All New Atlantic Canada Thread....

For a 4:30 pm direct flight we couldn't pre-clear in Halifax. We got there at 2:45 and were told Customs was closed that we had to go through two screenings in Halifax and then again in Orlando. After the first screening we were herded upstairs to a holding room to be patted down and all of our hand luggage gone through. No explanation other than Customs closes at 5:00.
After that the trip was great, couldn't aske for better weather. I want to go back now.

Welcome back!

That sucks about customs. If they close at 5 and you were there before 3 I don't understand why they wouldn't clear you. We fly out at 2:55 next week and I hope we can clear customs in Halifax.

:scared1::scared1: What time does customs open!? Our flight will probably be at 6:30 am....I didn't realize they kept bankers hours!

Last time we arrived at 4:30am checked in and went through security at 5:00 am. You could go earlier .... but remember this. Anything you buy (to eat) after you get through security is expensive. So eat before you get to the airport (or before you pass security)

How did I miss this thread?? My name is Oliver from St. John's, Newfoundland and I'm a Disney-aholic!! Have been going every year for the past 7 years. Was staying off site until last year when I stayed at SSR and I'll never stay off site again. Will be staying at BWV this time around. Anyone stay there yet?? pro's vs. cons?? Also will be doing a few rounds of golf while I'm down there,so if anyone is looking for a fellow Maritimer to tee it up with let me know.:thumbsup2

Welcome.

We stayed at BWV back in 2006 and loved it. The hallways are quite long but that was not such a big deal for us. We loved the pool and being on the boardwalk was fun.
Have fun golfing. DH and I went without the kids a couple of years ago and golfed every day. A couple of tips if you have never golfed at Disney or Florida for the mater. Don't go looking for lost balls. Keep all your food and personal items locked up while not in use. The raccoons will come right into your cart and take off with whatever they can get their little paws on. Then try and figure out if they can eat it once they are in the woods.
These guys are in the woods.
101_8743.jpg

and these guys are in the water
101_8732-1.jpg

We never felt unsafe because of these guys. Such a beautiful course and everyone we got paired with was fun and interesting to talk to.
Have an amazing trip.

Welcome.

We stayed at BWV back in 2006 and loved it. The hallways are quite long but that was not such a big deal for us. We loved the pool and being on the boardwalk was fun.
Have fun golfing. DH and I went without the kids a couple of years ago and golfed every day. A couple of tips if you have never golfed at Disney or Florida for the mater. Don't go looking for lost balls. Keep all your food and personal items locked up while not in use. The raccoons will come right into your cart and take off with whatever they can get their little paws on. Then try and figure out if they can eat it once they are in the woods.
These guys are in the woods.
101_8743.jpg

and these guys are in the water
101_8732-1.jpg

We never felt unsafe because of these guys. Such a beautiful course and everyone we got paired with was fun and interesting to talk to.
Have an amazing trip.

I don't think I'll mind the long hallways either as I spend 4-5 hrs a day walking. Thanks for the tips on the golf critters and things:eek:. Lucky for me I don't lose too many balls.

Hi, I am Charleyann and DS son 14 years old love Disney. We have been 8 times. This year we discovered cruising and love it more then the parks now. At least for the moment. We'll see after we miss our first Christmas away from Disney since 2005!:scared1:

So this Christmas we are doing two cruises. One Disney and One Carnival. (I love Carnival too!) The two can't be compared....Two different experiences that both my son and I love !

We are going Starting with a Christmas Cruise on Carnival on Dec 21/2010 to Aruba, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Ocho Rios, and Curacoa

Then Disney Cruise to Nassau and Castaway Cay !!!!!

So excited , can't wait .....Flights booked out of Moncton on Continental for Dec. 19th for $290 !!!!!:cool1:

Charleyann

Thanks for all your advice on the Continental flights! I'm planning on the flight with the three hour layover to give us some wiggle room

That's good layover time. It's been my experience a few times flying Continenental through Newark that security in Newark is AWFUL. It's a better experience now that you can clear customs in Halifax but it's still a bigger ordeal than I find at other airports.

I deliberately booked this airline, having flown with them many times before. I really like Continental, although their baggage charge - not so much! Being able to clear customs in Halifax is the BIG plus for us, as we are travelling with a couple young'uns. Our last trip seemed like it allowed plenty of time between flights, but not enough time to drag, flying through Montreal and returning through Toronto. Picture a group of 8, ages 3 - 89, literally sprinting/wheeling as fast as we could. Some lucky individuals were able to snag some Tim Hortons sandwiches, which were shared with the group as supper AFTER boarding. We barely arrived at our gates both times at "final boarding" announcement.

Hey, I don't like to sit around an airport anymore than the next guy, but we felt we were cutting things way too close for comfort. I don't mind clearing customs in Halifax on our return, as long as we can do the same on departure!

OK, call me crazy, others have! I am stoked that today marked our 200 days before departure milestone, which means tomorrow we slip UNDER the 200 day count. Yes, we do pay attention to those milestones. They are what help us get through April snows, and keep us focused on the good things in life. I loved reading about Seaworld & Busch Gardens, and now WDW's offer of free tickets for stranded European travellers. What a great gesture. Wish Disney had done it first, but kudos to them for jumping on the bandwagon. My heart goes out to folks who've been stranded by the volcanic cloud.

Yes, really. Having extra "vacation days" seems like everyone's dream, but economic reality can definitely bite. Gettimg a break on entertainment for your family for a few more days might just take the edge off someone's anxiety at overspending on extra hotel, food, and other costs, while possibly losing income for the duration. Good for ALL the companies which are trying to help travellers over this hump. I hope some extra "magical memories" can be made during an extremely inconvenient time. It is not a situation I'd wish for my family! Here's to everyone making it home safely and being able to enjoy their unplanned bonus days. :hug:

OK, call me crazy, others have! I am stoked that today marked our 200 days before departure milestone, which means tomorrow we slip UNDER the 200 day count. Yes, we do pay attention to those milestones. They are what help us get through April snows, and keep us focused on the good things in life.

Only 4 more days and I hit that same milestone! And I started counting at 400 plus!!! You're right...it's definitley what keeps me going!

Thanks for the feedback on Continental too :)

Hi...I'm from St. John's, Newfoundland. Heading back to WDW this August.
As you can see from my sig I've been many times but this is my 2nd time onsite and 1st time at AKL...can't wait. Heads up - AC has an amazing seat sale on now - $149 ea. way from YYT to MCO...$427 taxes in return...amazing. See ya real soon!:yay:

Our flight leaves at 6 a.m. from Moncton (so I believe we're supposed to be there by 4 or something - although last time I flew domestic, no one even started working until almost 5:00). To the best of my knowledge, we need to go through customs in Newark and we only have 1 hour and 23 minutes to make our connection. We're leaving in 6 days and I'm a ball of nerves about the flights, customs, security and connections, especially after getting up in the middle of the night with a 4 year old and dragging all our luggage and her carseat through Newark.

Any tips? This is our very first trip.

We flew from Moncton and connected in Newark. Our experience was great - no hastles at all. For a 6am flight we arived at 4am - were able to check our bags at 430pm and relaxed while we waited for the airport to wake up. No restaurant service that early - so be prepared for some quit time.

Negotiating through Newark was a breeze - much easier than out times through Montreal or Toronto. You will clear customs in Newark - but again - we had no delays at all.

The only issue we had was that Newark is notorious for delays - so while we made it to our flight on time - we had t wait on the tarmac for 30-45 minutes - but we still managed to arrive in Orlando on-time :confused3

We flew from Moncton and connected in Newark. Our experience was great - no hastles at all. For a 6am flight we arived at 4am - were able to check our bags at 430pm and relaxed while we waited for the airport to wake up. No restaurant service that early - so be prepared for some quit time.

Negotiating through Newark was a breeze - much easier than out times through Montreal or Toronto. You will clear customs in Newark - but again - we had no delays at all.

The only issue we had was that Newark is notorious for delays - so while we made it to our flight on time - we had t wait on the tarmac for 30-45 minutes - but we still managed to arrive in Orlando on-time :confused3

Ack! Less than 2 days until we leave!

Do you remember if you flew into and out of the same terminal? Did you need to take any transportation to another area to clear customs?

Allegiant has fares for $20.00 southbound from Bangor in May and June and $60.00 on the northbound trip. Total with taxes is $111.38.

Hi, I'm from Miramichi, NB...I can't believe I found an Atlantic Canada thread. We are going in December and I can't wait! It will be our little girl's first visit, she turns 2 3 weeks before we go.

Hi, I'm from the Shelburne County area in NS, right on the southern tip. We've been to Disney many times, and have done many connection scenarios but like the Washington connection best, although we couldn't come back through there in March when we were down, had to go through Chicago.
This fall my son and another family are planning to drive down in Oct. I told them I'd fly down and meet them there. :laughing:
Anyone got any tips for the drive down. We did it once when the kids were little about 17 years ago but have flown since.

Hi, I'm from the Shelburne County area in NS, right on the southern tip. We've been to Disney many times, and have done many connection scenarios but like the Washington connection best, although we couldn't come back through there in March when we were down, had to go through Chicago.
This fall my son and another family are planning to drive down in Oct. I told them I'd fly down and meet them there. :laughing:
Anyone got any tips for the drive down. We did it once when the kids were little about 17 years ago but have flown since.

Hi!! Small world! I lived in Birchtown nearly 30 years ago (gasp!) while my dad was stationed in Shelburne!

Can I ask why you like Washington the best? I'm still waffling about which airline to book with and the connection has a lot to do with my decision making!

Hi!! Small world! I lived in Birchtown nearly 30 years ago (gasp!) while my dad was stationed in Shelburne!

Can I ask why you like Washington the best? I'm still waffling about which airline to book with and the connection has a lot to do with my decision making!

We like Washington because it's basically half way there so no back tracking to Toronto or where ever and when you get off the plane you don't leave security. The terminal is a long corridor with gates and fast food/shops etc so you just have to walk to your gate. No having to go through security again and no buses like in Newark.
That is using United Airlines.

Great news for all of us Nov-travelling compulsives who pounce on every new factoid! I am keeping my fingers & toes crossed that the Osborne Lights will star before Nov 19 again this year. We have seen them several times and couldn't wait to experience them with our entire family in 2008. Of course, that was the year they didn't start until Nov 20, just a few days after we came home.

Last year the start date was moved back to Nov 10 again, so I am hoping for the best.

Tomorrow we are gathering to look at the hours and maybe select a date for MVMCP. :goodvibes

Great news for all of us Nov-travelling compulsives who pounce on every new factoid! I am keeping my fingers & toes crossed that the Osborne Lights will star before Nov 19 again this year. We have seen them several times and couldn't wait to experience them with our entire family in 2008. Of course, that was the year they didn't start until Nov 20, just a few days after we came home.

Last year the start date was moved back to Nov 10 again, so I am hoping for the best.

Tomorrow we are gathering to look at the hours and maybe select a date for MVMCP. :goodvibes

We're hoping for the same thing this year with the Osborne Lights. We've been fortunate to see them two different years and thought last year we would miss them but as you said they moved the date back to the 10th. Another family trip this year with some newbies and hope we'll be able to see them before we leave for home on Nov. 14th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter