Another Thanksgiving question- Paper plates or washable plates?

I pulled out my Christmas dishes and use them starting tomorrow and a few more times including Christmas and New Years. They have to be handwashed but I love them.
Pflatzgraff Winterberry is the name.

My family does the dishes while I relax. It's the least they can do after I cook a good meal for them. LOL

We use Pflatzgraff Winterberry too! But I put mine in the dishwasher - according to the care instructions and the website they are dishwasher and microwave safe. One of the reasons I love it so much. I am missing something should it not go in the dishwasher? My serving bowls and platters will be hand washed - but mostly because they just won't fit in with all the regular plates. It's our first year hosting Thanksgiving - I'm excited to get to set the table and make it "pretty".

If >12 people, I'd use a combo of our regular every day plates. If 12 or less people, I use my great-grandmother's fancy china that 4 generations have been using now. We use it only 2-3 times a year (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas). It all has to be hand-washed.

Always disposable. The upgraded ones from Costco. Very hard plastic.
I was married 25 years ago and received China for 16 with all the serving pieces. It is still in the boxes!

We use Pflatzgraff Winterberry too! But I put mine in the dishwasher - according to the care instructions and the website they are dishwasher and microwave safe. One of the reasons I love it so much. I am missing something should it not go in the dishwasher? My serving bowls and platters will be hand washed - but mostly because they just won't fit in with all the regular plates. It's our first year hosting Thanksgiving - I'm excited to get to set the table and make it "pretty".

I just get nervous that the pretty print will come off the plates so while I've got teens at home, I'm having them hand wash it. I've got enough plates for 20 people. It's been a few years since we've had that many people though.

I also forgot to mention that I pull out my 1950's Green Depression Glassware for water glasses. It's the Cherry Blossom design so it looks really nice with the Christmas dishes. I use that glassware quite often. I've always figured why not use it since I've got it. That definitely has to be hand washed.

I have several sets of dishes- I will use them on holidays as when else will I use them.

Some of my fondest childhood memories are being in the kitchen with all my cousins doing dishes after holidays. My mom and aunts cooked and the kids cleaned up. We never got mad at having to do dishes because it was always so fun with all of us. This is a tradition we still observe in our family today.

I'd not want to use real dishes either if I had to wash and clean myself. We have a huge family so no need. Happy Thanksgiving Everybody:lovestruc

When someone else is hosting, I'm in. Whatever they prefer.

Just remember the bone discard plate! ;)
(OP: this is an inside joke from a table setting thread!)

Last edited:
Thanksgiving dinner has always been at my Gammy's house and she's always set the table with her china, but this year it was all disposable dinnerware. We packed everything up and brought it to the brain injury facility that my mom is in so we could all have dinner together. :)

Change of plans today....went to DS's and their dishwasher broke, so they switched to paper plates

Follow up question...

Has anyone started the dishes yet? We’ve boxed up the leftovers but I’m scared to go in the kitchen. My dh and DS6 are at Best Buy and I’m online shopping and doing my post surgery knee exercises.

We did most of the clean up between the meal and dessert.
Wasn't much to do after that......and we left, so DS and DDIL can deal with the rest of it.

Follow up question...

Has anyone started the dishes yet? We’ve boxed up the leftovers but I’m scared to go in the kitchen. My dh and DS6 are at Best Buy and I’m online shopping and doing my post surgery knee exercises.
Just finished mine up. Can’t believe how many there were considering I kept up on them the entire day as I was cooking.

Thanksgiving is a formal dinner like Christmas and Easter, always washable dishes, the GOOD china, and kids get the regular dishes if more than 12 attending. Paper plates are for BBQ's and picnics. Same with the napkins, folded cloth napkins for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

Dish washer empty when dinner is started. We always do the dishes was a family after eating taking turns, whether loading the dishwasher or washing by hand, drying or putting away. makes the job go by quick.

Last edited:
Whatever is easiest for the host. I am not going to stick my nose up and judge people because of the dishware they use. That's just stupid. The plates are not going to make or break the meal (unless they are thin and the gravy soaks through lol). The day is about family and friends... not about showing off.

I agree that whatever is easiest on the host is what matters. I am happy that someone cooked for me!

Always disposable. The upgraded ones from Costco. Very hard plastic.
I was married 25 years ago and received China for 16 with all the serving pieces. It is still in the boxes!

LOL!! I love setting the table and most holidays I do just that, but there have been a few meals that I just say no. Before my son married his contribution to the meal was alway the Costco plates! LOL! Best contribution!

We use real, but I don't disagree with people who use paper. I have a neighbor who has at least 25 people over every major holiday meal. She does paper.

The only time we use paper are birthday parties for the kids and power outages.

Full sit down dinner for 30...paper!

Between all the sides, serving dishes, pots, pans, dessert dishes, cups, utensils, it would take two days to wash it all.

We use real plates on Thanksgiving for our small crowd.
We do have big crowd of about 35 coming for dinner tomorrow.
I will break out the chinet paper plates and listen to several of the elders complain about eating off paper plates and drinking from plastic cups, offer them a plate from the cupboard, they refuse the plate.. Ahh, Traditions!!!

We use real plates on Thanksgiving for our small crowd.
We do have big crowd of about 35 coming for dinner tomorrow.
I will break out the chinet paper plates and listen to several of the elders complain about eating off paper plates and drinking from plastic cups, offer them a plate from the cupboard, they refuse the plate.. Ahh, Traditions!!!

LOL, this just reminded me of my sister's SIL. The Sister-in-law is a little nuts to say the least, but anyway last Christmas she had my sister's family over and their other brother & his wife over along with her father. So, there were 8 people total but she was insistent on using everything paper only. Apparently my brother-in-law was not aware of this and after dinner grabbed a mug & poured himself a cup of coffee. The SIL FREAKED, grabbed it from him, dumped it into a crappy paper cup and rinsed out the mug muttering that she was NOT about to wash any dishes that day. Crappy paper cups belong in a hospital waiting room, or a gas station, not a nice, cozy, family holiday dinner.

We ate at boyfriend's mother's yesterday, she has a very small house with no dishwasher so it was paper, but cute thanksgiving themed, napkins too. We are hosting a meal for 6 adults and 3 small children on Saturday but will use real dishes, maybe cute paper ones for dessert. I moved in with boyfriend in April and all my good china is still packed up along with my Christmas dishes. I am thinking I'll unpack the Christmas ones though, there aren't near as many of those and they put me in a very festive mood. It's the Pfaltzgraff Winterwood pattern.

PAPER - I host and do most of the cooking, so I have enough stuff to clean (pots, pans, serving platters, serving utensils, etc.)....makes life so much easier...they were really cute too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter