• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Advice For First time Buyer (resale)

Edit woops misread but yes even if you are a resale only owner you qualify for member incentives. It could even be a small 25 point resale contract somewhere and you’d qualify for member incentives. It’s kind of a nice way to get the discount and also choose your use year because they will match whatever use year you already have.

And this applies even if you bought resale? I know Disney has taken away a lot of DVC benefits for resale buyers.

Yes…as long as you are an owner, you can get the better incentives. It doesn’t change the restrictions you will have for the resale points.

But, any direct points you buy will be good at all resorts and if you end up at 150 total of direct points, you will also be able to be eligible for membership extras.

Do you care about future resorts? How many years do you plan on continuing to travel? Do you care about special opportunities and perks that come with being a DVC-Y (Blue Card) member such as annual pass availability, discounts, and other perks. Do you hope to some day travel on the member cruises?

If so, maybe 150 points direct would be the way to go. Riviera and Grand Floridian both have very attractive offers right now.

On the other hand, if all you care about is being able to stay “somewhere”, maybe let your dollars stretch further and consider a purchase at a resort like AKV where you can get in cheaply and have many many years left. Or, if you truly don’t care where you stay, consider a “subsidized dues” contract at Aulani. That would last until 2062… Just be prepared for those final few years to start getting tougher and tougher to get into WDW.

Perhaps most importantly… before you buy, I would highly recommend touring the resort you are considering buying if at all possible. THis is, for most people, a MAJOR purchase, and something you will have for a VERY long time. Don’t go into it lightly and casually. We have toured BWV, Riviera, and VGF. Initially we thought we wanted to purchase Riviera, but after the tour, we decided that, at least to us, VGF was what gave us that magical feeling that we felt we needed to own there. The fact that it arguably has one of the most miserly points charts is something we constantly joke about with each other…. Why couldn’t we have less expensive tastes!

Last edited:
Do you care about future resorts? How many years do you plan on continuing to travel? Do you care about special opportunities and perks that come with being a DVC-Y (Blue Card) member such as annual pass availability, discounts, and other perks. Do you hope to some day travel on the member cruises?

If so, maybe 150 points direct would be the way to go. Riviera and Grand Floridian both have very attractive offers right now.

On the other hand, if all you care about is being able to stay “somewhere”, maybe let your dollars stretch further and consider a purchase at a resort like AKV where you can get in cheaply and have many many years left. Or, if you truly don’t care where you stay, consider a “subsidized dues” contract at Aulani. That would last until 2062… Just be prepared for those final few years to start getting tougher and tougher to get into WDW.

Perhaps most importantly… before you buy, I would highly recommend touring the resort you are considering buying if at all possible. THis is, for most people, a MAJOR purchase, and something you will have for a VERY long time. Don’t go into it lightly and casually. We have toured BWV, Riviera, and VGF. Initially we thought we wanted to purchase Riviera, but after the tour, we decided that, at least to us, VGF was what gave us that magical feeling that we felt we needed to own there. The fact that it arguably has one of the most miserly points charts is something we constantly joke about with each other…. Why couldn’t we have less expensive tastes!

All great points! And seriously....we ask ourselves that all the time!! 😂

Not certain. But I'd think more like 4-5 months out. I realize stuff will be gone. I'll just keep checking the site multiple times per day to find availability. Also good with split stays.
There are two deal breaking statements in which I will say DVC is an absolute terrible idea and this is one of them.

Checking multiple times a day doesn't mean there will be availability. Especially when its only a few months out.

If you cannot or will not be booking at 11 months (or heaven forbid seven months) then the DVC system is not going to work for you and will likely cause future regret or frustration down the line. This is a long term commitment. Decades. Availability and flexibility has already been crunched over the years and Disney's changes will make home resort priority more essential in years to come. Certainly as 2042 approaches. The system isn't designed with much flexibility. That's why there are cash rates.

If you want to purchase DVC I think either you would need to alter your booking behaviour to plan trips earlier, or take your chances renting points 4-5 months out. That way there is no financial penalty if there is no availability.

Split stays may sound good on paper but when you are moving every day, they are not. Plus, if there's nothing available you run the risk of stranded points that you may not even be able to rent out.

It’s funny you say this cuz my partner and I were the exact opposite. We were originally planning on buying VGF because no resale restrictions.. ended up changing our mind mid-discussion that we wanted Riviera because we wanted to be near Epcot. My parents actually had a cash stay booked at VGF that we went to shortly after buying and I know the rooms aren’t exactly the same but it made us glad we picked Riviera. We lucked into picking the right resort for us but I do not recommend this strategy lol.
If you cannot or will not be booking at 11 months (or heaven forbid seven months) then the DVC system is not going to work for you and will likely cause future regret or frustration down the line. This is a long term commitment. Decades. Availability and flexibility has already been crunched over the years and Disney's changes will make home resort priority more essential in years to come. Certainly as 2042 approaches. The system isn't designed with much flexibility. That's why there are cash rates.

If you want to purchase DVC I think either you would need to alter your booking behaviour to plan trips earlier, or take your chances renting points 4-5 months out. That way there is no financial penalty if there is no availability.

Split stays may sound good on paper but when you are moving every day, they are not. Plus, if there's nothing available you run the risk of stranded points that you may not even be able to rent out.
Going along with this in general I would not recommend DVC to someone who can only book 4-5 months in advance. This is for a vacation for god’s sake, you don’t want it to become another job for you to try and scrounge up availability unless you’re sick like me who does it for fun despite not even planning a trip :p If you’re okay with SSR consistently then maybe it’ll be fine but IMO you’re doing yourself a disservice if youre not able to book at least 7-11 months out to get some benefit from your home booking priority and also trying the other resorts. I think I recall you saying you wanted studios.. which are the hardest to book room category. If I were you and you’re set on doing this, I recommend buying enough points to cover a 1 BR as that’s likely what will be available at the 4-5 month mark.

Last edited:
There are two deal breaking statements in which I will say DVC is an absolute terrible idea and this is one of them.

Checking multiple times a day doesn't mean there will be availability. Especially when its only a few months out.

Well said and I am going to add one more aspect for new buyers. Renting points can only happen when there are rooms, so if someone is not having good luck in finding rooms they want, then there may not be anything for you to offer to rent for someone else, especially if you are dealing with banked, borrowed, or holding status points from cancellations.

I’m not going to say I don’t care about future resorts but realistically I think I only need 100 points for now. I can get in at AKL for something like 11k where as we’re talking a minimum at VGF more like 30k. Doing a cost benefit analysis on that I can’t justify 3 times the cost.

Yes I’ve been to AKL many times and love it there. If not for the only bus travel I’d say it’s the best resort on the entire property. Ty!

Bought 100 (minimum) Riviera August of 2019, added on 200 more from the king-sized bed we were upgraded to in our one-bedroom on our Welcome Home trip. Now anxiously awaiting adding another 300 at Poly 2.0. We've been twice a year since buying in and it only makes us want to go more -- but differently.

Now we're bringing family, meeting up with other DVC families we're friends with on our trips, and wanting to go for longer trips each time to justify the cost of airfare. Seven days isn't enough to do what we like to do, so now I want two 10-day trips six months apart.

You've all been extremely helpful thank you. I've sort of begun to lean way from SSR given I don't actually want to stay there. However cost is still important to me and given small contract size I'm targeting (100) I have been leaning to AKV. However I love Wilderness lodge and there are good prices on BRV, and the dues aren't too different between BRV and AKV.

I'm 41. My partner is 10 years younger but we have no kids and won't. I had been looking at only longer contracts for obvious value reasons. BRV will expire when I'm 60, while AKV 20 years or so later. I'd guess I'd still like to go into my 60s but probably less often. Maybe she'd go with family after I'm dead, but really I've been thinking of longer contracts to sell on the backend and recoup some small value.

What are your thoughts on shorter contracts vs longer ones? It's very difficult to project this out. All the older resorts contracts ending might make it impossible to stay anywhere but your home resort home the 2040s too. Thanks!

You've all been extremely helpful thank you. I've sort of begun to lean way from SSR given I don't actually want to stay there. However cost is still important to me and given small contract size I'm targeting (100) I have been leaning to AKV. However I love Wilderness lodge and there are good prices on BRV, and the dues aren't too different between BRV and AKV.

I'm 41. My partner is 10 years younger but we have no kids and won't. I had been looking at only longer contracts for obvious value reasons. BRV will expire when I'm 60, while AKV 20 years or so later. I'd guess I'd still like to go into my 60s but probably less often. Maybe she'd go with family after I'm dead, but really I've been thinking of longer contracts to sell on the backend and recoup some small value.

What are your thoughts on shorter contracts vs longer ones? It's very difficult to project this out. All the older resorts contracts ending might make it impossible to stay anywhere but your home resort home the 2040s too. Thanks!
Personally given your age it’s hard for me to recommend a 2042 resort unless you love the resort. If you did purchase a 2042 resort I’d keep the contract on the smaller end like you are doing to minimize loss of value. The thing is though do you feel like you’re not able to book BRV at 7 months? I’m staying in a 2BR at BRV in September and managed to grab it at the 7 month mark. I know there’s a desire to own at resorts you like but if the availability is pretty good without home resort priority I have to ask myself is this an emotional decision or a more logical one? The same can be said of AKV as the 7 month availability is also pretty good but the contract also does last an additional 15 years compared to BRV. If we were talking about BCV or BWV that’s a different story because the home resort priority is a lot more important at those 2 resorts. You’re still very young so IMO I’d lean towards AKV over BRV unless you got an insane deal.

All the older resorts contracts ending might make it impossible to stay anywhere but your home resort home the 2040s too.

OK can someone please explain this to me? I've seen it a lot but in my way of thinking, when the 2042 resorts are pulled, all their owners lose their points so wouldn't the overall distribution still be the same? Yes, there will be fewer resorts to go around (unless new ones keep popping up every few years and/or they create new associations at those older ones), but the number of owners booking will also be less. I'm just banking on still being able to get SSR, OKW or AK which are not as loved as the near-park resorts, with the VGF I'm thinking of getting (though I can't stand the point chart).

Those 2042 resorts are being pulled, but keep in mind that those points will be resold immediately after the contracts expire if not before the contracts expire in anticipation of the contract end date and those “new” contracts will be able to book your home resort at 7 months, you just won’t be able to book theirs if you bought resale. If you bought direct then nothing will change. The thing that sucks for everyone is once all of these resorts have resale restrictions, more and more contracts will be resold over time and a larger percentage of the resorts will be ONLY able to book their home resort. This won’t come to fruition for awhile but in the long term I think the only thing we can guarantee is home resort booking at 11 months.

Last edited:
Personally given your age it’s hard for me to recommend a 2042 resort unless you love the resort. If you did purchase a 2042 resort I’d keep the contract on the smaller end like you are doing to minimize loss of value. The thing is though do you feel like you’re not able to book BRV at 7 months? I’m staying in a 2BR at BRV in September and managed to grab it at the 7 month mark. I know there’s a desire to own at resorts you like but if the availability is pretty good without home resort priority I have to ask myself is this an emotional decision or a more logical one? The same can be said of AKV as the 7 month availability is also pretty good but the contract also does last an additional 15 years compared to BRV. If we were talking about BCV or BWV that’s a different story because the home resort priority is a lot more important at those 2 resorts. You’re still very young so IMO I’d lean towards AKV over BRV unless you got an insane deal.
Thanks. I think this is where my head is at too. I'm likely to be looking at Studios which are harder to get, but maybe AKV is the best mix of what is right for me. CCV would be my top choice but those prices are too high.

Thanks. I think this is where my head is at too. I'm likely to be looking at Studios which are harder to get, but maybe AKV is the best mix of what is right for me. CCV would be my top choice but those prices are too high.
CCV honestly isn’t toooo far off from AKV and if you really wanted WL this is the way to go IMO. On a cost per point/year basis it’s among the best contracts to own. It kinda seems like WL is where your heart is at, it may be worth saving another year or a couple months and then you can grab a CCV contract instead.

CCV honestly isn’t toooo far off from AKV and if you really wanted WL this is the way to go IMO. On a cost per point/year basis it’s among the best contracts to own. It kinda seems like WL is where your heart is at, it may be worth saving another year or acouple months and then you can grab a CCV contract instead.
Seems like it's approx. $30-$40 more per point or so. That's pretty significant.

Between BRV and AKV, which resort do you love more? I am a firm believer of buy where you love most (we own @ BRV) and would still be happy as a clam if you are "stuck" at your home resort at 7-month. I have said this many times, 18 yrs is still a long time. I don't even know what's gonna happen to me next month let alone 18 yrs. This is how I see it, despite the expiration, if you're truly happy with 18 yrs at your home resort, it beats having an extra X years. If you love both and will be over the moon owning either one, then I'll go with AKV. Or just buy small contracts at both! 😆

Another consideration, do you travel to WDW during the holidays? If you do and want to stay at BRV, you pretty much have to own there as it is the most popular resort that time of year. You will not get a studio there at 7 months, one bedrooms will be scattered, you might get one or two nights. So is that important to you? I get giddy just thinking about stayign there around Christmas! 😍 (or anytime really!)

Btw we are in the same age bracket, and if I'm lucky enough to continue with travel when I'm beyond 60...I'll figure out then! Live now!😉

Seems like it's approx. $30-$40 more per point or so. That's pretty significant.
30-40 * 100= 4,000 at most. Over the life of a 33-45 year contract is around 100 dollars per year. Your dues at AKV will likely be higher at AKV as well due to the savanna and honestly will more than likely trump that difference in buy in. Of course I don’t know your finances but I’m just saying if you really want WL, it’s not really that far off.

Between BRV and AKV, which resort do you love more? I am a firm believer of buy where you love most (we own @ BRV) and would still be happy as a clam if you are "stuck" at your home resort at 7-month. I have said this many times, 18 yrs is still a long time. I don't even know what's gonna happen to me next month let alone 18 yrs. This is how I see it, despite the expiration, if you're truly happy with 18 yrs at your home resort, it beats having an extra X years. If you love both and will be over the moon owning either one, then I'll go with AKV. Or just buy small contracts at both! 😆

Another consideration, do you travel to WDW during the holidays? If you do and want to stay at BRV, you pretty much have to own there as it is the most popular resort that time of year. You will not get a studio there at 7 months, one bedrooms will be scattered, you might get one or two nights. So is that important to you? I get giddy just thinking about stayign there around Christmas! 😍 (or anytime really!)

Btw we are in the same age bracket, and if I'm lucky enough to continue with travel when I'm beyond 60...I'll figure out then! Live now!😉

30-40 * 100= 4,000 at most. Over the life of a 33-45 year contract is around 100 dollars per year. Your dues at AKV will likely be higher at AKV as well due to the savanna and honestly will more than likely trump that difference in buy in. Of course I don’t know your finances but I’m just saying if you really want WL, it’s not really that far off.

Points taken. I do love Wilderness Lodge. It's one of my favorite times to travel to DW, just after Thanksgiving rush and before Christmas rush. I don't mind split stays at all though. Actually I prefer them. Maybe that'll change when I get older! I really love AKL too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter