Your SAT Scores to get into college were yours...

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
in the guidelines for the middle 50% for your school. They have test scores listed on Collegeboard.com in the mid-range for people admitted to the school you select. I was wondering if anyone got in, and their scores were lower or were yours higher?
Thanks
Lynn

Well, I didn't exactly do well on the SAT, and I still got into some pretty competitive schools. Then again I didn't submit them since the schools I applied to didn't require it, but if I would have sent the score, it probably would've been on the low side...

I think a lot of people get nervous taking the SAT or ACT

It depends on SO MUCH. It really is different for everyone.

Mine were right about on for every school I applied to. For my school right now (first choice) my SAT's were higher than the average.

Now though, only a year and a half later, I don't even have the average SAT for my school. They went up THAT MUCH in that short of a time. Crazy.

My SAT scores were way way lower then the schools I applied to required. I applied to three schools, all with higher SAT scores then I had, and I still got in all three. It depends on a lot of things. GPA, Activities, and actually the time of year you apply. When you apply for early decision I am almost positive they look at the SAT scores more closely, but also when you apply for regular admission, they may skip over things, because of the amount of applications they have to get through. It really depends on the school. I personally think its luck of the draw! Good Luck

Jess

I'd have to agree, it depends a lot on what else you're involved in, what your grades are in school and what level of difficulty your classes are in school. The ACT seems a better judge in my opinion of where I stood but I did decent on my SAT scores and got into all my schools with them, even the one that they were slighty low for. Good Luck!

I know that when I was making the decsion about which test to take, it was a tough choice. I ended up taking both the SAT's and the ACT simply to give myself a broader range of scoring my "apptitude".

For me personally, the ACT proved to be the better choice. I am certainly more of an English person than a math person, and the ACT's math section was not as large or as intimidating as the SAT's math sections. With that said, my scores on my ACT were much higher than the national averages whereas my SAT scores were pretty much average, simply because the ACT isnt just math and verbal. Its a combination of English, mathematics, reading, and science.

It really all depends on the schools you want to apply to and what your strengths are academically.

Good Luck!

Jessie

My ACT score was multiple points above the average range for my school. Good thing about that is you have a better chance for an academic scholarship. :)

i honestly have no clue how I got into my college b/c my scores were ok but not compared to most of the kids here.
I personally did better on the ACT better and like it better.

I didn't do well. I was really nervous and was sick. It sure isn't a reflection of how you'll do in college. I'm a junior in college and I'm doing great. :goodvibes

I think if you are concerned at all it's best to take both the SATs and the ACTs. If possible, take the SATs twice. Just about everyone I have spoken to who has taken it twice did better the second time around. That being said it really depends on what colleges your applying to and what your high school GPA was. Colleges look at both.

My ACT score was a 31 and I was in the 92nd percentile of my high school's graduating class, but nationwide my percentile was higher. It was awhile ago so I can't remember exactly. I wound up getting into every college I applied to and my scores were only average for some of the colleges I applied to (like Stanford and Case Western Reserve) while for others they were above average. A lot of my friends had very low ACT and SAT scores and wound up getting into their schools despite that because of good G.P.A.'s and extracurricular activities. Best of luck!

I was higher than average for my school but I know people who were lower thsn the average too. It all depends on the school. :badpc:

It really depends on the school... but most weigh your gpa and extra-curriculars high, and little consideration is put towards your SAT or ACT scores. I didn't do to well on my SAT, mostly because it was the same day as my junior prom and my head wasn't in the game. But I've been told by many campus reps and counslers that I could do absolutely horrible and still be in a high percentile because of all my extra-curriculars and a high GPA. Right now I'm just going to a Community college to get my basics out of the way. All I had to do was take an entrance exam for class placement, and I averaged between the 97th and 99 percentile for placement. As far as I see... high schools put to much importance on the SAT when it's not really a big deal at most colleges and universities.

So as long as you have great transcripts... don't worry about that silly little SAT.... :teeth:

Bye bye...

::MinnieMo Jen ::MinnieMo

My SAT I score was higher than the median for UCLA, on the higher end of the middle 50% of the range, but I know SO many people here who had much lower scores than the listed median. I know the UC's place a higher emphasis on the SAT IIs (or do at least until the new SAT I scores count for admission - not sure how that will change things) so perhaps those made a difference in terms of admission for some of us (along with high grades, GPA, AP scores, extracurriculars, etc.)

Tink the Rock Star said:
It really depends on the school... but most weigh your gpa and extra-curriculars high, and little consideration is put towards your SAT or ACT scores. I didn't do to well on my SAT, mostly because it was the same day as my junior prom and my head wasn't in the game. But I've been told by many campus reps and counslers that I could do absolutely horrible and still be in a high percentile because of all my extra-curriculars and a high GPA. Right now I'm just going to a Community college to get my basics out of the way. All I had to do was take an entrance exam for class placement, and I averaged between the 97th and 99 percentile for placement. As far as I see... high schools put to much importance on the SAT when it's not really a big deal at most colleges and universities.

So as long as you have great transcripts... don't worry about that silly little SAT.... :teeth:

Bye bye...

::MinnieMo Jen ::MinnieMo
I'm not sure this is true. I got pretty bad grades in high school, and got great SAT scores, and got into some schools that some of the straight A people didn't get into. I'm sure that a really good transcript will make them overlook bad SAT scores, butthe SAts can make a difference.

I applied early entry to one school, my SAT's were above average and my transcript well that wasn't the best because I had been sick through high school.

They aren't placing as much focus on the SAT's if you do badly as they used to, they are starting to realize that not everyone tests well, and not everyone can conform to the same tests.

Evil Princess said:
It depends on SO MUCH. It really is different for everyone.

Mine were right about on for every school I applied to. For my school right now (first choice) my SAT's were higher than the average.

Now though, only a year and a half later, I don't even have the average SAT for my school. They went up THAT MUCH in that short of a time. Crazy.

Don't worry too much, they changed the SAT and its not out of 1600 anymore ;)
(atlest that is what they said on the news a week or two ago when the test was about to be given)

jimmybop said:
Don't worry too much, they changed the SAT and its not out of 1600 anymore ;)
(atlest that is what they said on the news a week or two ago when the test was about to be given)

I don't know if you're kidding, but that was the first time it was administered.

The average incomming freshman grades right now are based on the 1600 SAT.

Don't even get me started on this new test. I bet anyone lots of money that in a couple of years they revise the thing. Essays are way too subjective.

I'm not sure if mine were in the middle 50% range for my school - it doesn't show the information for my school at collegeboard.com. However, I do know that it wasn't my SAT score that got me accepted.... :confused3

I believe it was my GPA, extracurriculars, and other involvement in school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter