20050514..May 14, 2005...Official Check in Disney's 1st 14 Day thru Panama Canal Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys......

For those of you who know Paula from onboard, please say a prayer for her. She just got word that her sister was attacked while staying at Paula's house and is now hospitalized. :sad2:

She and her Mom are trying to get home to be w/ her.....

Kendra

MouseKids said:
Seaulater: Can you (or someone else) explain whether signing up for the DVC now would have any benefit in terms of paying for a Mediteranean cruise? Thank You!

Here's my answer:

If you love Disney and plan on continuing, then I think in the long run the answer is "yes". Do not plan on an immediate return, but over the term of the contract you would see a definite savings as well as you would be able to sell you contract at some point if you decided not to continue to use it.
Disney always has the first right of refusal to purchase back your contract.

I spent some time yesterday figuring out the difference between paying cash for Disney cruises at today's rates vs. using DCL points for a variety of categories and a variety of cruises. The savings over the entire contract with DVC by far outweigh paying cash for the cruises. And granted, the points may increase over time, but then, so would the cash prices with Disney. Also, remember, at your home resort the points cannot change over the contract, so in terms of staying at your home resort, inflation will occur, but your points won't. Also on DCL points you do not pay the port charges and taxes, only a $75 exchange fee.

What I have done in the past is make a cash reservation to get the best price and then at the 11 month window, called DVC to book with points. You make a separate reservation with DVC and while you are on hold on the telephone they call DCL and then come back and give you confirmation information.

Then, I have to call DCL myself and cancel the cash reservation.

In this case, the 11 month window is waived and DVC will begin taking reservations on April 4th at the same time the cash reservations open. What I plan on doing is immediately get on the internet or phone and call DCL directly and get a cash reservation in and then call DVC to book with points. I don't think I'll have a problem (never have in the past) and I'm sure I'll get my reservation done with points.

As soon as you begin your purchase process with DVC, within 24 hours you can use your points. Right now they are giving you points starting with Oct. 2005 however, your maintenance fees don't start until the date you agree to purchase. In addition, this can all be done via telephone or email as per my vacation advisor yesterday (I was checking for another one of my disboard friends). The price is going up on points April 1.

If you want further information, PM me, I'm happy to share my "unscientific" analysis of the value of your membership and the different ways to use it. I have been told I should make a guidebook on how to use DVC to your advantage since I seem to be able to get the most value out of my membership and the different ways I use it.

If anyone else is interested in my analysis, PM me and I'll send you over some food for thought.

We did buy at Old Key West in 2004, but we just recently added 250 points to our membership so we have bought at a lower price and then now at the current price.

My two cents worth!

Linda

DisneyPinDiva said:
Our baby just got engaged.....:sad: :sad:
at sunset in Key West.........
I'm gonna be a MIL!!! :scared1: :faint:

That's great! Are you and Joe going to be at the mousehouse anytime soon?

cotomom said:
Hi guys......

For those of you who know Paula from onboard, please say a prayer for her. She just got word that her sister was attacked while staying at Paula's house and is now hospitalized. :sad2:

She and her Mom are trying to get home to be w/ her.....

Kendra

Kendra

How horrible....We just saw Paula on our March 11- 18 cruise (she was our assistant server on the Panama cruise) and she told us that she would be done on the Magic in 5 weeks as her and her husband were returning to Jamaica to start a family.

We will definitley keep her and her family in our prayers.

Mickey&JoshNut said:
How horrible....We just saw Paula on our March 11- 18 cruise (she was our ***'t server on the Panama cruise) and she told us that she would be done on the Magic in 5 weeks as her and her husband were returning to Jamaica to start a family. We will definitley keep her and her family in our prayers.
Thanks, Elaine!! I wasn't placing a Paula, and I was confused if her sis was staying at her house, why they had to get home to her. How sad....I hope her sis is OK, and they catch the jerk....

I see you fixed your "potty mouth"....:thumbsup2 Isn't it funny what gets "caught"!!?!?!?!? :rotfl2:

kellib36 said:
Thanks, Elaine!! I wasn't placing a Paula, and I was confused if her sis was staying at her house, why they had to get home to her. How sad....I hope her sis is OK, and they catch the jerk....

I see you fixed your "potty mouth"....:thumbsup2 Isn't it funny what gets "caught"!!?!?!?!? :rotfl2:

Yes...it is strange the things that get caught....but yes I fixed my "potty mouth"!!!!!

I'm not sure if there is more than one Paula onboard though, because everytime I'd ask about Paula...the CM would say Paula from Jamaica???

Paula was so excited about leaving and starting a family that this must be breaking her heart....I wish I could see her to give her a big hug.....

That's exactly how I feel. I wanted to crawl through the phone lines to be w/ her. I know she feels helpless being onboard and not able to do anything.

She was supposed to come stay w/ us a few days before going home ... and now just wants to get home to her family. Definitely understandable. :sad:

cotomom said:
That's exactly how I feel. I wanted to crawl through the phone lines to be w/ her. I know she feels helpless being onboard and not able to do anything.

She was supposed to come stay w/ us a few days before going home ... and now just wants to get home to her family. Definitely understandable. :sad:

Do you have a pic of Paula? I'm trying to place her, but if she was on a different rotation we may have never met her. Her sis is in our prayers.

elaine-watch your potty mouth, we don't want you banned from the boards! :rotfl2:

Linda...all I was trying to do was write a short form...I won't be that anymore!!!!

We had late dining on the APL dining rotation

Edited to remove photos for privacy reasons.

Kendra,

That's terrible! Paula is one of our favorite CM's onboard. I hope she can get home to her sister soon! They are both in our prayers!

Renae

Guys,

I probably don't have to say it, but please keep the info close to you. I'd hate it to all end up all over the DIS boards.

I hesitated to post it at all, but know I'm not the only one that loves this sweetie, so wanted extra thoughts and prayers for her and her family in this time of need.

I will keep you all informed as I find out more info.

:grouphug: Kendra

Kendra

I went back and removed the photos I had posted....to respect Paula's privacy.

If and when you speak to her, please tell her her Table 9 family loves her and will keep her and her family in our prayers.

Thanks a bunch

Linda, good analysis of DVC points, Scott says he was hurting too much to think straight when he typed his answer. Can you really add on to DVC? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: (That is Scott being silly). Questions about add on's can be directed to us, we have done a few. :teeth: :thumbsup2
Elaine, I really think you should buy the DVC points, then use them for the cruise! (That is something else Scott was trying to say, but I'm not sure he made his point).
Scott says he remembers Paula, and is sorry to hear the bad news.
Lynn
:eeyore:

Linda

We also like you Explanation of the points..

We do have a cruised booked on points !
Taking 4 kids on a cruise Is not cheap!
and Glad we had the points to make this happen :goodvibes

Now I wonder if I Can contact KelliJo before April 4th ! (Dvc rep)

What does this mean ???

Does not Say this for use year 2007 !

USE Year September 2008

Total Annual Allotment of Vacation Points ****
Total Vacation Points Remaining ****
Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow ****

* The Vacation Points above reflect the sum of all of your Contracts under this Member ID. These Vacation Points are from the Use Year three years in the future.

* Total Annual Allotment of Vacation Points is the total number of Vacation Points you receive on the first day of each Use Year.

* Total Vacation Points Remaining is the number of Vacation Points in this Use Year you have not yet used.

* Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow is the total number of Vacation Points remaining from this Use Year that you can borrow for a Disney Cruise Line® vacation that will take place in the previous Use Year. :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Peter

Mickey&JoshNut said:
Kendra

I went back and removed the photos I had posted....to respect Paula's privacy.

If and when you speak to her, please tell her her Table 9 family loves her and will keep her and her family in our prayers.

Thanks a bunch
Will do Elaine.... :grouphug:
Didn't mean for you to remove photos...... but maybe a good idea? :confused3

K

Hello everyone
I'm almost convinced to use DVC points for the Med Repo... seems like we can use 06 and 07 and borrow from 08 so that should do it. Better than choosing between the wedding and the cruise.... :thumbsup2
Has anyone asked DCL if there will be any airfare charter coming back from Barcelona after the repo?? Seems like that would be a good idea.... :confused3

DisneyPinDiva said:
Hello everyone
I'm almost convinced to use DVC points for the Med Repo... seems like we can use 06 and 07 and borrow from 08 so that should do it. Better than choosing between the wedding and the cruise.... :thumbsup2
Has anyone asked DCL if there will be any airfare charter coming back from Barcelona after the repo?? Seems like that would be a good idea.... :confused3

Leslie... When I spoke with the DCL manager a few weeks back, he indicated they "may" put something together for the repro cruises, and are looking into it... So the real answer is... I don't really know! :lmao:

We don't have enough points for both of us on the cruise... maybe for 1 passage. We'll flip for it!

We're still batting the May 12th one around a bit. Next week will come soon, so we better make up our minds.

Bob and Lee... hope you're having LOTS OF FUN at WDW!!!

I am really conflicted about this cruise too. For last year's Repo, I could not wait to book!!! But now, I keep saying I want to go, then I look at the numbers and the ports, and the numbers, and the ports.... and I keep thinking that a Hawaiian cruise would be so much cheaper, with a lot more ports. But it wouldn't be Disney. Guess I have to make up my mind before Tuesday.. :confused3

Hygiene99 said:
Linda

We also like you Explanation of the points..

We do have a cruised booked on points !
Taking 4 kids on a cruise Is not cheap!
and Glad we had the points to make this happen :goodvibes

Now I wonder if I Can contact KelliJo before April 4th ! (Dvc rep)

What does this mean ???

Does not Say this for use year 2007 !

USE Year September 2008

Total Annual Allotment of Vacation Points ****
Total Vacation Points Remaining ****
Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow ****

* The Vacation Points above reflect the sum of all of your Contracts under this Member ID. These Vacation Points are from the Use Year three years in the future.

* Total Annual Allotment of Vacation Points is the total number of Vacation Points you receive on the first day of each Use Year.

* Total Vacation Points Remaining is the number of Vacation Points in this Use Year you have not yet used.

* Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow is the total number of Vacation Points remaining from this Use Year that you can borrow for a Disney Cruise Line® vacation that will take place in the previous Use Year. :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Peter

If you buy in RIGHT NOW, (that is, there is a price per point increase on April 1), you can get $98 per point less $8 per point for a net of $90. PLUS you will get points awarded from October, 2005.

SO-say you want to go on the 14 day repo, category 11. 287 points. In reality, if you bought only 200 points ($90 x 200=$18,000) you would get to use points for October, 2005 (bank), October 2006 (use), and October 2007 (borrow) and with only 10% down ($1,800) you could do the Med. cruise and it would cost you the $75 exchange fee PLUS no port charges or taxes.

Maintenance fees per year would cost you $796 right now. And they don't start until you initiate the contract, but you get the points from Oct. 2005.

Go on about 4 cruises in the next 10 years, and you will have paid for your membership, but you will also get the points every year until 1/31/54. Plus if you ever wanted to sell you could probably get alot of it back with the way points keep going up in price.

Just a fair warning-points are going up April 1. The DVC sales person can do everything via email or fax and you get your points awarded within 24 hours of when you initiate the paperwork. I know someone that actually just did this between yesterday and today.

Hate to tell you guys this, but I'm sure Scott will also agree. We have never regretted our decision into buying our initial points (nor any of the add ons). We have done so many cruises and trips to WDW on points, and it sure has been nice not to get out that credit card to pay for any of that stuff when we are at the mousehouse!

If you are thinking about joining DVC do it this week so you can use points next week to book the Med Cruises. I talked to DVC this morning and they will open at 8 a.m. EST April 4 which coincides with DCL opening the lines for reservations.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter