airmiles junkies unite!

Hi carina....as for the 105 i spent, for airmile deals i got:

5 boxes of cereal/get 100...(the big boxes were on for 4.99)
2 packs of ribs/get 100 (on sale for 10.99 each)

The rest i didnt get bonus airmiles on and just got some basics like bananas, veggies, bread, deli meat, granola bars, cheese and milk, etc...

So i got the 250 for spending a 100, and 200 in the cereal/ribs...and then 5 regular miles...

I spent a little less this week because the last few i have stocked up with the airmile deals...I think in the last 3 weeks i have gotten just over 1900 and spent about 750 dollars...the good thing now is the next few weeks i wont need to spend as much because i have lots in the house, but will continue to stock up as long as they offer these crazy airmile deals!

Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
I'm shocked at the amount that some of you are spending at Safeway. $250-$500. Is that all groceries???

My family of 4 only spends at the most $100/week on groceries. We eat out maybe once a week and that's usually take out Swiss Chalet or something similar. Maybe I'm just super frugal with the shopping....I try to only buy what's on sale and if it's really on sale I will stock up on common items but I don't include that in what I spend weekly. Those stock up items are an extra.

We are a family of 5(3 teenagers) and i also do in home babysitting...I spend an average of 800 dollars a month and we rarely eat out...We also feed a lot of extra mouths, tonight there were 7 of us at the dinner table-5 teenagers :scared1:...

I usually spend 150-175 a week, but bumped it up to 200 to get the huge bonus airmiles...teenagers are expensive to feed, especially when there are always extra around :lmao:!

Hi carina....as for the 105 i spent, for airmile deals i got.....

Thank you I appreciate all that you have helped me with this. In one shopping trip I got more than I do in an average year

I am hoping to go Wednesday but the snow on the hump keeps me away from the deals :scared1:

Made it to Safway yesturday. I spent 126 and got 366 in points ( I just could not bring myslef to buy the ribs, it was too small of a pack for that price and my family LOVES my homemade ones)

Thanks again

In 2 shopping trips I have gotten as many points as I would have gotten for over $12000 in gas at shell!

hi carina, the miles are back on this week again! :cool1:

Last week, i only shopped once and spent only 105 and got the 455 airmiles, so this week i am sure i will spend 200....And i know the ribs wasnt the "best" deal, i actually hesitated when buying them...i decided to grab them for the 100 airmiles AND for convience, lol, they are so easy, but they are not something i would normally purchase for that price! I am wondering how much longer these deals are going to last...i figure i will spend the 200 this week and should get at least 720!

...i figure i will spend the 200 this week and should get at least 720!

If you feel like pointing me in the direction of any good deals again, I would really appreciate it. It was sure better to get over 350 in miles after driving all that way, than just 250 the time before ( because of the kellogs)

How many weeks has it been - the sign/whiteboard at the door that pin-points how many miles you would have after x number of weeks and what you can get with that many points, might be a hint to how many weeks it's going to run.

Also I forgot to mention I had no idea the rib deals were from an online coupon, but the manager printed me off coupons. (lol then I didn't use them) I was very happy with the service I recieved there.

Though puzzled why the only cashier on a regular till was told to close her till to go on break and they were going to run the store with just one express till open. ( she had to tell 3 seperate people ( inlcluding me) I'll help you here before I go) I was done after that so I dont know how it eventually worked out.

Last week, i only shopped once and spent only 105 and got the 455 airmiles, so this week i am sure i will spend 200....And i know the ribs wasnt the "best" deal, i actually hesitated when buying them...i decided to grab them for the 100 airmiles AND for convience, lol, they are so easy, but they are not something i would normally purchase for that price! I am wondering how much longer these deals are going to last...i figure i will spend the 200 this week and should get at least 720!

Wow...that's awesome--I have to follow this thread!

I'm in Manitoba, are the Safeway Airmiles deals the same here as they are in Ontario?

I have been trying to increase my Airmiles collecting. I just redeemed for $300 in gift cards for Best Western (we're going to Minneapolis in April) and am going to start saving for WDW passes. So...today is my Safeway shopping day. Any tips for collecting? If I spent $200 and got 720 in airmiles I'd be a happy shopper!

Wow...that's awesome--I have to follow this thread!

I'm in Manitoba, are the Safeway Airmiles deals the same here as they are in Ontario?

I have been trying to increase my Airmiles collecting. I just redeemed for $300 in gift cards for Best Western (we're going to Minneapolis in April) and am going to start saving for WDW passes. So...today is my Safeway shopping day. Any tips for collecting? If I spent $200 and got 720 in airmiles I'd be a happy shopper!

There is a "Buy 100, get 100" AM special on right now. I also did another offer out of flyer that included pizza pops, perogies, frozen pizzas for another 100 AM.

Spent $145 Friday night and got 235 AM. I'm in Winnipeg.

Make sure you have signed up for the edirect coupons at safeway.ca.

You can also call 1-800-Safeway and ask if there are any Extreme Airmile specials in the city. There was the "Spend $200 . get $500" for several weeks before Christmas at the Osborne store. Last summer there was a similar one at the Leila store.

I just got home from shopping!

I did two transactions...

The first was $52.00. I bought the 10 items for 100 airmiles, plus toilet paper...so got 142 airmiles for $52.00. I debated spending the extra money to get another 100 bonus (spend $100 get 100) but really didn't need more than what I bought.

Then...I bought 20 boxes of cereal for my breakfast program at school. I am a teacher and do all of the shopping--I have never thought of doing it at Safeway (stupid me) and usually get it at Costco. The cereals were on for $6.99 so I didn't feel like I was overspending just to get the airmiles. I also bought tinfoil because we needed it for the program. The order was $142.00 and a I got 542 airmiles.

So, 684 airmiles makes me happy!

I looked at the ribs...they didn't look very good to me, and I would have been spending the money just to get the airmiles.

So, here's the question...

Do I start saving the airmiles to use for Disney passes (we'll be going in the summer 2012 again) or do I use them for gift cards?

The Best Western Gift cards are 750 Airmiles for $100.00 gift card. When we go to Minneapolis we stay at a BW in Fargo, so that is a good one for us. I've used am for Gap gift cards, and the Running Room. Just wondering if it's a way better value to use it for Disney passes? Has anybody done the math?

Carrie...I didn't realize they do extreme airmiles specials. I'll have to call next week to see if there are any going on!

:)

It is! 20 of the family boxes will last us 10 weeks...we usually go through 2 boxes a week if we do cereal 2 days/week!

:)

People seem to use 14 cents value per mile as a guideline to tell if something is a good deal or not. (You want high numbers not low of course)

Best Western cards are 13 cents a mile

Shell gift cards 11 cents airmile.

Disney World Adult 5 day Base tix 11.7 cents per mile

Disney World Adult 5 day All Inclusive Passes (Waterpark, Hopper and No Expire) 12.3 cents per mile

Universal Tickets Adult 2 day with Park to Park 11.4 cents per mile

Disney and Universal Tickets were figure from their website prices, using American Money at Par to make things simple.

I am using Air Miles for West Edmonton Mall Waterpark this summer . I am getting the pass at 25 cents a mile, so there are hidden gems, and its very worthwhile to do the math!

Hi carina, just making my shopping list and thought of you...here are the airmile offers this week

2 purex tp @ 5.99 each for the 30 pack - 40 airmiles
5 Jumbo cereals @ 6.99 each- 100 airmiles

they have 6 different things on the buy 6/get 30, but hunts puddings are 4 for $5 and u get 30 and they also have the chef boyaredee tins are for the same...

also, green giant veggies,mccain fries (3 for $9), mccain pizza ($6.49) cheemo perogies(3 for $8) , pizza pops/mini pizzas (3 for $9) are buy 10 get 100...

Plus they are tons of others, these are just some of the main ones. Today the sun will be out making the hump a nice drive, rain for the rest of the week..

They are some really great non airmile sales this week, kraft cheese, strawberries, oranges, etc all good deals...I have a feeling this might be our last big week of airmile deals, but am hoping to be wrong...

Thanks for the explanation, Carina! Looks like my Best Western cards aren't a horrible value. Wow...25/mile for the waterpark is great. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for deals like that. I used them for a family membership at the MB Museum. That worked out really well for me--a membership is $100 (sometimes goes on for $80/year, but not when I was wanting it) and it cost me 300 miles (was on special).

People seem to use 14 cents value per mile as a guideline to tell if something is a good deal or not. (You want high numbers not low of course)

Best Western cards are 13 cents a mile

Shell gift cards 11 cents airmile.

Disney World Adult 5 day Base tix 11.7 cents per mile

Disney World Adult 5 day All Inclusive Passes (Waterpark, Hopper and No Expire) 12.3 cents per mile

Universal Tickets Adult 2 day with Park to Park 11.4 cents per mile

Disney and Universal Tickets were figure from their website prices, using American Money at Par to make things simple.

I am using Air Miles for West Edmonton Mall Waterpark this summer . I am getting the pass at 25 cents a mile, so there are hidden gems, and its very worthwhile to do the math!

So...the Edmonton Mall deal is 360 miles for a family pass (valued at $89.95) which = 25 cents a mile. Are you planning on getting two passes to do the waterpark and Galaxyland?

We're going to Calgary and Edmonton this summer and now I'm thinking I'm best to order from Airmiles. I just know that lots of times for parks like this you can get buy 1 get 1 free passes, or buy an adult get a child free...so have to do some searching first!

Am I doing the math wrong?

Adult entry to the Calgary Zoo is $55 (before tax) or 70 airmiles...that means 70cents/mile. For kids it's $22 or 35 airmiles so 63cents/mile. Is that right? I'm wondering if this is one of those cases where you can often find buy 1 get 1 free tickets...

Just thought I'd throw out the idea of flights for Dollar/Air Mile ratio. Most people don't like using AMs for flights, since you pay the taxes/fees, but for me to fly from YYT to MCO (once I take taxes out of the equation) it's about 34.2 cents/mile. Yes, I have to pay a bit ($183.31) but that's a lot better than paying full fare (currently $868.95).

Btw, in case I did my math wrong, here it is.
Full fare = $868.95
Taxes & Fees (through Air Miles) = $183.31
Fare - T&Fs = $685.64 (this is what the Air Miles are actually being redeemed for)
Air Mile cost for Flight = 2006 (I have a BMO gold card, so I get a 25% discount)
Ratio = $685.64/2006 = 0.3418 $/Mile or 34.18 cents/Mile

I am just going to get the waterpark passes.

We are at a wedding in Red Deer in August so I plan to dash up to Edmonton on one of the days we are there, as something fun to do with the kids. I had thought of the Sylvan Lake Water park, but this would make it free, plus I'll pay for one ride on the roller coaster for the 3 of them while we are there.

Normally I would be on the lookout for coupons and deals, but this (airmiles)simplifies it.

Am I doing the math wrong?

Adult entry to the Calgary Zoo is $55 (before tax) or 70 airmiles...that means 70cents/mile. For kids it's $22 or 35 airmiles so 63cents/mile. Is that right? I'm wondering if this is one of those cases where you can often find buy 1 get 1 free tickets...

FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS to get into the zoo? that seems REALLY high? Are you taking season passes prices and comparing it to one day entry at the zoo airmiles?

When I look at the Calgary Zoo webpage it says General Admission is $21
Airmiles is 70m

that's 30c per mile..... a great deal but not quite what you figured

(I did the apples to oranges thing the first time I checked disney tickets)

Just thought I'd throw out the idea of flights for Dollar/Air Mile ratio. Most people don't like using AMs for flights, since you pay the taxes/fees, but for me to fly from YYT to MCO (once I take taxes out of the equation) it's about 34.2 cents/mile. Yes, I have to pay a bit ($183.31) but that's a lot better than paying full fare (currently $868.95).

Btw, in case I did my math wrong, here it is.
Full fare = $868.95
Taxes & Fees (through Air Miles) = $183.31
Fare - T&Fs = $685.64 (this is what the Air Miles are actually being redeemed for)
Air Mile cost for Flight = 2006 (I have a BMO gold card, so I get a 25% discount)
Ratio = $685.64/2006 = 0.3418 $/Mile or 34.18 cents/Mile

"Personally" I would not compare it to the full fare price, but what I would expect to get the flight for on a seat sale. Very few of us would travel full fare, so I would not do the math using full fare prices.

Of course that is a personal thing. Some people may have less flexible dates or need a ticket last minute, in which case flights become a better deal.

I look at the airmiles cost then look up several flights on or near the same date. Then deduct what I would pay out of pocket for taxes, on the airmiles flight THEN do the math

Seat sale = $554 (after taxes )
Taxes & Fees (through Air Miles not the seat sale taxes) = $184.
Fare minus airmiles T&Fs = $370 (see reason I took airmiles taxes off below)
Ratio = 370/2006 = 18.4 cents/Mile

In that situation still not a bad deal. You need to take the Out of Pocket Expense (Airmiles taxes ) off the seat sale price to figure out the deal, because you are paying that out of your pocket either way. But You KEEP the taxes in the seat sale price when you figure it out.

That gives you the net cost of what you are getting with the airmiles ticket vs what you "would" be paying if you booked it without airmiles.

The Difference in the 2 Costs ( airmiles just taxes or seatsale with taxes included) is the TRUE value of the miles as that is how much you would "save"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter