Zootopia expansion coming to Shanghai

If your talking about building a land for Lion King than you're the one being weird... my friend.
You brought up building a Lion King Land. And said they’d have to build it on the other side of the park from the show. I merely stated that was false because there is plenty of land around the show.

You then took that comment and started talking about a Haunted Mansion land in Tomorrowland for some reason...

I would prefer to see more of anything at Animal kingdom.
I would prefer more continent based animal interaction. Australia/New Zealand, and South and Central America second.
I can't help but think Indy can intertwine in any of the current lands in AK with the exception of Pandora. It need not be a primary theme, but a secondary one to get IP mixed in, and help the merchandising demand.
I think Moana, Brother Bear, the good dinosaur(ok this one is maybe not my first choice), Brave, Up, Nemo, Jungle book and Lion King IP's all have enough substance to them to work in the park for a mini land similar to Shanghai.

Though I think the ticket would be a combination of Central America, Mayan ruins, and just a sprinkle of Indiana Jones, shoe horned in between Expedition everest and Dinoland, and evicting Nemo for another location. I think the Mayan architecture would be a thematic hit and would keep in spirit with the Asia and Africa areas. I certainly feel they could make some sort of Mayan princess movie when it comes down to it ;)
Oh please, Oh please don't open up that box of Indy fits in AK .....that will only swirl this more.

I actually have to ask, why Moana Isn't an option here for AK, especially as they once were looking at mythilogical ideas. I happen to think Moana would be an awesome fit.
More Lion king also fits extremely well. Not sure if I agree with Brave or Brother Bear.

To me though, having a Polynesian area - focused on Moana IP would be awesome!

Oh please, Oh please don't open up that box of Indy fits in AK .....that will only swirl this more.

I actually have to ask, why Moana Isn't an option here for AK, especially as they once were looking at mythilogical ideas. I happen to think Moana would be an awesome fit.
More Lion king also fits extremely well. Not sure if I agree with Brave or Brother Bear.

It could be but I think it fits better for Adventureland.

Moana is a tough property to build a land for. Nearly impossible to build an island surrounded by ocean that would look right.

It’s too bad Fire Mountain got cut again. That could’ve been awesome. Maybe in a few years when capacity issues get worse.

Not that there will be any definite answers, but what I think is important to think about when arm chair imagineering is this:

While a theme may make sense in one park, it could make sense in multiple parks. Not every theme fits in every park.
I don't think animal kingdom is lacking any sort of design ideas and suggestions, and that was long before Zootopia was created. I think MK is pretty well set for "lands", though it might get more attractions to fit in those lands.
Epcot arguably could use some re-imagination for themes in the futureworld area, and DHS could also use more as well as re-theme of some existing things.

So Zootopia may be a great theme and IP for a land in a disney property, I just think it's a better fit outside of AK.

Moana is a tough property to build a land for. Nearly impossible to build an island surrounded by ocean that would look right.

It’s too bad Fire Mountain got cut again. That could’ve been awesome. Maybe in a few years when capacity issues get worse.

You could do it with the water only on the front part and that it wraps around the edges as far as you can see, so to give the illusion of it being an island - but you'd have to have a bridge or something, otherwise you get a Tom Sawyer island situation with rafts and that just doesn't seem efficient for a land you would want to be super popular

But it could largely be the mountain, etc.. I think it could fit as a land, though not sure how well it fits in AK as the movie wasn't really about animals or conservation or anything (yes there were Animals in it, but not really the focus)

Okay first I am ALL for a Jungle book area. You have Water ride where you ride on Baloo(or boat shaped like Baloo) you have caves and play area with baby wolves - Mowgli growing up ... and a King Louie dark ride going through the ruins ducking falling rocks and laughing and singing with Baloo ....What a great land!!!!

I hate to say this though......I don't see how Jungle book fits into AK any more than Zootopia - as Jungle book wasn't really about conservation and such....

Well, it does touch on Humans coming into area that is the Animals, so you could play the angle of deforestation and that sort of thing. Not saying it is perfect but I think it can fit with a much lower level of mental gymnastics

You could do it with the water only on the front part and that it wraps around the edges as far as you can see, so to give the illusion of it being an island - but you'd have to have a bridge or something, otherwise you get a Tom Sawyer island situation with rafts and that just doesn't seem efficient for a land you would want to be super popular

But it could largely be the mountain, etc.. I think it could fit as a land, though not sure how well it fits in AK as the movie wasn't really about animals or conservation or anything (yes there were Animals in it, but not really the focus)

But even if the built one side of water, you’ll still see land relatively close. Which very much was not the case in the film, that was kind of an important part of the plot. It would almost have to be an indoor land with screens projecting vast oceans, or maybe Disneyland’s ToonTown style backdrops. Or I guess the tribe could just move to a coast. Still not really Animal Kingdom material. A ride is perfect for Adventureland.

Actually, why an Island?

Why not focus on the "journey". Start by walking into a beach area(Polynesian village) moving to a dark ride area - with ocean voyage on the raft and finding Maui - then saving Te Fiti You don't need an Island, just a beach like area with a wave pool????? and do the dark ride instead. Just my $0.02

But even if the built one side of water, you’ll still see land relatively close. Which very much was not the case in the film, that was kind of an important part of the plot. It would almost have to be an indoor land with screens projecting vast oceans, or maybe Disneyland’s ToonTown style backdrops. Or I guess the tribe could just move to a coast. Still not really Animal Kingdom material. A ride is perfect for Adventureland.

yeah, I think you are right and definitely your idea is much preferable .... I think you could make it work - maybe even do it like with Galaxy's Edge where you have to walk through a berm to get to the land and then on the inside of that berm they project the ocean or something ....

I think to do it well as an outside land would be hard and very expensive

Um...Mk already has an island surrounded by water...tom Sawyer island

This might have been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread. But since conservation station/Rafiki's Planet watch has been closed, Wouldn't it make sense to include something more permanent and Zootopia themed back there?
After all, you even have to take a train just like Judy did in the movie. And since it does "feel" removed from the rest of the park, I think you could get away with it not fitting exactly with the overall conservation theme of the park.

Kind of like Dinoland USA. That has never felt like a "natural" part of the overall theme to me. But somehow they make it work.

I feel like we are on big bang theory and debating comic book "facts". ;)

Could the imagineers come up with a concept to make you feel like you are on an island in the middle of the ocean? They managed to pull off floating mountains for Pandora. I have to give them credit and suggest they could probably figure something out. Whether the design would be good for budgets, or fit with the rest of the park, who knows.

We also seem to have a newly evolving standard for Lands, and I think Animal Kingdom started the trend within Disney, where lands really have a cohesive theme, and are very immersive. It seems to have taken root with the company, and I like it. That being said, historically "lands" have been all over the map, some done better than others, and some that feel rushed, and some that might not seem to fit in the park they are placed.

Is Zootopia an IP worthy of it's own land in a US park? I think it could be. Of course I think their are a bunch of worthy IP's that haven't got their own land yet.
The more I think about it, if it was US bound, I'd prefer to see it at DCA first. Certainly would have preferred it in place of the Pixar pier.

Last edited:
This might have been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread. But since conservation station/Rafiki's Planet watch has been closed, Wouldn't it make sense to include something more permanent and Zootopia themed back there?
After all, you even have to take a train just like Judy did in the movie. And since it does "feel" removed from the rest of the park, I think you could get away with it not fitting exactly with the overall conservation theme of the park.

Kind of like Dinoland USA. That has never felt like a "natural" part of the overall theme to me. But somehow they make it work.
Rafikis wouldn’t go anywhere because it’s an animal hospital that services the safari. They could use the space around it but they would not get rid of Rafikis.

interesting take ... I think part of it is that the *need* to keep Planet Watch (in some capacity) as that is where the animal care happens and having that is part of being an accredited zoo, etc.

Now, they could perhaps tie that in, I mean, I assume there is an actual hospital in Zootopia so that could just be that part of the city

and not sure if they could make the train fit both the Zootopia and and the other end in Africa, but I think they could make it work

If they do go ahead with Zootopia I do think this idea fits better than, say, replacing Dinoland at the front of the park/visible from other areas

Zootopia makes more sense to Animal Kingdom than Pandora. The main characters in the film are animals, unlike with Avatar whose story is set around a human and an alien. It is more about their love story (like Titanic) than the animals they encounter. And the Banshees are just their form of transportation. They're are like a horse or car that helps the characters get around their planet.

interesting take ... I think part of it is that the *need* to keep Planet Watch (in some capacity) as that is where the animal care happens and having that is part of being an accredited zoo, etc.

Now, they could perhaps tie that in, I mean, I assume there is an actual hospital in Zootopia so that could just be that part of the city

and not sure if they could make the train fit both the Zootopia and and the other end in Africa, but I think they could make it work

If they do go ahead with Zootopia I do think this idea fits better than, say, replacing Dinoland at the front of the park/visible from other areas

I think they would need to re-house the hospital. I think the anthropomorphic characters in close proximity to actual animals receiving care might be a little jarring for the super small guests. The theming of the train would definably be an obstacle. My family has always loved that area of the park, it makes for a nice mini break. But I do think it doesn't get enough traffic to keep it as is. I think more things work in its favor for it to be the location of something Zootopia themed then against.

I feel like we are on big bang theory and debating comic book "facts". ;)

Could the imagineers come up with a concept to make you feel like you are on an island in the middle of the ocean? They managed to pull off floating mountains for Pandora. I have to give them credit and suggest they could probably figure something out. Whether the design would be good for budgets, or fit with the rest of the park, who knows.

We also seem to have a newly evolving standard for Lands, and I think Animal Kingdom started the trend within Disney, where lands really have a cohesive theme, and are very immersive. It seems to have taken root with the company, and I like it. That being said, historically "lands" have been all over the map, some done better than others, and some that feel rushed, and some that might not seem to fit in the park they are placed.

Floating mountains are much easier to pull off, it’s just an odd shaped building. An ocean is much much tougher since it’s open and flat, removing most options currently employed for visual trickery. So a Truman Show indoor style island could work for that. Just saying that Moana is a tough concept to build a full blown land for properly, unless they do what they did with Little Mermaid and just ignore the ocean’s existence. A ride however could pull off way more.
Either way it’s not happening currently anyways.

Zootopia presence at Planet Watch was fine before, albeit very minimal, mostly signs. Expanding the presence a bit would be something, but I don’t see them doing anything major back there while the train is the only way there and back. The train doesn’t have the capacity to support a popular land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter