2008 Ddp Plans For Dvc Members?

hansel1

DIS Veteran
Has anyone read or heard whether DVC members will be allowed to purchase the DDP plans. I know that the past couple of years DVC members could purchase the plan, but with the changes I was wondering if disney decided against letting us purchase the plans.

I checked the dvc website and the Dining Plan link still has the 2007 information.

I don't see why not considering that it is no
longer a great deal.
Kerri

Has anyone read or heard whether DVC members will be allowed to purchase the DDP plans. I know that the past couple of years DVC members could purchase the plan, but with the changes I was wondering if disney decided against letting us purchase the plans.

I was speaking to Member Services last week, and she assured me that the Disney Dining Plan WILL DEFINITELY still be available, but she could not give me details on rates and whatever else. I assume we'll be seeing that soon.

When I booked my 2008 reservation today the CM at MS asked me if I wanted the dining plan. She told me they had made changes to the plan and 2 plans are available. DDP is $37.99 adult and $9.99 for a child. You no longer get an appetizer and the tip is no longer included.
Deluxe dining plan is $69.99 for an adult and $19.99 for a child. It includes 3 table or counter services meals including appertizer and 2 snacks a day and a resort refillable mug.

When I booked my 2008 reservation today the CM at MS asked me if I wanted the dining plan. She told me they had made changes to the plan and 2 plans are available. DDP is $37.99 adult and $9.99 for a child. You no longer get an appetizer and the tip is no longer included.
Deluxe dining plan is $69.99 for an adult and $19.99 for a child. It includes 3 table or counter services meals including appertizer and 2 snacks a day and a resort refillable mug.

I guess that answers the OP's question--as well as the rest of us that were wondering! I guess we will go ahead with the DP for our Feb. trip since their are 8 of us going. It will be less confusing for all, I think. However, whenever DH & I do our next solo trip, we will be breaking out the old DDE card.

Well that completely is not good. That's the equivilent of making the plan cost in the vicinity of $50. Perhaps they're just trying to steer everyone to the Deluxe one? Either way, Crossroads for me.

Keep in mind the Deluxe plan does not include tips either.

That said, the DDP is still a fantastic deal, at least for our family. Appetizer and tips be darned. Even adding the tips back in, we calculated that we will be ahead for the duration of our next trip.

Keep in mind the Deluxe plan does not include tips either.

That said, the DDP is still a fantastic deal, at least for our family. Appetizer and tips be darned. Even adding the tips back in, we calculated that we will be ahead for the duration of our next trip.

I agree!! For our Dec '08 trip we will do the Deluxe plan and it will still save us about $75 or more!! We eat at mainly buffets so the tip is never as large as at a sit down TS. I also like the flexibility of choosing our meals. I always struggled to come up with enough CS meals. We prefer TS and would end up paying OOP for some.

I am not put off by the changes at all..it is still a great deal!

I guess it's different for everyone. I think less people will see the value in the plan now though. For example, we usually eat [well] for less than $50 per day per person. If we plan, we can usually eat for less than half of that.

I still think it works for some, but imo, the overall pool of users will decrease -- which might just be what they want. ;)

First of all, I'm glad to see this thread here.

Like everything else, there is such variation in family size and normal eating habits that every family is going to have to evaluate DDP 2008 based on their own situation. Some will find the new plan still beneficial, and some will not.

However, there is no cookie-cutter answer to DDP. For example, we always drive up from Miami, so we always have a car. Not everyone does, and if you are a "captive audience" onsite, you're going to eat most of your meals onsite and that changes the math.

I've done the calculations for our family, and DDP 2008 doesn't make sense for us. We'll be eating breakfast (and some lunches because we usually come back midday for pool/nap time) in our villa, and eating virtually all of our other meals offsite. We will only do one character meal onsite each trip, and we'll grab an occasional snack in a park, but that's it.

I think you have to compare the cost of DDP (and adding in whatever you would tip) vs. the costs you would have if you ate as you would normally eat without DDP. Comparing the cost of DDP to the inflated menu prices doesn't really tell you whether you're spending more money on DDP or less money on DDP -- it will just give you the marketing hype "40% savings!!!" But that's not real savings if you wouldn't normally eat that way paying cash.

Although DDP does not make sense for us (with a car, 2A/1C), it will still benefit many families, especially those with multiple kids <10. And, as crazy as it sounds, the deluxe DDP will benefit some folks too...especially for short trips.

First of all, I'm glad to see this thread here.

Like everything else, there is such variation in family size and normal eating habits that every family is going to have to evaluate DDP 2008 based on their own situation. Some will find the new plan still beneficial, and some will not.

However, there is no cookie-cutter answer to DDP. For example, we always drive up from Miami, so we always have a car. Not everyone does, and if you are a "captive audience" onsite, you're going to eat most of your meals onsite and that changes the math.

I've done the calculations for our family, and DDP 2008 doesn't make sense for us. We'll be eating breakfast (and some lunches because we usually come back midday for pool/nap time) in our villa, and eating virtually all of our other meals offsite. We will only do one character meal onsite each trip, and we'll grab an occasional snack in a park, but that's it.

I think you have to compare the cost of DDP (and adding in whatever you would tip) vs. the costs you would have if you ate as you would normally eat without DDP. Comparing the cost of DDP to the inflated menu prices doesn't really tell you whether you're spending more money on DDP or less money on DDP -- it will just give you the marketing hype "40% savings!!!" But that's not real savings if you wouldn't normally eat that way paying cash.

Although DDP does not make sense for us (with a car, 2A/1C), it will still benefit many families, especially those with multiple kids <10. And, as crazy as it sounds, the deluxe DDP will benefit some folks too...especially for short trips.

Very well put!! If we drove down then it would make absolute sense to skip the DDP with so many TS just off property. Since we love our TS meals then the Deluxe makes sense for us....we are also going to do CRT and HDDR Xmas week next year and it will help to not have to pay OOP for them.

Like you said, it will depend on each family's situation. :wizard:

I, for one, will probably skip the DDP from now on- at least when we have the kids with us.

It always irked me anyway that my 12 yr. old daughter was considered an adult. She was usually unable to eat even half her TS meals, and we felt it hard to justify spending $38 per day for someone who eats like a bird.

According to my math, the old DDP would cost our family of four (adults) about $1064 for a seven day trip. Now, the same seven days would amount roughly to $1226, based on the fact that I would now tip 18% for TS meals (plus or minus). That doesn't even take into account the fact that appetizers are no longer part of the equation.

We really love the DDP, even with it's imperfections. Unfortunately, at least for us, it's just not worth it to us anymore.

By the way, I'll bet that the waitstaff will be more upset with the changes than anyone. They made out like bandits with the old system!

My other daughter has recently turned 9, and now she's a DDP adult.
Naw, actually she has one more year of Disney childhood left. When she turns ten, she becomes an adult for park tickets, DDP, driving, drinking beer, etc.
By the way, I'll bet that the waitstaff will be more upset with the changes than anyone. They made out like bandits with the old system!
Boy, you've got that right!

They had been doing very well. I don't think the waitstaff in many of the places like Le Cellier were overpaid, because they work very hard for their money at busy restaurants. They will definitely take a hit. It will be so easy for someone to say (wink, wink), "Oh...you mean the tip is not included???" Or, my personal favorite: "My family can't afford to eat at these prices if I have to tip too!"

The staffs at the buffets certainly did very well, and they are the ones who will really get slammed. Most folks won't tip 18% for a buffet, and I'd bet a sizeable percentage won't tip at all...or just leave a token $1-2.

The staffs at the buffets certainly did very well, and they are the ones who will really get slammed. Most folks won't tip 18% for a buffet, and I'd bet a sizeable percentage won't tip at all...or just leave a token $1-2.

DH and I wondered what the right amount is to tip at a buffet since the waitress is just clearing plates and bringing drinks. Does that warrent 18% since we are still getting up for food? We were clueless this past June as to what to tip if we are ever NOT on the DDP.

I think that 10-12% is fair. $10-$12 on a $100 check sounds pretty reasonable, in my opinion.

What is unfair is that many times the waitress will get a dollar or two or even nothing at all, in some cases.

I think that 10-12% is fair. $10-$12 on a $100 check sounds pretty reasonable, in my opinion.

What is unfair is that many times the waitress will get a dollar or two or even nothing at all, in some cases.

That's pretty much along the lines of what we have been doing. :thumbsup2

DH and I will be paying OOP from now on and still eating at our favorite restaurants. We feel like we are going to blow up eating an appetizer, meal and dessert. And being children of the 1950's and the "clean the plate club" we have this strange notion that we have to eat it all! Even if we spend the same, at least we won't gain 10 pounds on vacation!

Although I thought the DDP was a great deal before, excluding the tip in particular will make it less so. The appetizer I won't miss much.

And while some think the wait staff made out like bandits, I always had good service and thought they deserved their gratuities. When I had good service, I generally tipped closer to 20%. I think the wait staff, for the most part, works very hard for their money. And you have to take into account that the wait staff usually splits with the food runners and the bus help (I think), so it's not just the server who gets the entire tip. Guests can be fussy, and I think it's easy to take out any frustrations on those who are reliant on gratuities for their living.

My question is: How much will food be increasing in price if you order off the menu? I'd heard some time ago that finding "prime" beef was becoming difficult for better restaurants to procure, so I'm expecting menu prices will be increasing also. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Aside from the DDP, maybe I'll just pay closer attention to the discounts DVCers get for selected restaurants, and hope those don't go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter