AK late arrival strategy?

Aggiegrl

DIS Veteran
We want to do AK the day after a late night. The plan is to sleep in, head to AK, and stay until a dinner at Boma (to minimize bus transportation from Beach Club).

Kids are teens. Flight of Passage and Everest are their priorities. Other must dos are Festival of the Lion King, Dinosaur, ITTBAB (nostalgia before they close).

I can purchase either Genie+ or an ILL, but I’d prefer not to do both. We are all fine with single rider for Everest.

How would you strategize this? Crowds will be moderate to high in late May.

In this case, my 2 cents is that you use a ILL for FoP, otherwise you could be in line for a very long time. . I never used Single Rider for EE, so I'm not your best help about that. We never use Genie + for AK as there is usually no need for it. Plus, if you're going later in the day, you'll be 'behind the pack' for most rides and attractions. I think this is a solid plan. ...and you're gonna LOVE Boma....oh, wait...that's me. I love Boma! Have a great trip.

In this case, my 2 cents is that you use a ILL for FoP, otherwise you could be in line for a very long time. . I never used Single Rider for EE, so I'm not your best help about that. We never use Genie + for AK as there is usually no need for it. Plus, if you're going later in the day, you'll be 'behind the pack' for most rides and attractions. I think this is a solid plan. ...and you're gonna LOVE Boma....oh, wait...that's me. I love Boma! Have a great trip.

This is where I was leaning too. I was torn between that and doing a Genie+ stack plus FoP right at park close (6 pm). But that makes it difficult to time the ADR.

We’ve had good luck with EE single rider. I usually send the kids on it by themselves and wait outside with an ice cream cone. I don’t remember feeling like it was a long wait, but maybe the ice cream was a distraction. Haha.

This is where I was leaning too. I was torn between that and doing a Genie+ stack plus FoP right at park close (6 pm). But that makes it difficult to time the ADR.

We’ve had good luck with EE single rider. I usually send the kids on it by themselves and wait outside with an ice cream cone. I don’t remember feeling like it was a long wait, but maybe the ice cream was a distraction. Haha.
Oh...you didn't mention ice cream! Sounds like a glorious day!

I would do the ILL for FoP for sure. EE single rider is pretty quick. If you’re interested in it I might suggest a LL for Navii. ITTBAB you can pretty much do anytime as standby. If the FotLK is a priority I would do that as my second LL. Lastly you could always use a LL for Dino if you have availability otherwise the standby hasn’t been to bad. You didn’t mention the safari so I’m assuming that you didn’t want to work that into your plan

We did single rider 4 or 5 times one day during our May trip. The longest we waited any one time was 15ish minutes. Sometimes two of us (there were 4 total, including 2 kids) would end up on the same train. It worked very well for us, especially the 11 year old who wanted to ride it as many times as he could.

I would ILL FoP. Standy times for most of the rides drop by early-mid afternoon, other than Navi (and even then it's usually not terrible). I'd do ITTBAB on your way, in, then try to time of FoP, maybe suck it up and stand in line for Navi at that point, do FoTLK and then spend like 2/3-6 doing Safari and working clockwise. Everest and Dino should have short waits in the last couple of hours before closing.

I would ILL FoP. Standy times for most of the rides drop by early-mid afternoon, other than Navi (and even then it's usually not terrible). I'd do ITTBAB on your way, in, then try to time of FoP, maybe suck it up and stand in line for Navi at that point, do FoTLK and then spend like 2/3-6 doing Safari and working clockwise. Everest and Dino should have short waits in the last couple of hours before closing.
That's exactly what I have mapped out! Thanks!

Navi isn't a deal breaker for us. We are well aware of its ride time vs wait time value. Haha.

I think as long as you do the "big" rides last, in reverse popularity order (excluding your ILL) you will be fine. Do the shows and trails before 4pm, then hit Dinosaur, Everest, Safari and Navi after 4pm.

Best park to end the day with. The only draw back is lots of their incredible entertainment and shows end early to mid afternoon. If you ILL Flight, as many previous posters have suggested, you should have no trouble. We entered at 11 and closed it down at 7, did everything . We got in line for Navi at 6:45 and posted wait was 60 minutes, we were on in 15. We did not use Genie +, and we didn’t single rider Everest. We did Everest and Kali about 5-6 pm. Again, look carefully at showtimes for Finding Nemo, Lion King,Harambe acrobats and drummers, who are wonderful! We did miss one of the trails because it closed early, I believe Jungle Trek..😔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter