About to purchase a travel trailer... advice needed

FlyingBelle

DIS Veteran
Hi there -
We're getting ready to upgrade from our 1975 pop-up to a full-sized travel trailer. (We purchased the pop-up as a way for DH to get used to the idea of camping before we invested in a big purchase).

We're trying to decide if it's worth it to get a slide-out or not. We're looking at a Jayco, with the queen bedroom in the front and bunks in the back for our 2 kiddos (DD 5, DS 18mos).

It seems like the slide out not only adds quite a bit to the cost, but also the weight (which I assume adds to the fuel costs of hauling it).
We're trying to determine if we're going to regret not getting a slide-out. We've been in both at the rv sales center, and the slide-out sure is nice, I'm just not sure it's worth it for the amount of time you actually spend inside the camper.

Experiences on both sides welcome!!

I would never have a unit without a slide. You will also lose more if you ever try to trade it in or sell it.

Hi there -
We're getting ready to upgrade from our 1975 pop-up to a full-sized travel trailer. (We purchased the pop-up as a way for DH to get used to the idea of camping before we invested in a big purchase).

We're trying to decide if it's worth it to get a slide-out or not. We're looking at a Jayco, with the queen bedroom in the front and bunks in the back for our 2 kiddos (DD 5, DS 18mos).

It seems like the slide out not only adds quite a bit to the cost, but also the weight (which I assume adds to the fuel costs of hauling it).
We're trying to determine if we're going to regret not getting a slide-out. We've been in both at the rv sales center, and the slide-out sure is nice, I'm just not sure it's worth it for the amount of time you actually spend inside the camper.

Experiences on both sides welcome!!

You will regret it if you get a unit without a slide out - I agree with the pp also about resale - *no one* wants a resale trailer without a slide!

Yes, they are heavier, but having had many different trailers in the past several years, the gas mileage doesn't seem to be that much affected after a certain point. We now have a our 2nd MH, and way prefer it, but then we've been "down the road awhile" :)

If you are really serious RV'ers and enjoy camping, then you will want a slide out (or two). You may spend more time in it than you are thinking. With 2 little ones, it also gives them a little space, also at this stage you may be wanting some space for a pack-n-play (I know our son did).

Happy hunting pixiedust:

Thanks to both of you!

We've got another 6 weeks before the cash comes in to make the purchase, so we'll have to take a look again when the boat and rv show are in town!

YES SLIDE! You'll never regret it! As far as gas mileage, the differene between 9.5 mpg and 10 mpg you'll never notice!:rotfl2::rotfl2: Congrats on the TT, you are now one of us!

I hate slides. I had a 39 foot diesel with four slides and I think they suck. They add cost, weight and complexity to the unit. I was in a park in Tucson Arizona one evening and when I went to retract the slides one did not close. You are suppose to be able to retract slides manually but I was not strong enough to do it. I spent the night in the park, which was illegal. I was hoping we would not be harassed by a cop and fortunately we were not harassed. The next day I called an RV repair place who came out and cranked it in. Then we drove in and got it repaired. Burned out motor that cost $1000 to get it fixed.

The real reason I don't like slides is because I don't have any reason to use the extra room. An RV is large enough without slides. I am not going to be playing basketball or field hockey inside my RV.

Having said all that, the above posters are all correct, an RV is worth more money when you go to sell it if it has a slide. However, an RV is not an investment.

I forgot to add, get the RV you want the first time. Every time you trade you lose big $.

I forgot to add, get the RV you want the first time. Every time you trade you lose big $.

We have been camping our entire married life, have had lots of different types/sizes trailers, etc. but have kept and used each one enough that we never lost money on them. There would have been no way we could have purchased in the beginning what we have needed at each stage of our lives.

We now are on our second MH and absolutely love all our camping trips. For the PP that said he hates slides, definitely in the minority. We are now *empty nesters*, but enjoy our slides more than ever as we travel a lot.

All RV's require constant *up keep*, some things do break, and slides are no exception. We have had a slide sheer a bolt off, but that's easily fixed, but otherwise have never had any problems.

We're around a lot of RVers but have never heard anyone regret having slide-outs. But, it's true, anything can break, and then there can be *lemons* in most anything you buy.

On another RV forum website, someone recently asked "what was the greatest invention to RVs?" Without a doubt, the slideout was the top choice.

When we bought our very first camper, we were at a show and talking about this exact topic. Another family overheard us and gave us the scenario of being at a campground on a rainy day. They noted how cramped a unit would be without the slideout. Guess what? Our first trip with our first camper and it rained like crazy. We even had friends come visit us and the slideout became apparent it was well worth the money.

Our very first TT had one slideout. Our second TT had two slideouts. Now our third (toy hauler) has three slideouts. The more the merrier. :thumbsup2

Our first RV did not have a slide. We had two kids (8 year old twins). It wasn't a problem until we invited friends over for a camping meal with kids. We quickly wished we had a slide and made sure our next one had a slide.

We traveled with another family that had slides in their RV. When we would stop for one night stays on our way to WDW or elsewhere, it took us forever to get ready for bed. We had to rearrange items because we didn't have much storage. Our friends with the slides seemed to just push a button, have a room slide out and were all set.

The kids are 21 now, still go camping with us. As the kids grew...so did the RV...and the number of slides.

Good luck with purchasing your RV and here's to many family memories in your future.

OP, how long were you in a pop-up? I assume DH was happily convinced?

I am back where you were, doing the same thing for the same reason. Pop-up, not TT yet. But I'm interested in the topic. ANd wondering the same basic thing about slides.

Though, speaking slides/no slides, I have enough kids, that there's no way anything I get will be "big enough", slides or not, to be enough room to mimic indoors. We will still farm teens to tents, and mostly spend time outdoors.

My big question for the thread contributers, is that, I was told slides creat more potential for leaks, rot, maintainace failures, wet mold. I am basically conderned about water having more places to get in, as we camp in wet and humid conditions.

Water leaks and slides. Is that mostly a myth?

We only had it two years and then sold it to my brother. It was a step up from tent camping, which we had been doing for several years. DH loved being off the ground, air conditioning, a more comfortable bed, etc.

What we didn't like about the pop-up is that because it was an older camper, everything was a manual crank. DH is very methodical (read: slow) about everything, so I would take the kids into the lodge and feed them while DH raised and lowered the camper. On our last trip it took him 2 hours to take it down :surfweb: (while the camper next to us literally pushed a button and was all set up!) After that, we decided it was time to upgrade.:hippie:

So a *NEW* travel trailer without slides would be a HUGE step up for us. But I'm hoping we stay in it for 8-10 years - which is why we're debating slides or no slides.

There's an RV show in town this weekend, so we're going to take a look - bringing the kiddos along to close the door and see how crowded we really are with a couple of active ones running loose!

I am back where you were, doing the same thing for the same reason. Pop-up, not TT yet. But I'm interested in the topic. ANd wondering the same basic thing about slides.

Though, speaking slides/no slides, I have enough kids, that there's no way anything I get will be "big enough", slides or not, to be enough room to mimic indoors. We will still farm teens to tents, and mostly spend time outdoors.

My big question for the thread contributers, is that, I was told slides creat more potential for leaks, rot, maintainace failures, wet mold. I am basically conderned about water having more places to get in, as we camp in wet and humid conditions.

Water leaks and slides. Is that mostly a myth?

We have RV'd many years, our last two travel trailers, our two MH's all have/had slides - *none* have had a leakage problem, rot, mold, etc. We only had one that would sheer a bolt when opening, was an easy fix for dh replacing the bolt (after the one time we kept extra bolts easily bought from a hardware store). It happened maybe once afterward - just a very small blip of a problem.

When slides first became available, there may have been problems on some units - so maybe that's how the word got out they were a problem sometimes - really don't know. But we have many friends/relatives that have units with slide outs, and none seem to have a problem, and we all *love* them - wouldn't have a unit without them (and we are now empty nesters). Haven't heard any that have regrets having the slides, but have heard a few very unhappy they didn't get the slides (units were a little cheaper ;)) Good luck!

We started out in an Amerigo truck camper, so when we got a '29ft Sunline we thought we were living the good life.:banana: DD came along and we upgraded to our Prowler w/ a slide out. Wow what a huge difference. We camp w/ other family members, so it's nice to have a place to get out of the rain w/ our camper. If you've got a vehicle to tow it w/ go for the slideout:goodvibes
Every time we set up the camper and I push the button to open the slideout I'm so excited to see all the space
We've not had problems w/ the slideout and we've had the camper 6 years now.

Now I just need to talk DH into hauling it South to FW for a week or so:drive:

Well, after a trip to a Camping World show, and another drive down to the Jayco dealer, I think we've decided on the Keystone Bullet Ultralight - with not one, but TWO slideouts!

We're just waiting on some final pricing from a couple dealers to see what we can bargain for. And then it will be a trip to the credit union to see what rate we can get.

So excited to finally be in the final stages! Come on snow... let's get winter over with already so we can go camping!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter