2014 Epcot Food and Wine Festival 9/19-11/10

The only thing that makes any sense at all is if they are using this to keep from running out of some draft beers before the end of the festival (they always run out of some, and the festival is a week longer this year.) However, they could have just ordered enough beer to make up for this if they know which ones are going to be popular.

If this rumor does become true, I look at it as a pure money play by Disney. Watch the price point of the 6 oz pours ... Let's say the plan was for $3.75 6oz and $7 12oz ... most would go for the slightly cheaper by volume 12oz. I could see Disney now charge an even higher $4.50 for the 6oz and since there is no other choice you're basically at $9 vs $7 for 12oz of beer.

If this rumor does become true, I look at it as a pure money play by Disney. Watch the price point of the 6 oz pours ... Let's say the plan was for $3.75 6oz and $7 12oz ... most would go for the slightly cheaper by volume 12oz. I could see Disney now charge an even higher $4.50 for the 6oz and since there is no other choice you're basically at $9 vs $7 for 12oz of beer.

Isn't everything Disney a money play? Once they start making record breaking profits each quarter, that's all they think about.

:earsboy: Bill

Isn't everything Disney a money play? Once they start making record breaking profits each quarter, that's all they think about.

:earsboy: Bill

Yup ... just with some rumblings that such a decision would be made to curb intoxication ... nah, it's about the $$$. Festival goes will still drink just as much as ever, Disney will just bring in a little more profit.

Yup. For profit entities are interested in making profits. Nothing wrong with that. If it also cuts down on the drunken groups we come across at F&W, bonus IMHO.

Yup. For profit entities are interested in making profits. Nothing wrong with that. If it also cuts down on the drunken groups we come across at F&W, bonus IMHO.

It won't cut down on the drunken groups. There will be plenty of places to buy a full portion of beer and from the booths they will just purchase multiple 6 oz portions, or beer flights. Flights will be 24 oz instead of the largest single beer portion, which was 22 oz. The only difference will be that they will be paying more for the beer. OR...they will switch to liquor, plenty of that around.

It won't cut down on the drunken groups. There will be plenty of places to buy a full portion of beer and from the booths they will just purchase multiple 6 oz portions, or beer flights. Flights will be 24 oz instead of the largest single beer portion, which was 22 oz. The only difference will be that they will be paying more for the beer.

The initial "rumor" was that it would affect all beer sales. If not, then I also doubt there would be an effect on those groups. It's a market like any other... It'll bear what people are willing to pay. If it's "too much" such that UNITS SOLD x PRICE goes down, they'll change it. Yup. Business.

there is no way on this earth that they are going to cut down every beer sold in Epcot to 6 ounces. That one has to be wrong. I'm willing to buy it if it's just the booths (and B&E did post an update to say it was just the booths), but if it's supposed to be in order to cut down on consumption a la Bloomberg and the Coke bottles that will not happen.

there is no way on this earth that they are going to cut down every beer sold in Epcot to 6 ounces. That one has to be wrong. I'm willing to buy it if it's just the booths, but if it's supposed to be in order to cut down on consumption that will not happen.

Agreed. It's why I paid so little attention to initial rumors. ;)

Hello everybody! This will be our first year at the Food & Wine festival. We will only be able to go for one day. Does anyone have any advice for which days have the lowest crowds. We plan to be there in the morning. I am thinking about a Monday near the beginning of the festival.

Hello everybody! This will be our first year at the Food & Wine festival. We will only be able to go for one day. Does anyone have any advice for which days have the lowest crowds. We plan to be there in the morning. I am thinking about a Monday near the beginning of the festival.
When you say you plan to be there "in the morning", if you really mean you will be leaving Epcot by noon that doesn't give you much time. If I remember correctly, the booths don't open until 11am.

If you mean you plan to get to Epcot sometime in the morning and stay for the day then I would plan to be in the World Showcase by 11am ready to hit your first booth right when they open. You can "do lunch" by hitting a few booths, then walk around a bit to see what else you might like to sample and hit a few more booths later in the afternoon.

I would also study what is available at each booth so you can plan ahead and visit the booths that seem most appealing to you. The portions are small but if you split things so that you each get a taste you will be able to sample more things. Going on a Monday will be fine provided it's not a holiday, and even then crowds are generally not bad during the day.

Anyone know of some quality coffee at the Fest? Hubby loves good coffee, and I'm so excited about the pressed pot at Kona, but where's some awesome java at Epcot? Thanks:)

Anyone know of some quality coffee at the Fest? Hubby loves good coffee, and I'm so excited about the pressed pot at Kona, but where's some awesome java at Epcot? Thanks:)

I see you're from Washington. Does Starbucks count?! :rotfl: There's one in Future World, right by the Fountain of Nations. :thumbsup2

There are also a couple of booths -- one is near the gold-domed building that will house the Festival Center (deminars, book signings, etc.); another by U.K. -- that have decent coffee; certainly much better than what's normally offered around Epcot! ;)

.....my return flight was canceled so United Airlines put us on an earlier one (without our consultation) so I called them directly [I originally booked through Expedia] to ask about a later flight....we are now leaving 3 hours later...too bad it isn't even later than that - I would have liked to have tried to get a Sunday brunch ADR in France [?] :confused3 ....no matter, I could always book an ADR for buffet breakfast at Boma! :thumbsup2

I'm so excited to be able to participate this year! DM and I got reservations for the Parisian Breakfast and I am ecstatic! PITCHERS OF MIMOSAS?! Yes, please!:woohoo:

We're hoping there will be a "soft opening" on the 18th so we can get some treats on our first night, which is the night we've planned to spend at Epcot!

I'm so excited to be able to participate this year! DM and I got reservations for the Parisian Breakfast and I am ecstatic! PITCHERS OF MIMOSAS?! Yes, please!:woohoo: We're hoping there will be a "soft opening" on the 18th so we can get some treats on our first night, which is the night we've planned to spend at Epcot!

The last three years I have gone there has been a soft opening with NO ONE there it was awesome!!! then the first night was insane last year, they extended the park hours thats how crazy it got, you could not even move!

WE are there for the 18th this year and really hoping for the soft open as well, so we can have all the things we want to try for lunch and dinner and then head back on opening day at 11am for whatever we just cant live without having again, no dinner time for us, it just becomes to overwhelming!

2 months today we will be there, have about $150 on my rewards card that will last about an hour so better put my credit card on my magic band. Can't wait, bring on the beer flights and food. :cool1::hippie:

O yes want to add no dining plan this year just want to hit the F & WF with an empty stomach and also only going during the week, Saturdays are just to crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter