Advice on Upcoming Cruise Options

amcnj

DIS Veteran
Hi.

I had a cruise booked for July 2020. The deposit was paid, but by April when the balance was due, there were so many unknowns that I decided I didn’t want to tie up any more money at that time. I called RCL and moved the cruise to this July with no penalty.

Now a year later, I find myself in the same situation. I haven’t called RCL yet about this so don’t know my current options. I see as of now they have cancelled sailings through May. I am assuming if July is cancelled, it will not be until after April 30 when the balance will be due.

Would you pay the balance, call and try to push it back again (summer is the only time that works for one of the cruisers so that would be summer 2022), something else?
At this point I think I just want to get my money out of it and start fresh in the future. Not sure if that is even a possibility though. If I paid the balance and they cancel, then it might be. But I hate to tie up even more money with them right now.

Thanks for any input!

My personal opinion is US sailings will not happen before October. I’m not confident our governor can convince the CDC to lift the moratorium for Florida any sooner.

Agree with @Mrsjvb that the governor can convince the CDC. I believe the CDC will not buckle to pressure but will evaluate the health effects based on medical knowledge.

Hi.

I had a cruise booked for July 2020. The deposit was paid, but by April when the balance was due, there were so many unknowns that I decided I didn’t want to tie up any more money at that time. I called RCL and moved the cruise to this July with no penalty.

Now a year later, I find myself in the same situation. I haven’t called RCL yet about this so don’t know my current options. I see as of now they have cancelled sailings through May. I am assuming if July is cancelled, it will not be until after April 30 when the balance will be due.

Would you pay the balance, call and try to push it back again (summer is the only time that works for one of the cruisers so that would be summer 2022), something else?
At this point I think I just want to get my money out of it and start fresh in the future. Not sure if that is even a possibility though. If I paid the balance and they cancel, then it might be. But I hate to tie up even more money with them right now.

Thanks for any input!

Did you book refundable or non-refundable? If you have booked NR, they might keep your money as a credit.

If you booked refundable... Well, I think it would be better to cancel before the PIF date.

Did you book refundable or non-refundable? If you have booked NR, they might keep your money as a credit.

If you booked refundable... Well, I think it would be better to cancel before the PIF date.

I honestly don’t remember seeing the option for refundable versus non-refundable deposit at the original booking. But I looked on the documents and it does say the deposit is non-refundable.

And there is a $100 per person change fee. That was waived a year ago when I pushed it back, and possibly may be waived again this year if I push it back another year. Otherwise I guess the deposit will be eaten up at the rate of $100 per person each time a change is made.

I honestly don’t remember seeing the option for refundable versus non-refundable deposit at the original booking. But I looked on the documents and it does say the deposit is non-refundable.

And there is a $100 per person change fee. That was waived a year ago when I pushed it back, and possibly may be waived again this year if I push it back another year. Otherwise I guess the deposit will be eaten up at the rate of $100 per person each time a change is made.
I would just call them and ask if I can move the dates without fees. You might not get your money back but at least, you won’t have to inject more money for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter