AKV and the quarter-mile long hallways

Mississippian

DIS Veteran
Let me say that I am mostly impressed with the AKV concept and am even thinking about a small add-on. But I do have some real concerns about how spread out the resort is.

The Disney FAQ page says it is a 2,500-foot walk between the entrance of the two buildings. By looking at the map of the resort, this puts the length of each of the Kidani Village hallways at more than 1,320 feet, or one-quarter mile. Someone staying in the northeastern-most room of Kidani Village will need to walk almost a mile to eat at Boma. Likewise, someone staying at Jambo will need to walk about three-quarters mile to use the DVC pool. I like walking, but this seems greater than the distance from BCV or BWV to EPCOT!

Couldn't they have built some underground walkways between the buildings that would have reduced these walking distances by about 70 percent?

Other than the bus problem this seems to be the main problem with AKV, and I wonder why they didn't try to address it. Any hopes for a tunnel?

One burns roughly 100 calories for each mile walked. So walking both ways will burn off somewhere between 2 and 4 zebra domes. :rotfl2:

most DVC resorts have an outside jogging or walking area. AKV can't because of the animals. So maybe this is DVC's way to allow walking inside.

I think the main parking will be underneath the building?

certain don't want to be walking underground with car fumes.

but maybe you can cut through the parking?

I had noticed the same thing. we didn't buy into AKV, but I'm really hoping we can stay there for a few days next August. I believe only Jambo will be open then, which is okay by us.

My hope is that they'll build some manner of walkway over the savannah, so that you could go from the far end of Kidani to the Jambo lobby area. Obviously, this walkway would have to be high enough so the giraffes could pass underneath. But think of the views from it! If they don't have such a walkway or tunnel, I don't see us staying at Kidani. I have 4 kids, ages 15 months to 12 years, and I view everything through the lens of pushing a stroller and lugging a diaper bag. I know I won't be doing that forever, but for now, those hallways are just too darn long!

I don't think it is going to be 1320 feet per Kidani side. At 2500 ft from front door of Kidani to front door of Jambo, which looks like that will include 300 or more feet beyond the end of Kidani, means it is in the 1000 to 1100 ft range per each side of Kidani. A long walk yes, but not a killer. Not sure what the "bus problem" is that you mention. Jambo and Kidani will share busses and there will be a new bus stop area in front of Kidani. Parking is to be under Kidani -- actually what would be the ground/first floor, not below ground, although we were told it would be limited, but there will be valet parking at Kidani. They don't do underground tunnels or other underground structures at WDW or much of the area in Florida -- anything that looks like it is below ground level at MK results from raising ground level not going down below it (even the underground employee facility at MK was actually built not beneath but on ground level, and that was after fill was put in there, MK was just built above ground level over it). Walking from Jambo to Kidani pool will obviously be long but they assume most at Jambo will use its pool -- the plan, by giving Kidani restaurant, pool, valet, bus stop, stores, etc., is that the two will mostly operate as stand alone resorts for the guests in each resort because most likely will not do the walk back and forth (or at least not often).

Underground in Florida would mean underwater. :)

Remember, Florida is not too high above sea level and the groundwater table makes most (if not any) structures underground impractical.

The walks don't really look that bad to me (but I like to walk...and we'll have a car if it's raining).

But I will say this discussion reminds me of the ones about the BWV's an their interminable hallways and walks to/from elevators.

But I will say this discussion reminds me of the ones about the BWV's an their interminable hallways and walks to/from elevators.
I've said many times that the people who complain about the halls at BWV must never have stayed at AKL! :lmao:

I know how long those hallways can be after a day at the parks. I've already had the very last room at the end of the hall at AKL and loved it. The walk was long but we saw a LOT of animals!

I've said many times that the people who complain about the halls at BWV must never have stayed at AKL! :lmao:

I know how long those hallways can be after a day at the parks. I've already had the very last room at the end of the hall at AKL and loved it. The walk was long but we saw a LOT of animals!

I agree....I think the walk takes longer (we were about 3/4 down Zebra trail) because we have to constantly stop and gawk out the windows (and at the art exhibits).

It's long walk...but man, we sure did enjoy it!

okay didn't the plans have the main parking lot underneath the AKV.

I know I saw it somewhere.

I don't think it is going to be 1320 feet per Kidani side. At 2500 ft from front door of Kidani to front door of Jambo, which looks like that will include 300 or more feet beyond the end of Kidani, means it is in the 1000 to 1100 ft range per each side of Kidani. A long walk yes, but not a killer. Not sure what the "bus problem" is that you mention. Jambo and Kidani will share busses and there will be a new bus stop area in front of Kidani. Parking is to be under Kidani -- actually what would be the ground/first floor, not below ground, although we were told it would be limited, but there will be valet parking at Kidani. They don't do underground tunnels or other underground structures at WDW or much of the area in Florida -- anything that looks like it is below ground level at MK results from raising ground level not going down below it (even the underground employee facility at MK was actually built not beneath but on ground level, and that was after fill was put in there, MK was just built above ground level over it). Walking from Jambo to Kidani pool will obviously be long but they assume most at Jambo will use its pool -- the plan, by giving Kidani restaurant, pool, valet, bus stop, stores, etc., is that the two will mostly operate as stand alone resorts for the guests in each resort because most likely will not do the walk back and forth (or at least not often).

The distance from the front door of Jambo to the edge of Jambo is SUBSTANTIALLY shorter than half the distance to to front door of Kidani. So if the hallway is only 1,000 feet long then the distance from front door to front door is only 1,500 feet, and Disney has already told us that distance is 2,500 feet. When this thing is completed I will pack my measuring wheel and measure off the hallway, but there is just no way it can be much under a quarter-mile long.

The "bus problem" is that access to all the parks is by a bus ride (three being a long bus ride), which is why they have had so much trouble filling the AKL. Granted that this resort comes closer to being a destination in and of itself than any of the other WDW DVC resorts, but most folks still visit WDW to visit the parks and want easy access, not long bus rides.

Still looking forward to staying a few nights at AKV at some point, although I think I'm a Jambo-type person.

Mississippian, I completely agree with you. That's why we hope to stay there next year, when it'll HAVE to be Jambo. I'm sure the new facilities will be wonderful, but I want to enjoy the lodge, and Boma and Jiko. Since we'll have to book at 7 months, no guarantees, but we're hoping for 3 nights and then we'll move to our real "home" at BCV.

not to hijack I wonder if AKV will have a high amount of split stays?
I have stayed at AKL....
anyway My wife and I were talking and thought about staying at AKV but both agreeded we would only do so for a few nights and than move....
It would seem OP has the same idea....

I have stayed at AKL....
anyway My wife and I were talking and thought about staying at AKV but both agreeded we would only do so for a few nights and than move....

That's our thought, too. With 3 nights at AKL, we figured the only park we would visit from there would be AK for 2 mornings, and spend the rest of our time at the resort. It seems to be too much of a PITA to get to the other parks, especially in our case, when we're going in August and will have to pull at least our two younger children out for afternoon naps.

OTOH, I know some DVC-ers spend much less time in the parks--for those types, I would think AKL could be wonderfully relaxing, even with a long trek from Kidani to Jambo.

I have stayed at AKL....

That is exactly how I plan to stay at AKL and I think a lot of other people will do so as well. This is a great place to stay for visiting ONE park, and for just enjoying the resort. But I think I'd like to spend most of my time closer to EPCOT or the MK.

As long as members are able to specify which building they stay in, then that should take care of SOME of the problem, although I still think a tunnel would have made some sense.

The "bus problem" is that access to all the parks is by a bus ride (three being a long bus ride), which is why they have had so much trouble filling the AKL. Granted that this resort comes closer to being a destination in and of itself than any of the other WDW DVC resorts, but most folks still visit WDW to visit the parks and want easy access, not long bus rides.

This discussion is a long standing one. Define "long bus ride". I don't consider 20 min to MK (the park furthest away, FYI) all that long. If you're an Epcot resort person, who craves a 10 min walk into Epcot....your perspective may differ (which is one of the great things about DVC...different strokes for different folks).

In addition, from what I've seen, the "transportation" issues are largely concerns of those who have not stayed there. Once guests actually get INTO AKL, they typically rave about how efficient the transportation is and how it's not nearly as bad as they thought it would be. The AKL thread (and others) are littered with guests who have made ressies and are worried about transportation, past guest reassuring them, and "present" guests returning and saying "Hey, you were right!! Transportation was great!".

We stayed at AKL several years back and I don't recall any problems with the bus service and that was in Aug. The hallways can be long depending on which room you get. The best savanna veiws are way out at the end so you have to walk a little. Well worth it in my opinion. We stayed at BWV for the first time last Jan and had a room pretty far out but our view was good. I just figure WDW is a walking vacation and try to enjoy the suroundings. You would be suprised how many Mickey heads are out there that many people miss. Try looking for them as you walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter