"Airline"....the show (not Disney related persay)...

I love Airline, and although I've now seen them all, I also enjoyed watching Airport on Discovery Wings, which covered many different employees at London's Heathrow airport, not just the staff of one airline.

My favourite air travel experience was during the summer of 92. I flew from Vancouver down to Los Angeles for a vacation. On the plane was an actress who was at the time a co-star on a tv series. She was flying business class with her husband and yound child, while her mother was in economy (who knows why).
After the flight took off, she noticed that business class wasn't full and she tried to have her mother join them. When the flight crew informed her that was not allowed she got very rude and caused a scene. In the end, her husband traded seats with his mother-in-law.

I always think of her whenever I see someone at an airport behaving like an idiot.

Love the show! My best flight story goes back to the year 2000. The family was going to DL for the 4th of July leaving July 1. Well Continental call the night before, we are still backing around 9 pm. The agent tell us our flight and the next flight are canceled. So I say ok which flight can you get us in, he says can you fly tonight? I say hey I dont have a room in california, he say no no we will fly you to houston put you up at the airport hotel pay for breakfast and we can catch the flight to california in the morning. My wife is upset cause she is not finished packing and I tell her the agent says "if we dont fly tonight we dont fly tomorrow - the airlines is flying at 110% capacily - in other words over booked. So I say when do we have to be there. He said NOW !!! Well I said ok and hung up the phone. It was a blurr through everything together, through everything in the van and we are off to Lafayette (an hour away). Now let me paint you a picture we had been in a drought in south Louisiana (which is rare) well it had started raining that day and i mean rain we got over 10 inches - which we can handle just water everywhere -lol and it was pouring, lighting everywhere. We took off for the airport. My wife was wild she could not get hold of no one in either of our families to let them know what was happening. we drive up to the airport & IT STOPS RAINING !!! Things are looking up. We tear in to the terminal (remeber this is pre 911) get to the ticket counter the agent is ready, he starts call out name, I keep saying no not us, then he says ok who are you i state the Punch Family he goes WOW !!! you guys were the ones that lived the furthest away and ya'll are the first ones here !!! I said great bump us up to first class and he did !!! Now this is a small airport and they usally only have small planes well they are taking us in a 737 and get a wheel chock stuck in the wheels so we dont leave till after 11:00 pm. It is after midnight when we get in to Houston. We finaly get to bed after 1 am & we have an 8 am flight out well we get up at 5:30 am go have breakfast. we get to ticket lobby about 10 to 7 am. I AM FLOORED it is packed and I tell my wife I dont know if we are going to make our flight. I tell her wait in this line i run around and find an agent for continental and make sure we are in the right line well we finally make it to the ticket counter the guy does everything he needs to do and says RUNNNNNNNNNN. We just made to the plane we had to wait for our luggage in California cause it did not make the plane. We a fab trip after that. Sorry this was so long I really shortened it up.

The guy in the "klit" was my favorite! That was no kilt--looked like a scarf tied around his waist if you ask me.

As for the dude in the tiger suit, he was either a complete fruit or--here is my personal theory, and not a bad idea if you think of it!!--I think he knew about the show and is like a big fan. He wanted to be on TV, figured hey I will wear this dumb costume I have in my closet and just growl at anyone who talks to me.

What do you all think?

And yeah, are these people proud of themselves for acting like idiots??? WHY would they agree to be on television. ("Hey, look ma, I am a total creep and selfish, arrogant jerk! Let's tape it and show all the cousins!")

Daisimae,

I had to laugh at your comment about Dunkin Donuts at TF Green...been there, done that long line MANY times!::yes:: ::yes::
I do have to say, though, that the last time we flew Southwest out of Green, the security line was the longest I've ever seen..complete with a guy with a big sign that said "End of the Line". Fortunately, although not so for DH, we were going to Baltimore for a followup visit to DH's foot surgeon, and he was in a cast with crutches...so we had a wheelchair, and were brought right to the front of the security line (even in front of the pilots and flight crews).

Anywho - I do have to say that I don't know how Southwest employees or any airline employees deal with such rude, obnoxious people day after day. I am someone who has to get to the airport early...so I just don't understand people coming at the last minute and being upset they can't get on their flight. I would probably last not even a day as an airline employee because I would probably say "It's your own freakin' fault you missed the plane, and I don't have to do ANYTHING for you. Next time, leave early!!" (among other things!)

Originally posted by Tigger22
Anywho - I do have to say that I don't know how Southwest employees or any airline employees deal with such rude, obnoxious people day after day.

It's not just Southwest... it's pretty much every potential customer service oriented field. I used to be a Customer Service Manager for a large retail chain, and I dealt with those same people there. Now I get to deal with them on vacation at Disney! :)

I think people just get so frustrated at the heat of the moment, they don't take the time to step back, breathe, and look at the situation. They only see it as "I want it my way, and that's that." If they see it from, "This is our policy, and this is why. Here's some tips for future travel..." they might have a different attitude.

(Or if they actually see how they're acting...)

Originally posted by bridgettesmom
Well, I personally hate that show and the reason why I hate it is because I work for an airline :rolleyes: .Trust me, this goes on everyday at anytime.

Same here.......I was in sales and marketing so I had to deal with the customer complaint letters through their TA or directly! Some of the letters that come from these situations are hysterical!

The best story I ever heard was a friend who was a CSA for a major airline dealing with a business man who was really demanding, mean and nasty to her. So right before boarding, she paged him to come to the counter. She advised him that there was a problem with his business class seat (there wasn't) and she could get him a seat in economy on that flight (of course the middle of three!) or he could wait for the next one. She just kept smiling at him all the time he was making a A** of himself. After a bit of him looking really bad to the surrounding passengers, he put "his tail between his legs" and accepted the economy seat!

I know that what she did wasn't particularly ethical, but it was a little bit of payback for her.

You've got to remember, these people also have the power if seats do come up - so if you are waiting for a standby seat the best thing to do is be really nice, don't hover at the desk and let them do their jobs.

Great show and I hope it helps point out to people how to conduct themselves in Customer Service situations, or how foolish they look!

Originally posted by bridgettesmom
Well, I personally hate that show and the reason why I hate it is because I work for an airline .Trust me, this goes on everyday at anytime.

Well, just to let you know this show is great for us non-flying (generally) and non-airline (or related) workers. By watching this show I have a higher regard for airline employees (and related)
and what you deal with daily! For us non-airline employees, since it is not close to our heart, we find it entertaining and facinating of the people out there !!
:crazy: and how incredibly crazy they can be.
Good job for taking on all those out there daily. !!:wave2: :wave2: :Pinkbounc :bitelip: :bitelip:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter