2008 Disneyland Half - Who's Going?

Okay, help me out with your opinion on this. I got new running shoes about a week ago. I know, bad idea, but I couldn't get them earlier because my foot was all bandaged and sore. So, I've been living in them constantly, but they really aren't broken in, and I haven't done more than 4 or 5 miles at a stretch in them. Soooo . . . do I bring the new ones (so far they've been fine) or do I gut it out with the old ones that are well past their prime? Bringing both is not an option as I am restricting each of us to one backpack or small duffel bag for the flight.

Any thoughts or advice?

Okay, help me out with your opinion on this. I got new running shoes about a week ago. I know, bad idea, but I couldn't get them earlier because my foot was all bandaged and sore. So, I've been living in them constantly, but they really aren't broken in, and I haven't done more than 4 or 5 miles at a stretch in them. Soooo . . . do I bring the new ones (so far they've been fine) or do I gut it out with the old ones that are well past their prime? Bringing both is not an option as I am restricting each of us to one backpack or small duffel bag for the flight.

Any thoughts or advice?

Personally, I wouldn't try to run 13.1 in new shoes. :confused3

We won't get there until midnight tomorrow as we have an 8 hr drive. Will post Thurs am as we head and play in the parks:)

Jeff,

Jim and I don't get in until Friday morning! The forecase is sure looking a lot better than last year's weather! I am keeping my fingers crossed!

We are looking forward to seeing old teammates and meeting new ones soon.....(you know what I mean by "old":lmao: ).

Ok, Pat, who you callin' old?!!!!! Just because my AARP card finally became ligit this year (after being sent an invite since age 35), doesn't mean I'm old. Hmm, on second thought, maybe it does. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Hey Mickey - For what it's worth, I had to get new shoes before the full this past January. They were the exact same kind I had been training in - just new. I had no problems. However, in general, it's not a good idea to do this.

mommyto3princesses said:
Missed out on the lower priced Park Hopper tickets. I didn't realize that the deadline to buy these was last Tuesday.

SIL and I are considering jumping in a cab and going to In N Out burger for a post- run Double Double.
Today 05:12 PM

I didn't realize that there was a deadline for getting those, either. In N Out burgers - Mmmmmmm. Can you bring me back one? :teeth:

Two more nights and I will be at CCI. :banana:

We won't get there until midnight tomorrow as we have an 8 hr drive. Will post Thurs am as we head and play in the parks:)

Robert, 8 hours from Sacramento? I used to make it in 5 hours from Alameda, pedal to the metal. :rolleyes1

Erica. NO to using the new shoes.

I tapered with 9 1/2 miles tonight. 9:30 pace, taking it real easy. :rotfl2:

Jeff - Thanks for the tips! Didn't even think about taking a change of shoes...and I bought the moleskin tonight! Taper...yeah right...I don't think you know the meaning of the word!

Robert - I can only hope to make it there in 8 hours! Last time we went in June, it took us over 10 hours!!! :scared1: There had been a hazardous spill on the grapevine and we got stuck! This time, I'll have DD4 and my aunt in the car. I wonder if we can beat the record of "most potty breaks along I-5!" :lmao:

Tracy - Are you packed completely now? Waiting by the door? I am just starting!

See you all there on Friday! 3 MORE DAYS!!!! :banana:

Jeff - Taper...yeah right...I don't think you know the meaning of the word!

Tracy - Are you packed completely now? Waiting by the door? I am just starting!

Michelle

I know what taper means, it's the guy who comes in after the drywall is in place, and seals the joints with tape and mud, then sands it smooth when dry. Am I right? :rotfl2:

Tracy hasn't posted today, because SHE'S ALREADY AT THE AIRPORT, WAITING AT THE GATE!!! :lmao:

Three minutes away from printing my boarding pass...

Two carry-on bags packed for me and my DS...

One more night and I'll be in Disneyland!!!!!!

See you there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Ok, I know.... I'm a bit ahead of myself.

But, Yes I am pretty much completely packed. Just waiting to load up the laptop and do my fingernails tonight.
I have to work on Thursday morning, leave around 1pm. Go do 3 miles on the way home. Shower, zip up the luggage, print out boarding pass and go!!! Will be leaving for the airport (FLL) on Thursday around 3:30 pm.

There are you all satisfied????????:lmao:

Flying Chicken Tracy

Good Morning all:)

We leave in 7 hrs:thumbsup2

Michelle: We only make bathroom breaks when we need gas. Planning only 2 the whole trip. I want to be at GC by midnight!

Here us the new emails from Disney with Final Instructions for 1/2(and a 2nd for the 5K)

Half Marathon Final Instructions

Race Day: Sunday, August 31, 2008

WELCOME
Hello! It's the final countdown to the big day. All the plans are in place to host you for a fun and memorable race experience at the Disneyland. Half Marathon! Please read through the reminders below to make sure you are prepared for race weekend.
PRE-RACE
Disneyland. Health and Fitness Expo
All registered runners are required to attend the Disneyland. Health and Fitness Expo to pick up their race number, shirt and goody bag. If you have not done so already, please click here to download and print your personalized race number pick-up/waiver form and be sure to bring it with you to packet pick-up at the Expo at the Disneyland. Hotel Exhibit Hall.

If you purchased Pasta in the Park Party ticket or VIP Spectator Seating packages, you must pick up those packages at a designated location inside the Expo. Please look for signage to direct you.

Disneyland. Health and Fitness Expo Hours
Friday, August 29
12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 30
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Official Race Merchandise
A variety of Disneyland. Half Marathon merchandise will be available for purchase on Friday and Saturday at the Health and Fitness Expo, and Sunday at the Family Reunion Area during the Half Marathon.

Transportation
Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) provides complimentary event shuttles to race participants and their guests from select hotels to all Half Marathon Weekend activities. Click here to view details including the schedule and list of hotels that will be serviced. If you are staying at one of the hotels listed, upon check-in, please ask hotel staff for up-to-date information about transportation routes and operating schedules.

Event Parking
Throughout race weekend, parking is available at the Mickey and Friends parking structure; just follow the signs for Theme Park - Parking. The fee for parking is $12.00.

RACE DAY
Weather Plan
The Half Marathon will be held rain or shine.

Heat Index
IN THE EVENT OF EXTREME HEAT, all course Medical Stops will have the appropriate flag color displayed according to the existing conditions:

YELLOW FLAG  Those runners with high risk for heat stroke should withdraw.

RED FLAG - All runners should be aware that heat injury is possible. Those susceptible to heat should be advised not to compete and all runners are urged to slow their pace and hydrate adequately.

BLACK FLAG  If a black flag condition occurs, all runners will be advised not to compete; the race will become a fun run and no times will be recorded from that point forward. If the Black Flag is warranted, we strongly urge you to slow your pace for safety reasons.

Safety Reminder
For everyones safety, no bicycles, baby joggers/strollers, skateboards, roller skates, inline skates or dogs will be allowed on the course. Headphones are discouraged due to audio messages that are placed throughout the course to ensure your safety.

Race Start
The Half Marathon is scheduled to begin at 6:00 am with a wheelchair start at 5:58 am.

Spectator Viewing
To increase the possibility of seeing your friends and family run, be aware of their pace, expected time at each mile marker and anticipated finish line. Due to space restrictions, there will be no viewing area available for the Half Marathon in the theme parks.

Course Clocks
Clocks will be located at every mile marker along the course.

Water Stops
Dasani. water and Powerade. will be available at miles 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and the Finish Line.

Nutrition Stop
Clif. Shots will be available at mile 9.2. There will also be a post-race refreshment area located just inside the Family Reunion Area providing Dasani. water, Powerade., Clif. Builder Bars, Dole. fruit cups, bagels, bananas and oranges.

Medical Support
Medical personnel will be available to give emergency care, as well as tend to non-critical injuries at mile 2.7, 6.2, 9.5, 12.5, and the main medical tents located at the finish line and Family Reunion Area. There will also be four roving medical personnel on bicycles along the route. Runners unable to finish the race may stop at one of the medical or water stations for assistance. Support vans will follow the race, picking up runners who need assistance and transporting them to the Pinocchio lot which is adjacent to the Family Reunion Area. If you require information on a runner who does not return to the race area please see the Information tent located in the Family Reunion Area.

Port o Lets
For your convenience, an ample number of port o lets will be located near the start/finish lines, Water Stops 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, Angel Stadium and the Family Reunion Area.

Pace
If you are not able to maintain a 16 minute mile, orange flags will be posted at each mile marker to indicate that you are behind the 16 minute mile pace and that you will not be able to finish the race in the 3.5 hour time limit. There will also be Half Marathon staff on bicycles to verbally announce that a flag has been raised. There will be buses available at Angel Stadium to transport you from the course to the Family Reunion Area once you fall behind this pace. Runners unable to finish the race due to injury or fatigue may stop at any of the medical or water stations for assistance. Support vans will pick up runners and transport them to the Pinocchio lot.

POST-RACE
Family Reunion Area
Your family and friends are welcome to wait and watch you cross the finish line on the big screen in the Family Reunion Area which is located in the Lilo parking lot near the finish line. There is only one entrance to this area for spectators, located near the parking tolls to Downtown Disney.. Runners will enter the Family Reunion Area after receiving their finishers medal.

Finishers Medal & Certificate
All finishers will receive a specially designed medal before exiting the finish chutes in exchange for returning the ChampionChip. Finishers Certificates will be mailed approximately 30 days after the race.

Photographers
ASI will be on the course and at the finish line taking your picture during the race. You can also look for them in the Family Reunion Area for group and family photos. Remember to smile and keep your race number in the front uncovered and in clear view. ASI will email you your photograph proofs or you can visit www.asiorders.com after the race to view your photos.

Awards Ceremony
The Awards Ceremony will begin at 10:00 a.m. in the Family Reunion Area. All award winners are requested to be present to receive their awards.

Chip Times
Chip Times will be available at the Information tent located in the Family Reunion Area.

Race Results
Results will be posted on the results boards located in front of the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney. at 2:00 pm on race day. A complete list of results will be posted online at www.disneylandhalfmarathon.com beginning Sunday evening.

PLEASE NOTE: If more than one person registered for the Disneyland. Half Marathon using the same email address, each time race information is sent via email, only one copy of the message will deliver to that address.

RUNNER RESOURCES
1.) Hotel/Travel package questions: dl.wdtc@disneyonline.com
2.) Online registration questions: support@active.com
3.) General event questions: disneylandhalf@trackshack.com

4.) Specially Priced Theme Park Tickets: Call 888-877-4445

5K Version:

5K and Kids' Races Final Instructions

Race Day: Saturday, August 30, 2008

WELCOME
HelloROBERT! It's the final countdown to the big weekend. All the plans are in place to host you on Saturday morning for a fun and memorable race experience at the Disneyland. Family Fun Run 5K, Kids' Races & Heelys. Race & Roll! Please read through the reminders below to make sure you are prepared for your race.
PRE-RACE
Disneyland. Health and Fitness Expo
All registered 5K and Kids' Races runners are required to attend the Disneyland. Health and Fitness Expo at the Disneyland. Hotel Exhibit Hall on Friday, August 29, to pick up race numbers and goody bags.

Disneyland. Health and Fitness Expo Hours
Friday, August 29
12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 30
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Official Race Merchandise
A variety of Disneyland. Half Marathon merchandise will be available for purchase on Friday and Saturday at the Health and Fitness Expo, and Sunday at the Family Reunion Area during the Half Marathon.

Transportation
Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) provides complimentary event shuttles to race participants and their guests from select hotels to the Family Fun Run 5K and Kids' Races. ART service is available every 20 minutes from 5:00 am - 12:30 am to and from participating hotels and the Disneyland. Resort East Esplanade area. Drivers will provide an ART pass valid from Aug 29 - 31. Upon arrival, please ask hotel staff for up-to-date information about transportation routes and operating schedules.

RACE DAY
Safety Reminder
For everyones safety, baby joggers/strollers, bicycles, inline skate, skateboards, headphones or animals will be prohibited on all the courses.

Event Parking
Parking for the 5K and Kids' Races will available at the Pumbaa parking lot located on Disney Way between Harbor Blvd and Anaheim Blvd. The fee for parking is $12. After parking in the Pumbaa parking lot you will head West on Disney Way and cross Harbor Blvd to the Timon parking lot located at the Disneyland. Resort. The start/finish line for the 5K is located in the Timon parking lot.

Bag Check
Check your personal belongings at the baggage tent located near the start.

Weather Plan
The Family Fun Run 5K, Kids' Races & Heelys. Race & Roll will be held rain or shine.

Race Start
The Family Fun Run 5K is scheduled to begin at 7:00 am. The 5K course takes place entirely inside Disneyland. Park and Disney's California Adventure. Park. The Kids' Races will take place inside Disney's California Adventure. Park.

Water Stops
Dasani. water will be available at miles 1.2, 2.2 and the Finish Line of the 5K course.

Refreshments
Clif. Z Bars, Dole. fruit cups, Powerade. bagels, oranges and bananas will be available at the finish line of the 5K course.

Medical Support
Medical personnel will be available to give emergency care, as well as tend to non-critical injuries at the finish line of the 5K course.

Port o Lets
For your convenience, an ample number of port o lets will be located near the start/finish lines of the 5K course.

Pace
If you are not able to maintain a 15 minute mile during the 5K, or unable to finish the race, carts will be available to transport you from the course to the finish line area.

Kids' Races & Heelys. Race & Roll Schedule
The Kids' Races will start at 8:45 am with a rolling schedule beginning with the Heelys. Race & Roll, then the 1 - 3 year old competitors, followed by the 4 - 6 year olds and finishing with the 7 - 8 year old athletes. The races will conclude with the always exciting Diaper Dash for our smallest competitors. Each group will have its own start line, which will be highlighted for all parents to easily find. Kids will be corralled in the following areas prior to the start of the races:

~ 1 - 3 years old: Pacific Wharf
~ 4 - 6 years old: Bountiful Valley Farms
~ 7 - 8 years old: Golden Vine Winery
~ 12 months & under/Heelys. Race & Roll: Golden State Amphitheatre

We will also have plenty of volunteers on hand to make sure that each of these special athletes gets to the correct starting line - be sure to listen to the Race Announcer for instructions on exactly what to do. Any parents who wish to run with their children are encouraged to do so.

Spectator Viewing
Family and friends will be able to cheer participants on at the 5K start/finish line. Due to space restrictions, there will be no viewing area available for the 5K Family Fun Run in the theme parks.

The Kids' Races & Heelys. Race & Roll will take place inside Disney's California Adventure. theme park with lots of room for family and friends to watch, so make sure to bring your camera for this special race!

Heelys. Safety Gear
All athletes competing in the Heelys. Race & Roll event are required to wear the appropriate safety gear including a helmet, wrist guards, knee pads and elbow pads. Safety gear must be provided by the participant and will be available for purchase at the Health and Fitness Expo. Disney is not responsible for providing safety gear. Participants without safety gear will not be allowed participate. No exceptions will be made. Participants without the required safety gear will be allowed to participate in Kids' Races instead.

POST-RACE
Finishers Medal
All finishers will receive a commemorative medal at the finish of their race. Kids' Race medals will be given to official Kids' Race participants only. Parents who choose to run with their kids will not receive a medal.

Photographers
ASI photographers will be located throughout the 5K course and at the 5K finish line area during and after the race to take pictures of 5K and Kids' Race participants. Remember to smile and keep your race number in the front uncovered and in clear view. ASI will email you your photograph proofs or you can visit www.asiorders.com after the race to view your photos.

RUNNER RESOURCES
1.) Hotel/Travel package questions: dl.wdtc@disneyonline.com
2.) Online registration questions: support@active.com
3.) General event questions: disneylandhalf@trackshack.com
4.) Specially Priced Theme Park Tickets: Call 888-877-4445

2 days and counting for me!!! I just started to throw stuff into my carry on and I have one more short run on Thursday....then I'm off to the happiest place on earth!!!

See everyone soon!

Robert - Last year we walked out the front entrance and turned left on the sidewalk. Followed that down to the next main road and made another left. The parking lot where the 5k started was on the left. We just followed other runners ;) It was easy. That is, if the 5k start is in the same area as last year was. Have a safe drive!

My plane should be landing in LAX in 48 hours!!

Becky

Ooh Becky you beat us again, ours doesn't land at LAX for like 58 hours... Although I'm famous for showing up to these things at the last minute... Remember be driving down in the middle of the night Sat morning to watch Cheryl run the 07 WDW half and running the full the next day?!?

Question for anyone(Jeff):

What is the best way to get from GC to the start of the 5K???

I would walk through the GC lobby, and exit to Downtown Disney. Turn right like you're going to the parks entrances. Then continue towards Harbor Blvd. Turn right at the 15 minute short term parking lot, and head to the Timon Parking lot.

The GC and the Timon parking lot are on opposite corners bordering the California Adventure park. Should be a 10 minute walk from the GC.

Lexxiefern's directions could be just as simple. But that direction includes the short "hill" that starts the half marathon course. My directions it's completely flat.:rotfl2:

http://www.fishbowl.com/clt/buca/pc/200809/1/lbrdy.htm

For anyone dining at Bucca Di Beppo's before Monday, here's a $10 off coupon for purchase of $30 or more.

Mmmmm, that's where we are carb loading on Saturday night in Garden Grove (down the road on Harbor Blvd.). Look for a rowdy group of eight, making noise and having a fun time.

See you all there at the EXPO, WISH meets, in the parks, and out on the race courses.

I have a question! When I filled out the registration and it asked if you are going to walk the race I put no because my plan was to run more than walk. However, due to injury I am actually going to be walking with a tiny amount of running to keep above pace. My bib # is in the 6000's which from what I have read has me starting at 6:10. I am wondering if I should go back to the corrals starting at 6:20 or stay where I am at? What are the benefits of starting earlier? I don't want to be all by my lonesome having been left in the dust:rotfl: I am looking at doing a 15min pace.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Michelle:
I put down I was a walker, gave them my time from the Miami ING Half and I was placed in the 2nd corral. I am planning on staying there. I figure I will at least finish earlier than starting at 6:20am. I will hang to the back and to the right to let people pass me. I'm ok with people passing me, I have always been a walker but hoping to do better than a 15min pace.

Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter