ABD Grand European Tour June 2023…need all the tips

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
This is not only our first ABD tour but also our first trip to Europe.

Please share all your tips, tricks, do’s and don’t’s. What should we be sure to take and what should we not bother with?

I’ve purchased the following so far:

Compact umbrellas
Money belt (for waist to wear around neck)
Individual personal toilet wipes
Sink laundry detergent sheets
Individual hand soap sheets

Please share all your tips, tricks, do’s and don’t’s. What should we be sure to take and what should we not bother with?

Compact umbrellas
Outlet Plug adapters and, depending on your various devices, voltage converters. Many hotels are older and might not have USB ports.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are money pouches specifically made to wear around your neck. A money belt that is obvious is not really going to help you. It's not like wearing a fanny pack like a cross-body bag unless it lies complete flat under your clothes and doesn't show in your neckline.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Coversafe-Anti-Theft-Secret-Orchid/dp/B017BPNCSS

I have the second one, and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Coversafe-Anti-Theft-Secret-Orchid/dp/B017BPNH1A

But maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

Sayhello

Compact umbrellas

( A ) Try not to look like an American Tourist ....... try to blend in ....avoid any Political slogans

( B ) Europe has 2 PIN ROUND Plugs ( U.K.... HAS 3 Flat pins )

( C ) MORE & More shops are using Smart Phones for accepting Payment

USE a Chip & Pin Card at ATM Or At Shops

Cash is Still accepted

( A ) Try not to look like an American Tourist ....... try to blend in ....avoid any Political slogans
I chuckle at this advice. You're traveling with a group of ~20-30, carrying cameras, lead by a guide. Everybody will know you are a tourist.

Full disclosure, I travel almost exclusively carryon only, even for 2-3 wk trips to Europe.

Travel as light as you can. European hotel rooms tend to be smaller. Even with ABD shlepping your bags for you, you won't have a lot of space to put stuff.
Consider AirTags for any checked luggage.
In your carryon, bring a spare change of clothes, all meds you need, and any other item you can't live without or replace easily.

Things I always travel with:
compression packing cubes
multi-country adaptor with USB ports
a small tray to keep next to the bed for glasses, chapstick, earrings, etc - it packs flat and snaps on the corners
small bars of soap (Europe has gone to liquid soap in the shower, not my thing)
laundry soap sheets (just learned the trick of bringing a dry bag to wash in, instead of the sink)
pashmina scarf - works as a blanket on the plane, scarf, head cover for churches, hood in the rain
my cross body Pac-safe bright orange purse
water bottle
a few zip lock baggies (small and large), garbage bag, plastic grocery bags
baby wipes, travel size kleenex
comfortable shoes - way more important than those cute little flats for a long day of touring
photocopy of my passport
a small backpack to carry umbrella, water bottle, snacks, small purchases, my kindle for the bus ride, hat

I wear my cross-body purse, zipper to the inside (and locked depending on the location) and my backpack. I totally look like a tourist, but that way my valuables are safe and I can carry the other stuff.

Bring clothes you can mix and match. My travel wardrobe is different than my daily wardrobe. It's mostly technical fabrics, dark pants and dark solid color shirts. They don't show dirt as much, don't wrinkle, and dry quickly if hand washed.

You just won't need much cash, especially since you won't be arranging your own tours. Money belts/neck bags are nice, but you won't need to put much in them. Any cash you need, you can stop by an ATM which are almost more ubiquitous than in the US.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are money pouches specifically made to wear around your neck. A money belt that is obvious is not really going to help you. It's not like wearing a fanny pack like a cross-body bag unless it lies complete flat under your clothes and doesn't show in your neckline.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Coversafe-Anti-Theft-Secret-Orchid/dp/B017BPNCSS

I have the second one, and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Coversafe-Anti-Theft-Secret-Orchid/dp/B017BPNH1A

But maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

Sayhello
It’s a money belt to wear inside our pants/shorts. Not outside.

Plug adapters….have those too!

Full disclosure, I travel almost exclusively carryon only, even for 2-3 wk trips to Europe.

Travel as light as you can. European hotel rooms tend to be smaller. Even with ABD shlepping your bags for you, you won't have a lot of space to put stuff.
In your carryon, bring a spare change of clothes, all meds you need, and any other item you can't live without or replace easily.

a small tray to keep next to the bed for glasses, chapstick, earrings, etc - it packs flat and snaps on the corners
laundry soap sheets (just learned the trick of bringing a dry bag to wash in, instead of the sink)
pashmina scarf - works as a blanket on the plane, scarf, head cover for churches, hood in the rain
water bottle
comfortable shoes - way more important than those cute little flats for a long day of touring
photocopy of my passport
a small backpack to carry umbrella, water bottle, snacks, small purchases, my kindle for the bus ride, hat

I wear my cross-body purse, zipper to the inside (and locked depending on the location) and my backpack. I totally look like a tourist, but that way my valuables are safe and I can carry the other stuff.

Bring clothes you can mix and match. My travel wardrobe is different than my daily wardrobe. It's mostly technical fabrics, dark pants and dark solid color shirts. They don't show dirt as much, don't wrinkle, and dry quickly if hand washed.

You just won't need much cash, especially since you won't be arranging your own tours. Money belts/neck bags are nice, but you won't need to put much in them. Any cash you need, you can stop by an ATM which are almost more ubiquitous than in the US.
Love this list--it pretty much matches mine after years of finessing. We go to the UK 4-5 times a year and the past couple times I've been carry-on only (this is from someone who used to travel with 2+ suitcases). I've had so many negative airline/baggage situations recently its really forced me to put ease/flexibility of travel ahead of looking cute/fashionable with lots of options. I have a really long trip coming up this summer that I won't be able to do this with (we have a formal event), but most of my stuff will be in the carry on. Anyway, this is my long winded way of reiterating air tags. They have come to my rescue multiple times the last year with delayed luggage. The baggage situation really has gotten horrible--both with BA and WN my two main carriers. They provide piece of mind as well when yours is one of the last bags off LOL.

The only things I would add to your list are disposable slippers for the plane and/or hotel rooms (flip flops also work in hotel room) and a power strip (make sure it is dual voltage). Many European hotel rooms don't have enough plugs and we all have so many devices it's nice to have.

I also take a bag of meds since England at least has not-so-great over the counter cold meds.

I do carry soap sheets in my purse, but I find they are hard to use as they get wet and stick together. I hate using bar soap to wash my hands with multiple people in a hotel room (yes, I mean my own family, LOL), so we bring a small liquid soap to have by the sink or pick one up as soon as we arrive. If we do check a bag, for toiletries, etc. I toss one in a ziplock.

Have a great time!

water bottle
photocopy of my passport

Super helpful. Thank you!

Before you go, be sure to watch the old movie, "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium". You will re-live this movie.

-Paul

As I've read the comments of @CaliforniaGirl09 and @aggiedog after my most recent experience here with an inner-european flight I just thought it's better to caution you regarding hand luggage only. I also tend to travel with hand-luggage onlye here for shorter trips, but now some airlines weigh your hand luggage before boarding the airplane.

During 2 of my 3 flights my hand luggage plus my small backpack were only 0,3-0,5kg over the now only allowed 8kg weight limit and they checked it in free of charge - remember: right at boarding the flight so it went immediately in the plane - but guess what: both times I didn't see my hand luggage again for several days. So both times I landed and stood there empty handed without anything at all and have to buy everything at my travel destination and spend several hours on the telephone. (Sure I got my money back every time, but I couldn't enjoy the trips)
So if you are over the 8kg with your hand luggage, better have checked luggage and small hand luggage with the most important things and one change of clothes. So that you got at least the last one.

Fun fact: My normal checked luggage was never lost ;-)

For your arrival day or free time in London, I recommend the Churchill War Rooms. I also like to go to Westminster Abbey because of the famous scientists buried there, but there are a lot of other cathedrals on the tour, so it's not a must-do.

For free time and meals in Paris, go to the 2nd arrondissement. There are hundreds of small bars and restaurants with all different types of food. Aside from French food, you can get very good Chinese or Spanish in the city.

In Florence, get a sandwich at Il Panino del Chianti. Other shops will show up on guidebooks, but this one is the best.

For free time in Rome, the area near Piazza Navona always has something fun going on. For a quick snack or meal, go to Pasta Imperiale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter