Adding on: cheaper OKW or more desirable BCV?

Kazi7

Mouseketeer
I'm an original owner of 260 OKW points and am wanting to purchase a resale contract for 250-300 points in order to have enough to occasionally take our 4 adult children and their families. If it's just me and my husband going, we would like to do split stays with 3 nights at BCV and 3-4 nights somewhere else. We like to mix it up. Trying to decide whether to go for another OKW contract (love the lower cost) or a BCV contract (love the resort). Not sure we would necessarily use 250-300 BCV points per year at BCV but I like the flexibility of having that many points there. Would it be dumb to purchase the higher-priced BCV contract if we sometimes used those points to reserve elsewhere at 7 months? I'm also willing to rent my BCV points if we don't use them. BTW, I'm not super interested in the GV at OKW so having all the points at OKW isn't necessary for that purpose.

Is there a reason you're trying to get 250-300 points at Beach Club without a need to own that many?

IMO on these 2042 resorts that aren't maybe the greatest value I would buy the minimum amount that would fit your needs and if you're truly intending to wait til 7 months at times, maybe add another resort to that for sleep around points like Saratoga or simply add on a little bit more OKW.

Would it be dumb to purchase the higher-priced BCV contract if we sometimes used those points to reserve elsewhere at 7 months?

If you’re wanting to do split stays, purchase a decent sized BCV contract and then a cheaper contract somewhere (OKW). It’s definitely wise to own BCV especially if you desire to stay there during popular times.

Is there a reason you're trying to get 250-300 points at Beach Club without a need to own that many?

IMO on these 2042 resorts that aren't maybe the greatest value I would buy the minimum amount that would fit your needs and if you're truly intending to wait til 7 months at times, maybe add another resort to that for sleep around points like Saratoga or simply add on a little bit more OKW.
The problem is that I don't have a crystal ball to see what our needs will be in the next few years. LOL. If it's just me and my husband staying at BCV, then we could buy fewer points, but if we end up bringing our kids more frequently, then I'd need more and the 11 month window would be really helpful in getting the units that we want, since we all like BCV. It does make sense to go slow--maybe add a modest contract at BCV and see how that goes. I can always add more points if I feel the need after that, I suppose.

We just had a very fun trip with 2 of my kids and our grandson where we used a bunch of banked 2023 points, and most of our 2024 points on a 2 BR, so now I'm in crazy add-on mode! We've owned for 28 years and never added on, although I have had to rent points for some trips. It would be so nice to have enough to do more.

I'm an original owner of 260 OKW points and am wanting to purchase a resale contract for 250-300 points in order to have enough to occasionally take our 4 adult children and their families. If it's just me and my husband going, we would like to do split stays with 3 nights at BCV and 3-4 nights somewhere else. We like to mix it up. Trying to decide whether to go for another OKW contract (love the lower cost) or a BCV contract (love the resort). Not sure we would necessarily use 250-300 BCV points per year at BCV but I like the flexibility of having that many points there. Would it be dumb to purchase the higher-priced BCV contract if we sometimes used those points to reserve elsewhere at 7 months? I'm also willing to rent my BCV points if we don't use them. BTW, I'm not super interested in the GV at OKW so having all the points at OKW isn't necessary for that purpose.

It sounds like you're weighing your options carefully to ensure your family vacations meet everyone's needs. Considering split stays and accommodating your growing family shows your thoughtful planning. While a BCV contract offers flexibility and the allure of the resort, the lower cost of another OKW contract may also be appealing. Perhaps a compromise could be investing in the higher-priced BCV contract but being open to renting out unused points. This way, you have the flexibility you desire without feeling tied down to one location. Ultimately, it's about finding what works best for your family's unique vacation style and preferences.

They have a direct flash sale going on now for OKW, as low as $148 per point. I know resale is cheaper but you get 2057 expiration and the ability to use at all resorts.
Do you have any more details on this? I saw the sale posted on another website but it looked higher than $148 per point.

We own 260 at OKW and 200 at BCV. (Three kids with their own families). Two of my adult kids own some points at SSR. We all love BCV. Our traveling has changed over the years - Of course, years ago, we all traveled together as a family.

Years later, we became empty nesters. We still like to vacation together - it is hard to try to be at the same resort with three other families even with banking/borrowing. When we do plan those trips, I wish we owned more points at one resort. It does happen every few years. The waitlist used to work years ago but not so much the last few. Even if one waitlist works, it might not work for the other families.

Even our April UY is not ideal for us now that we like to take two trips a year. March and usually October. If we need to cancel March, we are not in a good place. October, we can always bank (by November).

Travel patterns change. If I were to add today in your scenario, I would get enough points at BCV (with banking and borrowing) to get all of my kids and our families at BCV or buy more OKW points to get to that number. I would buy enough points for a week at BCV for my DH and me. I bought OKW first myself. Loved the BCV location and added on. Who knew we would all love the location.

Good luck. Curious what you end up buying.

@AnnaS Thanks for your post. It does sound like we have some of the same issues. The 260 points were enough when we could stay in a 2 bedroom every year or so with the 4 kids sharing beds, but now that doesn't work anymore. I'd love to buy 120 points at BCV which would prob suit our needs for now but those contracts in the right UY are hard to find and always seem to go quickly. I'm not sure I'm up for stalking the listings and participating in bidding wars. LOL

In the long run, it might make more sense to rent some points when everyone will be coming down. Because really, how often are all the kids available at the same time?? However, I've rented a few times and never had success getting points at BCV. The rental process is stressful to me as a renter when you have your heart set on specific dates and resort.
The thought of owning a bunch of points at BCV is exciting even though it might not make the most financial sense, unfortunately. 😅

We have the same issue with our UY of March. We would like to occasionally travel in Feb but hate to risk the last min cancellation. It's not enough of an issue that I would want to get 2 different UY though.

Go for the OKW points. When we bought in 2000, BCV was not around but BWV was - we had no clue back then what the location would to all of us. F&W, F&G, Festival of the Arts and the convenience for our kids/grandchildren to be close to two parks). It will make it so much easier to book the dates you want and you will all be at the same resort. It does not happen often, but when it does, it's a struggle. You can always take your time for a small BCV contract.

And we do love our OKW. I like to try all the resorts. We have not switched in a while since my DH prefers to stay at OKW (or BCV). Good luck!!

I would do both if you can. Sounds like you want the 11 month advantage at BCV, but won't need it every year. If that is the case, stack up on those SAPs at OKW or even better...IMO...SSR. Buy just enough BCV points to weld that flexibility when needed.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

I would do both if you can. Sounds like you want the 11 month advantage at BCV, but won't need it every year. If that is the case, stack up on those SAPs at OKW or even better...IMO...SSR. Buy just enough BCV points to weld that flexibility when needed.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
Why do you like SSR for SAP's?

Why do you like SSR for SAP's?
Low buy in (PPP), low annual dues ($8.14) and a 2054 contract expiration. With the advantage that you can always fall back on SSR even for last minute trips, which we don't do.

We have never stayed there, but we own there. We do not have a need for an 11 month booking advantage, so that is something to factor in.

OKW has a lower buy in
SSR dues $8.14 vs OKW $9.87
SSR contract ends 2054 vs OKW 2042 (unless you purchase an extended contract)

I think either can be a good decision based on what you want to get out of the points and how long you plan to keep them.

Last edited:
Low buy in (PPP), low annual dues ($8.14) and a 2057 contract expiration. With the advantage that you can always fall back on SSR even for last minute trips, which we don't do.

We have never stayed there, but we own there, We do not have a need for an 11 month booking advantage, so that is something to factor in.
FYI SSR expires 2054

I didn't even think about SSR expiring in 2054. We will be 79 when our OKW expires, so we're not really interested in anything extended.

Do you have any more details on this? I saw the sale posted on another website but it looked higher than $148 per point.
They sent me a chart via email. I’ll see if I can figure out how to post it. The $148 was with the incentives and selling the first/partial year points back to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter