Am I crazy? Would you try this?

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
For our anniversary in early October, I booked tickets for dh and I to go to Vegas to see Garth Brooks in concert. I am surprising dh and he is going to be over the moon. :cloud9: The concert is Thursday, Oct 3 but when I was unsure which concert date to choose, I took several additional days off work. I don't have to return until Wed, Oct 9.
I could extend our stay out west but we have been to AZ, NV, UT a few times already. We aren't really into Vegas so we wouldn't be staying there anymore than we have to. (We're arriving on Oct 1 to give us 2 days to shake the jet lag before the concert.)

By coincidence, we could sail a quickie 3 night the next day (Oct 4-7) on either the Magic from PE or the Wish from PC. We've never sailed the Wish and even though we've sailed the Magic many times, it's stopping at the new island so that would be something different and new to us. There are flights on multiple airlines that leave Vegas around 1am (after the concert) that would get us to MCO around 10:30am, 11:30am or noon. This means pretty much sleeping on the plane (or trying to) which would be pretty miserable for such a long flight with connections. At least American has an option that connects in Miami so if necessary, (as in if we miss our connection) we could rent a car and drive from Miami to PC, if we're able to sleep on the plane and feel safe to drive.

As I type all of this out, it feels like it might be a little less crazy to choose the Magic out of PE and just have a non-stop flight to MIA to simplify things. It arrives at 9:20am.

We normally fly the day before a cruise so this all seems very risky to me. If it all works out, it could go fine but trip insurance would be a must.

I'm all for maximizing usage of time (and for more cruises) but your current plan would stress me out way too much. It feels like it would take away from the concert to then have to head to the airport after, and then of course if something went wrong travel-wise you'd have a very narrow margin of error to make it on the ship. That's too much for my own risk tolerance but of course, you should do what feels right to you.

I'm not sure where you're coming from but since you're referring to NV as 'out west' I'm going to assume it's further east. Have you considered adding on a trip to Disneyland instead? Not sure how much of your love of DCL is Disney vs Cruise, but Disneyland at Halloween time is always a lot of fun :)

That seems way too close especially when concerts can run long, getting out of the arena to make to airport in time. Plus mechanical or weather delays with the plane.

I would second going to Disneyland or Universal Hollywood- they have HHN like the Orlando park does if you’re into that.

It is a risk and I would discuss it with your husband. You both have to be on the same page for this.
If one of you doesn't handle risk very well, then don't do it.

Everything has to go as planned. Not just the flight, but the concert can't run late, no traffic or other delays to the airport and from the airport.

I wouldn't count on sleeping on the plane, unless you are one of those people who can sleep anywhere at anytime. I once did a flight from LAX to NYC in Economy overnight, and maybe got 1 hour of sleep. Up to one hour after taking off and before landing the flight attendants are busy working and preparing for landing, lots of moving around so not ideal if you are a light sleeper. If you are used to using sleeping pills that might work, but do not try it for the first time if you do not know how your body will react.
If you want to make this work, fly first class, have a direct flight. Hand luggage only.

And also have a very relaxed day before the concert, otherwise you will be even more knackered.

Last edited:

This sounds exhausting and way too much risk for me!

I’d probably go to Disneyland for a few days instead, much closer and don’t have to worry so much about flights being delayed/having to miss part of the concert.

I’d do it. But I love “crazy” and dh is always up for my ideas. I’d forget MCO. Because the getting to Canaveral part would be the nail biter. Once you’re in Miami, it’s easy to get to the port quickly. The concert should be about 3 hours, right? Let’s say it worst case scenario it ends at 12. Can you get to the airport in time for a 1 am takeoff? I’ve never flown into or out of Vegas so I’m not sure what the airport is like. I assume it would be pretty empty at that time of night. Making the Vegas flight would be the unknown for me. But you could even take a flight the next morning from vegas and still make it. We’ve boarded DCL in Miami at like 3:30 before. I’m pretty sure we were last on the ship that day but no problem just be prepared to travel light because if you are “late,” you carry (or roll) your own luggage onto the ship. What time is sailaway? I am assuming like 4:30?

Dh is completely "parked out". Our last visit to WDW was 2021 and we both agreed the crowds were just too much and not sure we'd ever go back, maybe someday if we have grandchildren.

We live in South Jersey and fly out of Philadelphia. The concert starts at 8:00 pm and most reports I've read say it lasts around 2.5 hours. It's a very small venue at a hotel on the strip; it only holds around 4300 people, not some huge stadium. (That is only 300 more than the Fantasy/Dream capacity) We'll be staying at the same hotel. We could nap before the concert and have everything packed up and ready. It would be carry ons for sure. Just roll up a few shirts, a few pairs of shorts, a toothbrush & hairbrush and we're good.

He has told me before I am crazy. :laughing:

That was when our kids were young and I booked a 1 night stay in Orlando. No parks, just relax time.
I found flights to MCO for $29 each way with early Sat am departure and evening return on Sunday. Our kids spent the weekend with my parents. He said it was nuts to only go for 1 night until we got to the pool with the waterfall. Then he said it was the greatest idea ever.

He said again I was crazy when the Magic first sailed from NYC. They had 2 night cruises to no where, Fri-Sun. He opted out but ds23, then 12, wanted to come. It was a short train ride to NY then taxi to port, very stress free.
We have great memories of sailing past the Statue of Liberty with seemingly the ENTIRE ship all on the starboard side :eek: taking pics and so many people on land taking pics of our beautiful ship. I was able to book a placeholder for Alaska. To me, all's well that ends well.

This time, I'm not so sure he'd say that. I could just cancel those extra days off and consider seeing a concert in Vegas as crazy enough. I'll have to sleep on this for a while.

That would be cutting it real close, and that's assuming there are no flight or road delays.

If you were sailing out of San Diego, then maybe. But even then, I still would need a buffer day for travel or I'd just go to Disneyland or Disney World.

It is insanely easy to get from FLL to Port Everglades. If you had to fly in on embarkation day it would be the port I would be the least nervous about. Are there any direct flights from Vegas to Fort Lauderdale?

Just throwing this out there...October is still hurricane season. You might want to spring for travel insurance.

If you have the option of simply rescheduling those remaining vacation days, that is probably a better idea due to the decreased risk. But if you can't, then in your shoes I'd rather cruise than not cruise during my vacation time. Just be sure that you can financially and emotionally handle the possibility of missing it if plans don't work out.

I often fly in morning of the cruise, and due to my hectic schedule & stressful life, I often end up staying up packing all or most of the night before, anyway. It doesn't keep me from enjoying my cruise.

It depends on your personality. If you or your husband is one of the "I only fly in the day before the cruise because anything else makes me anxious" types, then obviously no. There are a lot of those on these boards and they will all say no, which is good for them. But if you're not the nervous type, then sure, go for it. Sounds like a great way to maximize vacation time.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to the Vegas Airport? It's awful. We've never been in or out quickly, usually due to traffic or insane TSA lines. And we have precheck! We live in CA, so it's a very quick flight and we've been there at all times of day or night. Late night is one of the worst times, unless it's a weekday.

As someone else pointed out, it's hurricane season, so that would factor into my decision as well. Is the Wonder in San Diego at that time? That I would do.

I haven't flown in/out of Vegas since 2006 so can't remember how big it is - how long before your flight would you need to get to the airport? My biggest concern with your plan would be getting from the concert to the airport in time for the 1am flight.

I don't think you can count on getting sleep on the flight, so assume you'll be tired on embarkation day! In which case, I think the familiarity of the Magic would help - that way you won't feel like you have to see everything on a new ship and can relax / sleep in the next morning.

My DH often says I'm crazy when I plan our trips, but fortunately he enjoys going along with my mad ideas. Definitely make sure you have trip insurance and have fun!

I'll start by saying I don't have an answer for you. That is a bit risky but could definitely work if all went well and would be an awesome trip. With that said I'm laughing because I was just toying with the idea of combining a trip to Vegas with a short Disney Cruise. Great Minds! :laughing:

The release of the summer 25 cruises has me underwhelmed (only 7 nights from FL are on the Treasure, which I have no interest in) and that is when we will be celebrating our 30th anniversary. I want a nice, long, sort of special trip that summer. We love Vegas but usually do just a quick 3 or 4 night trip when we can work it in. So, I was considering a 4 or 5 night Disney Cruise, then hop a plan to Vegas for a few nights. It wouldn't be as time sensitive as your option though.

Keep us updated what you decide. :thumbsup2

I wouldn’t try to fit in the cruise, but wanted to chime in to say the Garth concert is incredible! We saw him in Dec at Caesar’s and the venue is intimate and he puts on a helluva show. Would definitely go again.

I would worry about making the 1am flight. Say the 8pm show goes to 11pm. Then you need time to exit theater, get to airport, go thru security, etc. I'm sure it's not as bad leaving a concert in Vegas...but I just think about how long it takes us to get out of the theater and get out of crowded parking lots when we attend concerts at home.

There are sooooo many things you could do over the weekend in Vegas, I'm not sure why you'd throw a cross-country flight for a cruise into the mix. It'll make quite a story if it all works out, but it might end up being all a sleep-deprived whir in the end.

There are no non stop flights to FLL, MIA would have to be close enough then Uber to PE.
There is a non stop to MCO but it leaves much later with a 4pm arrival time.

There are no DCL cruises out of Cali at that time.

Trip ins is always a must for us. Stuff happens.
Ironically, we started to fly to FL the day prior so we don’t have to wake up so early on day of sailing, so we get plenty of sleep. No anxiety.
We have had to cancel a cruise the day before sailing, while already in WDW, when a huge tree fell on our house. I know that disappointment too well.

Have you figured out the travel times to the airports and cruise terminals? And any layover times?

I did a little calculations. I see your concert is at the Caesars Palace. A google maps shows about 20 minutes from there to the airport. So lets say the concert is over at 10:30. With luck you can get back to your room, collect luggage and get to a WAITING car for transportation to the airport by 11:00 pm. I would then figure on 30 minute to the airport just for a little extra time making it 11:30 when you reach the airport. I also saw a flight leaving Las Vegas at 1:20 on American for Miami so that would give you enough time to make that flight.

Now if you wanted to go on to Orlando I see the American flight shows an arrival time in Orlando as 11:20 with only a 40 minute connection time in Miami which is way to short for my tastes.

Then you want to figure about an hour from the airport to the port which after deplaning and getting to transportation you may get to the port about 1pm. That would still be a good arrival time.

If EVERYTHING goes as planned, you can make this. But it would be TIGHT!!!!
And this is not figuring in ANY delays!

Now if you were to go with with the cruise out of PE, your flight into Miami is scheduled to arrive at 9:20 which would then give you plenty of time to make it to the port.

So it would be doable if you wanted to push it. But I do think it would be very stressful!

Have you figured out the travel times to the airports and cruise terminals? And any layover times?

I did a little calculations. I see your concert is at the Caesars Palace. A google maps shows about 20 minutes from there to the airport. So lets say the concert is over at 10:30. With luck you can get back to your room, collect luggage and get to a WAITING car for transportation to the airport by 11:00 pm. I would then figure on 30 minute to the airport just for a little extra time making it 11:30 when you reach the airport. I also saw a flight leaving Las Vegas at 1:20 on American for Miami so that would give you enough time to make that flight.

Now if you wanted to go on to Orlando I see the American flight shows an arrival time in Orlando as 11:20 with only a 40 minute connection time in Miami which is way to short for my tastes.

Then you want to figure about an hour from the airport to the port which after deplaning and getting to transportation you may get to the port about 1pm. That would still be a good arrival time.

If EVERYTHING goes as planned, you can make this. But it would be TIGHT!!!!
And this is not figuring in ANY delays!

Now if you were to go with with the cruise out of PE, your flight into Miami is scheduled to arrive at 9:20 which would then give you plenty of time to make it to the port.

So it would be doable if you wanted to push it. But I do think it would be very stressful!
Yes, it would be tight. As I typed out my original post, I realized that flying non stop to Miami and sailing out of PE would simplify things a lot. We have TSA Precheck and would use only carry ons to save time.
I’m not 100% convinced I want this much stress, all for 3-nts on the Magic. I’m generally of the belief that vacations should reduce stress, not increase it.

I’m on the fence and keep going from one side to another, depending on how adventurous I’m feeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter