$7.00 missing from room left on counter

I've seen posts but it's been years. It's been nearly 6 years since Vegas. And as I said consistently hearing, we're not consistently hearing about people from hotels like Hilton who did announce they would do security checks and yes that was on this Board that people were talking about it. To date Disney is the only one out there still doing it like they are.
Vegas hotels still do it, they're just not as front-and-center about it. They just want to make sure some staff member has seen the inside of the hotel room some time in the last, like, 48 hours (the interval varies by hotel). A few weeks ago I was staying at the Wynn and for whatever reason the housekeeping visits kept overlapping with our rest time. After we missed housekeeping, turndown service, and minibar service they finally asked to do a room inspection on the second day. Apparently, even if we had just ordered room service that would have been enough to avoid the extra visit.

Last edited:
Vegas hotels still do it, they're just not as front-and-center about it. They just want to make sure some staff member has seen the inside of the hotel room some time in the last, like, 48 hours. A few weeks ago I was staying at the Wynn and for whatever reason the housekeeping visits kept overlapping with our rest time. After we missed housekeeping, turndown service, and minibar service they finally asked to do a room inspection. Apparently, even if we had just ordered room service that would have been enough to avoid the extra visit.
I'm telling ya it hasn't happened to us. But I'm not trying to say they never ever do it, I'm saying a strict 24 hours or 48 hours or like how Disney is doing it. When it first came out places would be like "if you have it up for 24 hours or more we will do it" some were 48 hours but that was all short-lived.

Of all the various hotels we've stayed at in Vegas over the years since Mandalay Bay it has never been like what people describe as what has happened to them at Disney. So when people say "it's because of the shooting.." yes perhaps initially but Vegas hotels stopped shortly there after doing strict checks.

And in terms of trafficking Vegas is a hot spot for it, and many signs in the bathroom will give you that information too.

As I stated we had our Privacy indicator at Encore for more than 48 hours and had nothing (we checked into our room about 11:30am on the 4th and had it up til about 12:30pm as we got a late check out on the 6th), we were in and out of our room every couple of hours sometimes less. What turndown service are you talking about? We've never had turn down service at Wynn nor Encore. It's just housekeeping to make the bed, replace the towels and toiletries as needed.

I'm not saying I have an issue with Disney doing whatever, I'm saying they are doing it distinctively different than other hotel brands in a much more obtrusive way. So when a poster asked what would happen if they were in the shower..yes well you stand a much higher chance of that occurring to you at Disney than you do the various hotel brands out there. That isn't to say it's wrong nor right just that the odds are more in that favor.

I'm telling ya it hasn't happened to us. But I'm not trying to say they never ever do it, I'm saying a strict 24 hours or 48 hours or like how Disney is doing it. When it first came out places would be like "if you have it up for 24 hours or more we will do it" some were 48 hours but that was all short-lived.
It literally just happened to us, so it's obviously still happening. But I do agree with you that no one else is doing it on a fixed 24 hour period with no flexibility. It's basically just a wellness check once DND has been on for some period they determine to be concerning.

What turndown service are you talking about? We've never had turn down service at Wynn nor Encore. It's just housekeeping to make the bed, replace the towels and toiletries as needed.
We stay in Tower Suites at Wynn. Twice daily housekeeping is a standard benefit. (I said turndown, but it's really a full second housekeeping service.)

We stay in Tower Suites at Wynn. Twice daily housekeeping is a standard benefit. (I said turndown, but it's really a full second housekeeping service.)
God, I love those Wynn/Encore Tower Suites. That's my Gold Standard when it comes to large resort hotels.

It's basically just a wellness check once DND has been on for some period they determine to be concerning.
That's what I've been saying, Disney does theirs in such as way that is way different than others. It's no wonder you hear so many complaints about it and you hear about people who have no clue what it was going to be like. I don't care if a policy is we wish to check periodically, but I would have an issue if I'm having knocking incessantly then an unlocking of a door and someone coming in (which has been mentioned more than a handful of times) or constant back and forth trying to arrange a check (which defeats IMO the purpose of checking to arrange a time but that's JMO)

It literally just happened to us, so it's obviously still happening.
Never said it wasn't but I did point out that the origination of today's iteration of Disney's check no longer do them like they did right after it occurred. The hotels that announced they would do it fizzled out shortly thereafter of doing them. So when I talk about all our stays in Vegas it's more to say that the actual ground zero for the incident isn't doing it like Disney and if it was to find guns lying around and drug stuff (because even with it legal in Vegas it is not supposed to have weed smoked in hotels although we all know how that goes) they are not doing the checks like Disney. So pointing to Vegas when the stuff isn't even occurring there is what I was responding to initially. Disney is doing what Disney is doing, it's just we the public can't really pinpoint why they are doing it with the same conviction as we used to be able to say when it was 2017 and 2018.

Of all the various hotels we've stayed at in Vegas over the years since Mandalay Bay it has never been like what people describe as what has happened to them at Disney. So when people say "it's because of the shooting.." yes perhaps initially but Vegas hotels stopped shortly there after doing strict checks.

And in terms of trafficking Vegas is a hot spot for it, and many signs in the bathroom will give you that information too.

As I stated we had our Privacy indicator at Encore for more than 48 hours and had nothing (we checked into our room about 11:30am on the 4th and had it up til about 12:30pm as we got a late check out on the 6th), we were in and out of our room every couple of hours sometimes less. What turndown service are you talking about? We've never had turn down service at Wynn nor Encore. It's just housekeeping to make the bed, replace the towels and toiletries as needed.

I'm not saying I have an issue with Disney doing whatever, I'm saying they are doing it distinctively different than other hotel brands in a much more obtrusive way. So when a poster asked what would happen if they were in the shower..yes well you stand a much higher chance of that occurring to you at Disney than you do the various hotel brands out there. That isn't to say it's wrong nor right just that the odds are more in that favor.
So - this was interesting: https://press.wynnlasvegas.com/pres...rogram/s/5154e4ad-a5c3-4db1-9a6b-56c0536a8358

I wonder if some of the difference is about whether or not these are installed (I can't imagine this happening at WDW resorts and apparently there were some previous threads discussing it).

I consider anyone who has to work at those unlivable wages, and has to clean my toiled to boot, is absolutely tip-worthy, regardless of the quality of the work.
If they don't come in and clean then how is that tip worthy? It's like the self-service yogurt places that ask for tips...sorry but no.

Children's clothes/toys/etc lying about in a room with only adults registered is one thing could indicate trafficking. There are plenty of long threads about this policy that have plenty more information. And law enforcement/security is unlikely to explain everything they are trained to look for. That would defeat the purpose of the room check.
So you think children are being trafficked at WDW...

Actually, it’s not a Do Not Disturb sign. Disney very purposefully changed it to a Room Occupied sign years ago. If it’s for the daily security check, they can & will come in, even if that sign is on the door. They will knock or try to time it to when the sign is off. But if they haven’t been able to get in before, they will enter even if the sign is out.
I never knew that.what if I’m in the room sleeping?

For those that are concerned with staff just barging in you can get a door lock for like $10 for when you are in the room.

search "hotel door locks for travelers" on amazon

If they don't come in and clean then how is that tip worthy? It's like the self-service yogurt places that ask for tips...sorry but no.
If they're there to take the tip, they're working. And tip-worthy. Yes, just for showing up. Full stop.

I never knew that.what if I’m in the room sleeping?

They might still knock. Personally, I get up & answer the door. They might offer to come back later, or I’ll just ask for some towels & the trash to be taken & they do that & are done in 2 minutes.

Housekeepers aren’t looking to bother sleeping or showering guests. In my experience, they try not to bother you if the room occupied sign is out. But at some point in the day, they will need to knock on the door. If housekeeping isn’t able to get in the room because the sign is out, or whatever reason, that will trigger the Security/ Room Check. That person will enter the room even if the sign is out. I’ve had housekeeping supervisor call the room, say the sign is out & ask if they could come do the room. We stay at deluxe resorts & I really think they make an effort to work with guests.

Just passing housekeepers in the hall, I’ve noted how they enter rooms. I’ve seen them knock & announce “housekeeping” twice before they use their key to open the door. If you’re in the room or shower, use the door latch. The housekeepers won’t be able to fully open the door. I’m sure there is a way for security to open the door anyway, but that will take a bit to happen. And all that could be avoided by just answering the door & letting the quick security check happen. If someone in your party isn’t in the room, it might not be possible to use the latch, but if you can, that’s the best thing to do to avoid being walked in on.

I really think it’s the guest who leaves the room occupied sign out all the time that’s likely to be disturbed. If you take the sign down while you’re out & housekeeping gets done then, no one will bother you when you’re having your afternoon nap.

I can't even imagine calling in a hotel manager over hotel staff taking a $7 tip that you left out. I'm not even sure what resolution OP wanted. You wanted the $7 back???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter