• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Advice For First time Buyer (resale)

Thanks for sharing the tool. It suggested 175. Seems reasonable to me.

I def understand the concept of "buy where you want to stay." I've monitored availability previously and found that things open up here and there. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic that if I'm checking multiple times per day I'll find the stays I want. It'll take a bunch of work, checking over and over. But I don't mind doing that. I know most people don't/won't. I just cancelled and rebooked award airfare for the fourth time because the cost kept dropping LOL.

The tools out there that share availability are not accurate in real time. They are snapshots only at one particular moment in time and unless you see it as soon as it posts, it may not be giving you the information you think it is.

Just be aware that the only way to know what you will be able to book is by going on the actual DVC site and you can only do that if you are an owner.

The good news is that you are willing to change, stalk, and split stay which Helps a great deal!

My hobby too. Makes me happy!

I recognize I might not always get where I want. Thinking I can much of the time. Also not minding split stays.

I will want studios though and I guess that's my biggest concern.
Studios can be tough at certain resorts, especially the ones w/ the "worst" or no views, because of the low point charts. It seems like you're pretty flexible though, so that's definitely a plus!
Are there any particular resorts that you love?

Just a couple a points that don't seem to have been mentioned;
To answer the question, "how many points", decide what your typical trip would be, then get the phone app "DVC Calculator". Note that if your plan is to switch at 7 months, you will likely need to be flexible with view - and that will likely demand more points. Do keep in mind that the points charts do change almost every year - but not by much.
You book your home resort at 11 months out, then you can change resorts if there is availability at 7 months. If you do not plan your vacations that far in advance, DO NOT BUY DVC! It is not for you. Buy where you are comfortable staying. That way if there is no availability at 7 months, great, you are still set.
Be sure and consider MFs more than the price per point. Those add up and end up being a bigger cost in the long run.
When deciding use year, be sure you can still bank the points of you cancel your typical stay at the last minute.
Once you move points through banking or borrowing, that is where the points stay. For example, if you borrow points from next year, then change your mind, you still have to use the points THIS year. You cannot move them back.

Just a few of the nuances we've encountered. Good luck!

Studios can be tough at certain resorts, especially the ones w/ the "worst" or no views, because of the low point charts. It seems like you're pretty flexible though, so that's definitely a plus!
Are there any particular resorts that you love?
Honestly, I love so many of them. I actually might prefer split stays!

I love Wilderness Lodge, Rivera and AK. I've never had the chance to stay at the Epcot resorts but really enjoy being there and walking to Epcot. I'd expect to love staying at BC and BW. Same thing for Polly.

I don't really enjoy being so far away at SSR or OKW. We don't really need or want the space. They are nice places but not for us.

Just a couple a points that don't seem to have been mentioned;
To answer the question, "how many points", decide what your typical trip would be, then get the phone app "DVC Calculator". Note that if your plan is to switch at 7 months, you will likely need to be flexible with view - and that will likely demand more points. Do keep in mind that the points charts do change almost every year - but not by much.
You book your home resort at 11 months out, then you can change resorts if there is availability at 7 months. If you do not plan your vacations that far in advance, DO NOT BUY DVC! It is not for you. Buy where you are comfortable staying. That way if there is no availability at 7 months, great, you are still set.
Be sure and consider MFs more than the price per point. Those add up and end up being a bigger cost in the long run.
When deciding use year, be sure you can still bank the points of you cancel your typical stay at the last minute.
Once you move points through banking or borrowing, that is where the points stay. For example, if you borrow points from next year, then change your mind, you still have to use the points THIS year. You cannot move them back.

Just a few of the nuances we've encountered. Good luck!
This is interesting. I'm not sure I'm even likely to know for sure my dates 7 months out.

I've def thought about dues. It's why AKL makes me hesitate. High already with many years to go!

This is interesting. I'm not sure I'm even likely to know for sure my dates 7 months out.

I've def thought about dues. It's why AKL makes me hesitate. High already with many years to go!

How far in advance would you be planning your trips and when? Mid September to just after marathon weekend in January is a very busy DVC time. Most book home resorts at 11 months and try to switch at 7 months to the popular near park resorts.

If you are thinking booking less than 7 months out, and prefer not to be at SSR or OKW, unless traveling in the summer, which has better chances. I think you will be disappointed more often than not in getting the resorts you might want,

How far in advance would you be planning your trips and when? Mid September to just after marathon weekend in January is a very busy DVC time. Most book home resorts at 11 months and try to switch at 7 months to the popular near park resorts.

If you are thinking booking less than 7 months out, and prefer not to be at SSR or OKW, unless traveling in the summer, which has better chances. I think you will be disappointed more often than not in getting the resorts you might want,
Not certain. But I'd think more like 4-5 months out. I realize stuff will be gone. I'll just keep checking the site multiple times per day to find availability. Also good with split stays.

Not certain. But I'd think more like 4-5 months out. I realize stuff will be gone. I'll just keep checking the site multiple times per day to find availability. Also good with split stays.

If you are going book short notice like that, and still want to own DVC, I’d go with SSR then because it is less expensive in dues.

As has been mentioned, definitely get enough points for the larger room options because the nights you might find here or there that pop up tend to be those.

If you are going book short notice like that, and still want to own DVC, I’d go with SSR then because it is less expensive in dues.

As has been mentioned, definitely get enough points for the larger room options because the nights you might find here or there that pop up tend to be those.
Thanks! I was leaning into that thought process also.

Ya'll are freaking me out now. We have been stalking and debating on what to purchase - have a few prospects in mind. We will always be a family of 3 as our youngest has Down Syndrome and will always be traveling with us. We typically try to get him down to Disney 1-2 time a year. Have been looking to purchase our own as the peeps we used to rent points from have sold theirs and we now have to decide the best option. We like DVC properties because we kind of need the convenience of in-room laundry with DS....we typically try to do no less than a week and prefer longer if we can swing it. We plan ahead but not sure we will always be planning 7-11 months in advance. We are thinking 300-350 pts at Boulder. After reading through a number of these threads I don't know if this is the way to go. I fear we will never be able to book the trip we want (would have some flexibility in dates however) It has been a while since I priced out a Disney trip through them and WOW! We felt like at what it would cost us to book a trip through Disney we would be better off purchasing DVC - now I am just not sure. UGH

Ya'll are freaking me out now. We have been stalking and debating on what to purchase - have a few prospects in mind. We will always be a family of 3 as our youngest has Down Syndrome and will always be traveling with us. We typically try to get him down to Disney 1-2 time a year. Have been looking to purchase our own as the peeps we used to rent points from have sold theirs and we now have to decide the best option. We like DVC properties because we kind of need the convenience of in-room laundry with DS....we typically try to do no less than a week and prefer longer if we can swing it. We plan ahead but not sure we will always be planning 7-11 months in advance. We are thinking 300-350 pts at Boulder. After reading through a number of these threads I don't know if this is the way to go. I fear we will never be able to book the trip we want (would have some flexibility in dates however) It has been a while since I priced out a Disney trip through them and WOW! We felt like at what it would cost us to book a trip through Disney we would be better off purchasing DVC - now I am just not sure. UGH
I was very nervous about buying DVC. We rented for a long time. Finally we decided on a small resale contract to use every other year. That helped us get more familiar with the booking system and availability for our specific interests. The other advantage was figuring out where else we’d like home advantage. We decided one in the EP area, one by MK. After looking At Poly or VGF for our second, we ended up doing 150pts VGF direct. Direct wasn’t necessary for us, but the recent incentives were so close in price making it irresistible.

That strategy came from these boards. Many people start with a smaller initial purchase with the intention of adding on later. Works good too! Already having the resale contract made us eligible for better incentives. Plus it was easy to match UY, something that could be a struggle with resale. It also gave us time to save up again for #2.

Especially for people financing, it helps to break it up as to not pay years and years of interest.

If you want one if the more popular resorts, then booking during the home resort advantage is a big plus.

You can always try to make a tentative plan to get your home resort booked and adjust later if needed

Since it sounds like a 1 bedroom would be a plus for you, those are easier to secure at 7 months.

But, DVC does work better for those who can plan in advance. The big thing is that you want to be okay with where you might end up if you don’t think you can take advantage of a home resort booking most of the time.

We bought a small resale contract at SSR for SAP, but like Saratoga Springs enough that we are fine with staying there. We are newbies too, bought our first contract in March. We ended up immediately buying another small contract at Riviera because that’s where we really wanted to own. So far, it’s been fairly easy getting used to the process and we used out SSR points to get a BR studio for the holidays at 7 months! I love the low dues at SSR and the low price point of dipping our toes into DVC. We rented for YEARS and it just got silly not too own. We plan on adding another small contract at Poly 2 then being set for a while. Lots of smaller contracts and variety!

Hi everyone. I am seriously considering buying DVC for the first time. There's simply too many factors here and I'm having trouble working through all of it and could really use some advice.

We are an adult couple with no children who would like to travel every year or two. Studio is fine.
I am not concerned about home resort for booking 11 months out. We are not likely to book that far out and I'm a crazy person who will check the website 3 times a day, everyday, to look for availability. Plus I don't mind split stays.
Certainly we'd prefer to stay at a MK or EPCOT resort, or AK.
I'd likely rent my points when I can't/won't go to cover my dues.

Should I be buying the cheapest Saratoga contract I can, which gives me a good price, many years and low dues?
Does it make sense to grab something like DAK instead due to higher rental prices I can earn and better resort I rather stay at, even if the upfront cost is a bit higher and higher dues?
Somewhere else? Boulder Ridge is great but short contracts.

Also how many points? Do I buy a little more than I might need for flexibility of resort and I can rent any extra? 120, 150, 200?

I know this is a lot, but I appreciate any advice, opinions and discussion. Thank you.
I don't have a lot to add that other people haven't already mentioned, but I do want to reiterate a few things.

1. It is best to buy where you most want to stay. This gives you the 11 month booking window, before the 7 month window opens up. There are many resorts where you will NOT be able to consistently book them at 7 months, unless you own there and have already done it before 7 months.

2. I think it is helpful to look at the time of year that you will be going most often to DW and try to get a USE YEAR that expires the month or two months before that. In this way, you will not feel a NEED to travel at your usual time - which you would feel, if the points/Use Year were about to expire - and you can comfortably travel at your usual time, but have the confidence that if you DO NOT do it then, you will still have almost a year to use your points, or bank them.

3. If you purchase at multiple resorts, multiple contracts, you really REALLY should try to get the exact same USE YEAR for all of them, and then put the exact same NAMES for Owners on the different contracts, and then have Disney roll them all into ONE Membership account. But they can only do this if they are the same Use Year and the exact same listed owners. I have 8 contracts at 3 resorts, and 4 different memberships. I work around them, but it is much much easier, and nicer to have them all in ONE membership, and that way you can just use the points from ALL of the contracts added together, during the 7 month window. For instance, I have one of my memberships that has 3 Poly and 2 Animal Kingdom contracts. If I am booking during the 7 month window, I can take points from ALL of them and make larger, better reservations.

I hope this helps a bit.

Honestly, I love so many of them. I actually might prefer split stays!

I love Wilderness Lodge, Rivera and AK. I've never had the chance to stay at the Epcot resorts but really enjoy being there and walking to Epcot. I'd expect to love staying at BC and BW. Same thing for Polly.

I don't really enjoy being so far away at SSR or OKW. We don't really need or want the space. They are nice places but not for us.
That's great if you prefer split stays! The more nights you try to book together in less than 7 months, the more difficult it gets. So if you don't mind split stay up to maybe even 3 resorts, you might have better chance. But like Sandisw said, it also depends on the time of year as well.

I think it's okay to be nervous about buying into DVC, it is a big purchase and long-term financial commitment. From the way you describe your touring style though and how often you go to WDW, DVC seems to make a lot of sense for your family.
Others have already mentioned, but you can always buy a smaller contract, try it out first and see if this is truly what you want. You can always add more points later for the same resort, or if you end up loving a 2nd resort besides BRV, you can buy at that resort instead and still have similar total amount of points. If you do need/want to sell your contracts later on, smaller ones are usually easier to sell as well.

I don’t have much experience but we just signed our first resale contract yesterday so I thought our process that we went through on making these decisions might be helpful.

We decided on our budget first. Then we decided on a range of points that would get us either a week in a studio yearly or a 1 bedroom every other year.

We had already known we wanted to purchase a resort that was more economical but with our upfront budget being a factor, this narrowed down the options to AKL and SSR. We have only visited 3 DVC resorts but we liked both of these so it worked for us. Due to the proximity to DS, amazing rooms, and the ability to walk / explore around the resort we decided on SSR. We’d be perfectly happy if we always end up there but like you I don’t mind stalking the system and doing split stays, so do hope to get to try other resorts too.

From there I went searching for contracts in this range, specifically targeting ones with stacked points. I thought it might take weeks to get a yes since I didn’t want to go over Fidelity’s average sales price per point for May. I was shocked to get a yes on my 5th offer with 200 bonus points on a 100 point contract.

Overall, I suggest looking at listings to become educated and then have a range of options that are acceptable so you stay within what you really want.

I was very nervous about buying DVC. We rented for a long time. Finally we decided on a small resale contract to use every other year. That helped us get more familiar with the booking system and availability for our specific interests. The other advantage was figuring out where else we’d like home advantage. We decided one in the EP area, one by MK. After looking At Poly or VGF for our second, we ended up doing 150pts VGF direct. Direct wasn’t necessary for us, but the recent incentives were so close in price making it irresistible.

That strategy came from these boards. Many people start with a smaller initial purchase with the intention of adding on later. Works good too! Already having the resale contract made us eligible for better incentives. Plus it was easy to match UY, something that could be a struggle with resale. It also gave us time to save up again for #2.

Especially for people financing, it helps to break it up as to not pay years and years of interest.
Can you help me a bit with the better incentives because you owned resale?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter