4/29/06 Eastern Magic...We're Going!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, I have to say that it just won't be the same. The last night of the cruise, when you and Pango were out on the verandah smokin' those stoogies, the Pirate was one happy man. He even took a picture of the stoogie butts in the ashtray. I can't believe how the prices have gone up! Man, they gotta pay for those new ships, huh?

We are booked on the May 3, 2008 and we are delighted that Trish will be there too! Way Cool!!! For a moment, we thought we were gonna be all alone drinking that case of wine!

So, Trish, if you guys decide to switch to October (CG - what are the dates? I couldn't find a 7-night double dip in Oct 2008), then we will switch too.

Suzie and Ed? How now brown cow? LisaD? Barb? April? Julie? Summer? Michelle? Pat? Patty? SteveMed? Bueller? Bueller?

The Roses
pirate: :surfweb:

Sue i gotta tell you that me and the big feller (Pango) have been outside smokin cigars back in Michigan and have both commented numerous times about hanging out with Jon on the balcony and how great that was. It is times like that that i won't ever forget, or being President of the SteveMed fan club, the hammock dash, 1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent a dollar, and what about my man Hollywood. Good Times, Good Times, we will definately miss all, but tell the Pirate that we talk about him often.

Tompirate:

I can't believe how the prices have gone up! Man, they gotta pay for those new ships, huh?

The reason the May 3 prices are more is because it is the last cruise before the Magic heads to California. Eveyone who wanted to cruise that summer was waiting for the new dates to come out, and when they did, they found out there was only one week to pick from because the ship would be gone.

So, Trish, if you guys decide to switch to October (CG - what are the dates? I couldn't find a 7-night double dip in Oct 2008), then we will switch too.

The October 25 cruise is under the "Special Caribbean Cruises" section. It is a 7-night Caribbean Cruise to Costa Maya & Cozumel with two stops at Castaway Cay. The prices are quite a bit lower than the May 3 cruise and what fun it would be to spend Halloween on the ship!

What about the weather? I know the ship can divert if necessary, but does anyone have experience with this type of situation or cruising this time of year? I'm TOTALLY game for October 2008, PAHW, but just wondering about that one eensy-weensy issue.

Anyone want to consider reconsidering their reconsideration of cruising since prices will be so much lower and such awesome people will be on board...? hmm...? (pretty please?)

One more thing...the CMs on board usually go in 6-month stints, and I'm guessing that going in October will give us a completely different set of CMs. I know they wouldn't all be the same anyway, but I bet there are some who keep coming back, like maybe Hollywood, his co-host Michael, my man Kadir, and our server William--I'll miss not seeing them!

One more thing...the CMs on board usually go in 6-month stints, and I'm guessing that going in October will give us a completely different set of CMs. I know they wouldn't all be the same anyway, but I bet there are some who keep coming back, like maybe Hollywood, his co-host Michael, my man Kadir, and our server William--I'll miss not seeing them!

When I was at MouseFest in December, I met someone who does the scheduling for the cruise staff. She was saying that depending on what job they had, they worked different scheduled on/off time. She was saying it's very hard if one spouse is in housekeeping for example and the otherworks in a different department. Some departments only work on the ship for 2 months at a time she told me.

Oh, I didn't think of that. Of course there would be couples working on the ship together. When I talked to William about it, he was 'on 6/off 6' with family back home in India. He was a server but was bussing on deck one morning too. Can you imagine trying coordinate departments and schedules for a staff that huge?? It will be awesome regardless--there are so many great CMs. :goodvibes

I've tried to imagine cruising with just my family. It would be wonderful, but it's hard to imagine NOT seeing friends around every corner. :grouphug:

Suzie and I were talking yesterday about the possibility of a Disneyland meet, maybe this August or just after Christmas. I know they are busy times to go, but it's the only time I can travel right now with 2 in high school and one in jr. high. Nothing definate of course, just something we were tossing around. I can't travel during my actual anniversary, but I could share the celebration with all of my cruise friends! I know this doesn't help the cruise question, but it is a chance for us to get together this year. :grouphug:

Hey, everyone! Sitting in the middle of a Nor'Easter right now - and two days ago it was 80 degrees.

I don't know about the October 2008 - we will still have the "two kids in school" thing to contend with - but somehow it always seems easier to catch them up in the fall rather than Spring. Trish, I can tell you one thing - although the two cruises we took in October were just on the Wonder to the Bahamas, that boat did not rock and roll neeeeearly as much as our Magic cruise did! From what I understand you can get rough seas anytime, and they do divert the ship if need be (my neighbor was on a Western-turned-Eastern last August).

It would be great to see and hang out with as many of you as possible! While I don't have an extra $1000 laying around right now to deposit with WDW, I'm not ruling it totally out either. We have so many great memories - I still have my photo album on my dining room table and the boys and I are always looking at it and remembering how much fun we had!

Hey guys! :wave:

I had no idea I had started a cruise trend here! Gotta stop working so much and start DIS'ing more! And, yeah, Barb, thanks, things are great - it's a whole new world being right at home and being able to go home for lunch or see the kids or take them to the docs when need be and not waste a whole day on it. I am LOVING it! It's a lot of work, but it's cool.

Plus, I was able to start this adventure boot camp for women in the mornings and I feel great. I never had time like this before to work out in the morning.

So, we were also struggling with the whole price thing - I was absolutely floored by the prices in May and April. We were looking at a very whopping bill. There was no freagin way! So, I looked into the double dips and this cruise on October 25th works out to be almost the same price as I had for a cruise just placemarked in 2007 and my daughter was older and cost more - so this is a good deal for this cruise. Plus, two Castaway Cay stops :woohoo: ROCKIN! I really like the itinerary - we always do the Eastern and we have never done the Mexican Riveria.

We were also struggling with the kid in school issue - and the school we chose for him is really vehement about not pulling them out. But, when it all came down to it, the additional cost of a cruise during a school vacation time was as much as his whole year of tuition. I decided, to hell with it, and we chose a time that seemed to work OK in the school calendar. For those on quarters, it may be the end of the 1st quarter so keep that in mind. I decided that my son will be in 1st grade and how many tests could he possibly have? The other thought process was any parties that occur around Halloween - again, I said, to hell with it - this is the best party ever! But, that being said, there usually are a lot of parties in school and out so the work load may be lighter in school during this time also. Who the heck knows!?

The November cruise is over Thanksgiving so that was way high price, and the December one is over Christmas, so again, no way.

Look for the cruise under special cruises - it's the cruise to Costa Maya.

Weather: Now remember that it is rare for there to be a hurricane that hits the Mexican Riveria. Hurricane Wilma did hit this area in October of 2005. But rare shmare, here is the true history of hits on Cozumel (note that between 1995 and 2005 there were no hits):

How often this area gets affected?
brushed or hit every 2.83 years

Average years between direct hurricane hits.(usually within 40 miles to include small hurricanes)
(18h)once every 7.56 years

Statistically when this area should be affected next
before the end of the 2008 season

Last affected by
Oct 21st,2005 Hurricane Wilma passes over the Island. Extensive damage to nearly the entire island.At this time Wilma had winds of 140mph & was moving very slowly at less than 5mph.Hurricane force winds pounded the island for over 24hrs.

This areas hurricane past
1873 oct 1st a hurricane from the east with 90mph winds move just NE of here turning north
1877 80mph just east while turning north sept 29th
1880 aug 9th a hurricane from the ESE hits just south
1903 a cat 2 hits in august
1912 a cat 2 hits in october
1913 a cat 2 hits in june
1933 a cat 2 hits in sept
1938 a cat 2 hits in august
1944 a cat 1 hits
1951 hurricane Charlie hits with 125mph winds in august
1967 Beulah hits as a cat 2
1988 during hurricane Gilbert 52 were killed towns were destroyed by a 17ft storm surge,175mph ruins only had minor damage. Satelite photo
1995 hurricane Roxanne hits with 115mph winds press 28.29
2005 July 17th & 18th Hurricane Emily hits as a cat 4,although surface winds were much less. Sporadic damage to buildings in & around Cozumel,Mexico. Damage shot from Playa del carmen on mainland #1 | #2 | #3 | Animated radar at landfall
2005,Oct 21st, Hurricane Wilma passes over the Island while moving slowly NNW. Extensive damage to nearly the entire island.At this time Wilma had winds of 140mph & was moving very slowly at less than 5mph.Hurricane force winds pounded the island for over 24hrs. As of early 2006 many hotels are still shut down & the cruise ships docks have been destroyed.Satellite image of Wilma as a cat 5 before landfall, strongest ever in the Atlantic basin as of 2005.

Now Costa Maya has an even rarer occurrence of Hurricane hits, here is some general weather info:

When is the rainy season?
The rainy season is from June to October. "Rainy" is relative, because it will rain really hard dumping a lot of rain and then get sunny. Seldom does it rain for days since most of the rain is either from thunderstorms or related to tropical storms. Tropical storms usually last a day or two, but this occurs during hurricane season which usually begins mid July.
What is the best time to visit the Costa Maya?
We get asked this all the time. I have finally decided that it requires a chart with all the variables of the weather as well as some other monthly highlights. The truth is that any month is good depending on what you want out of a vacation. (Average rainfall and temperature is taken from www.worldclimate.com)
MonthAverage Rainfall Average 24 HR Temp.CommentsJan.2.1"75 F High season. The first week in January seems to have a little bit of a "lull" in terms of the number of travelers. The weather can be cold enough to warrant a jacket at night. If you like birds, green parrots are starting to show up as well as some other migrating birds. Feb.1.7"76 F February can have some cool winds. The water can feel quite cool as the wind blows across the surface making it hard to snorkel or swim for long periods of time. A wet suit helps. (Cool is relative, but bring a jacket for evenings). Migrating birds make February one of the best "birding" months. Mar.0.8"79 F Normally a great weather month with comfortable temperatures and little rain, but can be breezy. The downside is that there are a lot of people vacationing at this time, including those on spring break. It is good to make reservations far in advance. Apr.1.0 " 82 F Can be breezy affecting water activities, however not every day. This, on the other hand makes for great visits to the ruins and few mosquitoes due to the dry conditions. May3.6"83Great month for water activities with fairly calm water. The days are quite hot, but the humidity is fairly low making nights comfortable for sleeping. Few mosquitoes.June5.5"82Water can be like glass making for great water activities. The humidity is usually fairly low early in the month but starts to raise in the later part of the month. Travel with insect repellent if you plan on venturing off the beach.July4.0"82July can be quite humid. If you are from anywhere on the east coast you can understand. However, it may be the best month for water activities with the water like glass. Later in the month there is a chance of tropical storms. Travel with insect relent if you plan on venturing off the beach. Biting Flies (similar to deer flies) can be a problem in the day - use insect repellent.Aug.4.3"82August can be humid, but again the water can be like glass so it is great for water activities. Hurricane season is in full swing, but the Costa Maya does not have a history of high hurricane damage. Travel with insect relent if you plan on venturing off the beach. Biting Flies (similar to deer flies) can be a problem in the day - use insect repellent.Sep.6.7"82Fairly pleasant but the rainiest month due to the fact that it is late in the tropical storm season. The rains are usually brief but heavy. This is one of the slowest times of the year, so you may find yourself alone on the beach! Travel with insect relent if you plan on venturing off the beach.Oct.4.5"80Very pleasant weather and very slow! Many hotels close because it is so slow. If there has been a lot of rain in August and September there may be lots of mosquitoes at dawn and dusk. There is still a chance of some significant rain in Oct. Nov.2.1"76Great weather month. Can be some cloudy and cool days, but usually the water conditions can be good. Few crowds. Bring lightweight jackets. Dec.1.9"76Sporadic weather. It can be cool or warm, windy or only slightly breezy. Bring jackets and long pants for cool breezy nights on the beach. Usually lots of sun even if it is cool.

The biggest issue I am worried about is mosquitos. You can not give blood for one year after visiting this part of Mexico. There is a high malaria rate here. Bring bug spray!

This is still hurricane season, but hopefully, not a strong season. We just won't know.

Here is the Wikipedea info on Costa Maya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Maya

technical difficulties.

By the way, no where in that long post did I say what I really meant, which was,

IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF EVERYONE WANTED TO HEAD ON OUT ON THIS CRUISE TOO!

It looks like such a great beach and fun itinerary!

TT - Hey tough guy! Tell your beautiful bride that it's really her we will miss!

STEVE - How's it hangin' down there in Rhodie?

Suzie - she looks just like her papa! She is really beautiful (regardless)!

castlegazer said:
IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF EVERYONE WANTED TO HEAD ON OUT ON THIS CRUISE TOO!

OK! We're in!
The Pirate just changed our cruise to this one!
October 25, 2008, DOUBLE DIP to Castaway Cay!! :cool1:
And I think Trish is in!

C'mon! It will be FUN!!!

The PAHW

Hi everyone!

So sorry I have been AWOL.

I have been thinking about everyone and our awesome cruise - hard to believe it was a year ago.

I am so happy for those of you that are working on the next cruise! I just don't think that there is any way we can do it. My DS will be in high school next year and we can't take him out of school. This really stinks because the only breaks they get are during the most expensive times to travel - Christmas, Easter week and summer. Also, my husband is holding firm to his vow not to cruise again after our rocky experience on the Magic. I sent up a trial balloon when I read about the October cruise - but he said we would be going without him. HMMM... so if I leave DH and DS home the cruise would be really cheap wouldn't it! just kidding.

CG - now that my kid's are older I am sooo glad that I took them out of school for vacations when they were younger. Trust me, there is no reason not to take them out during first grade - it is easily made up. In fact I really would have no qualms about taking my daughter out of school and she is in 4th grade.

We are going to NYC next week and then to WDW in July - is anyone else going to WDW soon?

Julie

Julie-- so nice to 'see' you again! I've been talking with Mike about whether or not to take him & Emma on this cruise. It's currently booked for just DH & I. Mike & Emma want to go and I was saying, 'maybe Kyle & Jessica will be able to come'. We'll have the same problem, though, since Mike will be a freshman, wants to play football, and will likely be doing soccer at that time as well. I keep telling myself, it's only 1 week, but I just don't know yet.

Too bad Ken had such a crummy time with the rocking & rolling! He'd have TWO opportunities to dress up in that fabulous snorkel gear on Castaway Cay!

No WDW trips in our future...unless we tack on something to the cruise...hmm...

Enjoy your trip to NYC!!

As, the PAHW said, we're in on the October 2008 for sure. That's one big hospitality suite verandah... :)

:cool1: :goodvibes AWESOME!

:wave: Thanks Julie - so nice to see you here also. I am AWOL for long stints now also. I know, it's not like we will be able to do this much longer. It will get harder and harder each year to pull them out of school. 1st grade certainly can't be that big of a deal. It has to be 1st grade for him because I don't want to cruise while my daughter is any younger than 3.

I am just shocked at how much money, even right off the bat, the cruises during vacation weeks are. I can't see spending that much on a one week disposable thing for quite some time. I want something tangible if I am going to shell out that much money.

All right - gotta go. I have a tough week. Plus we are in the final stages of getting ready to put an offer on a house - that would be a tangible item.

Here's a little bit of a weird thing....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1343332&referrerid=&highlight=25,+2008

I am intimidated to join in. I already know I like you guys. There are so many posts already and so many people......popular cruises apparently.

How do we handle this? Join in....stay here.....It's got a ton of people going - which makes parties a bit scrunchy......I don't think I am going to be a daily poster for these people like I was for you guys. Just don't have it in me anymore. I am going to check in, though. Just to put it on my radar.

What do you guys want to do?

after a short purusal - I'm all for at least keeping this thread going. I don't have it in me anymore to pay attention again - especially with such a large group. :guilty: Sad, so sad, that I just can't stay on top of a thread daily anymore in this job.

Really, really wish I could be coming along too! Doesn't look good for us but I'm not totally giving up hope yet.

... after a short purusal - I'm all for at least keeping this thread going. I don't have it in me anymore to pay attention again - especially with such a large group. :guilty: Sad, so sad, that I just can't stay on top of a thread daily anymore in this job.
Us too. I might lurk on the other group as it gets closer, but I'd like to keep this thread open in the hopes that some of you will come to your senses and join us! C'mon, it will be fun! It's the official Halloween Cruise of the SteveMed Fan Club!

Besides, seeing the Pirate's halloween costume is well worth the price of admission!

The Roses

Echo...echo...echo.....

Hello?.....
anyone out there????
Please??????

Miss you guys! Tell us what's going on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter