12 days in WDW, where we ate...part 1

Erikarate

married her prince
The players:
Me, DH, DD 8, DS 6.

Where we stayed:
4 days at AKL Concierge, 8 days at BWV (1 BR unit)

Rating Scale:
10- everything perfect...food, service, atmosphere (very rare)
9- excellent, almost perfect
7-8- very good, overall great experience
5-6- mediocre, might not return
3-4- bad, not returning
1-2- should close this place down!!!

Normally I review one day at a time however it makes more sense to review the 4 days of concierge foods all at once. We planned less meals during our stay at AKL because we wanted to utilize the lounge. They provide such a great variety of foods here, it would be a waste of money to go elsewhere. We did do one meal at Chef Mickey's which I'll review later.

Although this is the restaurant board, I must mention that the staff at the AKL concierge lounge were extraordinary. They were very personable and gave us impecable service and unexpected "extras" that I may review at sometime on the trip boards.

AKL Concierge, 7/11/03 - 7/15/03

breakfast offerings included:
hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, pastries, muffins, fresh juices, and of course an amazing capucino machine...just press a button and you can have a variety of espresso drinks. I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the foods, but this is what I recall.

snack/tea time offerings:
for the lunchtime afternoon hours they had cinnamon pita chips (my favorite), mixed nuts, banana chips, goldfish crakers, gummy bears (my DS ate his share!), iced tea, lemonade, African Smooths (which had fruit juice, maybe mango, yogurt and honey...my favorite and DD's favorite)...during the tea hour they also added cookies and biscuits and tea of course.

dinner:
This varied slightly each evening, but many of the food stayed the same. We were glad one evening to go to Chef Mickey, even though the food at the lounge was excellent. Since much of it came from Boma, it made me rethink trying Boma again since my first experience there was poor.

We had veggie wraps, stuffed zucchini (which had couscous and nuts in it I think), lentil salad...very good, one of my favorites, beef sate...spicy and delicious, had this each night, salmon skewers, tamarind ham, these egg wedge things...didn't try them, hummus...3 varieties. One night they also had nut crusted salmon, cabbage and noodle salad with tofu, and avocado salad with corn (the latter two were a favorite of mine).

Also great South African wines which I sampled...sorry I forgot to write down the names.

for the kids were chicken nuggets with Boma mustard (spicy and good), and pbj's

desserts:
Each night there were cookies (sugar, chocolate chip, oatmeal?), after dinner drinks, and truffles (white, milk, and dark chocolate, with plenty of booze in them!). They also had on different nights zebra domes, mini lemon merangue pies, mini pineapple cheese cake (my favorite), and a carrot cake-like thing without icing.

As you can see there was plenty of food. We stuffed ourselves silly. The staff at the lounge kept everything full and fresh and accomodated any request.

Overall rating: 9 - excellent food, great service

We also did the Sunrise Safari during our stay at AKL, which is exclusive to concierge guests...a personalized tour of Kilamanjaro Safari before park opening and includes an amazing breakfast afterward. I highly recommend this to anyone who has the opportunity.

7/12, breakfast, Sunrise Safari at Tusker House, AK
This was the best breakfast I've yet to have at WDW. I wish it wasn't exclusively for Safari guests. Maybe if they had the buffet at Tusker...There was the exotic, and the basic american fare. Some of the things they had (I'm sure I'm leaving some out) are banana stuffed toast with a banana chip compote, omelette (veggie I think), sausage (links and patties...I prefer patties), bacon, scrambled eggs, sticky buns, pastries, grapefruit cobbler, sausage and onions, fresh fruit...can't remember the rest, sorry.

The staff made us feel like real VIP's...they gave us such individualized attention and service.

Overall rating: 9 1/2 for the safari and the meal afterward.

We rolled out of there and spent some time at AK. It is IMO the most beautiful of the Disney parks.

Next will review:
Chef Mickeys
Cinderella Breakfast

Wow!! I'm thinking dh and I may need to stay AKL concierge, it sounds wonderful. We love AKL anyway and would love to do the Safari.
Thanks for posting

Wonderful reviews. Looking forward to reading more about your other dining experiences.

I'm thinking I might give AKL concierge a try next June before moving "home" to BCV. I've never thought concierge would be worth the extra money for our group, but at AKL it may. Also, I'd love to try the sunrise safari! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing your experience at AKL Conc. We will be there in Oct. followed by VWL. We can't wait! I had just a quick question? Are soft drinks available in the lounge? I am a diet coke addict and don't know if I should bring my own or not? Also, are water bottles available to take to the parks? I remember from our stay at Poly Conc. they had water and soft drinks available all day! :bounce: Thanks for any input!:bounce:

Jacksmom-
Yes they do have sodas located in a mini fridge along with chocolate milk for the kids.

However they do not have any water "to go". They did have a large bottle of water and Perrier, but it was for everyone to share.

Great Concierge Food review :)

Sounds like they have added some items since we were there last August ~ we never had salads on any night (avacodo, pasta etc) that is new!

Sunrise Safari did not have the banana stuffed french toast either ~ I am looking forward to trying everything again soon :)

>>^..^<<

The restaurant board is the first one I come to, just to see if someone has posted their food experiences. Is that normal?? i love to read (and eat) about food! Great reviews. Concierge at AKL sounds great! I just wonder if we would be in the resort enough to benefit from it. How late was the "dinner" food available? Thanks. Looking forward to the rest of your posts. Dawn

ENJOYED YOUR REVIEW. CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT YOUR DINING EXPERIENCES. WE'RE HEADED FOR DISNEY IN SEPTEMBER AND CAN'T WAIT.

Sounds like you had a fabulous AKL Concierge stay, Erikarate!
Thanks for posting. Looking forward to the rest of your reviews.
I'm also looking forward to staying there!

Debbie

Thanks so much I love reading everyone's reviews it gets you excited for your upcoming trip.

Thanks for the reviews--they were very dangerous--I may have to book AKL Concierge for the food and the Sunrise Safari!! :p

Thanks Guys-

Cashew- Lucky you! Have a great time!

Dawn AK- Dinner was from 5-7pm, dessert at 8pm

What time did the lounge close? Did they have cordials and desserts till around 10 PM like the other conceirge lounges?
I am also beginning to think about changing my plans for my Nov trip to include 2 nights conceirge at AKL before moving to my DVC home at BWV. I would really like to do the Sunrise Safari and AKL's concerige sounds wonderful! Also is the Sunrise Safari held everyday? Thanks!

Hi DeeP

The sunrise safari is only held Tuesdays and Saturdays ~ at times it has been full and they have taken a waitlist.

On the morning I went there was a family that didn't have park admission (and did not want to buy it either :rolleyes: so they didn't go) and there was a family in the lounge thrilled to take their place. :)

>>^..^<<

at times it has been full and they have taken a waitlist.
Thanks for the info! Do you know how far in advance they will take reservations for the safari?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter