Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

Finished 2 out of my 20 book goal...In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

A classic true crime novel that covers the murder of a prominent family in small town Kansas in the late 1950s.

It is fascinating, and gives you a look at the lives of the murderers and what led them to commit this senseless crime.

9. Dance of Death by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
#6 of the Pendergast series. Not bad but a definite lead into the next book.

10. Tombstone Courage by JA Jance
The second in the Joanna Brady series. I've just started reading Jance books and I like all three of the series that I have started. I'm afraid Jance will appear frequently on my list this year. This continues the story started in the first one then branches off into a new mystery that she solves as brand new elected sheriff. I liked it.

11. The President's Shadow by Brad Meltzer.
Meltzer writes a lot of political intrigue. This one is the third in the Culper Ring series. I have already read the first two and I didn't like this one as much. Not bad but it just didnt hold my attention as well.

Finished book #11/70 - How To Party With an Infant by Kaui Hart Hemmings

I did not care for this book at all. I couldn't stand any of the moms in this, including the main character.

When Mele Bart told her boyfriend Bobby she was pregnant with his child, he stunned her with an announcement of his own: he was engaged to someone else.
Fast forward two years, Mele’s daughter is a toddler, and Bobby and his fiancée want Ellie to be the flower girl at their wedding. Mele, who also has agreed to attend the nuptials, knows she can’t continue obsessing about Bobby and his cheese making, Napa-residing, fiancée. She needs something to do. So she answers a questionnaire provided by the San Francisco Mommy Club in elaborate and shocking detail and decides to enter their cookbook writing contest. Even though she joined the group out of desperation, Mele has found her people: Annie, Barrett, Georgia, and Henry (a stay-at-home dad). As the wedding date approaches, Mele uses her friends’ stories to inspire recipes and find comfort, both.

Week 6 - Read four books this week which brings me to 24/104. I have also gotten about 200 pages into Atlas Shrugged but it has been slow going. I remember starting this in college and thinking it was so terrific but not having time to get through it. I am apparently much changed in the 40 some years since then and am not finding it all that compelling but will keep slogging along with it.

The Marvelous Misadventures of Ingrid Winter by J.S. Drangsholt. This was a translation from Norwegian and it made no sense to me. It did not have a plot or any interesting characters.

The Gauguin Connection by Genevieve Lenard. This was an mystery/international conspiracy where the main character is a woman who is autistic but has made her quirks into a successful career as an insurance investigator.

The Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon. A non-fiction account of a young Afghanistan woman who manages to keep her family and her neighbors from starvation by creating a home business in spite of all the rules and restrictions put into place by the Taliban. This was a very enlightening story of ordinary people reaching beyond themselves to keep going under an oppressive regime.

The Bakers Wife by Erin Healy is a Christian mystery which is not overwhelming preaching and not the 'happily ever after' story that is so much of women's Christian fiction.

11/100 - Detroit Resurrected by Nathan Bomey

A chronicle of Detroit's bankruptcy, written by a former Free Press reporter who covered it in real time and conducted scores of interviews with the major players to uncover the behind-the-scenes bargaining and deal-making that shaped the process. It was fascinating and full of details I had never read elsewhere despite following the case closely in the press. It was a good read, with some of the tone and suspense of a true crime story although there was no crime and the reader already knows much of the outcome. I really enjoyed it and look forward to Bomey's next book - he just signed a contract on a deal for a book about the rise of fake news in America.

12/100 - Daughters of the Dragon by William Andrews

This was absolutely heartbreaking. Told mainly in flashback as a young Korean-American adoptee sits down with her birth grandmother on a trip to Seoul seeking her roots, it is the story of a young Korean woman whose life was torn apart by her forced service as a comfort woman for the Japanese army during their occupation of the Korean peninsula and her struggles to survive not only the physical trauma of the experience but also the lasting stigma of being among the women shunned by their own culture for the "shame" and "dishonor" of their rapes at the hands of an occupying army. It was a truly beautiful story, told through the eyes of a strong female character and another just coming into her own, and to be honest I was a bit surprised to find that the author was male because the feminine perspective was so well done.

13/100 - The Elephant in the Room by Jon Ronson

I can't say a whole lot about this one without violating DIS rules, but I will start with this - don't waste your time. It was absolutely written aimed a particular set of political views but even from the perspective of someone who shares them it was a flop: short, shallow, and ultimately quite pointless, the attempt of a writer with a tangential connection to high-profile events and people to cash in on that association but devoid of either a truly personal perspective or in depth analysis that could have made it an informative read.

16/100 Kissing in the Dark by Wendy Lingstrom 2/5 11:02am
Historical romance the last of the brothers falls in love with a woman who has a secret. Super fun fluffy read.

17/100 Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim 2/9 9:46pm
Kindle prime reading book. Really good book about the south during slavery. Some bits are heavy

18/100 Her Hopes and Dreams by Terri Osburn 2/9 10:31pm
Romance. Cassie's love story talks about ptsd and domestic violence. Good fluffy read.

19/20 The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane 2/10 2:02pm
Wow! The imagery and way the author uses words just paints a picture of a single civil war battle. People who love the art of words would really enjoy this book.

#6/18 - Joyland by Stephen King

College student Devin Jones took the summer job at Joyland hoping to forget the girl who broke his heart. But he wound up facing something far more terrible: the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and dark truths about life—and what comes after—that would change his world forever.

#5/60

Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes

Just ok. A few interesting bits, ending just ended, lol. Wouldn't recommend.

#7/18 - Spinning Disney's World - Charles Ridgway

An official "Disney Legend," newsman Charlie Ridgway started covering Disneyland before it opened. A few years later, he hired on as a publicist for Disney and spent the next forty years cooking up ways to get "the Mouse" free publicity. For Donald Duck's fiftieth birthday he trained 50 white Peking ducks to waddle behind Donald down Main Street, U.S.A. He helped open new Disney parks in Orlando, Paris and Hong Kong. Along the way he rubbed shoulders with presidents and princes, helped usher in the era of electronic newsgathering, and was on a first-name basis with every great journalist of the last half of the twentieth century. In this engaging and light-hearted memoir, Ridgway shares the special magic that makes Disney's world universally beloved.

#10/80: The Dream Lover by Elizabeth Berg (2/5) (historical fiction/George Sands/female French writer/1800s)

I probably should have quit this book. It read like a romance novel, which isn't my thing.

I am ready to expand my reading skills once again, I've already made a Google spreadsheet of this challenge. Yayyyy!

I just finished "Razor Girl". Although Carl Hiaason is usually good for a laugh, I found this book just too difficult to follow and thus laugh at. There were just too many sub-plots, characters, etc. I think it was #8.

Week Seven -I completed four books this week. That puts me at 28/104. This week's books are:

The Night Bird by Brian Freeman, crime/police procedure fiction.

Every Bride by Janice Thompson, Christian romance fiction when the standard 'happily ever after' ending.

A Map of Heaven by Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson. This book would be classified contemporary Christian fiction. But it is a much different read than much of Christian romance. It is Christian apologetic cleverly disguised as fiction.

The Perfect Son by Barbara Claypole White. This is contemporary literature. In it Ella, Felix, and their teenage son, Harry have long ago achieved a way of life that allowed them to, mostly successfully, navigate the difficulties of Tourette’s, anxiety, ADHD, and undiagnosed OCPD. But when Ella—the family’s anchor—has a severe heart attack, their perfectly ordered life is capsized into a sea of “what if” and “what now.” Felix and Harry—with the help of Max, Harry’s best friend, Katherine, Ella’s best friend, and Eudora, an elderly, next-door Yoda—must learn to rely on each other to weather the storm.

Last edited:
#6/60

Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters

Sad to say out of the 6 books I have managed to finish this year, this is the best one, lol.

'Susan and Alex Wendt have found their dream apartment. Sure, the landlady is a little eccentric. And the elderly handyman drops some crypic remarks about the basement. But the rent is so low, it's too good to pass up.
Big mistake. Susan soon discovers that her new home is crawling with bedbugs...or is it? She awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter has a single welt. An exterminator searches the property and turns up nothing. The landlady insists her building is clean. Susan fears she's going mad...until a more sinister explanation presents itself: she may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from Hell.'

#3 Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

I have to say I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I grabbed it from my oldest daughters room. Which is quite surprising cause my oldest never read to many books and very few of the books she read I ever enjoyed. It is the first Zombie I have ever read. Not particularly a zombie fan. I am assuming most of the other zombie books POV are from the living. This one not so, this one your eyes are in the zombie itself. Author did a really good job letting you feel zombie like though I have to admit the zombie had an inner vocabulary much more impressive than my own.
It also nice to see zombies have relationships, and other things like they were trying to hold onto life. This becomes quite an involved part of the book. As I said not really a zombie fan mainly cause to me they just really to me seem goofy conceptually to goofy to even enjoy reading for fun. This book did not do much to dispel the goofiness but it was enough fun to enjoy. Not surprised at all this was made into a movie. I am surprised I never heard of it.

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of my works, Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them reviewed on goodreads. Just PM here or there or like post.)

#3 Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

I have to say I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I grabbed it from my oldest daughters room. Which is quite surprising cause my oldest never read to many books and very few of the books she read I ever enjoyed. It is the first Zombie I have ever read. Not particularly a zombie fan. I am assuming most of the other zombie books POV are from the living. This one not so, this one your eyes are in the zombie itself. Author did a really good job letting you feel zombie like though I have to admit the zombie had an inner vocabulary much more impressive than my own.
It also nice to see zombies have relationships, and other things like they were trying to hold onto life. This becomes quite an involved part of the book. As I said not really a zombie fan mainly cause to me they just really to me seem goofy conceptually to goofy to even enjoy reading for fun. This book did not do much to dispel the goofiness but it was enough fun to enjoy. Not surprised at all this was made into a movie. I am surprised I never heard of it.

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of my works, Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them reviewed on goodreads. Just PM here or there or like post.)

I did not know that this was a book! I saw the movie years ago; it was sweet and funny.

I did not know that this was a book! I saw the movie years ago; it was sweet and funny.
I didn't know it was a movie. Book was sweet and funny too. Not great but sweet and funny. After reading I saw on Goodreads there were additional books written, but this really stands alone fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter