• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Your best “beat the heat” products

The Alfamo cooling towel from Amazon that I use stays in the backpack until I want it. When I’m ready I run it under water in the bathroom, wring it out, give it a snap and put it on. It dries overnight and I can put it in my bag again, no need for ziplocks or ice for me. They’re also machine washable, though I hang dry.

This is how we use Mission brand cooling towels. They work via evaporation, not being actually cold with ice. Once you wet them and wring and snap, they feel very cold.

We leave them out until they are dry and then pack them in our bags dry until the next use.

I do launder them, but you have to be careful not to use dryer sheets or fabric softener.

We carry compact umbrellas and plenty of water - end list. I prefer to just carry a CamelBak bladder in a regular backpack since the Camelbak backpacks are really too compact to also carry umbrellas. You want to drink water constantly on the hottest days. Don't try and hydrate only when you take meal breaks - you WILL suffer if you do that.

We carry compact umbrellas and plenty of water - end list. I prefer to just carry a CamelBak bladder in a regular backpack since the Camelbak backpacks are really too compact to also carry umbrellas. You want to drink water constantly on the hottest days. Don't try and hydrate only when you take meal breaks - you WILL suffer if you do that.

I have one really roomy Camelbak backpack that can fit umbrellas, ponchos, a hat, and all my other necessities. But most of them are not that roomy. And it is a heavy pack. The bladder is 100oz capacity.

This is a serious topic but kinda hard to talk about Lolol. For the guys out there but maybe everyone too - need to keep those sensitive areas as dry as possible. Humidity, sweating and walking 25K+ steps a day will create the absolute worst conditions for chafing. And once you’re injured it’s hard to heal if you just do it again the next day. My advice after many many summer Florida trips:

- bring big containers of gold bond body powder. Every morning, stand in the shower (no water on ofc) and literally dust yourself down there until you look like a powdered sugar donut. Then dress like normal. If you go back to the room at the half-day point, always re-apply and change under garments.

- Plan water rides for the end of days so if it gets you wet in some bad spots, you’re not walking around chafing all day

- do not forget this routine - especially the first day. It only takes 1 very painful day to create a situation where you will not heal for several days

- body glide does not work (imho). Because you’ll get wet from sweat and never dry. It might prevent some chafing but the sweat will do it’s work and you’ll wish you went the powder route.

- if you get severely chafed - you have to switch gears. You won’t be able to stay dry and heal yourself so you got to ditch the powder and use diaper cream. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste has saved me. Got to keep it slathered on - it will help chafing too so just keep the tube with you and re-apply a couple times a day. If you’re lucky it will heal in 2 days then you go back to the dry powder routine.

- if you start to feel chafing and it’s 5pm and you got no resources and you can’t get back to change, you need to take action. Get some napkins and go into the bathroom and dry yourself as much as possible. Then stuff yourself down there with more dry napkins. You know what I’m talking about. Just do it. The napkins will soak up the sweat a bit and keep you more dry.

I can just reiterate what other posters have said..
-Love the cooling towels they sell in the park. I like to wet them in the hotel and put in a ziploc bag. Then that bag goes in the fridge for a bit. Keeps them cold even longer! Just know if they're really wet your shirt will have wet spots in your photos.. just may want to think about the placement of those wet spots...
-I've used a neck fan.. it helps me.

I really dont like being hot at all.. ever. I always say I can only take off so many clothes... I dont even know how some people walk around and dont look like they're hot at all.. so I go earlier in the day and leave around lunch or after lunch. The I'll go back later... I do change all of my clothes before going back to the parks later in the day. I might even shower again so I'm completely refreshed before going back!

I do try to wear light colors, especially in the earlier in the day visit. I do swear by the Glide chafing sticks. I even use it on my heals, etc. for blister prevention.

I carry an insulated Brita water bottle. I love that thing! It keeps water/ice forever. You do have to fill it but there's also a filter.. It is heavier than a regular water bottle but I think its worth it.

Hope you can glean a little something from this!

Go in AC rides/shows! I will echo the Disney cooling towels were great because of how big they are. I was able to put it on my neck and across my shoulders. I'm sure any good cooling towel would work so long as it's nice and big

Last edited:
Fans are useless. Cooling towels are good, we like Mission brand.
This really depends on the individual. Cooling towels are a sensory nightmare to me and every brand I've tried has been a waste of money that just made me sweaty. I brought a bladeless neck fan on our trip last month. It didn't just blow hot air around due to the design, and combined with a compact UV umbrella kept me cool even standing in direct sun waiting on the parade and I didn't want claw my skin off.

Get a handheld fan with a mister. It makes the air feel cold and it’s super compact.

HandFan Portable Handheld Misting Fan, Rechargeable Personal Mister Fan, Battery Operated Spray Water Mist Fan, Foldable Mini Cooling Fans for Makeup Travel, Beach, Outdoors(Royal Blue) https://a.co/d/93T5ZHR

These were a lifesaver last year in September and the heat barely bothered me because of how well this worked.

Best thing I ever did was buy the Yeti type bottles. One for each of us. Fill with one bottle of instacart delivered water - cheaper and then fill the rest with ice from the hotel. Ice stayed all day, just kept adding aquafina bottles to it. Really helped out last week - when one day the temp said 94 feels like 107!

Our solutions for beating the heat when we visit in August (not all are products, most are just strategies):

- cooling towels
- clothing in moisture-wicking, quick-dry tech fabrics designed for exercise, golf, tennis, fishing, etc. -- no 100% cotton, no denim, no spandex, etc.
- park bags that are small, lightweight and made of breathable fabrics, not weighed down by heavy stuff like water bottles (we get free iced water at CS locations instead, during our frequent refreshment stops to stay hydrated)
- lightweight, breathable, heavy-duty ponchos for hurricane-season-level wind and rain (not disposable plastic ponchos, which are great for the rest of the year or for wet rides, but not adequate in a summer storm)
- concentrating touring on early mornings and late nights, with a lengthy afternoon siesta in the air-conditioned hotel
- avoiding outdoor queues until after dark when the temperature begins to drop

The best anti-chafing product is Body Glide stick, absolutely. Exponentially better than any body powder, and much more sweat-resistant than the Monistat cream. You can swim in salt water and not wash off Body Glide; the stuff LASTS. It's a lot easier to find in places like WalMart and Target than it used to be, and most sporting goods stores now carry it, too; no need to order online or go to running stores any more. (And the different color sticks are just about scent; the blue unscented goes on clear and works for everyone.)
1689017314955.jpeg

For those who use and like cooling towels, which brand do you prefer and why? I'm torn between Frogg Toggs vs Mission.

We have Frogg Toggs, haven't tried Mission, but we *much* preferred the cooling towels from the parks to the Frogg Toggs.

I also don't wear the cooling towel around my neck/shoulders - that just feels hot and wet to me. I tie it onto a strap from whatever bag I'm wearing, or carry it in one hand... I just use it to wipe face/neck/etc. and then carry it again till I need a cool-down. Feels cooler to me that way.

The Pugh Two recently made a video testing cooling devices (they mainly cover Universal but occassionally venture over to Disney)

The best anti-chafing product is Body Glide stick, absolutely. Exponentially better than any body powder, and much more sweat-resistant than the Monistat cream. You can swim in salt water and not wash off Body Glide; the stuff LASTS. It's a lot easier to find in places like WalMart and Target than it used to be, and most sporting goods stores now carry it, too; no need to order online or go to running stores any more. (And the different color sticks are just about scent; the blue unscented goes on clear and works for everyone.)
View attachment 776609

This is not my experience. Body Glide washes and sweats off VERY easily.

I applied some of the Monistat powder gel last weekend in the morning and spent the whole day at a waterpark. When I showered that evening, the Monistat gel was STILL where I put it. I had to literally scrub it off with soap and a pouf. I have never had that happen with Body Glide.

The Alfamo cooling towel from Amazon that I use stays in the backpack until I want it. When I’m ready I run it under water in the bathroom, wring it out, give it a snap and put it on. It dries overnight and I can put it in my bag again, no need for ziplocks or ice for me. They’re also machine washable, though I hang dry.

This is exactly what I do. I don’t know what brand it is anymore but purchased from Amazon. It is really the only thing I did to beat the heat last week other than drink lots of free ice water

Best thing I ever did was buy the Yeti type bottles. One for each of us. Fill with one bottle of instacart delivered water - cheaper and then fill the rest with ice from the hotel. Ice stayed all day, just kept adding aquafina bottles to it. Really helped out last week - when one day the temp said 94 feels like 107!

So are you carrying these Yeti bottles around all day? That seems more exhausting than the heat, unless they are sitting in the bottom of a stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter