Your most unexpected DVC moment

I logged onto the survey website and composed this after getting a postcard in the mail today requesting info about our stay at Vero. It was our very first DVC trip after joining last Novemver. Now that I see this thread it makes me happy I did a copy and paste of it so I can use it here. This is our "wow" moment. You don't get experiences like this at just any old resort.

While dining at the Sunday Brunch at Sonya's our 5 year old son began experimenting with the tiny white-chocolate cups that were filled with strawberry cream and topped with whipped cream. He was pretty much playing around with them and after licking out the inside he was filling them with maple syrup and eating them. I was a little embarrased because it is a really nice brunch and I was afraid he wasn't acting "grown up" enough. Kathy B (I don't have her last name) was our server. She came over to the table and asked him how his masterpiece tasted. She seemed truly interested and spoke to him a few minutes to have him tell her "exactly" how he did it and where did he get the idea, etc.... She took extra time to show the other servers his "creation". By being so kind she put me at ease as well. She was very, very kind.

Later that evening as we were returning to our room we were surprised to find a small box and a note from Kathy on our counter in our room. She had included 5 or 6 of the small cups, a small bottle of maple syrup, and a note. The note said "To My little friend: You were right, we tried your creation and they were delicious! Here are a few more for you to enjoy before bed tonight, Kathy B." It pleased us as parents as much as it pleased him to be made to feel so special. It was the highlight of our trip.

Oh, and Ashleysdad......thanks for making me smile!!!

Like many others I think our most special moment was the first time at "home". We bought in January of 2000 and then booked a 1 bedroom at our Boardwalk home for December. It was the first time we had seen the holiday decorations at Disney. We had asked for and received a Boardwalk view. To make it even more special our two balconies were decorated with christmas garland and lights. It was a wonderful trip.

Second best moment was when we sent my in-laws for 5 nights to Vero Beach. The excitement in their voice telling us how much fun they were having made it special for us.

My best memory was our second trip as DVC members but our first trip to our home resort BWV. The entire experience from pulling up to the circle in front, getting a "Welcome Home", checking in and getting a second "Welcome Home", and the kids saying "We're actually staying here?".... and when I responded we'll be coming back here all the time. We bought a piece of this place. Their response was "YES!!!"
My most unexpected DVC moment was when we went to the prsentation. We only went because my son got sick and was feeling a little better this day but not good enough to go into the parks. We were walking around the lobby of ASMu that morning and saw the DVC stand. My DW said thats the thing on the TV where you pre pay for vacations (she saw this from being cooped up in the room with my DS for two days) (I was very disinterested). The CM tried to get us to go for the presentation but I said maybe some other time. Later when we got back to the room there was a message. They were offering us a free lunch to see the presentation. They sent a van and on the way over I told my wife "Don't get your hopes up. This thing costs a lot of money. We're just going for the free lunch". After seeing the presentation, I thought that sounds really nice but I wanted to know the bottom line. Whats the cost? When she told me, I was plesently surprised that we could join for around $9000. The second surprise was when we were given a voucher for any of the BW restaurants for lunch (I was expecting finger sandwiches) and were told to talk it over over lunch. I hope to see you back... WOW no preasure. At the Big River Brew House, I turned over one of the kids placemats and started doing some calculations in red crayon. My third surprise was how soon it would pay for itself. We were disappointed with ASMu and wanted to stay in the upper scale hotels from now on anyway. We decided to sign up right then. My kids were just happy to get back into the play room they have for them.
Sorry it's so long but it was nice for me to relive this experience again and remember how we became members.

Our BEST DVC memory was our 2nd trip to OKW but 1st as DVC members. It was early Dec. 1993 so the free passes were in effect. We got a 2br so that we'd get 4 passes but didn't need all that space so we invited my brother, his wife, DD & DS. They had never been on a family vacation before because my dear brother (DB) was starting his own business. They also had planned on going to WDW "some day"--but in 1988 their 6yo middle child died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. I wanted so badly for them to experience the magic of WDW and the beautiful Christmas decorations and was so happy when they accepted our invitation. DB is usually serious or in a business mode, so imagine our surprise when we heard that the first ride they went on was Peter Pan's Flight. When he got off, he was so thrilled and was saying, "I can fly!" :) My sister-in-law thanked us over and over again (always with tears in her eyes) for this trip and the opportunity for my brother to be a kid again. For a few short days, the weight of the world was lifted for him and I saw a spark in DB that I hadn't seen since before my nephew died. (I like to think that that trip helped to put the spark back in their lives.)

That trip made the whole DVC purchase worth it!!!

...was on our first trip to BWV in Feb 99 as members. When we pulled our van to the gate, the guard asked if we were visiting or staying at the resort. I replied, "We're members." He said "Oh, then Welcome Home!" It was unexpected and pretty cool. We still talk about it sometimes.

Well, we expect to have alot more, but:

1) Sending our best friends to a 1BR BWV for their honeymoon.

2) Having miles of beach to ourselves at dawn on Christmas Day in VB.

3) While walking along the boards away from Epcot towards the "Swan" and Dolphin at night, we overheard a young kid proclaiming excitedly 'Look mom, Jar-Jar Binks, Jar-Jar, Look Mom!'.

Slightly perplexed, we looked toward where he was looking...at night, looking head on at the swan atop the Swan, with the lights and the shadows, danged if it didn't look like Jar-Jar Binks. So for us, it will always be the Jar-Jar Binks and the Dolphin.

-Joe

On our first trip to OKW in the Summer of 1995, we were delighted by the warmth of all the cast members and also of the other guests who would wave and say Good Morning, Good Evening, etc. as we passed them walking over the bridge from Bldg. 23 to the Hospitality House. But the greatest moment was getting a lift from one of the housekeepers on her cart; she said, Hop on; it's too hot today to walk!!! What a great second home.

Originally posted by GraceDVC
But the greatest moment was getting a lift from one of the housekeepers on her cart; she said, Hop on; it's too hot today to walk!!! What a great second home.

That happened to us on July 4th of last year. It's like one big family there.

This past week, on our last day, my son and I were walking down Peninsular Road towards Olivia's for breakfast when the "cleaning caravan" came riding through...cart after cart after cart filled with housekeeping staff. In each and every cart, there were at least 4 or 5 who waved hello to us.

It may not sound like much, but it sure made us smile. (It also got a, "Waaahhhh...I don't want to go home!" out of me.) :D

WOW-GREAT THREAD! Thanks Ashley's Dad for making me cry. I'm sorry for your loss. God Bless You both.

Every time we go there is another great memory. Here are just a few:
1. Seeing dolphins from the beach& and on the boat close enough to touch in HH.

2. Campfires at HH.

3. My DS saying, after he swam for the first time unassisted at OKW,"There really is Magic here!"

4. Re-heating turkey dinner in the fireplace at The Sagamore on Thanksgiving.

5. My DH saying, "You did buy more points, didn't you?"

6. EVERY TIME I SEE THE SMILE ON THE FACES OF MY 3 KIDS WHENEVER WE GO HOME, WHICH EVER HOME IT MAY BE.

I'm going to go with the first thing that came to my mind, even though it sounds silly. It was!

We had spoken to our guide a million times over the year that it took us to head down to Fl. and join (we made that yucky mistake of taking a trip down without joining first...duh) but had never met him. Well, you know how you mentally draw a picture of what someone will look like just by the sound of their voice?? Without going into detail, our funniest DVC moment was that moment when our guide laid eyes on us, and we laid eyes on him....and all three of us broke out in laughter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter