Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

Hoping this won't come across the wrong way because I always look forward to seeing new things at WDW and Pandora is no exception, however . . .

I am a bit puzzled by the choice of Pandora as a new land at AK. I mean Avatar came out in 2009 and while we went to see it when it came out, I honestly haven't given it a second thought since then. I really don't even remember much about it. Is there a sequel coming out or something? My 15 year old son loves all the Star Wars movies and other action/SI movies but he could care less about Avatar.

While I will be excited to see what it is all about when we are there in July, I can't say that I'm excited because of the Avatar theme per se, more just because it's new. It just seems like an incredibly outdated option to me. I understand that it is probably more difficult to come up with a new theme for AK but it just seems odd to me.

This is what I said when it was first announced. Avatar? Really? I don't recall it being a blockbuster and I never even saw it. But - I'm all for some new rides at AK. It will be interesting to see how they combine the theming with the rest of the park.

I am actually amazed that folks don't see the perfect fit with the message from Avatar and the placement of it in AK. Or how building the spectacularly visual world is an Imagineers dream come true. The movie it's based on is of little importance really, just that it's got a huge opportunity for a beautiful land and a very valid conservation message.

Never seen the movie and don't care to. My friend saw it and enjoyed it because it was in 3d and the visuals were beautiful.

I was really hoping Disney would have sued the space for a more animal themed area like mythical beasts or Lion kind or something along those lines.

That said I would check it out when I get back to Disney. I'm sure it will be pretty.
Can't one view the creatures from Avatar as mythical beasts?

I'm puzzled by people saying they never saw it (understandable, I haven't seen some classics or blockbusters) or that they don't know anyone that saw it..just strange. Maybe because it came out in 09 and some people have new friends and Avatar doesn't get brought up in conversation? There's no way it's the biggest grossing movie of all time and no one has seen it lol

And I do agree that seeing it in 3D on the big screen is what drew a lot in. It was one of the first movies to really capture what a true 3D movie should be. I'm interested in seeing how the sequels come out.

But Tom Sawyer is a classic novel everyone has to read in high school (maybe not everyone, but a lot of people). I'm sure most Americans know the story of Jim and Tom riding on a raft on the Mississippi River heading north to freedom.

I think you give the American public far too much credit. People may know of Tom Sawyer, but read it? It seems like nobody reads the classics anymore (particularly the controversial ones). I bet most people think that TSI is based on an old Disney movie.

And I do agree that seeing it in 3D on the big screen is what drew a lot in. It was one of the first movies to really capture what a true 3D movie should be. I'm interested in seeing how the sequels come out.

Sure the 3D visuals were a big part of it, however people are acting like James Cameron is some hack director or something. He's James Cameron. He's responsible for the TWO highest grossing movies of all time. Avatar was nominated for Best Picture for crying out loud. I mean, I totally understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Most of my friends didn't like it either (mostly for the kinds of reasons mentioned by cobright), but a lot of the reaction to it here makes it sound like it's some B Movie Disney scooped up the right to for cheap. Avatar was a tremendous film, and I suspect it's more well liked by casual movie goers who don't pontificate on the Internet (see Star Wars prequels).

We are going in June and none of my family (me, wife, 4 kids, 4 other members) have seen the movie. We are excited to see something new at WDW but we are going to have no idea what it is about.

I can't get past 20 minutes of the movie, I think it's just too much CGI for me. I am looking forward to the attractions though. Not sure why, lol. Something new I guess.

One thing I find funny is when people post "I don't know anyone who saw it" or "everyone I know hates it". Do you really go up to everyone you know and ask them if they saw Avatar or hated it/liked it? I know it's just a figure of speech and there's no way you honestly don't know a single person who saw the film or don't know a single person who liked it, but that saying is overblown lol

I thought the movie was pretty awful and actually left in the middle to go see a different movie. It also doesn't seem particularly Disney-ish to me and I would have preferred a different focus. That being said, I'm hoping that Disney does a great job with the new land in Animal Kingdom.

I thought the movie was pretty awful and actually left in the middle to go see a different movie. It also doesn't seem particularly Disney-ish to me and I would have preferred a different focus. That being said, I'm hoping that Disney does a great job with the new land in Animal Kingdom.
Thankfully, WDW isn't doing the movie, just using the "world" in which it's set.

I have to say I have never seen Avatar or know anything about it. Will I go see the new land in AK? Heck yeah ! I'm very excited to go and cant wait. I think we will watch the movie before we go so we at least know about Avatar

FYI, for those interested in watching Avatar, there are three cuts, the original theatrical version, an extended cut which had a theatrical release, and then the extra extended cut. The Blu-ray has all three, but I would recommend the second version the most. It adds a few key things that give the story a little more background, but does not go overboard. I feel the third cut goes to far since it not only adds stuff but re-edits some of the existing material. The extended cut that got the theatrical release is the perfect version, IMO.

I've never seen Avatar. It doesn't interest me at all. I think the Pandora area will be pretty, but I won't have anything to connect it to.

i know a lot of people saw Avatar, but I feel that many of these people are not theme-park types. My dad, for instance, probably loved Avatar, but he wouldn't go to disneyworld again if you paid him. it is just a totally different audience.

I saw Avatar in theaters when it was current. Visually "Wow" but the story didn't move me at all. Director James Cameron has worked closely with Disney on the Pandora project and I want to believe he has shared his vision for the 4 planned sequels and Disney liked what they heard. For Disney to devote this much time/money/energy into a movie that's not even their IP there must be confidence among the WDW suits that the franchise has a very bright future.

Another thought that occurred to me is that Disney is tapping into the sci-fi world with Star Wars. For the throngs of people who visit the DHS for SW attractions and events Pandora could entice some guests to visit AK.

"James Cameron does what James Cameron does, because James Cameron IS James Cameron."

I loved Avatar as I have loved all James Cameron movies. Excited for the land and the new movies!

Star Wars really doesn't appeal to children.

I think many are casting judgement on the movie before all the parts are out. Some are saying it's not a classic like Star Wars...when Star Wars came out 30+ years ago lol

lol, tell that to the hordes of elementary aged children wearing star wars merch, playing with lightsabers, building star wars legos, etc. Preschoolers might not but they aren't the only audience, far from it.

Can't one view the creatures from Avatar as mythical beasts?

Not in any way that makes sense. Mythical creatures are those that exist in the myths and folklore of an actual culture. The creatures in Avatar are actual animals in a fictional setting. Perhaps the one huge dragon thing in Avatar because I think they mention a legend where the one who tames it will lead them or something like that. But in the creatures of Pandora in the general sense would not be well described that way.

Not in any way that makes sense. Mythical creatures are those that exist in the myths and folklore of an actual culture. The creatures in Avatar are actual animals in a fictional setting. Perhaps the one huge dragon thing in Avatar because I think they mention a legend where the one who tames it will lead them or something like that. But in the creatures of Pandora in the general sense would not be well described that way.

They are basically "sci-fi/fantasy" creatures, but I agree, they are not mythical or mythological, in that they do not originate from our shared folklore. Still, it suits me fine. There are many "mythical" creatures over at Magic Kingdom, what with dragons and mermaids and all.

FYI, there are TWO kinds of dragons in Avatar, the "Banshee" or "Ikran" which is the one the hunters bond with and ride, then there is the "Taruk" - translated as "Last Shadow" - which is a bigger, badder creature, and only a very special person can ride it. The Ikran is what the ride vehicles for Flight of Passage are supposed to resemble.

FYI, for those interested in watching Avatar, there are three cuts, the original theatrical version, an extended cut which had a theatrical release, and then the extra extended cut. The Blu-ray has all three, but I would recommend the second version the most. It adds a few key things that give the story a little more background, but does not go overboard. I feel the third cut goes to far since it not only adds stuff but re-edits some of the existing material. The extended cut that got the theatrical release is the perfect version, IMO.
Brian, is the one you recommend the one with the added opening scene in the bar, or is that the third one? I've only watched my Blu-ray once, and that was the one I saw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter