote CBR to a sketchy population :laughing:

Soon the whole reason we go to Sanaa, love Sanaa, and crave it eternally arrived: Bread Service!
Bread service = carb heaven

It's been awhile since we've visited Sanaa but we all love the bread service. And, I have a client who went for the first time last July. They're going back this July and her 6 year old said, "we have to eat at the place with all the bread you dip in things again!"

Its 7pm here and I'm drinking wine and have very little food in the house so I could totally go for this too!

Did you get a lot of snow today?

I didn't tell them I had an allergy just asked for it with no peanuts, so probably bad on me. And yes my reactions are mild which is why I don't make a big deal out of it. I usually get hives, but can have some mild breathing problems too. Thankfully benadryl can do the trick for me

Okay.... that makes me feel better that they didn't just disregard an allergy request
giphy.gif

All snowed in up here so doing a little work and a little DIS'ing :)
Hope you have copious amounts of moscato and mules for the snow :-):drinking1

One of the best pictures EVER! Good way to promote CBR to a sketchy population :laughing:
You should add him to one of your Facebook posts. I can see it now, don't worry about the construction, you can steer your own ship :P

It's been awhile since we've visited Sanaa but we all love the bread service. And, I have a client who went for the first time last July. They're going back this July and her 6 year old said, "we have to eat at the place with all the bread you dip in things again!"
Clearly Sanaa is hip in the 6 year old crowd

Did you get a lot of snow today?
Not much snow here as we are too far from the coast. But it is freezing. They closed schools today and tomorrow because the wind chills are so bad. How about you all? From the news sounds like you're getting it worse than us

Not much snow here as we are too far from the coast. But it is freezing. They closed schools today and tomorrow because the wind chills are so bad. How about you all? From the news sounds like you're getting it worse than us

I'd guess about 8-10 inches. It was a lot more than I was expecting! A lot of schools around here are closing because roads are icy and also because of the freezing temperatures. So nuts! Stay warm.

I love this trip report. I had to refill my wine glass to get all the way through :drinking1

Looking forward to many more alcoholic beverages while I read about your travels

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter