Adding on: cheaper OKW or more desirable BCV?

In my mind this is roughly an $8000 question, which is approximately the difference in cost between a 260 point resale OKW contract ($90 pp) v. a resale BC contract ($130 pp.) Put another way, it’s renting 260 BC points 1 1/2 times at $20 per point v. owning those points (& paying MFs on them) for another 18 years. A third way to look at it to divide the years left on the BC by how much more it’ll cost - so roughly $450 per year more for buying BC v. OKW.
My question is how successful have you been at using your OKW points to reserve BC recently? If that’s worked for you maybe it’s worthwhile to just stick w/ OKW. If, OTH, you want to stay at BC & you can’t do that w/ the OKW points you have currently, then it’s a question of is getting what you really want worth paying a premium to you & the ‘to you’ part is very personal. To me, I’m at the point in my life where I could easily pay the difference, thus paying a little bit more to get what I want is a no brainer. When I was younger I didn’t have that luxury, I needed to save to pay for my son’s college & invest to fund my own retirement, etc. & thus paying more would have been a poor choice for me back then.

To try to get everyone at one resort combining points from three resorts - will be even more of a hassle. I have my two resorts (OKW and BCV) and my two sons own at SSR. I would stay with the two mentioned by the OP. Book everyone with the larger contract and use the smaller contract for you and DH.

then it’s a question of is getting what you really want worth paying a premium to you & the ‘to you’ part is very personal. To me, I’m at the point in my life where I could easily pay the difference, thus paying a little bit more to get what I want is a no brainer.
I'd say this is very much where we are at this point. It's a fortunate position to be in, but I still want to make a good decision for the long run. Just doing my due diligence.

I'd say this is very much where we are at this point. It's a fortunate position to be in, but I still want to make a good decision for the long run. Just doing my due diligence.

We love OKW and we also love BCV. For us, we rarely book studios so we have always had good luck using our OKW points to book one or two bedroom villas at BCV. Now that could change based on booking patterns but to me this risk is far more palatable than when the 2042 cliff comes and prices nose dive. It’s happening with OKW and I’d argue it’s just started with BWV.

Thanks for all the input.
I think we would like to go for a BCV resale. Another question: with a March UY, could I easily find renters for 240 banked 2023 points? By the time we would close, availability at BCV may be limited, so I’m a little worried the points might be wasted as far as booking there is concerned. Guess there’s always renting at 7 months for any resort.

Thanks for all the input.
I think we would like to go for a BCV resale. Another question: with a March UY, could I easily find renters for 240 banked 2023 points? By the time we would close, availability at BCV may be limited, so I’m a little worried the points might be wasted as far as booking there is concerned. Guess there’s always renting at 7 months for any resort.
You'd likely be closing in May or June if you offered now and got the process rolling. That's still within the home priority window for early next year. Plus as you mentione renting for the 7 month mark. It shouldn't be an issue.

One other thing I was going to mention is you also can go for larger point transfers periodically. You're able to bank transferred points and could even end up having enough points along with banking/borrowing your own BCV points to get you thru a few years before needing more. That can work pretty well if you didn't want to purchase a contract.

As another possible way to use expiring 2023 points from a new resale contract: If I had an existing reservation for Nov 2024 for a BCV 1BR made with my OKW points, would MS change my Nov reservation to use my new BCV 2023 expiring points? Obviously if the availability is there, I could switch it myself, but not sure if it will be.

As another possible way to use expiring 2023 points from a new resale contract: If I had an existing reservation for Nov 2024 for a BCV 1BR made with my OKW points, would MS change my Nov reservation to use my new BCV 2023 expiring points? Obviously if the availability is there, I could switch it myself, but not sure if it will be.

If the original reservation was made using home resort priority (11-7 months) then no but if it was made 7 months or later you should be able to make that switch. Usually You don’t even have to call MS. Just modify the reservation in your dashboard, keep the same dates and then select the different contract (with the banked or 23 points) and re-confirm.

OK thanks! Good to know. Sorry for all the questions but I've never done this before.

If the 2023 expiring points are at BCV and the reservation is at a different resort than BCV (made at 7 months with OKW points) can I still do it (change the points used)? Or is it something special about using the BCV points for a BCV reservation?

I didn't even think about SSR expiring in 2054. We will be 79 when our OKW expires, so we're not really interested in anything extended.
My DH is 79 and we are iffy planning a trip when he is almost 80. You don't want to be sitting around on your 80th birthday wishing you still had dvc. LOL

Really, we had our kids added to our account when we bought. We've controlled all the points now, but when we give up, the kids can take over.

OK thanks! Good to know. Sorry for all the questions but I've never done this before.

If the 2023 expiring points are at BCV and the reservation is at a different resort than BCV (made at 7 months with OKW points) can I still do it (change the points used)? Or is it something special about using the BCV points for a BCV reservation?
No, as long as the first reservation was made inside the 7 month window, you should be able to swap out the OKW points for BCV points without a problem. Just be sure to do it more than 31 days out, to avoid any holding issues.

They sent me a chart via email. I’ll see if I can figure out how to post it. The $148 was with the incentives and selling the first/partial year points back to Disney.
Do you have any idea where to find details of this offer? I contacted DVC who said they are selling for $205 per point and they’re only offering a very small discount on top of that. Not sure if I need to ask for something else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter