• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Afraid of crowds at Christmas

crcurton

DISser since 2001
We have always been during the summer. (13 trips) I thought the crowds would be similar to July 4th week, but I think it may be worse during Christmas time! Please let me know if they are close in attendance.

The week between Christmas and New Year's Day is the busiest week of the year, reliably busier than the 4th of July week. It is so much busier that Disney actually created annual passes for locals that specifically block them out from visiting during that hectic time (but which are still valid all summer including July 4).

Historically, the parks are all packed during Christmas week, and others on this board can share their stories about phased closures at the Magic Kingdom during that time. While many guests truly enjoy the magic and energy found at Disney World during Christmas week, if you do not enjoy extremely crowded conditions, you would be right to be afraid. Be very afraid.

There’s nothing that compares to the crowds you’ll face over the holidays. There’s also nothing that compares to the beauty and magic of WDW during the holidays! Why not try to go earlier in December so you can enjoy the holiday offerings and have decent crowds? Bonus, you won’t be sweating to death like during the summer!

It’s crowded over Christmas week and as noted more so than the 4th of July. Like others we change how we visit yet still enjoy ourselves. We visit most parks early in the morning for the rides and then spend afternoons visiting the resorts with an eye focused on the holiday decor. Normally we only visit 2 parks in the evenings: HS and Epcot.

Some of my favourite trips have been over Christmas/New Years. It is so magical! Do early mornings, make your fastpass selections and just enjoy. I'm going again this year and not worried at all about the crowds. It is what you make of it! :)

Christmas is worse - Disney is always busy nowadays. But Christmas at Disney is MAGICAL!! So don't let the busyness deter you from experiencing that. I've been a few times Christmas/Christmas week, and despite the crowds, we still had a blast! And with some planning and understanding that there will be crowds, we've always gotten to do everything we wanted to do!

We did it once; won't do it again for Christmas week.

Starting with Thanksgiving week the holiday season begins. You can get the magic of the holiday season the whole month of December.

If you have no other week then do a lot of planning with your fastpasses as soon as you time comes to do it and do early entry if you are onsite. Get your ADRs lined up as soon as you can. Going very early and staying very late will be the most productive.

Obviously, many go at that time and continue to so. You just need to realize you won't get as much done. Shows are easier to get into; so, don't just concentrate on rides.

If you're truly afraid of the crowds I would pick another time. I don't mean to be a downer, but I saw pictures of MK from Christmas Day last year.

If you're dead set on going then plan to get up and rope drop, make some ADRs for a break and manage your expectations.

I'm not one to let crowds get to me, but even I would avoid that week.

The last two years we have been the week before Christmas, usually leaving on Christmas Eve day. Yes, it is the most crowded I've ever seen the parks and I go at all seasons of the year. It is manageable and the parks and resorts are beautiful, we tend to spend less time riding rides and more time just soaking in the atmosphere and touring the resorts.

Like others said, it's the busiest week of the year. If you walk in with an "I'm afraid" attitude, you won't have a good time. Walk in knowing it's busy, don't expect to be as "productive" as you are in the summer (we're multi-time summer vets and have done Xmas twice). Have holiday spirit and you'll have a blast. We were there for Xmas to New Years week 2017 and had the time of our lives.

It was a bucket list thing for me, we did it, and will never do it again. Disney is just way too expensive to be fighting those crazy crowds all day and getting to experience around 5 attractions (that was our experience with young kids). Now I would like to do NYE at EPCOT again! That was incredible. If I ever get the hankering to do a Disney Christmas again, I'll go in early December, not Christmas week.

Don't worry about the crowds. Disney at Christmas is magical. We have gone that week every years for 18 years - we love it.

1. We have never experienced a park closure. If you plan it right you are fine. We go early (by 8am) and leave everyday around noon. We head back to the resort for some pool and relaxation. We head back to the parks around 5pm for dinner and the evening until about 11pm. You only hit park closures if you go midday.

2. Compared to summer people are MUCH HAPPIER. My experience is that in the summer everyone is very hot and causes people to be grumpy. In December it is much cooler and the atmosphere if just more magical with the decorations. People are just less grumpy when its cooler.

3. Christmas at WDW is just magical. You will love it. Don't be afraid. Have a great time.

It was a bucket list thing for me, we did it, and will never do it again. Disney is just way too expensive to be fighting those crazy crowds all day and getting to experience around 5 attractions (that was our experience with young kids).

Agreed.

Been going since 84', and am a resident and AP holder. If you've never been during the holidays and are a fan of Disney/WDW, I think it's something you should do at least once. That said, the crowd patterns have shifted over the years I've been going. The current trend seems to be lighter in the summer and much heavier from Thanksgiving through New Years. The decorations are nice, but not worth the mayhem having seen them before, at least for us.

Between Christmas Eve and New Years Day is the absolute busiest time of the year with parks going into phased capacity closures.
Take other holidays and double it.
They have tape on the ground separately the left and right side of the streets and have arrow on the ground so show which way you should be walking and there are cast members with light wands directing traffic and constantly reminding poeople to stay to your right please stay to your right.
Whole bathrooms need to be closed for cleaning.
Its pretty much insane.
I would not choose to go during that time but it was still fun and if I had to again I would.

I went to Disney last year for Christmas. Dec 19-27. I found the crowds to be fine and I would go again. My advice would be to get an early start and utilize fastpasses to your advantage

I went to Disney last year for Christmas. Dec 19-27. I found the crowds to be fine and I would go again. My advice would be to get an early start and utilize fastpasses to your advantage

:confused:

I think I see you, in the middle there. :teeth:

image_thumb2.png

I booked for November 27th to December 6th, thinking it would be a bit slower... but the lack of hotel availability makes me worried it will be pretty crazy... I've only went in October, February & March before.

Magic Kingdom is famous for being limitedly closed due to capacity on Christmas.

Each Christmas my family and I just go resort hopping around the monorail resorts because we hate crazy crowds. For example, last year they were only letting passholders onto the monorail from Epcot to Magic for a limited amount of time. So keep that in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter