Another TCD Trip Report-August 2009 @ The Fort!

Thanks TCD for the pictures. Anything new happening in the cabin loops?

We were there from the 16th to the 29th. Sorry we missed everyone that was there! We were looking tho!
I was at the trading post when one of the managers came in telling the senior employee to send employees home as she had underestimated the crowds for the day. I was listening as they talked and the manager (I am guessing since she was dressed differently then the others) said they were under 50% occupancy. When I got in line to pay I asked about the 50% since the Fort was so empty did she mean the World was under 50% or the Fort. She wouldn't answer me and changed the subject. Since the Fort appeared to be at about 20% I am guessing they were talking about all of WDW!

That Airstream that pulled into their site is facing another Airstream. Bet they were camping together.

I think now that the Contemporary Resort's tennis courts have been removed, Fort Wilderness may be the only WDW resort with tennis courts. Anyone know?

TCD

Boardwalk has tennis courts. You cut right just past the tennis courts if you are walking between Studios and Epcot for a shortcut :-)

"While I was in this part of the Fort, I decided to check out the group camping area. I have never seen a group use this area in the summer, and there were no groups back here this weekend."

In the dozen or so times we have stayed at the Fort, I think once we saw the area being used. It has always made me wonder why Disney lets an area like this go unused so much. After all it already has a comfort station, bus stop, an unhooking area nearby, etc. I bet it would make a great place for big rigs if they made all pull through sites and called them "ultra-premium".

I have seen the group camping area used on most weekends when I have visited in the Fall through Spring. And, for Thanksgiving week, it is occupied by tipis. But, you are right, it is very underutilized, and there is definitely enough space there for a camping loop. And, with the bridge to the 900 loop, it is really not that remote.

Thanks TCD for the pictures. Anything new happening in the cabin loops?

I only went around the 2100 loop, and I did check out the cabin pool. Nothing new to report.

We were there from the 16th to the 29th. Sorry we missed everyone that was there! We were looking tho!
I was at the trading post when one of the managers came in telling the senior employee to send employees home as she had underestimated the crowds for the day. I was listening as they talked and the manager (I am guessing since she was dressed differently then the others) said they were under 50% occupancy. When I got in line to pay I asked about the 50% since the Fort was so empty did she mean the World was under 50% or the Fort. She wouldn't answer me and changed the subject. Since the Fort appeared to be at about 20% I am guessing they were talking about all of WDW!

What site were you in? I agree with you about the occupancy of the Fort, but I found the parks and restaurants to be busy, so I am don't think that all WDW as a whole was slow, just the Fort.

That Airstream that pulled into their site is facing another Airstream. Bet they were camping together.

Yes, I think that must be it. I'll bet they didn't plan on their sites being so far apart.

Boardwalk has tennis courts. You cut right just past the tennis courts if you are walking between Studios and Epcot for a shortcut :-)

Thanks, Carol. I figured there must be some more around. In fact, I just found out that there still are two tennis courts at the Contemporary. I believe that there are tennis courts at Yacht and Beach Club, Old Key West, and Shades of Green, as well. I am thinking there must be some at Saratoga Springs, too. So, the Fort's tennis courts are not as rare as I thought.

TCD

Wow, I'm actually caught up!....I got to the end of this page, went to click Pg. 7, and there was no Pg. 7! So I guess it's time to reply....:rolleyes:

This thread is AWESOME!!!:thumbsup2

I am loving the photos (yay "quantity!!"). We haven't stayed at the Fort since '96 but have a long-awaited trip booked for Thanksgiving next year (gee, only 444 more days, according to my desktop countdown ticker...). Truth be told, I've been waffling back and forth lately on whether to do that trip or not, but reading your TR and looking at all the pictures.....well who wouldn't do the trip?!!

So keep 'em coming! More! More!!

I was excited about our upcoming trip before I read your trip report, but now I am thrilled that we decided to stay here. I can't wait. I kept calling my DH into our computer room to look at your photos. He isn't as excited as I am, so he was not impressed with the quanity of photos...but I am! The splash area at the pool looks amazing...just the right size for my DD.

Deb, I also was surprised that the Sky Bridge was open to the elements, and I also thought it was strange that the glass or plastic that was installed was opaque. Even that had spaces in between it, which suggested to me that they don't intend to heat or air condition the bridge. I thought that maybe the opaque panels were there to hide something unsightly, but, I peeked through the cracks, and I didn't see anything that they would want to hide from guest view. Weird. I agree with you, after a few good Florida storms with sideways rain, they will be rethinking the decision not to enclose the bridge.

One thing that I noticed in the pool area, but did not photograph (how did that happen?) were a couple of long, rectangular areas that looked like they could be for shuffleboard, but they were bigger. And, there was a shuffleboard court there already. Any idea what these other areas were?

I'm not sure what areas you mean. There were some long, rectangular fountains, but even from the sky-bridge, you would know they were fountains.

And before you give the BLT pool the most super duper award, have you seen the new pool area at the AKL villas? I think I would give the nod to that one.

And, all things considered, I would rather have the FW pool.

TCD

Actually, AKL villas is one resort I've never gone to. AKL yes, villas - no. Hmmmm....maybe I'll take a gander one of these trips! :rolleyes1

Actually, AKL villas is one resort I've never gone to. AKL yes, villas - no. Hmmmm....maybe I'll take a gander one of these trips! :rolleyes1

Deb, the area of the pool deck that I was talking about would be below the shuffleboard court that you see at the very bottom of this photo:

FW809569.jpg

There were large, rectangular area, kind of like a horse shoe pit or something. I think I found out the answer, though. I think these are for bocce ball! I found a post where someone who stayed at BLT was complaining about people paying bocce ball right outside of her room.

Here's a photo that I swiped:

bocce.jpg

I think the AKL villas and new pool area just opened a few months ago. We visited over the summer. The new pool area is very nice. Great attention to detail. And, I cannot believe the size of the buildings that they built over there. This project is huge! Disney must be making a mint off of DVC, because they have built DVC rooms like crazy in the past few years.

TCD

TCD--

You have completely sold my family on FW. The only thing is, DD 15 wants to know when your family will be there so we can park next to you! I think I have a hernia from laughing so hard as I have read the entire trip report, editing out only the most normal, mundane parts, to my DD. If it's not a hernia, it's at least a real bad pain in my side. :rotfl:

Thanks for the 7,324 photos. I have the best idea of what the Fort's loops look like now and that's really helpful. I may have to move the new rig and 5th wheel purchase up for the next trip to WDW!

What site were you in? I agree with you about the occupancy of the Fort, but I found the parks and restaurants to be busy, so I am don't think that all WDW as a whole was slow, just the Fort.
TCD

We were in 322. I think the sites on each side of us went through 4-5 campers each during our stay. The 300 loop would go from full one day to empty the next. Looks like during your stay we were spending time at Universal :eek:.

The parks were busy but we waited 20 mins tops for rides until we got to HS on Thursday the 27th. We barely got close to the new Toy Story Ride 70-80 minute waits for it and the fast passes were gone by the time I got there!

TCD--

You have completely sold my family on FW. The only thing is, DD 15 wants to know when your family will be there so we can park next to you! I think I have a hernia from laughing so hard as I have read the entire trip report, editing out only the most normal, mundane parts, to my DD. If it's not a hernia, it's at least a real bad pain in my side. :rotfl:

Thanks for the 7,324 photos. I have the best idea of what the Fort's loops look like now and that's really helpful. I may have to move the new rig and 5th wheel purchase up for the next trip to WDW!

I don't think it is quite 7,324 photos. It just seems that way. You definitely should expedite the 5th wheel purchase and get to the Fort.

We were in 322. I think the sites on each side of us went through 4-5 campers each during our stay. The 300 loop would go from full one day to empty the next. Looks like during your stay we were spending time at Universal :eek:.

The parks were busy but we waited 20 mins tops for rides until we got to HS on Thursday the 27th. We barely got close to the new Toy Story Ride 70-80 minute waits for it and the fast passes were gone by the time I got there!

322 you say?

There might be a photo of your site in the next batch of photos, coming up.

That is interesting about the Toy Story line. And on a Thursday? It is weird how busy the parks were when the Fort was a ghost town. It's that danged free dining, I tell you.

TCD

Now, here are some shots from the 300 loop, which was probably one of the fullest loops all weekend. Maybe I got a shot of Ram101's site?:

FW809722.jpg

FW809723.jpg

Check out this fellow:

FW809724.jpg

A custom-made rack for a cooler! This guy was from New Jersey. A real man of genius! I salute you!

Here are a couple more from 300:

FW809725.jpg

FW809726.jpg

And, now we are on 100. Notice how you can see all the way across the loop in some of these shots. Because there were no RV's to block the view:

FW809727.jpg

FW809728.jpg

FW809729.jpg

FW809730.jpg

FW809731.jpg

FW809733.jpg

FW809734.jpg

FW809735.jpg

Remember the guy who was broadcasting video live from the Fort? Here are some more photos of his set up in the 100 loop. Since he filmed his across the street neighbor for a few days, I thought it was only fair for us to all get a good look at his site. Notice how he has two tents set up in addition to his motorhome. Almost looks like one of those hippie communes!:

FW809732.jpg

FW809736.jpg

FW809737.jpg

FW809738.jpg

FW809739.jpg

I tried to get a photo of his parking permit so we would have his name in case anyone wanted to thank him personally, and Ram101 could run the name through appropriate databases, but as you can see, it was partly obstructed:

FW809740.jpg

Down at the Settlement:

FW809741.jpg

FW809742.jpg

FW809743.jpg

FW809744.jpg

FW809745.jpg

I hate to tell you, but we are getting near the end here. I think one more post, and this puppy will be done.

But, it ain’t over yet, so be sure to check back.

TCD

That is very interesting 2 tents and a RV in the 100 loop? Can anyone do that?

If I were the camper behind him, I wouldn't be to happy having someone place a tent in my campsite. Guess I've always thought that your campsite consisted of the area between your RV and the one in front of you. The space behind your rig belongs to the other camper.

You sure got us in that set of pics!! :goodvibes Now it is the 2nd the picture with the gold mini-van in front of the Coachman Class C, you can see the golf cart just behind the minivan. The RV is right behind the Comfort Station sign! We rented the car for a few days to do Universal and some other running around.
Out of curiousity do you remember what time it was that you were lurking around my campsite?

FW809724.jpg

A custom-made rack for a cooler! This guy was from New Jersey. A real man of genius! I salute you!

The most impressive part... he had the cooler loaded hinges facing forward. Genius, sheer genius!

ShantaClausSm.png

OKW has tennis courts also and i believe GF has them.

eta: oops didn't realize you had mentioned that earlier.

also, the guy with the camera set up, i only know his first name - deano - they call him. he was in the chat everynight with the live cam on. not sure if i mentioned this before but he said another guest complained about the camera and security had to come but he was allowed to keep it up. someone else also mentioned someone taking a picture of his set up, lol. so someone watching the livestream must have seen you, TCD!

Apparently, based on what I have seen of late, you can put a tent wherever you like. Before they did the extensive clearing that has been going on the past couple of years, there were natural limitations on where you could put a tent. There were bushes and brush, and such that would limit where a tent could go around a site. Now that all of the undergrowth has been cleared, people are putting tents everywhere.

If I were the camper behind him, I wouldn't be to happy having someone place a tent in my campsite. Guess I've always thought that your campsite consisted of the area between your RV and the one in front of you. The space behind your rig belongs to the other camper.

I am not sure I am following you. In the preferred and full loops, there is a sand pad behind where you park your RV. That is definitely part of your campsite, and it's OK to put a tent there. So, I don't see the space behind your RV as belonging to another camper. But, I do agree with the point that I think you are trying to make- which is, there is no clear definition of what space goes with each campsite. I have seen, for example, a tent set up between two sites that takes up all the space between those two sites. What if the neighbor wanted to put a tent there, too? And, I have seen folks set up tents a considerable distance behind their sand pad, or in the case of a premium site, their concrete pad. For example, on the 800 loop, after renovation, I saw a tent set up behind the concrete slab, totally off of the slab, and almost into the pet walk area. I would not be surprised to see some rules come out on this.

You sure got us in that set of pics!! :goodvibes Now it is the 2nd the picture with the gold mini-van in front of the Coachman Class C, you can see the golf cart just behind the minivan. The RV is right behind the Comfort Station sign! We rented the car for a few days to do Universal and some other running around.
Out of curiousity do you remember what time it was that you were lurking around my campsite?

Just a second, here.

You are a cop, right?

And you want to know when I was lurking around your site?

Am I under investigation?

I am going to lawyer-up.

I take the 5th.

(I learned that from watching cop shows- I'll bet you love that)

J/K

My camera says I took the 300 loop photos at 7:59 am on 8/23/09.

And, whatever it is that you are investigating . . .

I didn't do it.

The most impressive part... he had the cooler loaded hinges facing forward. Genius, sheer genius!

ShantaClausSm.png

I didn't notice that.

I guess it would be a bit inconvenient to get to your beer that way.

But, that is probably the best way to place the cooler for driving on the Interstate?

FW809724.jpg

Actually it is not only a cooler hauler, but the long straight tubes are used to hold surf fishing poles for when you go to the beach. Here is the online site for several styles of rod racks....
http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/equip_racks_jerseysurf.htm

Wow, who knew? So, are you supposed to drive around with fishing poles in those holders? Or are those there to use once you arrive at your destination?

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter