"Additional restrictions" for Hogwarts Express?

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Finally read one of the Universal emails this morning describing the train and access to it. It says in bold letters you can ride either way with a park to park ticket or AP. Then further down in the paragraph there is an asterisk by "Hogwarts Express" and it says "additional restrictions may apply." I've followed every link from that email regarding tickets, etc. and nowhere do I see any mention of what these "additional restrictions" might be! I'm wanting to go ahead and buy tickets for our fall trip, but not until I know for certain that a regular park to park ticket will suffice. Anyone have any insight here?? TIA!! Can't WAIT to see it!!

Finally read one of the Universal emails this morning describing the train and access to it. It says in bold letters you can ride either way with a park to park ticket or AP. Then further down in the paragraph there is an asterisk by "Hogwarts Express" and it says "additional restrictions may apply." I've followed every link from that email regarding tickets, etc. and nowhere do I see any mention of what these "additional restrictions" might be! I'm wanting to go ahead and buy tickets for our fall trip, but not until I know for certain that a regular park to park ticket will suffice. Anyone have any insight here?? TIA!! Can't WAIT to see it!!

I don't think the additional restrictions have anything to do with your ticket. As long as you have park to park, you'll be fine. The additional restrictions may be having to do with strollers, etc. There has been some chatter on how they will handle transporting things like strollers and wheelchairs when the seating is in cubicles.

Hope you're right! I don't want to get stuck with tickets I can't use. I'm just leery after the weirdness with the Potter packages when it first opened!!

Hope you're right! I don't want to get stuck with tickets I can't use. I'm just leery after the weirdness with the Potter packages when it first opened!!

Weirdness with the Potter packages? I think that was just because the ride wasn't quite ready when they had hoped. Notice that there are no packages available yet for the new Diagon Alley. I think they learned their lesson on that one. And actually, I think those people who booked those first Potter Packages really lucked out because they had the entire area to themselves for half a day for the soft openings. There were lots of complaints before people went but none after they came back.

Weirdness with the Potter packages? I think that was just because the ride wasn't quite ready when they had hoped. Notice that there are no packages available yet for the new Diagon Alley. I think they learned their lesson on that one. And actually, I think those people who booked those first Potter Packages really lucked out because they had the entire area to themselves for half a day for the soft openings. There were lots of complaints before people went but none after they came back.

We were there when Universal had it soft openings for FJ. We had booked our room at PBH early in January for May and UO honored our room only reservation allowing us early entry for FJ and Harry Potter Land along with those other packages that were booked before the public was allowed in. It was awesome!!! We were so spoiled especially after we saw the horrendous lines for many hours that occurred when it did finally open.

I thought I remembered reading that the packages said you'd have the whole day for package-holders only but it turned out to just be one hour....? I could easily have misunderstood. I know I absolutely cannot WAIT to be there! I'm a "no spoiler" gal, so all I have seen is what we couldn't help but see Memorial Day weekend while we were in the park. I'm stocking up on Dramamine now!! LOL.

I thought I remembered reading that the packages said you'd have the whole day for package-holders only but it turned out to just be one hour....? I could easily have misunderstood. I know I absolutely cannot WAIT to be there! I'm a "no spoiler" gal, so all I have seen is what we couldn't help but see Memorial Day weekend while we were in the park. I'm stocking up on Dramamine now!! LOL.

I think they were told they'd have all day access but with all other guests and they had to settle for a few hours sole access in the mornings because the area wasn't fully open yet. They actually got a better deal because all day access with everyone else turned out to be a zoo.

It was more like Damo said if I remember correctly. We had that area to ourselves for the entire morning and they might open up periodically to allow the public in sporadically so it was never really busy. We were there for about 5 days and I believe it was like that the whole time. Memory is rusty but I just remember we never had crowd issues. FJ did keep going down tho so you might be stuck in line waiting for it to come back up. We went on it first thing so didn't have a problem.

We're booked at PBH for the first week in July so hoping Diagon Alley will be open by then.:)

We had a one-day conference at PBH last summer and it was gorgeous!!!! Kids really liked RPR (and so did we), so we're staying there again. Would really like to try Cabana Cay, but have to save that for when early access isn't #1 priority. I really like the retro theming.

We went in early June in 2010 and stayed at HRH. We did not have the package but were allowed early entry and entry into the WWoHP. It was the best trip ever!!! Only package holders and onsite resort guests were allowed into the WWoHP, the streets of Hogsneade were nearly empty, the stores weren't crowded, the line for FJ. wasnt long tho the ride kept breaking down. Loved it! Even tho we were only let in until 11:00 it was great. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

We had a one-day conference at PBH last summer and it was gorgeous!!!! Kids really liked RPR (and so did we), so we're staying there again. Would really like to try Cabana Cay, but have to save that for when early access isn't #1 priority. I really like the retro theming.

I think you mean express passes. Cabana Bay gets early entry but no express passes.

I think you mean express passes. Cabana Bay gets early entry but no express passes.
Well really I should've said both. Express Pass would definitely be more important, but early entry is big too. And so far, all the fine print in all the Cabana Bay promo emails I've gotten just says CB guests will have early access to IOA, not IOA and US. I don't know if that will change when Diagon Alley opens, but I'm staying at RPR either way. We'll have to try CB some time later when the crowds ease.

My guess for additional restrictions probably has to do with strollers/wheelchairs and the Hogwart's express. It may be that you have to swap rentals at either end, although it's not 100% certain how this is going to be handled.

My guess for additional restrictions probably has to do with strollers/wheelchairs and the Hogwart's express. It may be that you have to swap rentals at either end, although it's not 100% certain how this is going to be handled.

But what about people who have their own ECVs or rented one from offsite? My mom always rents one from offsite. Surely there will be someway for people like her to get on the train.

But what about people who have their own ECVs or rented one from offsite? My mom always rents one from offsite. Surely there will be someway for people like her to get on the train.

Nobody knows at this point but it has been talked about in rumours about the Hogwarts Express. It may be that there is very limited space for strollers/wheelchairs/ECVs and wait time may be considerable for things like that. When you look at the train, you can see that it is all small compartments like the real train.

My mum can transfer from her scooter (she uses crutches and moves slowly) so as long as we can do a reasonably timed round trip to get back for the scooter that would be OK. I'm imagining, though, that once we get to the other end we'd have to queue again to get back. That would be a bit problematic as she can't stand in queues for very long!

Our family will have to keep our ears peeled for this one :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter