Any experience w/Molloscum?

My 9 year old DS has Molloscum. Primary care confirmed it. We tried apple cider vinegar home remedy suggested by the primary, which was helpful. Took him to a dermatologist who froze them off bc there were so many - there were 44. We went for the 2nd treatment yesterday and she froze off 20 more. We have another appt in 3 weeks. I'm told it is a virus and can last months to years. Primary care said it is ok to swim in chlorine pool. Dermatologist said it's NOT ok to swim in pool. We are going to Florida next month and DS will be devastated if he can't be in the pool. Luckily, we are staying right on the beach too so he can go in the ocean, but if all the other kids are in the pool he will be so sad and feel left out. He is just a little boy and we are all looking forward to the trip. Anyone been through this? Any words of wisdom or insight? Any thoughts re: pool? Thanks.
So the CDC has two official positions that relate to this.
  1. If all the lesions are treated (removed), your son no longer has the virus and thus cannot transmit it to others. (https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/molluscum-contagiosum/transmission.html near bottom).
  2. There is not really any good scientific data that demonstrates that swimming pools facilitate the transmission of this disease. And... since about 10% of the population has this virus at any given moment the actual risk of infecting someone is marginal and low, where as, "Exclusion may interfere with much needed physical and social outlets as well as create social stigma." (https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/molluscum-contagiosum/sp_recommendations.html) This CDC article gives some good practices on how to minimize transmission risk.
I wouldn't dream of contradicting your own doctor. I'm not a doctor. But the CDC is a pretty authoritative source and they seem to be answering your question pretty directly. Perhaps show your dermatologist these articles and ask if he would approve if you promise to follow the CDC recommendations.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter