All Good Things Come To Those That Wait - A Pre-trip Report

That's pretty abnormal for your airfares, isn't it? And no price change for school holidays? That's unheard of here.

I hope you enjoy the AA service. Looks like it will be interesting to see your views of those airports.

Well done for sorting out flights. This trip is so much more real when that happens.

We have also found airfare to be odd recently. We fly to WDW from Oregon this April. And flying Fri-Fri was one of the best prices we could get. Very strange.

Glad you have your flights booked! I know the flights are crazy right now so I was relieved to read that a professional in the airline industry cannot work out the current trend either! After travelling to and from the US at least once a year for the last 16 years I thought I knew the patterns well. This year I was back to jail do not pass go and miss a turn! I act as the family holiday planner and book all the flights etc and I said to Jo I could not understand how Friday flights were cheaper than Tuesday...

I even found BA to be cheaper than VA which appear to be charging crazy prices right now. However I managed to use miles plus money to book a flight.

I have flown to Miami with AA and found them to be a good airline. The seats were nice and wide and I found the service good and staff friendly. I hope you find the same! Miami airport is big! Like Atlanta. I was a rabbit in a headlight as I recall lol.

I'm glad you got your flights sorted. We fly American almost exclusively and really like them. However we have only flown on a plane with video screens once. I hope the new airports work for you. I don't like Chicago its so big. Only been through JFK once so I can't comment.

I'm so glad you got your plane tickets at a good price no matter how they came about!

I detest JFK!!! I flew through there on my way back from Barcelona and it was horrible! I hate for first time visitors to judge the US from their first impression at JFK. You should have plenty of time to get through though. Just know you have to go through Security again after clearing Immigration and Customs.

Jill in CO

After our previous experience with JFK, I can understand that sentiment. As to going through security again after immigration, this is the same in Atlanta where we normally go through.

I'm in...So let me get this straight...You have 3 cruises coming up? When are the other ones taking place...in May as well?

I wish! No just one. Indeed, this year will be a single cruise year as our second trip this year will be to Disneyland and Aulani.

That's pretty abnormal for your airfares, isn't it? And no price change for school holidays? That's unheard of here.

I hope you enjoy the AA service. Looks like it will be interesting to see your views of those airports.

Well done for sorting out flights. This trip is so much more real when that happens.

I think we figured it out. We have noticed that the flights are extremely busy on the airline that I work for as well around this period. We were talking about this at lunch yesterday. I think with Easter being so late this year, there are not a lot of school days between the end of the Easter break and the three day weekend at the beginning of May. So I think people may take their kids out of school for those few days to get cheaper prices for holidays.

I will approach the flights with an open mind. Ultimately the only thing that matters is that they get us there safely.

We have also found airfare to be odd recently. We fly to WDW from Oregon this April. And flying Fri-Fri was one of the best prices we could get. Very strange.

There is definitely something strange going on.

Glad you have your flights booked! I know the flights are crazy right now so I was relieved to read that a professional in the airline industry cannot work out the current trend either! After travelling to and from the US at least once a year for the last 16 years I thought I knew the patterns well. This year I was back to jail do not pass go and miss a turn! I act as the family holiday planner and book all the flights etc and I said to Jo I could not understand how Friday flights were cheaper than Tuesday...

I even found BA to be cheaper than VA which appear to be charging crazy prices right now. However I managed to use miles plus money to book a flight.

I have flown to Miami with AA and found them to be a good airline. The seats were nice and wide and I found the service good and staff friendly. I hope you find the same! Miami airport is big! Like Atlanta. I was a rabbit in a headlight as I recall lol.

Virgin Atlantic's prices have been insane the last couple of years. From Manchester, BA is not really an option. So we have been flying with Delta mainly. I feel quite comfortable around Atlanta airport so I hope I will be fine with Miami. The good thing is we will already have cleared immigration and customs at JFK so it will be a question of getting off the plane, get our luggage and find the exit. We already used the train from the airport to the hotel in December so that should not present any problems.

I'm glad you got your flights sorted. We fly American almost exclusively and really like them. However we have only flown on a plane with video screens once. I hope the new airports work for you. I don't like Chicago its so big. Only been through JFK once so I can't comment.

I am sure everything will work out. Without the flights, that trip would have been cancelled. So I am relieved that we found them when we did.

Corinna

By our standards, this is a very straightforward trip with only two hotels involved. The majority of the trip will be spent on the Disney Wonder.

We will spend one night in Miami before the cruise. We won’t actually have much time there as our flight does not arrive until 21:15 and by the time we have our luggage and made our way from the airport to the hotel, we will be ready for our bed. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami/Downtown before our cruise in December and liked it. It is nothing fancy, but it is clean and comfortable and the closest hotel to the port. We had a great view of the port in December and it was great to be able to see the Magic come in during the night and to see the Magic first thing in the morning when getting up. I have requested a high floor with a view of the port. I am in no illusion that I will sleep beyond 5:00 AM that first morning between the change of time zone and the excitement. So it will be nice to be able to watch the Wonder come in if I am awake anyway. I have found out that there is a Walgreens only a couple of blocks away so I will probably head over there at some point to get some wine for the cruise and some orange soda. The hotel also has a nice pool so we may have a swim first thing in the morning. When the port opens, it is only a short taxi ride across.

After the cruise, we will have 2 nights in San Diego. We spent a few nights in San Diego in 2006 and stayed at the Handlery Hotel and we really liked this. So we have decided to stay there this time as well. We had originally looked at hotels within the Intercontinental Hotel Group as I can usually get travel industry rates for them, but even with those, the prices were sky high. I got a good deal through a UK tour operator for the Handlery Hotel and the best thing is that I only had to pay £1.00 deposit and the balance is not due until the end of April.

The Handlery Hotel is a relatively small hotel, but has a restaurant, lounge, pool and hot tub. It also offers a shuttle service to Old Town, SeaWorld and San Diego zoo, which is very handy. The hotel was recently renovated and looks stunning. We are also only 4 miles away from the port and about 7 miles away from the airport so this makes it really convenient. I am really looking forward to staying there.

Your hotels look nice. I'll be curious to see what the Handlery looks like from your pictures.

San Diego airport is tiny so don't arrive there too early.

Your San Diego hotel looks really nice.

Hotels look great! San Diego is wonderful. Seaworld was brilliant there. We regretted not going to the zoo I hear it's very good.

Both look nice and comfortable, but that second one looks downright charming :)
]

It is and it is also in a perfect location.

San Diego airport is tiny so don't arrive there too early.

Your San Diego hotel looks really nice.

Thanks for the tip. How long beforehand would you recommend we arrive? The hotel is beautiful.

Hotels look great! San Diego is wonderful. Seaworld was brilliant there. We regretted not going to the zoo I hear it's very good.

I really want to visit San Diego Zoo at some stage, but with the time I have, I can only do either San Diego Zoo or SeaWorld. SeaWorld wins that one.

Corinna

San Diego Zoo is amazing. So is Balboa Park; especially at the weekend.

And if it came down to a choice between Old Town SD or Seaport Village, go to Seaport Village.

San Diego Zoo is amazing. So is Balboa Park; especially at the weekend.

And if it came down to a choice between Old Town SD or Seaport Village, go to Seaport Village.

We have been to Balboa Park in 2012 and loved it. It is definitely on the list for a return. I have to have a closer look at Seaport Village. We should have time for both Old Town and Seaport Village. Thanks for the tips.

We were literally at the gate within 15 mins of arriving at the airport. No queues anywhere and there are hardly any shops.

Thanks. I may see an extra hour in bed in my future.

Corinna

We love Old Town for the many choices of Mexican restaurants, but have enjoyed Seaport Village for the shopping opportunities and ocean view walk. However, if you're hungry I would pick Old Town Over Seaport Village knowing your tastes. There is much more seafood type restaurants there. The Mexican Food at Old Town can't be beat!

We love Old Town for the many choices of Mexican restaurants, but have enjoyed Seaport Village for the shopping opportunities and ocean view walk. However, if you're hungry I would pick Old Town Over Seaport Village knowing your tastes. There is much more seafood type restaurants there. The Mexican Food at Old Town can't be beat!

Old Town will definitely feature. I need my freshly made Tortillas as Cafe Coyote. We may stop at Seaport Village on the first day.

Corinna

When we booked this cruise, Key West was my least favourite port from this itinerary and of all the ports I have visited, I can only think of Nassau that I like less. At one point I was actually thinking of staying on the ship as Graham was thinking about a bike or kayaking excursion. He then changed his mind about this and did some research. He had initially looked at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, but then found a fantastic half-day snorkeling excursion.

The dock for the company that we are going with is very close to the port. They operate catamarans that feature a staircase that can be lowered to make access to the sea easy once we get to the snorkeling site. We are heading to the only living coral reef in the continental United States. If we are lucky, we will get to see tropical fish, hard and soft corals, sponges, snails, jellyfish, anemones, crabs, lobsters, rays, sea turtles, nurse sharks, and other sea life. I have seen photos and videos and it looks absolutely stunning. The coral reef is around 7 miles off the coast of Key West. The excursion includes unlimited water and soda for the whole of the trip and also complimentary beer and wine on the trip back.

We should be back at the port for some lunch and then we will head out again. I want to take some photos at the Southernmost Point and this is only a 30-minute walk from the port. On the way back, I am hoping to get some Key Lime Pie before returning to the ship. I am getting rather excited about our day in Key West.

Sounds great i'll look forward to the photos.

There will be plenty. I will take my waterproof camera to the snorkeling excursion, but will probably switch this for my DSLR when we go back to the ship for some lunch.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter