Your favorite $325 and under camera and why

LouisianaDisneyFan

DVC owner, Disney stockholder, & all-around fan!
Hello all,

I'm not sure how to classify myself, as I'm an avid photo-taker (as opposed to a true photographer), have been told I take great photos from an artistic perspective (frequently have friends asking for copies of my photos when we go on trips), and have actually been paid for many of my plant images. I'm not a novice photographer by any means, but I am perfectly happy with my point and shoot mentality. ;) I am always impressed by the gorgeous effects others can get with nifty adjustments, but I am simply lazy when it comes to taking photos. I want to see it, shoot it, and move on to the next "Kodak moment"...

I currently have an Olympus that has some bells and whistles that go unused (I still don't know what all of the buttons do). My daytime stills come out pretty terrific, especially when bright colors in the garden are involved. The clarity is quite good compared to many I've seen. Daytime action shots also come out well. But, my night time shots leave a LOT to be desired. I've looked at the Panasonic FZ35, but the reviews on it are confusing. Novice users rave about it, but reviewers in some of the publications have written about "noise" in the images. It's confusing!!!

So, let's pretend you are shopping for a new mom-to-be... or your teenage daughter who's about to go off to college... or your elderly aunt who is about to take the trip of a lifetime... you know, somebody who wants to capture it all beautifully but isn't going to take the time to read the manual. What would you suggest that they purchase, and why?

There are only a few specifics I would like included:
*Priced $325 or under.
*Digital.
*I like having a preview screen so I can quickly see what I just shot.
*I like having the OPTION to add additional lenses, but it's not a dealbreaker.
*I like having the OPTION to change settings for macro or other special shots, but I want the camera to perform well in most situations simply with a point and shoot mentality.
*I would like to find a camera that can perform with night shots too (to dream the impossible dream...)
*Having the ability to take short movies would be nice, but again, it's not a dealbreaker.

Which camera would you pick, and why?

Thanks for your help!
Evey =)

I've got two answers for you. The first is the one you don't want to hear - that for 'good with low light' and still great for daytime too all in a P&S compact body, you'll find that one right next to Bigfoot and the winning lottery ticket. It just doesn't happen...small sensor cameras draw the line at low light photography, without some special trickery - those very few cameras that have special trickery to make them capable of low light shooting (Sony WX, TX, and HX models) are OK for other types of photography - not bad at all, just average along with most other P&S cams today. The few cameras that stand out for excellent daylight optical quality, with the best lenses and most optical range, are not the ones that are equipped for good low light stuff.

However...I do have some good news! You mention in your final summary wanting the ability to take good 'night shots'...which is actually can be quite different from 'low light photography'. There are two kinds of low light photography - handheld high ISO, and tripod-mounted low ISO. Only the big sensor cams can handle #1...but #2 can be done by even the lowliest P&S camera...though some better than others. The big key to nice night shots is to get a tripod, or at least put the camera on a flat level surface...set the ISO to the lowest setting, use Aperture Priority (A or Av) if you have it, P if you don't...and use the self-timer to take the shot for you so you can get your hands off the camera. You'll be shooting very long exposures - seconds long...so NO TOUCH! But the results can be quite pleasing. If your Olympus has some bells and whistles, I'd expect it can probably take a 15-30 second exposure, in which case you're good to go for night photography.

Otherwise, if you were hoping for a handheld low light performer, you'll need to look at higher price, used DSLRs, and more size, weight and complexity. Or you can scrap that requirement and check out some of the very nice, well equipped P&S cameras that have very nice lenses attached to them, that may suffice for your daytime work and give you nice versatility and a big zoom - such as the Panasonic FZ series, the Fuji HS10, the Canon G11, the Samsung EX1...or to a lesser extent, maybe the Panasonic TZ series, Sony HX series, or Canon SX series.

Or you can scrap that requirement and check out some of the very nice, well equipped P&S cameras that have very nice lenses attached to them, that may suffice for your daytime work and give you nice versatility and a big zoom - such as the Panasonic FZ series, the Fuji HS10, the Canon G11, the Samsung EX1...or to a lesser extent, maybe the Panasonic TZ series, Sony HX series, or Canon SX series.
Thanks so much for the feedback! If you were to choose specific cameras from among these, which would make the cut?

Thanks so much for the feedback! If you were to choose specific cameras from among these, which would make the cut?

Honestly, you should go to a store an play with them, everyone has different hands, and each companies controls are a little different, so one will feel better than the other, and/or be more intuitive than the other to you personally.

Another thought, is having a better camera, might give you the nudge you need to start doing more with your photography as well.

I agree with MM...best really to check out photos and reviews of some of those, get an idea of features, weight and sizes, and if at all possible, try to lay hands on some of them. They really are quite a diverse collection of cameras, ranging from some so light and thin you could lose them in a pocket to so beefy and chunky they can only squeeze into a large purse. Some have much more manual control ability than others...so it really depends on both your current needs and which look and feel best to you, and how much ability to grow and expand you want to have.

My own purchase was one of the above, but my reasons were vastly different from yours - I have a DSLR with a bag full of lenses that serves my advanced photographic duty...I wanted something tiny and light to be with me when I didn't feel like bringing the big bag and camera. So I went with an ultracompact slim camera. I love it - it's wonderful to me...but I might not recommend it to someone else if they say they need it as their only camera, or want something with a big zoom, or have large hands and like well shaped grips.

Best thing to do is look some of these up on photography sites or forums (I strongly suggest you not get too wrapped up in reviews and message board opinions...you'll find negative something on every one of those cameras...folks love to complain in forums), and eliminate those right away from the list if they don't have some key feature you want, or the design is too big or too small and not what you were looking for. Then pop back in here with some narrowed choices and we might be able to help guide you in for a landing!

Thanks again for the advice. I know what you mean about holding the camera making a world of difference. My mom's camera had great reviews, but I find it very awkward in my hands. It's just too tiny... I feel like it should have come out of a box of Cracker Jack!

I got a nice offer from my dad tonight... his hand-me-down camera. He is getting a new one for the same upcoming trip (we are all cruising together). His "old" one is an Olympus Camedia C-5050 Zoom. It's hard for me to evaluate how his Olympus has performed in the past because my dad is a techie... lots of neat new toys that are seldom used. I think I've seen maybe two photos he has taken with the camera over the last five years. :laughing:

I wish there were loaner services for photo equipment so I could test drive some of these before our trip. Then I could make a head-to-head comparison of my old camera, dad's hand-me-down, and potential new ones to make the best choice. I will only get one chance at photographing some of these places; I want to make sure I can capture the memories adequately.

Again, thanks for the feedback. =)

I got a nice offer from my dad tonight... his hand-me-down camera. He is getting a new one for the same upcoming trip (we are all cruising together). His "old" one is an Olympus Camedia C-5050 Zoom. It's hard for me to evaluate how his Olympus has performed in the past because my dad is a techie... lots of neat new toys that are seldom used. I think I've seen maybe two photos he has taken with the camera over the last five years. :laughing:

The C-5050 was a great camera for its time. It just so happens that the time was about seven years ago. Is it still a capable camera? sure. Is it better than what you already have? I don't know. Tell us what your current model is. If it is only a couple years old, then it is probably better than the C-5050.

Your first criteria was the price.

You don't seem to mind used.

this camera would meet all of your criteria (within $75 of your price, but you'd take a great step up for that 75) except for movies (refurbed dslr from Adorama - from another thread here recently):

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html

Your first criteria was the price.

You don't seem to mind used.

this camera would meet all of your criteria (within $75 of your price, but you'd take a great step up for that 75) except for movies (refurbed dslr from Adorama - from another thread here recently):

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html

For that matter, this demo model is only $299. It is the same model as my first DSLR, which I still keep around as a backup and for the kids. http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20392458.html

I also suggest checking out KEH.com if you consider used.

See, I don't even know what those terms mean...!

I've seen the term bridge camera many times... what does this mean and what are the advantages (if there are any) over an "advanced p&s"?

I looked at the reviews for the 5050 that dad offered and also for the next steps up. From the reviews of the two cameras that followed the 5050, it looks like the camera took great photos, but had a significant lag time in the shutter speed. The step up camera, the 5060, looks great for my needs, if I can find one used. The trick with going used is that I may not be able to get all the accessories I want for it, like underwater housing, etc. I'll have to scout around about that! I was lusting over the 8080, but I couldn't find the UW housing for it anywhere. =(

What reputable camera resale sites are out there?

This says it better than I can

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_camera

Dawn

See, I don't even know what those terms mean...!

I've seen the term bridge camera many times... what does this mean and what are the advantages (if there are any) over an "advanced p&s"?

I looked at the reviews for the 5050 that dad offered and also for the next steps up. From the reviews of the two cameras that followed the 5050, it looks like the camera took great photos, but had a significant lag time in the shutter speed. The step up camera, the 5060, looks great for my needs, if I can find one used. The trick with going used is that I may not be able to get all the accessories I want for it, like underwater housing, etc. I'll have to scout around about that! I was lusting over the 8080, but I couldn't find the UW housing for it anywhere. =(

What reputable camera resale sites are out there?

Do you already have UH for the camera your dad has?

Dawn
Nope, dad has a few extras for the camera, but nothing that would allow me to snorkel or dive with it. I am not sure the shutter speed of his is going to keep me happy, so I'm definitely leaning toward a used camera that has available accessories. I found several PT-020 UH's via resale (which fit the 5060). I couldn't find any PT-023 UH's though, and that is what would be required for the 8080.

I do like the feel of dad's camera. I have had an Olympus of similar size and feel for a long time. From the reviews I've read, and from some of the interchangeable accessories, it looks like the size and layout of the 5050, 5060 and 8080 are very similar... so I think any of them would be an easy transition for me.

Oh, I must have read it the review wrong. I thought it said something about RAW shooting.

Bed time for me!

Dawn

RAW does not mean DSLR or bridge. Every camera shoots in RAW. It then converts to JPG to save or saves as RAW without applying camera settings. Not every camera allows you to save in RAW though.

Thank you for explaining that.

Dawn

RAW does not mean DSLR or bridge. Every camera shoots in RAW. It then converts to JPG to save or saves as RAW without applying camera settings. Not every camera allows you to save in RAW though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter