Admin Please Close Thread.

Lol nah it was the one before that of mine. But really what got the drama going for the thread itself wasn't me myself but rather all the reporting the OP said they were doing to all kinds of posters for everything. That was when this thread derailed into what it is now. It's the strangest thread I've ever encountered for that reason, never seen that many people someone has been after like that.

BUT butter churners and meat grinders, yurts I think too must have skyrocketed on Google searches :)
Excellent work click. Excellent work.

Thanks! What very specific criteria! I don’t think in all my years on the Dis I’ve ever seen a poster so specific about who could respond to their thread. Or get so upset when others did. 😳
I think that quote was still missing her question ... here is the whole thing. I think folks outside those rules could still offer very solid contributions. But I guess OP did not.

I was in an interesting conversation with a friend.

For those that make $100k or less per year combined AND have the following:
*Mortgage or rent payment (If you don't have a mortgage/rent payment...well then you are lucky and probably not in the norm here for this scenario of middle class)
*Kids and their expenses
*At least 1 car payment
(plus the normal groceries/utilities/insurance/etc)

Are you able to still afford yearly vacations in 2023?

Just for fun, we priced our multiple vacations. We were shocked at the cost of many vacations now.

Well, now that I know the criteria for posting…. I better move on. Our kids are grown, our house is paid off 15 years ago. We do have a car payment tho. Our income is still over 100K, DH will fully retire at the end of the month so we’ll probably be under that next year. We’re out of state APs ($$$!) & take 2-5 trips a year. In fact, I need to go pack - we leave tomorrow for a 5 day trip we just decided to take 2 weeks ago. Going to see the Easter Eggs at GF! Probably not who the OP wants to hear from! 😂

Well, now that I know the criteria for posting…. I better move on. Our kids are grown, our house is paid off 15 years ago. We do have a car payment tho. Our income is still over 100K, DH will fully retire at the end of the month so we’ll probably be under that next year. We’re out of state APs ($$$!) & take 2-5 trips a year. In fact, I need to go pack - we leave tomorrow for a 5 day trip we just decided to take 2 weeks ago. Going to see the Easter Eggs at GF! Probably not who the OP wants to hear from! 😂
They were very cool - we just got back a few weeks ago and wanting to already return!

POG Juice IPA - I am literally gagging ... since we are all just going crazy - why not just have an IPA flavored Dole Whip :)
You are too late ...

450-hawaiian-dole_1800x1800.jpg

first-magnitude-brewing-company-dole-whip-sour-beer-1597757971.jpg

AND THERE ARE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

I just have to say that it is actually kind of nice to have a thread like this. I often read posts that makes me want to go down a rabbit hole and force myself not to (most of the time). I like the CB because it is much more accepted.

Fun, random banter is good for the soul. Thanks for the laughs :)

P.S. In no way is mine meant to be picking on the OP. I've had my feelings hurt plenty of times on here and to some extent understand that she was unhappy it went a different direction than her intent.
I am enjoying the off-topic banter. I do not like IPAs. I miss cheap Vegas. I am a fan of smaller, simpler weddings.

To stay quasi on-topic, even though I might no longer meet the OP’s definition as I’m now an empty nester, I do still follow a lot of the same techniques to save money for vacations.

1. Delta CC. I use both the miles and the companion certificates. Pay off the card each month. Also I use SkyMiles shopping to accrue extra miles. I make sure to use the miles for flights that are a good value, such as taking my mom and I to Rome and London in the off-season vs. Orlando for roughly the same miles.
  2. Disney Giftcards. I work to collect giftcards both at a discount, through offers (watch the thread) and I also convert awards from my employer to CG. Disney movie rewards also.
  3. Timing Your Travel. Not just Disney, but most everywhere. Being flexible can save a lot of money. When my kids were in school, we would go to Disney during our fall break here in October as it was a cheaper time than in the summer. With Vegas, sometime shifting your dates by 1 week can make a huge difference in hotel costs because of conventions.
I do make over 100K, but I’m also driving a 10 year old car and have a very reasonable mortgage. I plan to keep the car for several more years as to replace it would be around 60K and I’m pretty attached to it plus I only drive around 5K miles a year.

G

Generally, income is always discussed as gross pretty much everywhere. I am referring to 100k gross not net. Being real here, but if you don't have a mortgage but only pay taxes and upkeep , I really don't think you are truly middle class these days (Unless your home was like dirt cheap). Not being rude- but most have mortgages on top of taxes and upkeep on their home.
Not sure I agree that you can’t be middle class unless you have a mortgage. If you live in an area where houses are/were relatively inexpensive, you bought well below your means, or if you lived in the same house for many years, you can certainly pay it off even with a middle income. We rounded up our mortgage payments and paid off our house in about 15 years. We didn’t go to WDW back then but we sure do now. I realize some imaginary scenarios require assumptions, but sometimes personal judgments just aren’t true to life.

I am enjoying the off-topic banter. I do not like IPAs. I miss cheap Vegas. I am a fan of smaller, simpler weddings.

To stay quasi on-topic, even though I might no longer meet the OP’s definition as I’m now an empty nester, I do still follow a lot of the same techniques to save money for vacations.

1. Delta CC. I use both the miles and the companion certificates. Pay off the card each month. Also I use SkyMiles shopping to accrue extra miles. I make sure to use the miles for flights that are a good value, such as taking my mom and I to Rome and London in the off-season vs. Orlando for roughly the same miles.
  2. Disney Giftcards. I work to collect giftcards both at a discount, through offers (watch the thread) and I also convert awards from my employer to CG. Disney movie rewards also.
  3. Timing Your Travel. Not just Disney, but most everywhere. Being flexible can save a lot of money. When my kids were in school, we would go to Disney during our fall break here in October as it was a cheaper time than in the summer. With Vegas, sometime shifting your dates by 1 week can make a huge difference in hotel costs because of conventions.
I do make over 100K, but I’m also driving a 10 year old car and have a very reasonable mortgage. I plan to keep the car for several more years as to replace it would be around 60K and I’m pretty attached to it plus I only drive around 5K miles a year.
And all your tips are relevant to ANYONE, not just those within the criteria. Also as someone of empty nest age - we did all travel during those times OP described and while costs have changed, methods of saving and planning have not and we might even have more knowledge as we continue to negotiate life. Too bad they were not interested in info from the more experienced.

Okay I can do some sour beers

Some of the ones I like are:
View attachment 751077

Another one is
View attachment 751079

Not a sour but def. more light is:
View attachment 751080

And for late fall one of my favs of the lighter is:

View attachment 751081

This all sounds like a bunch of us need to get together for some :drinking1
OMG I LOVE the Sea Quench Ale!! That's my go to beer that I bring on beach vacations. It's been sold out at my local Publix for about a week now </3

Its actually great to get this perspective first-hand tbh ... I read an article a few weeks ago discussing people in income brackets above $100K and living paycheck to paycheck ... on the surface, it just wasn't computing for me. But, when i got into the details (much like posters are sharing) - I was like wow - that's pretty sobering to think that a household income above that threshold barely makes ends meet in certain parts of the country. I am sure some will suggest - well just move - but clearly thats not as easy as it sounds (due to family, careers etc ...) Thanks for sharing ....

:thumbsup2 Yeah 100K where we live it doesn't stretch that far. On paper it is so ridiculous! But do I want to move? Not really! Can I? Absolutely! Just because costs of living elsewhere in this country is cheaper doesn't mean my quality of life will be better if I were to live in those places.

Yeah my car is a 2002 (bought in 2005) my husband's is a 2010 (bought new). We are looking to replace my husband's 2010 but have presently held off due to car pricing. While my husband had a car payment in the past (one that was existing when we bought our house) I bought my car outright when I was 17. I'd say no matter what both my husband and I have gotten our monies worth on our vehicles.
Disney Giftcards. I work to collect giftcards both at a discount, through offers (watch the thread
Not Disney gift cards but we recently got a really good deal for SWA gift cards through Costco. They were $500 gift cards for I want to say $430. We bought two of them. Of course this is a substantial investment and majority of the time we would not have bought them (unless they were a gift) but we know we'll use them and the savings alone could pay for 1 person's 1-way flight (depending on costs of course but any little bit helps)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter