2008 Ddp Plans For Dvc Members?

Although I thought the DDP was a great deal before, excluding the tip in particular will make it less so. The appetizer I won't miss much.

And while some think the wait staff made out like bandits, I always had good service and thought they deserved their gratuities. When I had good service, I generally tipped closer to 20%. I think the wait staff, for the most part, works very hard for their money. And you have to take into account that the wait staff usually splits with the food runners and the bus help (I think), so it's not just the server who gets the entire tip. Guests can be fussy, and I think it's easy to take out any frustrations on those who are reliant on gratuities for their living.

My question is: How much will food be increasing in price if you order off the menu? I'd heard some time ago that finding "prime" beef was becoming difficult for better restaurants to procure, so I'm expecting menu prices will be increasing also. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Aside from the DDP, maybe I'll just pay closer attention to the discounts DVCers get for selected restaurants, and hope those don't go away.

I don't think that anyone can argue that the waitstaff made out like bandits with the old system.

If you ask the best waiter in the world if he (or she) would take a guaranteed 18% from each and every table or take his or her chances on getting 20% or getting 5% (or even stiffed) and he or she will tell you that they will take the 18% system every single time.

I happen to think that the Disney waitstaff (and the TS waitstaff in particular) earn every cent they get. They are by and large very good at what they do. In fact, I believed in tipping extra for extraordinary service, even though the tip was already included with the old DDP.

I think that the waitstaff will continue to provide excellent service to Disney patrons. Under the new system however, they will most certainly earn less than before. Just ask them.

When I booked my 2008 reservation today the CM at MS asked me if I wanted the dining plan. She told me they had made changes to the plan and 2 plans are available. DDP is $37.99 adult and $9.99 for a child. You no longer get an appetizer and the tip is no longer included.
Deluxe dining plan is $69.99 for an adult and $19.99 for a child. It includes 3 table or counter services meals including appertizer and 2 snacks a day and a resort refillable mug.

What is the current price for DDP for the regular plan?? Thanks

We like to eat inside the world. My wife says, I'm on vacation and I don't want to spend my vacation cooking. We use the DDP. We have had a lot of fun with it until this trip. I have had a heck of a time trying to get reservations anywhere. We are about 1 1/2 months from our trip and I just finished my last reservation. I have had to accept ressies for 9pm or eat at lunch time. Could not get anywhere we wanted to eat either. The CMs tell me that everything is sold out because they had given free DDP to everyone who has paid for a vacation package. Gee, I think we have paid plenty upfront and in dues. Also paid for Premium APs and tickets for our guest and we don't get crapola. Did I spell that right
Crap-O-La. We have to pay for our DDP and then can't get a decent reservation anywhere. DDP is not getting any better. I have had as much bad service as I have had good service. I believe that the gratuity will be a forced 18%. I have not heard otherwise.

Well, since we all have difficulty securing ADR's even months out, Disney should start building more restaurants. The DVC membership has grown tremendously - with the growth, they should be planning to accomodate guests with TS restaurants. I haven't read through my stock holder's annual report. Has anyone seen anything about planning new restaurants?

We like to eat inside the world. My wife says, I'm on vacation and I don't want to spend my vacation cooking. We use the DDP. We have had a lot of fun with it until this trip. I have had a heck of a time trying to get reservations anywhere. We are about 1 1/2 months from our trip and I just finished my last reservation. I have had to accept ressies for 9pm or eat at lunch time. Could not get anywhere we wanted to eat either. The CMs tell me that everything is sold out because they had given free DDP to everyone who has paid for a vacation package.
That's correct, but free DDP is not always the problem. If you go during F&W, a lot of the Epcot restaurants are busy; if you go during the holidays, you often can't get Epcot ADRs without the CP package. Free DDP is the bogeyman for your trip, but at other times of the year, there are other causes.

ADRs are just like anything else at WDW -- you have to learn and follow the drill. Everyone who wants to dine onsite has 180 days in advance to make ADRs (180+10 for onsite guests). If you have particular restaurants where you really want to eat, you have to make ADRs early -- or settle for late or lunch. It's much easier to make ADRs early and cancel than it is to try a couple of months out during a busy period...or even a not-very-busy period.
I believe that the gratuity will be a forced 18%. I have not heard otherwise.
No. The gratuity will be INCLUDED in the DDP price for your upcoming trip. However, in 2008, the gratuity will no longer be included, nor will the appetizer at the TS meals. Also in 2008, all parties of 6 or more (regardless of how they are paying for their meal -- DDP or not) will have an 18% gratuity added to their check (that threshhold is currently parties of 8 or more). All DDE checks, regardless of party size, will also carry the automatic 18% gratuity, starting 1/1/08.

Well as far as DDP I'm out. We did it because it was an easy way for us to eat and it ws pretty much the way we weat. With a car we will be going off site more but also taking advantage of what DVC and AP discounts we get.
While many are 10% a fair number are 20%--just carry the blue card!

Well, since we all have difficulty securing ADR's even months out, Disney should start building more restaurants. The DVC membership has grown tremendously - with the growth, they should be planning to accomodate guests with TS restaurants. I haven't read through my stock holder's annual report. Has anyone seen anything about planning new restaurants?
They have been building more restaurants. They added a nice restaurant to SSR, and I think they are currently building two new restaurants at AK.

As far as DVC is concerned, remember that the total DVC membership is only a tiny fraction of their overall visitor base. I KNOW we're the most important group :rolleyes: , but we're still a very small, very important group.

Having difficulty getting ADRs "...even months out" is a relative problem. If I let 4-5 months go by - giving hundreds of thousands of other visitors first shot at ADRs I want - it's hardly Disney's fault if I have difficulty.

I have done that, but that's MY bad, not Disney's. The ADRs were there; I just didn't take them when I could have.

I know it is a personal choice and will be different for each family, but I just do not see the value in the DDP in its original form let alone the revised plan. We are a family of 5 (2 A, 12, 10, and 5). We drive down for 2 weeks every July so we always have our car. This past trip, I spent $1580 for the 5 of us to eat for 14 days. We did Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, San Angel Inn, Ohana, Trail's End, and Flame Tree using the DDE card. We used the 30% DVC Discount at Fulton's Crab House. We ate a fair amount of CS and snacks. We enjoyed an occasional drink/wine with our meals. We ate offsite at places like Longhorn Steak House, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, I-Hop and take-out from Hooters (for the wings of course :rotfl: ). We did all breakfasts in the room except 2 and a few lunches in the room as well.

We ate really well. I am a big guy and I gained weight despite all of the walking we did in the parks. If we were on the DDP, it would have cost me $170/day or $2380. I just can't see eating more than we did or spending another $800. Plus I would not want to have to worry about getting to a restaurant at a specific time every single day.

In addition, I think the selection and the quality of the food at WDW is drastically on the decline while the prices keep going up. IMHO, you can get a much better meal for 50-60% of the price offsite.

I have question about the 2008 plan...if my reservation starts in 2007 and then extends into 2008 will I keep the old plan the whole time? or will it switch over mid trip to the new plan?

They have been building more restaurants. They added a nice restaurant to SSR, and I think they are currently building two new restaurants at AK.

As far as DVC is concerned, remember that the total DVC membership is only a tiny fraction of their overall visitor base. I KNOW we're the most important group :rolleyes: , but we're still a very small, very important group.

Having difficulty getting ADRs "...even months out" is a relative problem. If I let 4-5 months go by - giving hundreds of thousands of other visitors first shot at ADRs I want - it's hardly Disney's fault if I have difficulty.

I have done that, but that's MY bad, not Disney's. The ADRs were there; I just didn't take them when I could have.

I think that IS the problem. 180 days is a ridiculously long time in advance to reserve a restaurant. 60 days would be more logical. Because I know about the 180 days, I do reserve.
I'm going with a group of friends next October. When I told them we had to plan when and where we wanted to eat six months in advance, they thought I was joking.
I especially feel bad for those living in the Orlando area who can no longer eat at Disney. How many of you make reservations 180 days in advance at your local restaurants?

I think that IS the problem. 180 days is a ridiculously long time in advance to reserve a restaurant. 60 days would be more logical. Because I know about the 180 days, I do reserve.
Actually, the 180 day system we have now was created in response to complaints about the old system -- which was 90 days. People complained that they made plans far in advance, but then had to wait until 90 days to make their ADRs...and then couldn't get them!

You could allow ADRs two years ahead of time and some would say they couldn't get them, and you could require calling the "day of" and people would complain. The simple fact is that not everyone can eat at 6:30 PM every night -- no matter when you allow them to make reservations.

I never had any trouble with the 90 day system, and the only time I've had trouble with 180 days is when I made the ADRs I really cared about and then forgot to call back and make the rest. I had to do some minor juggling that time, but I somehow survived the ordeal. :rolleyes:
I especially feel bad for those living in the Orlando area who can no longer eat at Disney.
Naw...don't weep for them. Local dining at Epcot is so popular that Disney has a special "Epcot after 4 PM" AP just for that purpose! Locals do just fine.

I'm going with a group of friends next October. When I told them we had to plan when and where we wanted to eat six months in advance, they thought I was joking.

Your friends sound like my DH's relatives. We're taking them to WDW in December and treating them to what comes out to about 1 nice TS meal per day. THOSE ADRs I made for all of us back in June. The family thought I was crazy. I've also made ADRS just for me and DH for some of the other meals. I told the family they are on their own but I highly suggest that they make ADRs too. They haven't, of course. There will be much whining in December when I say "I told you so."

As far as planning 180 days out....there are reasons why people can't do that.

I am a nurse and work for the federal gov. The union rules for requesting vacation are ....for 2008, all requests are due by Oct 31 2007. The manager has until Nov 30 of 2007 to approve vacation requests. There are 30 of us vying for vacation weeks. The most senior nurse gets first dibs...and on down, and only 2 nurses are permitted to take vacation any particular week.

I would think that I am not alone with difficulty in getting time off.

So planning a vacation and getting ADR's isn't easy unless you do it late in the year.

I am sorry, but I disagree about having enough TS restaurants in WDW. If you follow the ADR cancellation threads all year long, there are many families unable to get ADR's. I loved Tuskerhouse as a counter service and ate there every time I was at AK. I hope it will be the same quality. Service at the new TS in AK will be limited due to the shorter hours ar AK.

I am not an ADR person. That said... I generally survive just fine.

I was in Disney in July where I met some friends, a family of five with a friend, so a party of six. My friend called Disney Dining to change some reservations. For the family of SIX about four days in advance she had a choice of Jiko, Yatchmans and at least one other 2 TS place. (She was trying to combine some meals) at REASONABLE times.

I have "walked" into Jiko, Rose & Crown etc. Granted I don't have to eat right at noon or 6:30, but I wasn't eating Dinner at midnight either LOL!

There are a few places that are very hard to get, LeCellier.... (Which IMHO is starting to suffer, I felt like it was on the decline last time I ate there...)

IMHO the food at MOST of those "international" Epcot resturants can generally be found in your home town and often for a better price and quality. (Nine Dragons comes to mind. It was not authetic Chinese and it was some of the WORST "American" Chinese I have ever had.... and the prices... YIKES!!!)

I have to agree with Carol......we rarely make ADR's and have only had a handful of occasions where we've been unable to eat at a TS restaurant at a reasonable hour.....one of which was at LeCellier. However, that said, when our whole family (six of us) vacations together, we usually eat our main meal late afternoon (maybe around 4 or so) and when it's just DH and I we're pretty flexible with time (up to around 9 p.m.) plus I believe it's far easier to snag a last minute table for two than for five or six people. We're visiting in January, 2008 and there will be three of us, DH, myself and DS (18). DS has wanted to try LeCellier on our last three trips and we've been unable to get an ADR at a decent hour........I think I'm going to try this week to make an ADR (something I've never done before......ADR's 5 months before the trip!!!) and surprise him. However, last October during F & W, four of us decided to try for a last minute ADR at Artist Point.....and had no trouble getting one at 6:15 p.m. the next evening.

Two weeks ago we decided on the spur of the moment to drive to Tampa to catch a Red Sox game. We had a 5:45 ADR at Ohana for that same day. So we wouldn't have to rush back we decided to see if we could change it to another night as we still had a week left on our vacation. The best that we could get was a 9:45 ADR!!! This was for a family of 5.

We'll no longer do the DDP in 2008. For us it was all about having everything prepaid and the convenience. We never crunched the numbers or worried about choosing the most expensive items off each menu or eating at the most expensive places. When I read in the other thead about people using their children's credits for adults (for which that loophole is now closed), sharing a credit, or even the offsite guests who rented a campsite for 12 and got free dining for all for around $39 a night ( for which that loophole is now closed) I was really shocked as I would never have thought how to "maximize my returns" so to speak. Now that the gratuities are removed as well as the appetizer, there's no percieved value for us since it wasn't about a monetary issue to start with for my family but rather the "totally prepaid" issue. My teens much preferred a salad to a dessert but that's no longer an option which is also a factor in my decision. I'd have rather paid more for the plan and had everything that was included in 07 remaining in 08. Still, I'm sure it's a great value for some and at least I have a choice so I'm not angry or complaining about the changes- just a bit sad to see something we enjoyed no longer available. Also I wonder about the gratuity issue with the servers and had read where people thought the servers didn't like the DDP/prepaid grats, thus including the removal of DDP gratuities from their 08 contract. ---Kathy

Also I wonder about the gratuity issue with the servers and had read where people thought the servers didn't like the DDP/prepaid grats, thus including the removal of DDP gratuities from their 08 contract. ---Kathy

I doubt it was the servers that wanted the gratuity removed, a guaranteed 18%, even with all taxes taken out (since they were issued a paycheck for it) would be better than simply counting on the public to tip property. I think the changers were designed to prevent Disney being from being perceived as raising the DDP price to cover the tip. Imagine the uproar if the plan had remained the same, but the price increased 20% from $38.99 to $45.99.

Many folks will still see the two available DDPs as a value and convenience, before they fully realize how much the tip actually is going to cost them...or they will simply not leave an "adequate" tip to feel they are getting their "moneys worth" from the plan.

We have never used DDP in the past, but I have to admit that the Deluxe version is intruiging. I conceed it is a great value; however, I just do not see it fitting in with the way we dine at WDW. Part of the beauty of DVC is having kitchens. We have breakfast in room every day. BTW we are DINKs. Lunch is usually TS somewhere as is dinner. Sometimes we eat 2 apps instead of an entree or a soup and a salad or whatever. We definitely love Shula's, Bluezoo, and Il Mulino and they have never been included. While the pricing is nice, I think we will pass.

Also, am I crazy, but I would never do the add-on wine package without knowing what wines are available ahead of time. That add-on is nice, but show us a list instead of plopping down $40 and not knowing our options.

Oh, brother, now that takes the cake! How does someone even think of this? Are you sure someone could even do that? Get free dining by renting a campsite for a bunch of people, and then staying off property, I mean. And someone actually came on this board and discussed it??? That is really pathetic. Well, it's just like everything in life, at work, etc, someone spoils it for the rest of us.

I might consider the 3 meals a day option - but the thought of having to get ADR's is really overwhelming for that amount of meals - it would just be nice to be hungry, drop in a TS and just eat a light meal....like we used to do prior to the DDP. I miss those days. Used to be able to walk up to LeCellier, even the Castle with Cinderella for dinner .... hummm....:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter